Buffalo, NY

Guest Ms. Geology

Hello everyone,

I have been through all the pages and thanks for the info form all the users!

I am also accepted to the Phd program in Math department and I am thinking about accepting it.

Recently, I have started looking for the housing options, and I still can not make up my mind. Department is in the North Campus and everyone posted that it is really far(I will rely on public transport also). I will be a grad student but I like to go out and get a beer in the evening most of the time. Also I'd be happy about easy access to the transportation. So I am kinda sceptical about Elmwood and Allentown. 

I also understood that getting to North campus from South is kind of easier. So which areas would you recommend for a mathematician ((: in South campus area? As i said, I would be happy to go out and grab a beer from time to time with friends, so this is a quite important criterion for me ((:

One more question about getting to Buffalo, I will be flying to US since i am an international student. The last time I have been to US I had to go to south states, I went to JFK and took the bus Greyhound from New York. So what would be the most efficient and cheapest option to get to Buffalo? Going to JFK and taking another flight from there, taking the train or the bus? I'd appreciate any suggestion!

Hi there, PhD student in Biomedical sciences here--I live in Amherst which is basically where North Campus is and south campus is just south. Live in this town, Elmwood/Allentown are a clusterf*** in winter time. Amherst they actually clear the roads and fill potholes. Also a lot of the good bars are in Amherst if you want a quality drink. More happening places are in Elmwood but I would not want to live in the area, it is a mess.

Hi there, PhD student in Biomedical sciences here--I live in Amherst which is basically where North Campus is and south campus is just south. Live in this town, Elmwood/Allentown are a clusterf*** in winter time. Amherst they actually clear the roads and fill potholes. Also a lot of the good bars are in Amherst if you want a quality drink. More happening places are in Elmwood but I would not want to live in the area, it is a mess.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. I still don't know what to do. I do not have a car and it is unlikely that I will have one. Everyone says from South to North campus, shuttle is really useful. I will be there around 20th of August, and I am planning to find a flat before my arrival. I will check this off-campus housing web site Buffalo has. Also I do not wish to live in a crowded flat (not more than 3 people).

Can I ask about heating? I heard that it is extremely cold over there. Should I really check the houses where heating is included? 

I am not a big biker, but do you think it would be possible bike to the North from Amherst without getting frozen?

Thanks!

hi -- i've lived in buffalo my whole life so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me things. i have not personally rented, but i have many, many friends who have.

re: the amherst vs. elmwood village discussion: amherst is not very full of life and is quite suburban; you would need a car, but not to get to campus (more to get around the city and to do things, more generally, but you would be much closer to campus). the elmwood village has a lot to do, a lot of culture, activities, young people, events, etc. but is not close to campus. however, if you have a car, it's not far at all, though if you only have street parking, it will be a nightmare in the winter. the elmwood village is also getting a lot more expensive, both with regard to housing and food/entertainment (etc.), while amherst is actually pretty stable, and certain areas right outside amherst that are still safe will be much cheaper. there is a bus system, but it's not that great, and if you want to use the university bus system, you really need to live right around either campus or along the bus routes (google and you can find them).

PM me for any information. i am basically a buffalo expert, and i want to help!

I am not a big biker, but do you think it would be possible bike to the North from Amherst without getting frozen?

In the later spring, summer, and fall, biking is great! In the winter, it is nearly impossible, if not entirely, but if you are just going between the two campuses, the UB bus system is pretty efficient and free for students.

Hi everyone!

I have been admitted to the biomedical science program and I have accepted the offer. I live overseas as well, and my housing plan is to sign up for on-campus housing for the first year, and then as I get to know the city more (and see the housing options first hand), I'll decide where to live (either move out or stay on-campus). I feel it's really difficult for me to decide when I'm so far away and never been to the place before. Also, people have different preferences and tastes so I feel I'm getting contradictory reports of the different housing areas and options available. So I thought it would be safest to just live on campus at first. Do you think it's a good idea?

I don't think I'll have a car either and I also plan to depend on public transportation and biking. Since I like shopping, do you think the public transportation system will be able to take me to shopping areas/malls etc?

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I am also accepted to the Phd program in Math department and I am thinking about accepting it.

Recently, I have started looking for the housing options, and I still can not make up my mind. Department is in the North Campus and everyone posted that it is really far(I will rely on public transport also). I will be a grad student but I like to go out and get a beer in the evening most of the time. Also I'd be happy about easy access to the transportation. So I am kinda sceptical about Elmwood and Allentown. 

I also understood that getting to North campus from South is kind of easier. So which areas would you recommend for a mathematician ((: in South campus area? As i said, I would be happy to go out and grab a beer from time to time with friends, so this is a quite important criterion for me ((:

One more question about getting to Buffalo, I will be flying to US since i am an international student. The last time I have been to US I had to go to south states, I went to JFK and took the bus Greyhound from New York. So what would be the most efficient and cheapest option to get to Buffalo? Going to JFK and taking another flight from there, taking the train or the bus? I'd appreciate any suggestion!

And congratulations on being accepted!

So I've been reading this thread and can someone clarify what exactly is the downtown area? It seems like its elmwood or Allentown but I'm not exactly sure, my department would be on north campus but personally I wouldn't mind a drive or taking public transit and would prefer to live closer to where more is going on.

I am from the Buff so I think I can offer some clarifications as well as advices. You can survive in Buffalo without a car, but unless you really really hate owning a car, I recommend you to consider buying one as an option. Public transporation sucks in Buffalo. The bus system is very fickle and not frequent enough. The subway is a little better (there is one line that runs every 20-25 minutes back and forth from South Campus to downtown area) and stops running at midnight. If you rent an apartment downtown, it's highly recommended that you find an apartment within walking distance from the subway line because I find the bus system unreliable. You can take the subway to University at Buffalo's south station stop, walk 2 minutes to the university shuttle (called the Stampede), and in case you wish to go to North campus, it will take another 20 minutes. In short, it can take you up to a total of 1 hour or even more to commute to North campus using the public transportation system. This is even worse during the 6-month long frigid winter at Buffalo. So make careful decisions if you decide to go to school this way.

About living area, downtown-wise I recommend the Elmwood village (usually more expensive on average but social life is great and the streets are pretty with lots of bars, bookstores, coffee shops, etc). Allentown is also good but it can be noisy sometimes because of the clusters of cool, hippie bars around that area. You can also consider living in nearby cities such as North Tonawanda, Williamsville, and/or Niagara if you are willing to commute by car. Apartments are nice and rent is usually cheaper. The area around north campus has good housing but it's in a surburban area and there's not much to offer in terms of social life. I used to live in that area for a year and it was unbreably boring for me. I just do not recommend you to live around south campus (the University Height area) because there are a lot of undergrads living around, which usually involved hectic weekend parties and gatherings. The rent is super cheap but you get what you pay for. Please let me know if you want to know more about any aspects of the city.

Edited by anthrohis7092

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone. So where is the best place to shop in Buffalo? Like for groceries, electronics, appliances, clothes, and furniture.

I'm moving in next week so I need some suggestions where to start.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. So where is the best place to shop in Buffalo? Like for groceries, electronics, appliances, clothes, and furniture.

I'm moving in next week so I need some suggestions where to start.

Thanks!

Wegmans and Family Dollar. Furniture is expensive here so a lot of people drive to Ikea in Canada

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I am considering a PhD at SUNY Buffalo.

Is there easy access to woods/forests/natural beauty, or not really? I know there's Niagara Falls, but, judging from a Google image search, it doesn't seem like the most rustic of spots. Looking to live somewhere when I can hike/appreciate nature/etc. and enjoy access to woods. Is this at all possible in and around Buffalo, or are the surrounds mostly suburbia?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2015 at 8:47 PM, uselesstheory said:

Hello, 

I've been accepted into SUNY buffalo state M.S in Creativity program. I wont be able to have a car and i am looking some nice place near SUNY within walking distance to live. I've been told Elmwood village would be fine. Do you have any recommendations i could use? I am taking the summer school so i would be arriving early may 2016. 

Thanks!

Hey all! Recently accepted to U Buffalo MSW. I am really excited and waiting to hear back from another school before I make my final decision. I would be new to the area so I will have tons of questions if I should go to this program. 

• 2 weeks later...
On February 13, 2016 at 3:00 PM, futureSW said:

Hey all! Recently accepted to U Buffalo MSW. I am really excited and waiting to hear back from another school before I make my final decision. I would be new to the area so I will have tons of questions if I should go to this program. 

When did your application go in?? I'm starting to have some serious anxiety :( 

22 hours ago, Livlife said:

When did your application go in?? I'm starting to have some serious anxiety :( 

My application was submitted at the end of December and I heard back by snail mail at the end of January. Hope you hear back soon! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm visiting buffalo for the first time next week to see the north campus, visit the sw office and make a final decision. Any tips on things to do in buffalo while I'm there? It'll be an all day excursion for me

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2016 at 9:13 PM, futureSW said:

I'm visiting buffalo for the first time next week to see the north campus, visit the sw office and make a final decision. Any tips on things to do in buffalo while I'm there? It'll be an all day excursion for me

How was your trip? Considering applying to Buffalo next year so I'm interested in any info you'd like to share. 

Hello all!

Just accepted a PhD program at SUNY and I'll be heading out of Texas in about 3 months.  As a non-Texas native, I cannot wait to be back in the North!  This PhD is going to be an expensive life decision, however.  For those of you without funding offers from your departments or a GA/TA fellowship, what other options are available to help finance school? I've searched for scholarships like crazy but it seems like the majority are for NY residents only. Is there any way to get an in-state tuition waiver or an easy 'in' for on-campus employment? I'm a little concerned that even the maximum amount of student loans won't fully cover out-of-state tuition costs... not to mention living expenses.  :blink:

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Edited by novake2
I'm a perfectionist, ok

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am looking at the housing options for 1 bed. Since I am an international, I would be arriving there about one month ago at most.

My plan is to stay at some cheap motel and check the houses. So, is it fine to look up houses at that time?

I mean, in some other cities, you have to move earlier to fetch a nice one.

Another one. Where do people usually go for a used car? Who's the most reliable dealer in town? Do I need a 4WD to prepare for heavy snow?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 11:53 AM, Evangeline95 said:

Anyone going to UB this fall??? 

Yup, Biomedical engineering. Will be heading from Boston. Planning to visit there in a week or so to check out the city and interact with grad students and profs.

• 10 months later...
On 3/24/2015 at 7:57 PM, hakandoga said:

Hello everyone,

I would suggest Trailways bus, they have some great student deals if you wait to buy it in person if price is a concern. It will be a long drive though over 5 hours. Amtrak is the train but i think it might go to rochester rather than buffalo.

I currently live in New York but am still wait to hear back from Buffalo, congrats on your acceptance :)