Boston University LEAP Program

Bobbi

• 2 weeks later...

Just got accepted to electrical engineering for the fall :). No aid but that was expected. 

How is public transportation near BU? Is it easy to get around? 

Does anyone know the exact course requirements for EE? I am on the webpage but it looks like they lump the requirements for EE, CE and photonics into one. I want to take 1 or 2 courses over the summer to lessen that bill. 

Just got accepted to electrical engineering for the fall :). No aid but that was expected.

How is public transportation near BU? Is it easy to get around?

Does anyone know the exact course requirements for EE? I am on the webpage but it looks like they lump the requirements for EE, CE and photonics into one. I want to take 1 or 2 courses over the summer to lessen that bill.

Congrats! I got in for EE also - looks like we might be classmates in the summer!

The B branch of the Green Line (commuter rail) runs through BU and BU also has a shuttle bus. It seems like most people commute via train (not sure how true this is since I don't live there yet - I'm moving to Boston next week).

Here's a link to the ECE LEAP Phase I Planning Sheet: http://www.bu.edu/ece/files/2013/10/LEAP-ProgPlanSheet.pdf

The Phase I ECE courses listed on the site are the same as the ones listed on the planning sheet. However, on the sheet it explains that you only need to take 8 courses from the list to satisfy the Phase I requirement, with at least 3 courses being ECE courses (as opposed to math or physics courses). You can tailor your curriculum to your interests: EE, CE, or Photonics.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Congrats! I got in for EE also - looks like we might be classmates in the summer!

The B branch of the Green Line (commuter rail) runs through BU and BU also has a shuttle bus. It seems like most people commute via train (not sure how true this is since I don't live there yet - I'm moving to Boston next week).

Here's a link to the ECE LEAP Phase I Planning Sheet: http://www.bu.edu/ece/files/2013/10/LEAP-ProgPlanSheet.pdf

The Phase I ECE courses listed on the site are the same as the ones listed on the planning sheet. However, on the sheet it explains that you only need to take 8 courses from the list to satisfy the Phase I requirement, with at least 3 courses being ECE courses (as opposed to math or physics courses). You can tailor your curriculum to your interests: EE, CE, or Photonics.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks DM, very helpful stuff!

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a car to move around over there but the public transport looks really good; especially seeing that there's a train station right by the school. 

Thanks for the panning sheet, helps a lot. I'm starting in the Fall and am trying to take a Physics course over the Summer at a community college (heading to the admissions office as we speak). Good luck with the classes over the Summer and I'll see you  in the Fall!

PS - What courses are you taking this Summer? 

Edited by ljems85

Thanks DM, very helpful stuff!

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a car to move around over there but the public transport looks really good; especially seeing that there's a train station right by the school.

Thanks for the panning sheet, helps a lot. I'm starting in the Fall and am trying to take a Physics course over the Summer at a community college (heading to the admissions office as we speak). Good luck with the classes over the Summer and I'll see you in the Fall!

PS - What courses are you taking this Summer?

I'm going to be taking Engineering Computation, Electric Circuit Theory, and Intro to Programming at BU this summer.

Hope to see in the Fall and during the LEAP orientation!

Hey fellow Leap people!

I start in the Fall and am wondering what is everyone doing for housing? I applied to the 580 commonwealth houses and was put on the waitlist but that's no guarantee and is pretty pricey since they don't even include furniture or internet access. If anyone has any experience with how the housing works over in Boston I would really appreciate any info. I checked the off campus housing that is affiliated with BU but I don't know if this would just be a more costly version of trying to find an apartment over there on your own through craigslist or something. 

If anyone wants to maybe pair up and get an apartment to split the costs I would be into that too. I'm in electrical engineering. 

Thanks everyone. 

Hey fellow Leap people!

I start in the Fall and am wondering what is everyone doing for housing? I applied to the 580 commonwealth houses and was put on the waitlist but that's no guarantee and is pretty pricey since they don't even include furniture or internet access. If anyone has any experience with how the housing works over in Boston I would really appreciate any info. I checked the off campus housing that is affiliated with BU but I don't know if this would just be a more costly version of trying to find an apartment over there on your own through craigslist or something.

If anyone wants to maybe pair up and get an apartment to split the costs I would be into that too. I'm in electrical engineering.

Thanks everyone.

I found a sublet for the summer through the room/apartment listings on BU's Off-Campus site. Here's the link: http://www.bu.edu/phpbin/offcampus/search-listings/

The listings are only available to the BU community. I definitely recommend it.

As for Fall housing, I most likely won't be able to pair up with you because the person I am subletting from over the summer stated that one of the roommates is leaving in late August and that I will most likely be able to sign a one-year lease in September. I wish you luck on your housing search!

• 2 weeks later...

Does LEAP include computer science?  

If so does anyone know the course requirements?  They don't have it on their site.

Another question, LEAP awards you both a BS and an MS in engineering?  Or just an MS?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Billrach,

I dont believe LEAP offers an exclusive computer science program and it looks like, judging from the requirements lists, there are only a few programming courses listed as prereqs. The course requirements to apply are listed on the site and each program has its own course requirements for admission to the MEng program. Each list can be found on the leap website.

Also the leap program doesn't award either a BS or an MS in engineering but the LEAP program awards an MEng. You can apply for the MS program after you finish your prereqs if you want. Hope this helps and these answers are coming from a person looking to apply this cycle.

• 2 months later...

Hey, would anyone be able to tell me if my scores are competitive or in the ballpark for LEAP E.E.?

GRE 162V 161Q

GPA 3.58

Also the website says it's better to apply in the fall for financial aid, is it still offered at all in the spring?

Edited by austinmw

Do you guys know the exact mechanics of the recommendation if it's done online (vs Paper)? Do they send an email with a link to the Professors? or will they upload a PDF? I am interested to know because the current online system's recommendation is turned-off until September. So I'm not sure if it would be better to use paper .

Thank! 

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have the range or average GRE score for the Fall 2014 (or Spring 2014) class?  Alternatively if anyone who is currently in the program can divulge their personal GRE score, I would be very grateful. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey dunno if anyone still reads this thread but I just received my admit email for Fall! Looking into starting Phase 1 during the summer and currently on the hunt for housing. Having a little trouble with the housing portion just cause I'm making the move from CA 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I haven't followed this topic in a long time, but I wanted to drop a line for those who are still reasearching this program.

I think LEAP is a really cool idea, but it is also very, very expensive. I also don't believe it's the ONLY recourse for students who have decided to make a career change into engineering. I just don't want people to think that shipping over to Boston is the only way they can break into the field.

I have a BA in English and French, but then made the switch right away to engineering. I took evening classes at my local community college taking the full physics series, chemistry, the full calculus series, linear algebra, and some lower-division engineering. I also studied hard and took the GRE exam and got a good score (just to improve my chances and demonstrate good numeracy).

I now finishing my MS in Mechanical Engineering at my local public university and doing it on time, too (two-year masters). I also have a full-time job as a mechanical engineer where I've used my liberal arts background to take ownership of all technical writing, technical communications, and report writing tasks at work. Being able to leverage my English degree as an asset and not a weakness is valued in the office. Being multilingual has also helped bridge certain communication divides that exist in the office. If nothing else it gets my resume noticed.

Best of luck to everyone, our country and our society needs more engineers so don't give up!

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Edited by adamlau

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone might have a recommendation of an online Calc 1 course that is sure to transfer to BU. I asked my contact at BU admissions, and he said that due to time constraints neither he nor any faculty can verify if any course would or wouldn't transfer. Does anyone here know of a good online Calc 1 course that transfers to BU?

~Thanks~

• 2 weeks later...

I took Calc 2 and Linear Algebra from the University of Illinois (Urbana Champaign) online.  I'm incoming Fall of 15, and don't know if they will transfer or not for sure, but am fairly confident they will.  They offer Calc I and III as well, I believe.

• 3 months later...

Hello! 

I recently discovered the LEAP program while looking into pursuing a degree in biomedical engineering. It sounds like a great option, however in reading this thread, cost seems to be a major barrier. I have a bachelor's degree in nursing, so I have minimal prereqs in science/math. 

I have several questions regarding the program. First, with only a few core math/science classes completed. about how long would it take for me to complete the entire program as a full-time student? Second, the general consensus from previous students seems to be that financial aid is readily available for most LEAP students. Is this still true, and would I be able to have some of my tuition covered? Third, is completion of the LEAP program competitive in the job market? Is the lack of a bachelor's in BME for a job in industry considered a disadvantage when compared with other potential employees? Lastly, I am concerned my application for the program will not be competitive enough as I have no experience with engineering or engineering classes. Does the typical LEAP student have any exposure to the field of engineering? 

Any feedback and additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

First, with only a few core math/science classes completed. about how long would it take for me to complete the entire program as a full-time student?

• At least 2 years (1 of undergrad classes, 1 of grad classes), perhaps add another semester or year if you really need a lot of basic math/physics review or something. You could do all that on khanacademy.org or other MOOC websites ahead of time though.  I recommend learning math (Calc I, II, III, Diff. Eq, and Linear Algebra) on your own to save money (you don't need to take accredited courses for LEAP so long as you are proficient at the material, just read books or do online courses, but taking accredited classes would be good if you end up going for a 4-year bachelor's program instead)

the general consensus from previous students seems to be that financial aid is readily available for most LEAP students. Is this still true, and would I be able to have some of my tuition covered?

• I think half-tuition-ish is normal, BU is really expensive, as is Boston

Third, is completion of the LEAP program competitive in the job market? 

• Yes, especially if you put effort into getting an internship

Is the lack of a bachelor's in BME for a job in industry considered a disadvantage when compared with other potential employees?

• Only if the employer cares about ABET accreditation/PE (Bachelor's degrees are accredited, but Master's aren't).  Probably not a big deal unless you have a particular employer in mind who needs that.

Lastly, I am concerned my application for the program will not be competitive enough as I have no experience with engineering or engineering classes.  Does the typical LEAP student have any exposure to the field of engineering? 

• We are mostly coming from other fields.  BME is the "best" program at BU out of the engineering fields due to the research/industry connections, but I'm not really sure how competitive it is.  If you have a good academic record/test scores, I can't imagine you failing to get in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all-- for those of you looking for Spring 2016 housing, check out the post I just put up on the LEAP facebook page. If interested, please email me back at vbarilla@gmail,com. Thanks!!!

Hey everyone! If you've just gotten your LEAP acceptance emails, and are on the hunt for an apartment, check out the following link:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sub/5348525674.html

At only $590 a month before utilities, it's a little room with a great value! Included in the unit are a large living room, a kitchen to share with 3 other people, a bathroom to share with 2 others, a laundry room with our own washer and drier, plus closet space throughout. All rooms have been recently painted/had floors redone. We occupy the 2nd floor and attic of a 3 story house.

You would be sharing the house with 3 guys, all recent LEAP graduates who are either working or pursuing further education, plus one girl, a lawyer. Everyone is in their mid to late twenties. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming, but definitely conducive to studying -- we'll have occasional parties but it's nice and quiet by bedtime.

We're about 1.5 miles from BU central on a clean, tree-lined street in Brookline, just off the B line. The address is 72 Verndale Street, Brookline, MA, 02446, if you'd like to map/street view it.

Let me know if you're interested! We're looking to sublet the room till September 1st, after which time you'd be able to sign onto the lease (1 year duration).

Take care-- and welcome to LEAP!

-Vincent

• 1 month later...