State College, PA

Guest Ms. Geology

So far, Penn State is the front runner among schools who have accepted me, but I'm very concerned about housing. I have a wife and two kids, and would really like a three bedroom place (although we could probably make a two bedroom work, in a pinch). People have said that there is housing for families, but forrent.com (the main site I'm using for comparisons among schools) has literally nothing in the area. Basically, what I'm asking is: how much should I expect to pay for a three bedroom apartment in the area?

Davolicious, I'm in the same boat. My husband's only acceptance is from Penn State, and housing looks fairly abysmal for married couples and families. May I suggest Bellefonte? It's ten miles from State College, and seems to have some nice, affordable houses.

Jabco Reality Management tends to have some decent options, and this site has a list of all property management companies within the State College area. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you find anything else!

EJ - Your comment made me laugh because I think my husband is just as stressed out as me (maybe more)! Kudos to spouses who are willing to move across the country for their loved ones' education!

Thanks for the housing tips. I think the key to affordable family housing is to look at the suburbs outside of State College. We are also looking into Boalsburg.

I got my first acceptance from Penn State and I've got to say that I don't see how any of the other schools can beat their offer. The "tiny program on a huge campus" setting sounds perfect to me.

They're paying to fly me out to visit the campus in about a month, and I was glad to find out that my wife is welcome to attend (though we have to fly her at our expense, obviously). So, it sounds like they're pretty family friendly in that respect. During the visit I'm supposed to have a few opportunities to hang out with the current students, so if I get any good tips on housing for "the marrieds" I'll post it here.

I was recently accepted to a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program at The Pennsylvania State University. I am single, in my early 20s, and I'm thinking of living on campus in the graduate housing. Has anyone here lived (or does anyone here currently live) in Penn State Graduate Housing?...Any information will be much appreciated.

I'm waiting to hear about funding. Assuming that I am at least partially funded, I definitely plan on becoming a "PENN STATER." I've been listening to "The Penn State Blue Band" musical selections everyday (The Nittany Lion, Penn State Alma Mater, etc.)...LOL...I'm quite excited, as Penn State was my first choice (and also happens to be number 1 in my field, though my reason for applying had to do with the faculty of the program to which I applied)...

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

GO NITTANY LIONS!!!

WE ARE.........................PENN STATE!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Penn State PhD Bound

I was recently accepted to a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program at The Pennsylvania State University. I am single, in my early 20s, and I'm thinking of living on campus in the graduate housing. Has anyone here lived (or does anyone here currently live) in Penn State Graduate Housing?...Any information will be much appreciated.

I'm waiting to hear about funding. Assuming that I am at least partially funded, I definitely plan on becoming a "PENN STATER." I've been listening to "The Penn State Blue Band" musical selections everyday (The Nittany Lion, Penn State Alma Mater, etc.)...LOL...I'm quite excited, as Penn State was my first choice (and also happens to be number 1 in my field, though my reason for applying had to do with the faculty of the program to which I applied)...

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

GO NITTANY LIONS!!!

WE ARE.........................PENN STATE!!!!!!!!!

Hi Penn State PhD Bound!

I actually went to Penn State for undergrad and loved it! Wonderful campus, lots of pride, best tailgates/football/stadium, and it's HUGE! A few of my friends were in a grad program and lived in White Course Apartments. It's a great environment within walking distance to the campus (if not, then it's technically on the campus). Close to downtown but away from the frat scene as well :) They're also new and have washer/dryers (did my laundry there every Sunday,actually).

Also, my one friend lived in Atherton Hall and she was a grad student. Not sure if this is normal, but she transferred from a different program.

If you're hoping to live downtown or near Toftrees (nice area, but you need to take the bus to get to campus) then look into Nevins real estate. Do NOT do real estate with AW and Sons. I've heard terrible things. Toftrees is lovely, but look into places closer to the campus as the commute will be annoying since you can't count on the bus system.

PSU is an excellent choice! I've encountered alumni in California, Rome and even in Cairo! Be sure to get student football tickets! Check the dates that the athletic department offers them to grad students. They sell out within a minute. Not kidding.

Should anyone on this thread have any questions about PSU please feel free to pm me :) I know my stuff after living there for four years.

We Are! Penn State!

PS- learn the words to the alma mater, Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" and Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" :)

Edited by Quack Attack

Toftrees is lovely, but look into places closer to the campus as the commute will be annoying since you can't count on the bus system.

Hello Quack! What makes you say that you can't count on the bus system? I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get into the graduate housing, and the bus system looked good "on paper" so I thought I would end up using it.

I wish my other schools would hurry up and reply already so I can officially accept PSU.

Hello Quack! What makes you say that you can't count on the bus system? I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get into the graduate housing, and the bus system looked good "on paper" so I thought I would end up using it.

I wish my other schools would hurry up and reply already so I can officially accept PSU.

Hi A_Murphy,

On days when the weather is nice, the buses typically run on schedule. When it's snowing or raining, the bus packs up fairly quickly and even skips stops. I recall there being several articles in the "Collegiate" saying how many complain about how the Toftrees bus skipped their stop and thus made them late for class. Just something to consider if looking into living in Toftrees.

You should just accept PSU now :) I mean, it's the best haha.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be visiting Penn State next weekend. I almost certainly will accept their offer, but I'm worried about State College feeling very isolating and culturally bland. Does anybody have advice what my partner and I should visit or do to convince ourselves of the opposite?

I grew up in Madison, WI, and my partner grew up in rural town so small that there's only one paved road. There are some things that we're looking forward to--like mountains, outdoor space, quiet--and some things that we're really not looking forward to--like being surrounded by a sea of (mostly) white conservatives and drunken undergrads. What advice would you give about setting up a life in/around State College?

Hello!

I was accepted to the PhD program in Plant Pathology and already did the campus interview (it was the interview that made me love Penn State more than what I read). My question is about housing, specifically about Toftrees. They list different 'types':

Cricklewood

Park Gate

Fox Run

etc

Does anyone know the difference between them? So far I'm considering Fox Run and Cricklewood as they sound the best out of the reviews. If anyone has any insight about these two I would really appreciate it. As for the housing specifics, I am looking for a 1 bed room apartment that is cat friendly (I couldn't bear to live without my kitty!) and preferably with a washer/dryer in the unit but inside the building is fine too. My current apartment has a laundry facility a bit removed but still on-site which in winter is annoying.

Thanks!

Edited by Grad_Plant Path

• 1 month later...

Hey all- My family (wife and 2 sons 5/3) is being dragged along to grad school at Penn State Sociology this fall. We're looking at 2 possible homes, both tiny, but one in Park Forest and one in Boalsburg. Besides the obvious that Boalsburg is farther from campus, does anyone know what the sense of community is like for families with kids in either or both of those?

We're under a time crunch because I was admitted late and are hoping to make a decision over the weekend so we don't end up losing out on both, given the crazy rental market there. Thanks.

Hey all- My family (wife and 2 sons 5/3) is being dragged along to grad school at Penn State Sociology this fall. We're looking at 2 possible homes, both tiny, but one in Park Forest and one in Boalsburg. Besides the obvious that Boalsburg is farther from campus, does anyone know what the sense of community is like for families with kids in either or both of those?

We're under a time crunch because I was admitted late and are hoping to make a decision over the weekend so we don't end up losing out on both, given the crazy rental market there. Thanks.

Hi! I lived in Park Forest and I know people in Boalsburg. Park Forest is definitely good for graduate students and people with young families. I was in Northbrook Apartments, although, I wouldn't recommend them (better idea to go with a house!). Now I live in Valley Vista Park, but I bike through PF every day! And the school district is very good. I'm going to be a graduate student in the Psych department in the fall and my adviser's kids go to Park Forest School. Boalsburg, from what I can tell, is very cute. Only a few miles south of campus, but I know nothing of what it would be like for kids. Hope this helps!

On 4/30/2011 at 1:22 AM, porternd said:

I don't know if you've already made your decision, but Park Forest and Boalsburg are both great places to live. Boalsburg might be more isolated (depending on where you live within Boalsburg), but it is also quaint and nice. Park Forest is filled with families with children and has several parks, an elementary school, and at least one montessori school (preschool/kindergarten). I'm from State College, so I'd say that either one would be good, but Park Forest is closer to commercial areas, so if you haven't made your decision it might be the better bet. South of town is dead.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

What do you think about staying a year or two at White Course Apartments? I'm a single international student so I think staying there for my first year would be good. Are there undergrads in there? Is the competition to get a unit fierce?

Hey Yinche, I wouldn't recommend getting a place at the White Course Apartments. It's way overpriced for a small place. You'll end up sharing a place in a 4-bedroom apartment. You can easily find a single bedroom for yourself in downtown area with lower prices. Do check out craiglist, or housing agency like ARPM, etc. There should be a lot more listing in March.

I'm glad someone revived this topic!

Can anyone share their insight on quiet locations for grad students? I really want to avoid any neighborhood that has loud parties, sports crowds, or a lot of street traffic.

Is there any neighborhood that isn't filled with high-rises and bland apartments? I'm not at all familiar with the area, and don't know if they have older buildings with some more character - like old homes converted to duplexes or apartment units etc.

And is it a better idea to have heat included in the rent? How much would heat run in the dead of winter, for example? And what type of heating is cheapest in State College?

These are really random and specific questions - but hope some of you can shed light on this!

I know some people may say to avoid downtown areas at all costs since they're full of undergraduates. I disagree. If you're not planning on having a car, living within a walking distance from downtown areas will be a LOT more convenient. The central bus station is located on College Ave and you can take various buses to Walmart, Wegmans, Nittany Mall or the movie theatres from here. You can walk to your school and most of the shops, restaurants, pubs and convenient stores are located downtown. If you plan to have a car (which is not a bad idea to get around in this town since the bus services can be limiting during the weekend), keep in mind that finding a parking space around the university can be a real pain. If you choose to drive to school, you will most likely have to park it at the football stadium and take a bus to your school building. A lot of my friends with a car choose to take a bus to school and only drive when they plan to go somewhere else afterward.

I lived in a one bedroom apartment in a two-floor building on South Allen St, about 15 minutes walk from College Ave, in my first year and never had a problem with loud noises. I think if you find a place which is about 15-20 minutes away from College Ave and Beaver Ave, it should be a good distance away from frat houses and loud drunken undergrads.The rent was kinda pricey at $820 per month, including water and gas, but not electricity. They did keep the building at 55 degrees during the winter, so I had to get myself a small electric heater when it was too cold. I spent at most $60-$70 during the winter months, and $20-$30 for the rest of the year.

I have now moved into another one bedroom at Peppermill Apartments on S Atherton St (also 15 min walk to College Ave). It's in a rather bland 5-floor building, but it's quiet and only 10 min walk to Weis (a supermarket). It's $775 per month with all utilities, so I am spending about $80-$100 less with rent/utilities this year.

It seems you want to live in a place with more character. There are plenty of duplex homes, townhouse and typical apartments in downtown areas, so I guess it just depends on what you want. As I have mentioned, March is the best time to start looking for housing. Places get occupied ridiculously quickly in this town, so start looking early.

Thanks for advice Ville! I'll will reconsider getting into White Course Apartments. The fact that I have to be in the 4-bed apartment sucks. I don't know why the school built it like that.

What do you think about Nittany Garden Apartments and other places on the N bus route? (such as Parkway Plaza). Can you recommend other quiet apartments for grad students (N, downtown, and R bus routes)? I do not plan to get a car right away, so I'm most worried about attending the school and going for grocery shopping. Especially the fact that I'm a foreign student and can't take a look at the apartment worries me also. How is Pepper Mill? I also heard that the R bus is really crowded and sometimes pass the bus station because they're full. How often does this happen?

@yinche

I understand the feeling of securing a place without having the opportunity to see it for yourself. I too am an international student. I was really overwhelmed back in 2010 when I tried to find a place. Compared to other college towns, housing situation in State College is ridiculous. The rental rates are too high for a place in a middle of no where like this. I have friends who stay in UT-Austin and one-bedroom costs $400 compared to $700-$900 around here. Please read the housing lease contract thoroughly before you sign it. Check every nook and corner of your apartment for any spots or damages and report them when you move in. Housing agencies here will take advantage of tenants, especially on the deposits, because they can. It's a huge issue here. I got $300 deducted from my deposit in my first place (Holly House from ARPM) because they claimed the apartment was not clean enough even though I spent 2 days cleaning the place and hired a professional cleaner (required in the contract) to steam clean the carpet floor. I find my lease for Pepper Mill to be a lot less stringent because my room was owned by a private person and the building has its own management to deal with tenants.

I'm not familiar with Nittany Garden, but do look them up at http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/PA-State-College-Nittany-Garden-Apartments.html They have good ratings. You will have to take R bus to school from that location though. I personally would prefer to live where I can just walk to school in 15-20 min as I don't like to wait for the bus. However, it's within walking distance to Weis supermarket. As for Pepper Mill, the place I stay is fine and I will actually recommend it. The downside is the thin wall. You can occasionally hear some conversations from next door when they invite people over and make unusual noises. But that happened like twice throughout my stay and it did not last more than half an hour. R bus also passes through this apartment so you can use it if you don't feel like walking during the cold winter months.

You should look at Allenway. I have a friend who lives there. It's very close to downtown (about 5 min walk), affordable, and he never complains about loud noises. Have you look at CATA bus map? http://www.catabus.com/ServiceSchedules/CATABUS/CommunityService/System%20Map/index.html You can see a lot of apartments along the bus route and make your search from there. Check padmapper too. It's a good website that map available apartments on google map.

For other grocery stores, Wegmans (best grocery store in State College, but can be a bit pricey) is located on V and N bus routes, Walmart on the V and M bus routes. So you may want to find a place that has close accessibility to these routes.

@Ville

Thank you SO MUCH!! This is a great advice. I did my undergrad at Binghamton and we had same problem of landlords scamming on the deposits, especially on international students. What do you think or heard about Imperial Towers (they're at across the Nittany Garden)? I also heard that the R buses are very crowded and often just pass the bus stops when they are full. I'm also very interested in Allenway after your recommendation and research. How about noise coming from the street? I assume that the apartment itself will be quite since it is an apartment for graduate/professionals, but I'm worried about the location.

Thank you so much about the advice!! Can I PM you later as I continue the search?

@yinche

I have heard about Imperial Towers and it's a fine place. It's also very close to Weis, I think just 5 min walk. I personally never have a problem boarding an R bus in the morning from my apartment (again I rarely take R bus). If you choose Imperial or Nittany Garden, there shouldn't be problems since your bus stop is pretty early from its origin. However, R buses gets quite crowded from downtown in the evening (but then again so as many other buses), so you may have more problems getting back home than going to the school.

Allenway itself is a quiet building and the entire block consists mostly of professional buildings. Having said that, the areas around this block are full of frat houses and undergrad apartments. I was in my friend's apartment a few times and didn't hear any loud noises. He's a PhD student and lives there for the fourth year so I guess it has been okay for him. With its convenient location, I would recommend you to email the place now to ask if there're any available rooms for the fall semester. I tried to get a place there last year, but all unites are rented out!

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'll be graduating in a few months and I'm happy to inform you what I know.

Hi all,

I will be entering a PhD program at Penn State in the fall. My wife is planning on going to culinary school in Williamsport which is about an hour away (hopefully only a commute a few days a week). We want to only have one car, so living somewhere I can bus into campus and she has easy access to highway to cut down are commute time would be ideal.

Does anyone have any suggestions are areas/apartments/houses to look at?

This thread has already been helpful so thank-you to everyone for their advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I accepted my offer of admission to PSU this week (woohoo, so excited!) and now I'm on to trying to figure out where to live. There's a TON of great information in this thread (thank you to everyone who has taken the time to offer their advice!) but I am curious about the best time for apartment hunting.

I want to travel to State College and spend a few days looking at apartments one week/weekend so that I don't have to sign a lease sight-unseen. I know in the Boston area, where I am now, the best time to look for fall rentals is around June, but that doesn't seem to be true for State College. So, if you were in my shoes, when would you plan your trip to maximize the likelihood of finding a decent studio or small one bedroom apartment at a reasonable price? May? April? ASAP?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by RedPanda