Boston University LEAP Program

Bobbi

Hello!

Sent in my application on 1/15 and heard back last Thursday. Currently living in Seattle and grew up in California, so Boston will be a big change - hoping to get some ideas for housing and would love to meet fellow LEAP students in the area! Good luck @jkjorg and @cpb2115. Keep us posted! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi!

I've been looking around this discussion for a while, but I didn't have the nerve built up to make an account and talk to anyone. I currently work in Japan on the JET Programme, but since coming here I realized that I regret not studying engineering while in college, so I want to use the next few years while hear paying off my undergrad loans to create a strong application for the LEAP program. The city I live in has two universities, so I can hopefully work with them to take the required Calculus course I need (because AP credits don't count, right?).

What worries me is that my lack of math/science background in college is going to set me back from other applicants. I intensely studied Japanese, which is why I work in translation/interpretation now.  I'm trying to do my best in scoring high on the GRE, but everything about my educational background makes me really nervous.

I'm hoping that by talking with you all will help me feel reassured that I can handle applying to such a cool place, because I have this gut feeling that this is where I want to be. No more Japan life, no more midwestern life (I'm from WI), just a fresh start doing math and science.

Dear mysteriousmartel,

a lot of people in LEAP worry about their background ( I did too). If you can generally do well on the calculus course then you should be fine. It gives you a flavor of the type of classes you will be taking. Some LEAP students take only 3 classes a semester(preferring to concentrate on a few courses). You will find that you won't be any more disadvantage from the undergrads. Just be aware of the pre-reqs. Some you will need, some you won't. Don't take differential equation unless you have Calc 2.  What specialization are you looking at?

2 hours ago, amouse said:

Dear mysteriousmartel,

a lot of people in LEAP worry about their background ( I did too). If you can generally do well on the calculus course then you should be fine. It gives you a flavor of the type of classes you will be taking. Some LEAP students take only 3 classes a semester(preferring to concentrate on a few courses). You will find that you won't be any more disadvantage from the undergrads. Just be aware of the pre-reqs. Some you will need, some you won't. Don't take differential equation unless you have Calc 2.  What specialization are you looking at?

Thanks so much for responding to me!

I'll be sure not to bite off more than I can chew, but it's really hard to plan or brace for anything when I can't apply for the next year at least.

When I first saw the program, I became really interested in the photonics program. However, I'm still not sure which department I want to settle on. I'm visiting the campus in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I can make a more educated decision then.

• 2 months later...

Hey Everyone! 

I'm completely new to the Grad Cafe. I'm applying to LEAP_Mech for Spring of 2017 and, like most others, I am a bit concerned about my background.

I have a BS in Neuroscience, so I have some calculus, physics, and a few engineering courses under my belt, but I'm concerned about the GRE, which covers math that I haven't done in meh...8 years.

If I were to get a "meh" GRE quant score, could that be overshadowed by my previous coursework? Would they balance each other out?

I am so excited for the LEAP program's coursework! And I very much want this degree.

Edited by Appleseed3

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, this thread is so helpful, wow I am glad I found it. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on how my stats stack up, and if I should take additional classes/GRE over again to improve my application.

So I'll start with back In college I was immature and naive and did not think much about my future prospects. Parent's are alcoholics, and I felt I never really grew up or matured until now. I went to a state school and graduated in 2014 with a B.S. in Biochemistry and Mol Bio with a 2.8 GPA. Pretty bad I know. It was mainly my junior and senior year that I did not do well.
I do have research experience, from an internship at a prestigious university/hospital and at an undergraduate independent study in microbial fuel cells at my school which I finished in my senior year. I have been working for nearly two years at a medical device company as a junior scientist - I work to develop immunoassay based tests and I have learned so much in a short time. I have been deciding for a long time what I wanted to study, but I am so fearful of having a really low GPA. I took the GRE's with a 154V and 159Q and also fear this is really low. Is it recommended I aim for 160s? I have taken it two times.

I feel now I have the maturity and experience for this rigorous discipline and in the past I really did not. I know there are a bunch of courses I need to take which I haven't: Diff EQ, MV Calc, Engineering, ect. I am taking Diff EQ and MV Calc this fall at a community college, with hopes of BU LEAP in Summer or Fall 2017. With A's do you think I would have a good shot? Does anyone know of admission rates to the program? I know they have an excellent BME program which is very competitive so I am wondering if my stats/experience would make me a formidable candidate. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've logged in. But I wanted to have a chance to reiterate my past points for the new-to-engineering folks:

While LEAP is a great program, going to an expensive private university like BU is NOT YOUR ONLY OPTION. I've been there, and I know it must feel that way (B.A. in English and French, MS Mechanical Engineering).

Give your local public university a chance to look at your application, or even your local private university. Even though BU has a somewhat streamlined process for people without an undergrad engineering degree, you can mimic the same academic trajectory with almost any university.

I took all the math, science, and lower division engineering classes at my local community college, and was accepted to almost every MSME program I applied to, at a tiny fraction of the cost of BU! If you think about it, it seems pretty silly to pay for Calc I, II, III, Diff. Eq, Linear Algebra, and lower division engineering courses at BU when they're offered elsewhere. The content is the same, and going to an expensive school won't make the material any easier. If anything, for those who are rusty in math, community college teachers offer much better access/office hours if you need additional help, without the intimidation of being surrounded by other students who may or may not know any more than you do.

I encourage you all to keep at it, engineering (in any discipline) is a great career choice and opens many doors to stimulating and well-paid work. Stay with with it!

Feel free to PM me if there are specifics. For context, I live in California and took most of my classes at community colleges here.

Lastly, don't forget to take the FE exam as soon as you're eligible. More and more employers are asking for you to have the EIT (engineer-in-training) certificate (some state call it an "EI" or engineering intern), and even if they don't, it's a nice plus on your resume.

• 2 months later...

Just to revive this thread since I'm applying for Fall 2017...

Regarding the ongoing discussion about the value of BU. I think it's fair to say that BU may not be worth it for many people. It's an extremely expensive school and those concerned about finances should rightly look at other options (taking all supplements/prereqs at community college, postbac, etc.).

I'm electing to move forward with my BU app because finances aren't a concern for me, and I'm deeply impressed by the school's research and faculty. I legitimately think that LEAP gives me the best path to pursue studies with really outstanding faculty. Not to say that other cheaper schools don't have good faculty, but that BU offers a unique set of resources that I think are valuable.

At any rate, I submitted my application a few weeks ago! Fingers crossed. Anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 11:09 AM, fishvs said:

Waskstrom I have submitted too a few weeks ago! Biomedical Engineering for me. Best of luck!!! 

Did you do a tour?

No, I only did an online info session. I would've done a tour but I'm out in the Midwest. I was impressed enough by the faculty/research online so I don't know if a tour would've changed my mind either way.

Good luck with BME! It seems like that's, by far, the most popular program. I'm doing Systems Eng, so we'll see how that goes. Fingers crossed for the both of us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 8:23 PM, Wackstrom said:

No, I only did an online info session. I would've done a tour but I'm out in the Midwest. I was impressed enough by the faculty/research online so I don't know if a tour would've changed my mind either way.

Good luck with BME! It seems like that's, by far, the most popular program. I'm doing Systems Eng, so we'll see how that goes. Fingers crossed for the both of us.

Yeah it is. Thanks :) Dude best of luck!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2017 at 3:53 PM, Wackstrom said:

Woohoo! I got my acceptance email yesterday. I wasn't expecting to hear back until mid-March at the earliest.

Wishing equal fortunes for you too!

Thats great, congratulations! I'm still waiting, just called them and the application is still under review. Fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone will see this but it's worth a shot! Does anyone know how lenient professors/the program are for allowing students in classes w/o the necessary pre-reqs. For example, even if I only needed 8 courses for Phase I, it seems like I'd need to take extra pre-reqs (which aren't themselves part of the Phase I cirriculum) to take a few of those classes, so it wouldn't be doable to complete in two semesters. 

On 4/26/2017 at 0:27 PM, cochinera said:

Not sure if anyone will see this but it's worth a shot! Does anyone know how lenient professors/the program are for allowing students in classes w/o the necessary pre-reqs. For example, even if I only needed 8 courses for Phase I, it seems like I'd need to take extra pre-reqs (which aren't themselves part of the Phase I cirriculum) to take a few of those classes, so it wouldn't be doable to complete in two semesters. 

Calc 1 is the bare minimum requirement to apply and all the 100-200 level courses in Phase 1 build off of that + the rest of the calc series. I haven't started LEAP yet but my impression is that LEAP students get priority to enroll in the 400-500 level classes so I don't think you should worry too much about it.

If you're still concerned that you don't have enough time to finish all the prereqs, I'd recommend doing as much as you can at a community college. At the very least, try to knock out two calc classes + either DiffEq or Linear Algebra. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Submitted my Fall 2019 application for ECE yesterday and got the application complete email today. Time to wait! Eep! Anyone else apply this cycle yet? 

I've read through this thread so many times leading up to my decision to apply, and really do think LEAP is the best option for me. I'm in California and have taken some (and will be taking more) of the Phase I classes via a community college. I've also tried the "just take classes at your local university" approach, but it hasn't worked out well (the UC I'm near is severely impacted so getting the necessary classes as a non-degree student is unlikely). I'll keep trying if I don't get in, but despite the cost, LEAP would definitely simplify things. I visited in June and also did an online info session, and I feel really confident it's the place for me. 

Edited by elbclimbs

Hey @elbclimbs

I just got admitted for Spring 2018 for Biomedical Engineering, and I'm definitely excited to start. I'm also from California, so I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the weather change, especially if I start in January lol. 

Anyone else get in for Spring? How are you going to go about finding housing? 

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Hi everyone! I've been subscribed to this thread since the very start of it (2011) and figured I would just share a "success" story for those of you getting ready to start the LEAP program or thinking about it. I started LEAP in Fall 2009, basically during its inception phase. I started as BME, switched to ECE and got my MS in Summer 2012. Coursework took me less than 2 years, but I spent the last full year working on a very intensive thesis project (I ended up getting a first author publication from it) while I was also applying for PhD programs. 

I then went on to University of Michigan for my BME PhD. The LEAP program was instrumental in my journey to getting to the PhD. UMich is maybe not well known around here, but it is usually considered a top 5 engineering grad school so that was a big deal for me and really speaks more about how important LEAP was for me, rather than my own abilities. There's just no way I would have gotten that far on my own without having done LEAP. Anyways, I just graduated from UMich this last summer and had an awesome experience. I am now living in San Diego working for a neurotech startup company that is the dream job I had envisioned when I first made the choice to apply to LEAP. It took 9 years of grad school, but I made it and had a blast the entire way. 

I'm not posting to toot my own horn, but I thought it would be nice for new or current LEAPers to at least hear what happens after LEAP and get some type of confirmation that all the money and time put into it will pay off. I have of course met and maintained friendships with a number of LEAP people throughout the years and I can tell you that everyone is doing well for themselves. The directions people chose after LEAP varied significantly, some went into more grad school like myself, many went into industry jobs, some went into consulting, some went to med school, and some didn't even do anything with engineering. But everyone I know that finished seems to be happy with wherever they ended up. 

Anyways, I've been out of touch with the current LEAP program, but I am happy to answer any questions or provide any advice. If there's anything general that could be helpful to many people I'll try and keep up with the thread and respond here. Otherwise, people are welcome to message me directly with more personal/specific questions. Good luck to you all!