Atlanta, GA

Guest guest

• 3 months later...

I went to college for four years in Atlanta without owning a car. It is doable, but it's very annoying. If you can afford to get a cheap clunker (nothing with payments, just something you can buy outright and that will not be expensive to maintain) I would do that, even if you live close to a MARTA station. I lived within walking distance of a MARTA station and had friends and family in the area who would pick me up from the station if I wanted to go home or go out and it was still a pain in the ass -- it took me 2 hours to get home, when my campus was about 20 minutes from my home.

• 3 months later...

Might attend Gatech for a MS in music technology. Need some info. I will have a $1500 per month stipend (before taxes). Would this amount (minus taxes) be good enough for a couple to lead a simple life in Atlanta (near the Gatech campus)? How much would a 1BR apartment rent for near the campus?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am considering an offer from Georgia State (along w/ a couple other offers), and I was hoping that I could receive some neighborhood advice.

I'll be moving to Atlanta w/ wife and kid, so I need somewhere that is (1) safe (2) family-friendly/quiet (3) relatively easy access to Georgia State either (short commute or bus line) and (4) good elementary school (5) affordable.

Amy suggestions for neighborhoods I should look into? What about those I should stay away from?

Thanks!

I live in Atlanta now and have since 2000 (ugh..... ready to go elsewhere!). I have a one-bedroom in Midtown, in a very quiet neighborhood between Piedmont Park and Ponce de Leon Ave. I'm paying $762/month (it's higher because I renewed for only 6 months instead of 12), with utilities being around $60/month. I've seen a lot of places nearby that are going for a steal, though, because of the economy! There's Grady High School within the neighborhood, as well as a private elementary school. I love the area-- it's about 10 minutes to GA State, and a little less to GA Tech (and I can walk to the Krispy Kreme -- dangerous!), and very convenient to a lot of things due to its central location. I've heard reports of petty crime, though -- cars being broken into, etc -- but I've never had nor seen any problems first-hand, and I've been here for about a year and a half. I think if you don't do stupid things like leaving an iPod or laptop on the front seat, you'll be perfectly fine.

Also, another area that's close to GSU is Cabbagetown; it's pretty up-and-coming. I would avoid downtown for the most part; unlike a lot of major cities, Atlanta's downtown is kind of dodgy. (For that matter, I think it's pretty easy to fall into the bad neighborhoods here -- they kind of sneak up on you, Old 4th Ward being one of them.) Also, Virginia Highlands is a great area-- it borders where I live on the east and is probably a bit safer, but it's a bit farther away from the 2 schools and somewhat more expensive (it wouldn't be a bad commute at all if you're at Emory, however). A bit south of GSU is Grant Park, which has also grown exponentially in the past few years to become very popular, yet still remaining pretty affordable. You might want to look into the Inman Park area as well.

One thing about Atlanta that I don't like is that it's not the most pedestrian-friendly city. Within the different neighborhoods it might not be bad, but it can be challenging -- and tiring -- to travel between them. The public transportation system, MARTA, could use a lot of improvement as well. If you can, I'd suggest getting a car.... although even then, the traffic in some areas at certain times of the day can be frustrating (I've heard Atlanta has some of the worst, but I don't feel I'm knowledgeable enough of other cities to offer an accurate comparison).

A lot of the better schools are on the north side of the city, OTP (outside the perimeter -- an acronym you will come to know well!). I wouldn't necessarily recommend living there as a grad student, because the commute to the midtown/downtown areas where GSU and GA Tech are would be a nightmare because of traffic, especially on the I-75/85 connector that runs through the middle of the city.

I have a one-bedroom in Midtown, in a very quiet neighborhood between Piedmont Park and Ponce de Leon Ave. I'm paying $762/month (it's higher because I renewed for only 6 months instead of 12), with utilities being around $60/month. I've seen a lot of places nearby that are going for a steal, though, because of the economy! There's Grady High School within the neighborhood, as well as a private elementary school. I love the area-- it's about 10 minutes to GA State, and a little less to GA Tech

How would you commute to Gatech from your place? Could one walk (is it too dangerous) or does one have to use MARTA?

Could you also list out safe, not very expensive, areas that are near Gatech where a graduate student who intends to stay with his wife could look for apartments in? Also to be kept in mind is that the wife wouldn't be allowed to work due to restrictions on her F2 visa and would have to stay home all by herself for most part of the day. So safety is our first priority (but I simply cannot afford the graduate family housing). Any suggestions/advice?

How would you commute to Gatech from your place? Could one walk (is it too dangerous) or does one have to use MARTA?

Could you also list out safe, not very expensive, areas that are near Gatech where a graduate student who intends to stay with his wife could look for apartments in? Also to be kept in mind is that the wife wouldn't be allowed to work due to restrictions on her F2 visa and would have to stay home all by herself for most part of the day. So safety is our first priority (but I simply cannot afford the graduate family housing). Any suggestions/advice?

My area is definitely safe enough to walk to GA Tech -- I wouldn't suggest it otherwise, don't worry. :wink: I was an assistant at the I/O psych lab there last year and several of the grad students lived only a couple blocks away (and blocks, while scarce here since the city's not on a grid, are pretty small). They told me that they walked to campus regularly.

You might want to check out Archstone Virginia Highlands apartment homes. The Archstone company as a whole tends to be well-regarded, and that location in particular would be good for commuting to GA Tech.

Have you seen MARTA's website? http://www.itsmarta.com. It's the public transport here, and their site should allow you to search for specific routes to take between points -- could be useful as a starting point.

You also might want to use Promove. They're a professional apartment-finding service -- http://www.promove.com. They're free; you just tell the leasing offices that they sent you when you go to look at a place. It's the apartment companies that pay the service.

This is probably an obvious suggestion, but if you don't have a car, at least get a bike. The biking community here is pretty strong.

My area is definitely safe enough to walk to GA Tech -- I wouldn't suggest it otherwise, don't worry. :wink: I was an assistant at the I/O psych lab there last year and several of the grad students lived only a couple blocks away (and blocks, while scarce here since the city's not on a grid, are pretty small). They told me that they walked to campus regularly.

You might want to check out Archstone Virginia Highlands apartment homes. The Archstone company as a whole tends to be well-regarded, and that location in particular would be good for commuting to GA Tech.

Have you seen MARTA's website? http://www.itsmarta.com. It's the public transport here, and their site should allow you to search for specific routes to take between points -- could be useful as a starting point.

You also might want to use Promove. They're a professional apartment-finding service -- http://www.promove.com. They're free; you just tell the leasing offices that they sent you when you go to look at a place. It's the apartment companies that pay the service.

This is probably an obvious suggestion, but if you don't have a car, at least get a bike. The biking community here is pretty strong.

Great suggestion about promove! I emailed them and they called me within minutes! Its all set up, they'll work with me to find what's best for me. They seemed very professional and very understanding. Cool tip, thanks!

With the whole car business, I suggest that you buy maybe an inexpensive car that does well on gas -- like an old Honda or Toyota or something. My boyfriend just bought one for $1500 (here in New York, a 1995 Civic) and there are many to be had in Atlanta, as well, for $3,000 or less. There are some places that you can live in Atlanta that will allow you to bike, walk, or MARTA everywhere, but they are few!

I agree that Midtown, Virginia Highlands (the Atlanta neighborhood, not the one in Fayetteville), and Decatur are the best places to think about moving if you would like to be close to Emory, would prefer not to own a car (maybe join Zipcar?), and want good schools.

So, it is official: I'll be heading to Atlanta in a few months.

Much of the advice has been extremely helpful, and I was hoping it could continue.

I am looking for easy access to MARTA rail, safe & quiet neighborhood, where I can find a two bedroom for $600-$800 month.

A list of neighborhoods would be great.

I've found a couple things in Inman Park, Candler Park, Midtown, Reynoldstown, Virginia Highlands, and Decator. Are these recommended neighborhoods? Anything I need to be cautious of in any of these neighborhoods (e.g., not quiet, crime, iffy blocks to avoid, iffy complexes to avoid etc.)? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Tip for everyone if it has not been said already: avoid apartments in Homepark, especially if you want a quiet place to live. Homepark has been stricken by something of a crime wave recently (and wasn't too safe to begin with), the houses there are (seem to be) fairly run-down, and it is a big undergrad party neighborhood. Not only that, but the apartments tend to be overpriced for what you get (I know people that have paid 500 - 600 dollars a month to live there, whereas I pay $450 to live two miles from campus, next to a giant shopping center and a bus line that goes directly to campus in 5 - 10 minutes).

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here at Emory lived in the Briarcliff grad apts? I know they are crazy expensive but being furnished, within walking distance and easily acquired from a distance is making it look like my immediate choice. I figure it will buy me time to get familiar with the area, buy furniture again and get settled. However, I've found no one that lives or has lived there!!! That makes me nervous.

Has anyone here at Emory lived in the Briarcliff grad apts? I know they are crazy expensive but being furnished, within walking distance and easily acquired from a distance is making it look like my immediate choice. I figure it will buy me time to get familiar with the area, buy furniture again and get settled. However, I've found no one that lives or has lived there!!! That makes me nervous.

I haven't lived there but I'm at Emory now and know some folks who do. The apartments are nice, but I may have low standards. I live in a cheap, crappy apartment with a hodgepodge of second hand furniture because that's what I can afford. The grad housing is nicer than that, for sure, but not deluxe accommodations. Also, the campus life people are generally easy to get along with and fix things quickly when there's a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have zeroed in to GT as desination, I am looking to book housing early.

Is it advisable to book housing in advance or should I wait till I reach there see the houses myself before paying up??

Further what would be good (or rather optimum) options to live in terms of safety, cost, fun, distance from campus, and availability of public transport, and/or vicinity to stores.

PS I am international (Indian) and would not want to afford a car. I am coming to join MS in Industrial Engg.

the following have been suggested:

1. Home Park

2. Peachtree St / Ponce De Leon

3. Centennial Apartments

4. Atlantic Station

which would be the best place, If there are other options that potential graduate students consider, please bring up in discussion.

Looking for help and potential roommates

Home Park is the best of all of that. There are GT shuttles that stop there, then from campus you can take the MARTA to most major destinations. Home Park is close to Atlantic Station where you can go shopping/dining. Home Park will be your cheapest bet. Peachtree st. has less students, but a lot more stuff to do.

Now that I have zeroed in to GT as desination, I am looking to book housing early.

Is it advisable to book housing in advance or should I wait till I reach there see the houses myself before paying up??

Further what would be good (or rather optimum) options to live in terms of safety, cost, fun, distance from campus, and availability of public transport, and/or vicinity to stores.

PS I am international (Indian) and would not want to afford a car. I am coming to join MS in Industrial Engg.

the following have been suggested:

1. Home Park

2. Peachtree St / Ponce De Leon

3. Centennial Apartments

4. Atlantic Station

which would be the best place, If there are other options that potential graduate students consider, please bring up in discussion.

Looking for help and potential roommates

Home Park is the best of all of that. There are GT shuttles that stop there, then from campus you can take the MARTA to most major destinations. Home Park is close to Atlantic Station where you can go shopping/dining. Home Park will be your cheapest bet. Peachtree st. has less students, but a lot more stuff to do.

Thanks a lot Yang.

One more query..should I book an apartment in Homepark right away, or should I do it when I come there in August.(Although I seriously doubt that anything good would be left by that time.)

Further what would be the procedure to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all...

So I'm heading to Emory this summer fall. In looking around at housing options, I've narrowed down my list to President Park Complex and Highland Lake Complex. Any suggestions/insight would be helpful and greatly appreciated. I'm an international student, and I'm abroad right now, so I won't actually have a chance to visit and look around before moving in several months.

Thanks for your help!

Visca el Barca...!

Then a snarky manager comes over and asks me what my problem is. I told her life is hard and I have many problems but this discussion is about a mistake on THEIR agent's part to clarify the leasing process. According to her email I had an apartment reserved for move-in on July 15. She tells me, again, that I obviously misunderstood. That’s starting to annoy me. The right response is an apology. It's clear that the agent dropped the ball and that no one ever intended to follow-up with me. Just say it and move on. But this insistence that I'm crazy and stupid is insulting. Which I tell them.

I feel your pain all too well. Your story reminds me of when I went apartment hunting while I was getting my Master's. When I was discussing my sources of income with the agent, she proceeded to tell that I could not use the money from my fellowship stipend to pay rent, since she had heard that money could only be used for tuition. When I assured her that money was for living expenses, she continued to insist the I was wrong. :huh: She was basing this on hearsay, while I heard straight from my grad program that this money was for living expenses. So, who is probably wrong here? Anyway, it turned out that I could not rent from the complex because my credit was too good. Yes, too GOOD! I did not make enough money to sign the lease by myself, so my mom would have to co-sign. However, according to their policy, I could only have a co-signer if I had a bad credit score (below 500). My credit is above 700, since I pay my bills on time. I ended up going elsewhere to another apartment that understood my plight as a grad student a little bit better.

I hope you don't continue to encounter less than smart leasing agents. Good luck with your search!

Thanks for the thread on Atlanta. I got into Georgia Tech's Architecture Masters Program, but I'm still looking out for the financial aid information (so I can actually tell my landlord and job that I'm really leaving...they hate it but they're excited). I heard from someone that it would be best to live at the Grad School Living Center for the summer program (late summer) instead of getting a small apartment from San Francisco and moving there immediately (putting my stuff in storage, etc.). I heard some bad stories about roaches and stuff, and not liking the apartments (especially those on Craigslist). Any helpful ideas (other than what's on the blog thread already) about getting apartments near GT? I would rather not sell everything in my life for this move, but the graduate school housing is quite small. I'm excited (terrified a bit but excited)! Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.