Atlanta, GA

Guest guest

Thanks a lot Yang.

One more query..should I book an apartment in Homepark right away, or should I do it when I come there in August.(Although I seriously doubt that anything good would be left by that time.)

Further what would be the procedure to do this.

I would recommend waiting until you see the place. There are some seriously sketchy areas in Homepark. When I was considering getting an apartment in Atlanta, I ruled it out because I felt unsafe as a young female who likes to walk to her destination.

Why has no one mentioned the Cliff bus yet? For Emory students, I think it's vital to know about it.

The Cliff bus is funded by Emory (at least all their money finally went to something useful), and it is free to the public. The people on there are friendly and diverse. It's definitely slower than a car, but it's useful. It connects the Decatur MARTA station and Emory's campus, so it is feasible to live in Decatur/somewhere near a MARTA line. Personally, I adore downtown Decatur and would recommend living there. It's so friendly, tons of restaurants and independent stores, all the basics you need.

I take MARTA to/from working on campus every week, and it's okay, but people hitting you up for change are often not disabled. It is also not rare to see (or be) a young woman feeling uncomfortable who is riding alone. I've listened to men ask young women if they're married, have kids, can have their number, and I've had some unpleasant experiences being followed off the train by men asking for my number. The last one took the cake - as I waited to be picked up, he grabbed my hand, told me I "looked lonely," and would not immediately let go of me when I started tugging on my hand.

I would recommend waiting until you see the place. There are some seriously sketchy areas in Homepark. When I was considering getting an apartment in Atlanta, I ruled it out because I felt unsafe as a young female who likes to walk to her destination.

Thanks a lot leigh. Thats what I have come to know of homepark from others as well.

But wont all the good apartments be taken by the time I reach there(july end or aug 1st week) are other places better to live and book in advance. could u also elaborate on the leasing process. Being from a diff part of the world i am a bit confused over this. What all is needed to rent an apartment and how is payment made(monthly or tri-monthly or annually), how long is the leanse. when does it start (from the day of agreement or from start of month always?)

thanks a lot for responding

Edited by StudentNSIT

could u also elaborate on the leasing process. Being from a diff part of the world i am a bit confused over this. What all is needed to rent an apartment and how is payment made(monthly or tri-monthly or annually), how long is the leanse. when does it start (from the day of agreement or from start of month always?)

I'm not the leasing expert, so I suggest finding additional advice - my move to Boston in the fall will be my first experience with a leasing office.

The length and dates of the lease can largely be determined by your agreement with your landlord. Payment is normally made monthly.

Hello all...

So I'm heading to Emory this summer fall. In looking around at housing options, I've narrowed down my list to President Park Complex and Highland Lake Complex. Any suggestions/insight would be helpful and greatly appreciated. I'm an international student, and I'm abroad right now, so I won't actually have a chance to visit and look around before moving in several months.

Thanks for your help!

Visca el Barca...!

I've with notes on my visit to President Park and a link to pics.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody who's going to Atlanta, GA! smile.gif

I'm here to ask one question about housing:

How one can make housing arrangements in advance before arrival to Atlanta? Certainly I'm talking about living out of campus. I saw a lot of room offers on craiglist, but one cannot be sure whether some of them are fake or not.

As you guys can understand I'm an international student coming to Atlanta only in August. Is there any way to solve housing problem in advance? in order to have a good place when I arrive. Or is it possible to come , let me say, on August, 10, and find a good room near Georgia Tech. (Orientation starts on August, 16. I'm supposed to have a room by this date). I'm just afraid that there will be few opportunities to do a good deal as it will be too late.

Please help and explain.

• 5 months later...

Currently living in Atlanta. My advice to any graduate students who might be attending GSU, Ga Tech, or Emory, would be to check out Candler Park. It is a very nice (and safe!) neighborhood. It is also very family-friendly and is home to one of the few good public school (elementary) in Atlanta. Additionally, there are restaurants, shops, and public transport w/i walking distance. Candler Park is less than 2 miles from Emory and just a few miles from GSU. It's a slight bit further to Ga Tech, but definitely doable.

Other places to consider would be Virginia Highlands, Inman Park, Decatur (near downtown Decatur). Midtown is hit or miss.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

No one has posted on this one in a while....

I am considering moving to ATL next year and was wondering what it is like. I am a young (early 20's) female and I only applied to schools in city areas because I prefer city life - having lots to do, variety of people and professions, going out to bars & clubs, nice restaurants... and the southern weather is a perk.

How easy is it to meet people in Atlanta?

Is it really that unsafe?

What are some great things to do in Atlanta - favorite restaurants, bars, clubs, concerts, sports teams? (Just because I'm a grad student doesn't mean I'm going to throw my social life down the drain)

What is the general vibe of the place?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Other than the fact that I'm male, I'm in the same boat. Going to GATech in the fall for a phd and wondering the same thing - is midtown a decent place to do those things? I'm actually looking to buy a 1br, so that's a consideration as well. Thanks for all the help in advance.

No one has posted on this one in a while....

I am considering moving to ATL next year and was wondering what it is like. I am a young (early 20's) female and I only applied to schools in city areas because I prefer city life - having lots to do, variety of people and professions, going out to bars & clubs, nice restaurants... and the southern weather is a perk.

How easy is it to meet people in Atlanta?

Is it really that unsafe?

What are some great things to do in Atlanta - favorite restaurants, bars, clubs, concerts, sports teams? (Just because I'm a grad student doesn't mean I'm going to throw my social life down the drain)

What is the general vibe of the place?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Other than the fact that I'm male, I'm in the same boat. Going to GATech in the fall for a phd and wondering the same thing - is midtown a decent place to do those things? I'm actually looking to buy a 1br, so that's a consideration as well. Thanks for all the help in advance.

I'm currently living in Atlanta as a Teach For America corps member--female in her early 20s. I would imagine that my monthly income is about the same as a grad students--I take home about $1500/month. Fall 09/Spring 10 I lived in Grant Park (which is just southeast of GATech and GA State) in a house I shared with 2 architects through Craigslist for $600/month. It was very central and a 15-minute or less drive to anything in Atlanta, but a quiet neighborhood. Unfortunately, Grant Park is going through gentrification so parts of it are still sketchy. This year I'm living in a house shared with a government employee and a bartender in the Poncey Highlands (sandwiched between Inman Park, L5P, and the Virginia Highlands) for $650/month. Very safe location, and within walking distance of tons of bars, shops, movies, and restaurants.

Midtown can be a great place to live although generally more expensive, especially if you're looking for a 1br. I like the area in Midtown close to a shopping complex that has a Trader Joe's, Mellow Mushroom, a movie theater, and a good Indian place. The area's also super close to Piedmont Park, which is one of the best parks in Atlanta.

Creative Loafing is a free weekly that posts info about local events, concerts, festivals, etc: http://clatl.com/ The food in Atlanta is the best, too. Buford Highway and Jimmy Carter Boulevard in northeast Atlanta have terrific ethnic restaurants (Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Mexican, etc) and ethnic grocery stores that go on for miles and miles. There's a burgeoning street food movement in Atlanta, too, particularly in my neighborhood. Here are my favorite restaurants:

Cafe Intermezzo in Buckhead

Amazing dessert, coffee, a little fancier, very intimate feeling.

http://www.cafeintermezzo.com/

Tuk Tuk Thai Food Loft in Buckhead

Reasonably priced Thai; delicious entrees; and an actual tuk-tuk on the ground floor!

http://www.tuktukatl.com/

Antico Pizza near Georgia Tech in Midtown

The best pizza you will EVER eat—I highly recommend the San Gennaro pizza. Get 1 pizza for every 2-3 people, and get the Nutella-stuffed cannoli, too!

http://www.anticopizza.it/

Dressed Salads in Midtown

Fresh, delicious, gigantic salads with a million choices of toppings. Great lunch spot, and right by the TFA office. I go whenever I have to be at the TFA office late at night to do work.

http://www.dressedsalads.com/

Ru Sans in Midtown

Crazy cheap sushi and Japanese dishes (fried rice, tempura, etc), plus a lively tradition of sake bomb-ing

http://rusans.com/

The Shed at Glenwood in East Atlanta

There was a scene in “Blind Side” that was shot here! The food is also really good—the sliders especially. On Wednesday nights, they’re $3 apiece.

http://www.theshedatglenwood.com/

Cafe di Sol in the Poncey-Highlands

Fantastic brunch, really good sandwiches and cocktails

http://www.cafedisol.com/

Planet Bombay in Little Five Points

One of the best places for Indian around Midtown, plus the neighborhood they’re in (L5P) is fun to walk around in afterwards to work off all that chicken and naan!

http://www.planetbombay.com/Users/Home.aspx

Leon’s in Decatur

Great for beer-aficionados, plus they have a million different sauces for french fry dipping—love it!

http://leonsfullservice.com/

Yeah! Burger in the Virginia-Highlands

Cute decor, delicious burgers that don’t feel heavy, and also a million different sauces.

http://www.yeahburger.com/

yay! I'll be going to tech too! I definitely think ga tech is in a cool area of atlanta. Midtown is great and there are plenty of things to do! It is full of a lot of really different people, and it's not hard to meet friends at all. Atlanta has sooo many colleges (Tech, Emory, Ga State, Spelman, Morehouse + more!), so there are definitely a lot of young people to meet, and fun things to do! As far as safety goes, I don't actually live in midtown ( or atl, it's just easier to say :P ), but I know that the safe areas are kind of a hit or miss. I don't think it is TOO bad, though. I plan on living as close to campus as possible, without actually living "on campus." On campus housing is crappy. The rooms are even smaller than the pictures portray, and they are really not worth the money that Tech charges for them. Many people use a company called promove for finding apartments out here. I'll probably use them too since they are free, so why not :). You can tell them all of your criteria for where you want to live (safety, proximity to campus, social area, price, etc) and they will try to find what you are looking for. City Data also has a lot of good information about the area: http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/

Midtown: As a general rule, north of Ponce De Leon, East of Piedmont is where you want to be looking. If you don't mind living a 2-3 miles from Ga Tech, you definitely want to check out Virginia Highlands and Poncey Highlands. Inman Park would also be nice. (All three of these later neighborhoods are also very convenient to Ga State and Emory.)

I currently live in Candler Park and highly recommend it to anyone moving to Atlanta. However, it is slightly more expensive than most other areas. (Candler Park is not quite as convenient to Tech, but it really isn't inconvenient either. Candler Park is about 3 miles from Tech and is on the East-West Marta train line. Candler Park is extremely convenient for those going to Georgia State or Emory).

I am not really a fan of the Buckhead/Lenox/Collier Hills area. It is way overpriced and overhyped, but if you are in to that sort of thing, most neighborhoods in those areas are safe (thought there are a couple of spotty areas) and fairly convenient to Ga Tech.

If you are looking for up-and-coming neighborhoods (aka lower cost neighborhoods that are relatively safe, but perhaps still a little sketchy), check out Kirkwood, Reynoldstown, Edgewood, Glenwood, and Grant Park. These areas are hit and miss and are probably more convenient to Ga State than Ga Tech, but may still be worth checking out.

Even less convenient to Tech (but still fairly convenient to Ga State and Emory) would be downtown Decatur or the Oakhurst neighborhood in Decatur. For Emory, most of the neighborhoods right around Emory are also all fairly safe, but I have to admit, the north, east, northeast side of Emory are some of my least favorite neighborhoods (though they are safe).

Hope this all made sense, and I hope it was helpful!

Midtown is great (I lived there last year) but as others say can be a little pricey. I lived just south of 10th and Piedmont, so a few blocks south of Piedmont Park and absolutely loved it. The Nook is quite a cool little bar just north of the Park on Piedmont, and we used to go every week for their Team Trivia night. The Park Tavern is right on the east edge of the park and has loads of outside music etc. over the summer.

In terms of other places to go/eat, Iberica does really good food up in Decatur and for pizza, Savage Pizza is great in Virginia HIghlands. I think our favorite place in Highlands was probably Fontaine's (just down from the Taco Mac in VH). Great beer selection, great food and you can sit outside at the back when the weather is nice. Highland Bakery is also great if you want to splash out on a nice breakfast/lunch.

The Midtown Taco Mac is great if you're a sports fan, and Midtown Vortex bar and Grill is also worth a look for their burgers.

In Little Five Points, The Porter Beer Bar is a great gastro-pub that opened fairly recently.

Atlanta is a great city to live in, it's just a shame the public transport sucks and so you end up having to drive a lot of places.

Any more questions feel free to come back at me :)

I will be starting at Georgia State in the Fall and am a little nervous about moving to Atlanta. I grew up in a very rural area and have never lived in a large city. I've been looking at apartments in the Decatur and Druid Hills areas and was wondering if anyone would recommend those areas? I'd like to be a little away from downtown but not so far that getting to school everyday is a pain. Also we have a fairly large apartment now (2 bed 2 bath) and downsizing is not an option. If you live inside the beltway how is traffic? Is it still really bad and will I still be able to drive to school everyday or will I have to take public transportation to get there in any reasonable amount of time? I'd really prefer driving myself if I can but I have heard many horror stories about the notorious Atlanta traffic!

If you're going South into Atlanta during morning hours, there are many times where traffic is stopped. North from South gets congested, but not nearly as bad as people coming from GA-400.

If anyone is interested in glancing into what Bohemian/Urban culture certain areas have, take a look at Creative Loafing Atlanta. That said, Cabbagetown is fairly overpriced, but there are houses for rent in case you don't want to be tied down by a mortgage payment. I also consider it one of Atlanta's few walking communities next to East Atlanta Village (a more artsy area). I feel like Druid Hills has a ton of enclaves, like an extremely large Ethiopian population, which is pretty dang cool. I have a few friends living in Decatur who love it, but like many areas in Atlanta: blocks will be nice, and welcoming and five minutes to your right is a rundown, pot-hole filled area.

Virginia Highlands is a great area also, since it's located near many places like the Fernbank Museum, and you can access many other places via Ponce de Leon. It is the location of a highly publicized murder in 2010, but the crime rate has been steadily rising since then throughout all Atlanta. VH is one of the few neighborhoods where I see the people using public outlets to demand more from the APD.

Kessith, I went to GSU for my undergrad. I wouldn't call Atlanta much of a "city" since the majority of people go through it or work in it during the day, and it can be very dead or eery at night unless you're near a bar block, etc. It is congested by too many corporation outlets, thus there's a lot of dying mom and pops, and more Targets, CVSs and the like popping up everywhere. The MARTA train is efficient, the bus line not much so depending on traffic. The metropolitan area of Atlanta has a significantly higher population, but if I were going to grad school in Atlanta, I'd try to minimize what traffic I do have to get by . . . TBH, I'd pick Cabbagetown, Virginia Highlands, East Atlanta Village or downtown Decatur (which is shaded very nicely with trees, people are nice, etc.)

I blogged about ATL traffic: "If you’re headed anywhere inside the perimeter or towards I-75, the rush hour is 6-7AM, 8-11AM, 1-4PM, and 5-9PM. The rush hour is pretty much the entire day, and the non-rush hours are those rare instances from cosmic alignments where traffic isn’t stopped or stupidly congested (80% due to someone mulling away in the fast lane @ 55- MPH)."

Edit* had to change color of quote.

Edited by Chulianne

I am a graduating MA student at Georgia State (and will be starting at Emory in the fall).

I've never ran into any traffic problems getting to Georgia State, but then again, I don't live somewhere where I am having to get on the interstate during rush hour.

I would highly recommend Candler Park. This is where I live. You will have easy access to public transportation to downtown, and, from Candler Park, you should rarely (if ever) run into traffic problems going to Georgia State. The neighborhood is very safe. Living in Decatur, particularly downtown Decatur or perhaps in Oakhurst, would be a great place to look. Both would provide easy access to GSU (both by car and public transport). Also check out Inman Park, Poncey HIghlands, and Virginia Highlands. All thee of these neighborhoods are intown and very convenient to GSU.

If you have questions about any specific streets/neighborhoods, feel free to private message me. Like many big cities, many of the nice neighborhoods are bordered by sketchy neighborhoods, so you have to be careful between renting somewhere that is *in* Candler Park/Oakhurst/etc versus somewhere that is in the Candler Park/Oakhurst/etc. area. (Good news is that there really are very, very few _bad_ neighborhoods on the east side, especially the northeast side.)

(Depending on how much you are willing to trade a small amount of niceness for money, there are some spots in Kirkwood, Edgewood, Grant Park, Glenwood, Cabbage town, etc. that may be worth considering. These neighborhoods aren't quite as nice as Candler Park/Oakhurst/Inman Park/Virginia Highlands, but I know several grad students who live in these neighborhoods and they like them just fine.)

I will be starting at Georgia State in the Fall and am a little nervous about moving to Atlanta. I grew up in a very rural area and have never lived in a large city. I've been looking at apartments in the Decatur and Druid Hills areas and was wondering if anyone would recommend those areas? I'd like to be a little away from downtown but not so far that getting to school everyday is a pain. Also we have a fairly large apartment now (2 bed 2 bath) and downsizing is not an option. If you live inside the beltway how is traffic? Is it still really bad and will I still be able to drive to school everyday or will I have to take public transportation to get there in any reasonable amount of time? I'd really prefer driving myself if I can but I have heard many horror stories about the notorious Atlanta traffic!

Edited by psychapplicant2011

• 3 weeks later...

I have been accepted at GSU (CS-PhD Program). A major factor in my decision would be the living expense at Atlanta (the apartments seem expensive).

It would be great if someone could give some idea about how much it could cost per year (e.g. $12000, $14000 etc), assuming I lead a normal life.

Edited by anon.chy

• 1 month later...

Depends where in Atlanta you want to live in. I went to GSU as an undergrad for 4 years and I lived at several places. Once I lived in Midtown with 3 other roommates (whom I never met before) and my rent was 595 a month, then I moved to another apartment in Midtown right in the center of everything and it was a 2 bed/1 bathroom which was 845. Right now I'm working in Atlanta and I found a homeowner who was looking for someone to live in her house. It turned out really well and I only pay 400 bucks a month which includes everything (internet, cable, water, electricity). She's really nice and if I went to grad school in Atlanta, I would have considered staying. You will find people like her (that aren't sketchy) on the East side of Atlanta which is the more hippie area and people tend to be more open-minded, however there is also a lot of crime on that side as well.

What is your budget like? Would you like to splurge on your apartment and live in a fancy complex or do you not care as long as you feel safe? Do you want a roommate?

I have been accepted at GSU (CS-PhD Program). A major factor in my decision would be the living expense at Atlanta (the apartments seem expensive).

It would be great if someone could give some idea about how much it could cost per year (e.g. $12000, $14000 etc), assuming I lead a normal life.

Hi Mr. Giz, congrats on joining the PhD program at Tech. Yes, it's tricky to figure out housing. I actually have an apartment for rent in the Home Park neighborhood right next to GA Tech, the one I used to live in and is now occupied by a Physics department grad (he just got his PhD, so he'll be moving on). He and his wife are quite happy with the place. It can be used as a 2 Bedroom or a 1 BR with a study. The rent is 830.00/month, internet, washer/dryer included (and of course it has a kitchen and bathroom). 10 minutes walk to the campus and onsite parking.

The current tenant will probably be happy to talk to you about it, so you can vouch that it's for real, that a real member of the Physics department lives there, and that it's a nice place to live. It's part of a duplex, and the tenants in the other unit are also PhD students. I'm now a Biology professor at Kennesaw State, and I love having grad student tenants (friendly, responsible, etc.).

The address of the place is 409 Richards Street 30318, if you want to google it. My email address is echen1@kennesaw.edu if you (or anyone else) would like to find out more.

Hello everybody who's going to Atlanta, GA! smile.gif

I'm here to ask one question about housing:

How one can make housing arrangements in advance before arrival to Atlanta? Certainly I'm talking about living out of campus. I saw a lot of room offers on craiglist, but one cannot be sure whether some of them are fake or not.

As you guys can understand I'm an international student coming to Atlanta only in August. Is there any way to solve housing problem in advance? in order to have a good place when I arrive. Or is it possible to come , let me say, on August, 10, and find a good room near Georgia Tech. (Orientation starts on August, 16. I'm supposed to have a room by this date). I'm just afraid that there will be few opportunities to do a good deal as it will be too late.

Please help and explain.

• 7 months later...

Hi All!

I just got accepted into Emory and I am wondering if I could find out what are the "best" areas to live in, things to do etc. I tried to search for a similar thread in this forum but could not find one.

I'll be moving with my bf - he's an artist, and a fellow anthropologist. We love "ethnic" food, vintage shops, antique and junk shopping, documentaries, fresh fruits and vegetables, cooking at home, lots of greenery and sitting in cafes to read/study/write. We are also gamers (tabletop RPGs) and yes, we ARE nerds/dorks/geeks - call us what you will.

We'd like a 2 bedroom (one to sleep in, one to work/study/write in) or a 1 bedroom with some kind of separate office space, and it has to be ok for cats (we have one). The cheaper, the better - of course. I'd like to pay less than $800 (a max of that, if possible).

If anyone could give me recommendations for where to stay, where to game, things or restaurants to go to that would be GREAT and very much appreciated!

:)

Thank you!!

Great - NOW I find this thread... I posted a new topic when my search turned up nothing for Atlanta (I knew that had to be odd)...

Hi All!

I just got accepted into Emory and I am wondering if I could find out what are the "best" areas to live in, things to do etc. I tried to search for a similar thread in this forum but could not find one. (See above :( )

I'll be moving with my bf - he's an artist, and a fellow anthropologist. We love "ethnic" food, vintage shops, antique and junk shopping, documentaries, fresh fruits and vegetables, cooking at home, lots of greenery and sitting in cafes to read/study/write. We are also gamers (tabletop RPGs) and yes, we ARE nerds/dorks/geeks - call us what you will.

We'd like a 2 bedroom (one to sleep in, one to work/study/write in) or a 1 bedroom with some kind of separate office space, and it has to be ok for cats (we have one). The cheaper, the better - of course. I'd like to pay less than $800 (a max of that, if possible). I love carriage homes and places with odd shaped nooks, so while an apartment complex works, I think we'd enjoy a duplex or a small house. It seems like there are lots of homes that would fit us.. I'd appreciate any feedback or ways to get in touch with people renting out homes of this sort..

If anyone could give me recommendations for where to game, jobs for artists (painters) or resources for artists to go to that would be GREAT and very much appreciated! I am trying to help my bf feel like this move has opportunities for him too and not just me.

:)

Thank you!!

Honestly, if you want to live in the city or at all close to Emory, less than $800 is nearly impossible, especially for a 2BR. My fiance and I were looking in that price range within 30 minutes of Emory when I went there a couple of years ago, and we only found little tiny 1 BR apartments, and not very nice, I might add. However, personality wise, I'd look in either Decatur or Virginia Highlands or around Little 5 Points. Decatur has a WONDERFUL huge market with fresh produce and breads and such (and good ethnic stuff) that is cheaper than you would even find at a grocery store. It is actually a huge draw for people in the area. (It may seem weird to plan your life around a market, but seriously, you will want to live within reasonable distance. People of all socioeconomic classes shop there; it's that good. Google Dekalb Farmer's Market.)

Greenery will be fairly easy; this is the greenest city I've ever been in. Lots of trees and flowers and such. I can try to answer more questions, but good luck! I would start with Decatur... or Oakhurst, also a part of Decatur and full of young people around 20-40.

Honestly, if you want to live in the city or at all close to Emory, less than $800 is nearly impossible, especially for a 2BR. My fiance and I were looking in that price range within 30 minutes of Emory when I went there a couple of years ago, and we only found little tiny 1 BR apartments, and not very nice, I might add. However, personality wise, I'd look in either Decatur or Virginia Highlands or around Little 5 Points. Decatur has a WONDERFUL huge market with fresh produce and breads and such (and good ethnic stuff) that is cheaper than you would even find at a grocery store. It is actually a huge draw for people in the area. (It may seem weird to plan your life around a market, but seriously, you will want to live within reasonable distance. People of all socioeconomic classes shop there; it's that good. Google Dekalb Farmer's Market.)

Greenery will be fairly easy; this is the greenest city I've ever been in. Lots of trees and flowers and such. I can try to answer more questions, but good luck! I would start with Decatur... or Oakhurst, also a part of Decatur and full of young people around 20-40.

Thank you smadak! :)

AnthroDork,

I just got accepted, too. I'm not positive that I'm going, but it is one of my top 2-3 choices, and the location is a major plus (over the cold midwest, where my boyfriend will have a hard time finding something to do). Anyway, I hope this doesn't sound creepy, but we should totally get together if we both go -- it sounds like we have some interests in common (dorks unite!).

Congrats!