NDSEG fellowship

BG7

so I found out today that they won't make any decision until LATE April! But schools have deadline on April 15th for me to accept their offers of admission or not. Is it possible that if I received the NDSEG fellowship after the 15th that the schools I got rejected would still be willing to accept me?

How did you find out that the NDSEG will not notify students until late April?

If this is true, then it seems very irresponsible for them to wait 5 months from the time of application submission to give out decisions.

I emailed them. They mentioned that the late notice is because they have to wait for the DOD or something like that. Screw them

I emailed them. They mentioned that the late notice is because they have to wait for the DOD or something like that.

The late notice is likely a result of the ongoing budget debate in Congress that has yet to be resolved. A related discussion has been ongoing in the NSF GRFP topic.

Is it possible that if I received the NDSEG fellowship after the 15th that the schools I got rejected would still be willing to accept me?

Though I'm not sure I understand your wording completely, it is reasonable to expect that if you were to be awarded an NDSEG fellowship, your application would be reconsidered. Money has a way of changing minds. Moreover, it seems reasonable to expect the school(s) in question would be at least somewhat sympathetic to the situation, especially if it is a public institution with federal funding...

If you do win, be relentless in getting after them about reconsidering your application.

Edited by mmk

Though I'm not sure I understand your wording completely, it is reasonable to expect that if you were to be awarded an NDSEG fellowship, your application would be reconsidered. Money has a way of changing minds. Moreover, it seems reasonable to expect the school(s) in question would be at least somewhat sympathetic to the situation, especially if it is a public institution with federal funding...

If you do win, be relentless in getting after them about reconsidering your application.

Yes, I know my application would be reconsidered if I got the NDSEG fellowship. But would it be reconsidered if I notified them about the fellowship after the April 15 deadline?

Yes, I know my application would be reconsidered if I got the NDSEG fellowship. But would it be reconsidered if I notified them about the fellowship after the April 15 deadline?

My comments were in fact targeted at this particular scenario. I think even after April 15th, if you end up with NDSEG (which of course you could not have notified them of...time-space being what it is and all), you have a very strong case to make for admission to any of the schools whose offers of admission you did not accept. If you explicitly reject their offer, maybe things look differently to them.

You should call the admissions staff and ask for guidance in this particular case.

Edited by mmk

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that this is 2011's NDSEG thread. I'm anxiously awaiting results, but in the mean time am looking into the logistics of how the funding works. Does anyone know if there are particular restrictions on accepting the NDSEG? And by that I mean, there have been rumors/articles floating about the NSF GRFP placing a ban on pretty much all other sources of funding, not just major national fellowships, including TA and RA-ships, and I'm wondering if the NDSEG has the same rules. While I'm likely to get neither, a girl can still dream and plan for best-case scenarios :rolleyes:.

so I found out today that they won't make any decision until LATE April! But schools have deadline on April 15th for me to accept their offers of admission or not. Is it possible that if I received the NDSEG fellowship after the 15th that the schools I got rejected would still be willing to accept me?

Seriously? Why would they not post that on their website!

Last year there was an NDSEG facebook page, and they kept slowly pushing back the date later and later there. I thought that last year (April 12th) was ridiculously late enough...but then I think the original date last year was March 31st or something....

Edited by kkompiles

Seriously? Why would they not post that on their website!

Last year there was an NDSEG facebook page, and they kept slowly pushing back the date later and later there. I thought that last year (April 12th) was ridiculously late enough...but then I think the original date last year was March 31st or something....

I believe the website says the awards will be made in April. (no mention of a specific date). But it does say April.

Award date history:12 Apr 2010 (my 2nd attempt/rejection)

31 Mar 2009

6 Apr 2008

26 Mar 2007 (round 1), 2 Apr 2007 (round 2).

April 18, 2006 (my first attempt/rejection, dang that was a long wait!)

Hmm....maybe they'll do like they did in 2007 and have multiple rounds. I'm sure they have a set number locked in, and then maybe they can award more based on what congress eventually decides!

I am still not clear if Congress's inability to pass a budget effects NDSEG for this year. Have the funds already been allocated for this year? Does anyone know for certain?

I am still not clear if Congress's inability to pass a budget effects NDSEG for this year. Have the funds already been allocated for this year? Does anyone know for certain?

Haha basically...I think no one knows anything for certain about the budget....even Congress. :-P

But I guess I have higher hopes for DoD's budget than NSF's budget. *shrug*!!

I called the fellowship people and a woman told me the exact same thing. She said they're aiming for before April 15th but since they have to wait for the DoD it could be after. This sucks because this fellowship decides if I can go to my first choice or not; I'm starting to be realistic however since only 10% of NDSEG applicants receive the fellowship.

The waiting game that comes along with applying to graduate schools and fellowships is quite annoying and stressful.

I am having a hard time believing the announcement date will be impacted by the budget negotiations. The SMART scholarship was announced yesterday right on time. SMART is a DOD award and is administered by the same organization, ASEE. NDSEG and SMART are sponsored by the same military institutions.

Edited by card

I called the fellowship people and a woman told me the exact same thing. She said they're aiming for before April 15th but since they have to wait for the DoD it could be after. This sucks because this fellowship decides if I can go to my first choice or not; I'm starting to be realistic however since only 10% of NDSEG applicants receive the fellowship.

The waiting game that comes along with applying to graduate schools and fellowships is quite annoying and stressful.

I would say don't stress about this. Just contact all the schools that have made you an offer so far and ask them if you can have an extra two weeks to decide, and explain to them that you're waiting on a decision that would impact your funding situation. From what I hear, schools don't usually have any reservations about giving you a little extra time.

I don' think the budget will affect awards too much. People were having the same discussion in the NSF thread and we got our results last night.

To introduce additional confusion into the mix, the Application Instructions page uses slightly different wording: "Notifications of awards will be emailed towards the second week of April 2011."

In the NDSEG app, there were a bunch of sections on Leadership, Teamwork, Volunteer work...or something like that. (These are all the 250 character short-response boxes.) With each listed item, we were supposed to put down contact information. (On the NDSEG application instructions, it specifies "Contact info for supervisors of Research, Leadership, and Teamwork Experiences, and any Community and Volunteer Work").

So my question is....since the winner announcement is in 10 days, if I haven't heard from any of the people that I've listed that they've been contacted....can I assume I'm not selected?

In the NDSEG app, there were a bunch of sections on Leadership, Teamwork, Volunteer work...or something like that. (These are all the 250 character short-response boxes.) With each listed item, we were supposed to put down contact information. (On the NDSEG application instructions, it specifies "Contact info for supervisors of Research, Leadership, and Teamwork Experiences, and any Community and Volunteer Work").

So my question is....since the winner announcement is in 10 days, if I haven't heard from any of the people that I've listed that they've been contacted....can I assume I'm not selected?

I don't say this with any certainty, but my impression is that they are unlikely to actually contact the people you've listed. I suspect it's more an extra precaution to ensure integrity of the honor system in applications that require you to self-report your qualifications.

Edited by Krypton

I don't say this with any certainty, but my impression is that they are unlikely to actually contact the people you've listed. I suspect it's more an extra precaution to ensure integrity of the honor system in applications that require you to self-report your qualifications.

Man, in a 250 character textbox, those email addresses take up a lot of precious real-estate. It would be nice if they would either use or lose the refs.