Dilemma-How to reject an accepted offer to accept a new one

biggus

Hi All,

I accepted PhD (via e-mail, no signed documents submitted yet) offer from FSU on 14th April as it was the best choice then. On 15th April (Evening of 14th April in Purdue), I got an acceptance in PhD program for which I was waitlisted.

I want to joing Purdue University. Can anyone tell me how difficult this wud be? Is it a common situation or a rare one?

- Since I have emailed FSU regarding my acceptance, do i still need to inform Purdue before accepting the offer. Or accept the Purdue offer without informing them anything about FSU?

- If email acceptance is as good as a signed accpetance - What process do i need to follow? (Have seen discussions regarding a written release from the accepted univ. etc.)

- If this is the case then how difficult is to get a release and how long does it take?

- Can FSU also refuse to release me - What can be other consequences?

Anyone here who has also faced the same situation.

I plan to call Purdue today..so pls give your suggestion asap

Thanks

You need to request a release from Florida State (in writing) before you can accept the offer from Purdue. you should email the Director of Graduate Studies there and ask to be released. After you receive a release, in writing, from FSU, you can accept the Purdue offer. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a similar situation right now. I accepted an offer to my "safety" school by the 15th because it was the only offer I'd gotten; I'd been waitlisted at my dream school. A week and a half after the deadline, I was moved off the waitlist and my dream school and offered a great financial package. Now I'm trying to go through the process of getting a release from the safety school, and it's pretty stressful. I've been trying to contact the department for three days and haven't gotten a response yet. It's so frustrating! I'd really hate to miss the chance to go to my top-choice program because of a technicality.

A lot of schools just finished exams and have commencement this weekend so the people you need may be kind of busy. I expect they will understand about your situation but I would be super anxious if I were you, too!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use