NSF DDIG

spinnergal

I am still waiting to hear from GSS.  My status date and PO have not changed. My department might be hoping for a quick response as much as I am, since they are trying to finalize assistantships for the spring.

I am still waiting to hear from GSS.  My status date and PO have not changed. My department might be hoping for a quick response as much as I am, since they are trying to finalize assistantships for the spring.

Why should this matter? Student stipends and tuition waivers are not permissible for DDIG budgets.

Why should this matter? Student stipends and tuition waivers are not permissible for DDIG budgets.

Can't speak for the OP, but I know in my case whether or not I get external funding affects whether or not I will be on campus (or away doing funded research) and using or not using my assistantship.

I think the time frame for decisions is usually about 3.5 months if there aren't extenuating circumstances (like a government shutdown).  I applied last round and that's about how long it took for GSS.  

AlwaysWaiting is right, I would like to plan if I will be on campus with an assistantship or in the field with the NSF grant. Last round it took four months to hear back.  So hopefully they will be making announcements soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It was August, and I don't believe they accepted proposals in Feb this year. The office of special projects person at my university said they would only be accepting them in August now. My experience was that the date changed on "status date" in November, and then again in December. One date referred to internal review and one to external, I believe. For about a week in December, the "Program Officer" was someone else, and then went back to the original person (Dr. Kronz). Good luck!

Edited by dissertationresearch2014

It was August, and I don't believe they accepted proposals in Feb this year. The office of special projects person at my university said they would only be accepting them in August now. My experience was that the date changed on "status date" in November, and then again in December. One date referred to internal review and one to external, I believe. For about a week in December, the "Program Officer" was someone else, and then went back to the original person (Dr. Kronz). Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I was afraid you would say August.  That's a really long time! I have applied to Geography and Spatial Sciences in the past and heard back within about 3 months...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am wondering why this thread died. Are there other, more recent, NSF DDRI / DDIG threads? I'm in the process of assembling successful example proposals which are scattered across the internets. Does anyone have a good resource for examples? Particularly for Sociology, Geography, and/or Cultural Anthropology. Or, if you yourself have been awarded an improvement grant ... would you be willing to share your proposal with me? Thank you!

5 hours ago, Vader Was Framed said:

I am wondering why this thread died. Are there other, more recent, NSF DDRI / DDIG threads? I'm in the process of assembling successful example proposals which are scattered across the internets. Does anyone have a good resource for examples? Particularly for Sociology, Geography, and/or Cultural Anthropology. Or, if you yourself have been awarded an improvement grant ... would you be willing to share your proposal with me? Thank you!

I assume because a new DDIG thread opened up? You could try the search function, it's very handy. Also, why would you need an example of 3 different NSF grants? Sounds a bit strange to me. 

Thank you for your recommendation on how I should try using the search function!

I didn't see a new, substantive general DDIG thread open up so thought I'd post here. People on gradcafe are quite friendly so you never know. 

Yes, it does sound a bit strange. I am a strange scientist. My research can apply to each of those NSF divisions so that is why I cited them. Those who have applied in those or other areas willing to share their past proposal is something that would be helpful to me.  

7 hours ago, Vader Was Framed said:

Thank you for your recommendation on how I should try using the search function!

I didn't see a new, substantive general DDIG thread open up so thought I'd post here. People on gradcafe are quite friendly so you never know. 

Yes, it does sound a bit strange. I am a strange scientist. My research can apply to each of those NSF divisions so that is why I cited them. Those who have applied in those or other areas willing to share their past proposal is something that would be helpful to me.  

Your post sounded pretty sketchy. I guess it's not, but it still read that way. 

Its great that your research overlaps so much, good luck finding people to share their work with you.