Atlanta, GA

Guest guest

Is anyone familiar with the MSW program at Clark Atlanta University? and the surrounding area. Positives and negative? Im trying to make an informed decision...

I've only visited once.  It was ok, as far as Atlanta goes.  The campus areas I visited were historic and really pretty in an old southern way, but the roads were narrow and confusing at times.

I grew up in Atlanta and went to Spelman for undergrad, which is right across the street from Clark Atlanta. I can't comment on the program but I can comment on the area surrounding the university.

CAU is located in the West End of Atlanta. Atlanta, itself, is a great city - lots to do; low cost of living; great nightlife and restaurants and attractions. Great for the arts and music. If you are African American (which I mention since CAU is an HBCU), there's a large proportion of highly-educated African Americans in the metropolitan Atlanta area. There are also lots of other universities in the area, which means opportunities to socialize with graduate students from a variety of different grad schools. I got accepted to Emory for grad school, and while I do not regret my educational choices at all, I sometimes wish I got to experience my 20s in Atlanta. It's such a great city.

Now the neighborhood that CAU and the rest of the AUC is in - the West End - is not so nice. There was a public housing project called University Homes that attracted a lot of crime and poverty to the area; they've since been boarded up (right after I graduated, in 2008-2009) and demolished but not rebuilt. I know they were planning to replace it with a mixed-income development but I'm not sure whether or not they did. The rest of the area around West End/the AUC was in a state of urban decay when I was there - liquor stores, fringe banking, none of the nice grocery stores and attractions other areas of downtown Atlanta have.

Wikipedia claims that the area is going through some urban renewal, which wouldn't surprise me. They built this new condo complex right down the street from the AUC called Sky Lofts, and they are building parts of the BeltLine project through West End (the BeltLine is a new Atlanta project to install walking trails, bike paths, and public parks along a "beltline" through and around Atlanta, with accompanying retail and attractions). Trees Atlanta - a notable Atlanta public service organization - planted a bunch of trees as the beginning of an arboretum in West End, which makes me smile because West End was one of the most tree-less places in the City of Trees. Another positive is that the place is a hotbed of African American history; most of the streets in the area are named after civil rights pioneers.

The thing is, the AUC and Clark are easily accessible. the West End MARTA station is walking distance (bit of a walk - about 15-20 minutes) from campus; I think Ashby or Vine City might be closer to CAU's campus though. And honestly, CAU is pretty close to some top Atlanta attractions - like the Georgia World Congress Center, Philips Arena, the CNN Center, Centennial Olympic Park and the World of Coke. Also looks like they built some new nice apartment complexes sort of nearby. Also the I-20 exit is right down the street from CAU, so if you lived near I-20 (or any of the connecting highways, which is all of them) you could drive in relatively easily. I grew up in the Stone Mountain/Lithonia area and it was a 20 minute straight shot down I-20 if there was no traffic. (Atlanta traffic is horrible, though, so if you have to go during rush hour I wouldn't recommend living too far from campus.)

Thank you so much for all of this information. I've been accepted to NYU and this is a huge decision for me...Im leaning toward Atlanta because I am black and young (22) so id rather surround myself with people like me if that makes since.

• 2 weeks later...

How's parking on Emory's campus, do you know?

I'm currently finishing my undergrad at Emory. Parking isn't bad - there are several decks on main campus (Peavine, Fishburne, Michael Street, Oxford). Fishburne, Oxford, and Michael Street have visitor parking, and Peavine has a lot next to it for visitors. I have never had trouble finding parking. 

As for Atlanta -- the roads are narrow all over the city, but you get used to it. Coming from Midtown to Emory would be easiest done driving, though I do believe MARTA has a bus or two. You can get by without a car in Atlanta, but I would HIGHLY REALLY SUPER DUPER suggest you have a car. MARTA busses are slow and not that reliable, and the train system is very limited.  Emory also has shuttles that a lot of students who live near campus (~2-3 miles) rely on. If you're going to Emory, there are a ton of housing options in the Decatur/North Druid Hills area... living in Midtown would be nice for the social scene, but not worth it for the commute. During rush hours it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to complete what should be a 15 minute drive.

Feel free to PM me for any more info :)

Edited by Schatzie15

Hey Everyone

I accepted a masters program at GSU for anthropology for the fall and I was hoping that someone could help me out with my questions. 

I'm looking at apartments at Auburn Glenn and other places around Little 5 point and Inman Park, what are your thoughts?

anything that may help also is greatly appreciated! 

Hey Everyone

I accepted a masters program at GSU for anthropology for the fall and I was hoping that someone could help me out with my questions. 

I'm looking at apartments at Auburn Glenn and other places around Little 5 point and Inman Park, what are your thoughts?

anything that may help also is greatly appreciated! 

I've lived in Atlanta for a few years, so I hope I can help. I would avoid apartments and properties off Boulevard because it's not the safest or cleanest area. It's one of the only streets in Atlanta that has a section 8 only housing development, which is locally known to be a hotbed for drug violence. L5P is nice if you're into the alternative and hipster lifestyle. It's relatively cheap but a little seedy. Inman Park is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Atlanta, but the rental prices are going through the roof right now thanks to the development of the BeltLine and high-end apartment developments.

I would generally avoid anything in SW Atlanta (i.e. south of I-20 and east of the I-75/85 connector) and most places in downtown proper. I would aim for somewhere in Midtown (the residential part south of 10th st, west of Monroe, north of Ponce, and east of the interstate) because there are always great deals to be found there, but you have to be there and look. These places go fast, so the owners just put up signs instead of going through an online process only to have the property go in a day or two.

Other good neighborhoods are Virginia Highland, Poncey Highland, Candler Park, Lake Claire, East Atlanta, Kirkwood, Edgewood, Cabbagetown, Piedmont Heights, Grant Park (lots of GSU students in this area), and Lindbergh. Areas that look appealing but would be out of reach on a stipend are Buckhead, most of Midtown, and most areas in NW Atlanta. Crime is sort of dispersed across the city but is generally worse the further south and west you go. It also helps to live close to a MARTA train station, as Georgia State has its own station. Best of luck!

I've lived in Atlanta for a few years, so I hope I can help. I would avoid apartments and properties off Boulevard because it's not the safest or cleanest area. It's one of the only streets in Atlanta that has a section 8 only housing development, which is locally known to be a hotbed for drug violence. L5P is nice if you're into the alternative and hipster lifestyle. It's relatively cheap but a little seedy. Inman Park is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Atlanta, but the rental prices are going through the roof right now thanks to the development of the BeltLine and high-end apartment developments.

I would generally avoid anything in SW Atlanta (i.e. south of I-20 and east of the I-75/85 connector) and most places in downtown proper. I would aim for somewhere in Midtown (the residential part south of 10th st, west of Monroe, north of Ponce, and east of the interstate) because there are always great deals to be found there, but you have to be there and look. These places go fast, so the owners just put up signs instead of going through an online process only to have the property go in a day or two.

Other good neighborhoods are Virginia Highland, Poncey Highland, Candler Park, Lake Claire, East Atlanta, Kirkwood, Edgewood, Cabbagetown, Piedmont Heights, Grant Park (lots of GSU students in this area), and Lindbergh. Areas that look appealing but would be out of reach on a stipend are Buckhead, most of Midtown, and most areas in NW Atlanta. Crime is sort of dispersed across the city but is generally worse the further south and west you go. It also helps to live close to a MARTA train station, as Georgia State has its own station. Best of luck!

Thank you! Ill look into everything! But you think Auburn Glenn would be a bad fit because it's in a bad area?

Thank you! Ill look into everything! But you think Auburn Glenn would be a bad fit because it's in a bad area?

Yeah, I would say any apartment complexes off Boulevard from North Ave to Memorial are not going to be safe, clean, or quiet. Also, look into ProMove. They're a relocating service that is absolutely free to you (they get a kick back from the complex you choose to live in). You just give them your preferences and budget constraints and they'll find you some places that are a good fit.

Yeah, I would say any apartment complexes off Boulevard from North Ave to Memorial are not going to be safe, clean, or quiet. Also, look into ProMove. They're a relocating service that is absolutely free to you (they get a kick back from the complex you choose to live in). You just give them your preferences and budget constraints and they'll find you some places that are a good fit.

Awesome! Thank you, Sending good vibes~

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!! I'm really excited to attend GATech this fall...can someone please tell me if car is preferable or local transport? I'm an international student & I'll probably be taking university housing for first semester.

You will definitely need a car. Atlanta is a car dependent city. MARTA has trains and buses, but both are rather inconvenient and inefficient. They also do not cover much of the city anyway.

Also, can someone guide me in which area of university I should take housing like proximity to classes etc? I'll be in MS Bioinformatics program

You really only have one choice, and that's the graduate student housing on 10th street (Graduate Living Center). It's not that far from the MS buildings on west campus. I would advise that you live off campus, especially if you have a car, as it is MUCH cheaper and you avoid the crappy housing on campus. Just stay out of Home Park (the neighborhood immediately north of campus), as that's not the safest area (it's a student ghetto), and the housing options there are pretty bad anyway. See my previous posts on where you should look for housing, if you have reliable transportation. 

Hi everyone, I am attending GSU this fall and I will have a $2000 per month stipend. I hope to save some money for trips or entertainments, etc. I guess I will find some guys to share an apartment and I am going to own a car, which means some expenses on car such as insurance and parking. So, is $1500 quite enough for a single male graduate student? Any suggestion on finding a nice and affordable apartment?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Incoming Grad students,

I'll be a grad student at GSU for Anth and am trying to figure out housing, If anyone is interested just send me a message! 

Ben 

• 9 months later...

Dear all,

I just got admission and graduate research assistantship [GRA] from Georgia Tech. The GRA includes tuition fee covered and a gross salary of $1320 per month. Is there anyone who currently lives in Georgia, Atlanta (especially ones who currently study at Georgia Tech). How is the tax and living cost at Georgia, Atlanta ? is a gross salary of $1320 per month enough for me (and maybe with my wife) to live in Georgia, Atlanta ?

Thank you so much ! 

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 8:18 AM, BuzzinAround said:

You will definitely need a car. Atlanta is a car dependent city. MARTA has trains and buses, but both are rather inconvenient and inefficient. They also do not cover much of the city anyway.

Has it changed at all? I know one year is not that long ago, but I rather not get a car if I don't have to. How's the bike culture in Atlanta?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I am going to study PhD at GSU this Fall. I want to find a roommate to rent an apartment in Station Square Apartments, (http://rjamesproperties.com/properties/station-square-apartments/) or somewhere else (prefer near MARTA coz I dont have a car). If you have an available room and need a roommate, I am happy to join. I will go to Atlanta in August.

I am female, 27 years old. I am not in a relationship. I am neither too out-going, nor too reserved , but prefer quiet for studying environment.

Thus, I am looking for someone:

- Female preferred, but everyone welcomed as long as you are a good buddy :D

- Respect mutual atmosphere. Shouldnt host guest(s) overnight (occasionally is accepted), and plz, no sex in the house.

- Willing to make the house home (because we live there for year-long)

- No pets, no smoking!!!

If you are interested in, send me a message and we may discuss further.

Thanks for your attention.

Edited by Fall2106

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2015 at 10:45 AM, esotericish said:

How's parking on Emory's campus, do you know?

Expensive, but possible. Emory has a great service of shuttles and park-and-rides, so look into that. Because Emory has the hospital there, there are a lot of parking decks, but they are pricey... :)

On 2/16/2016 at 0:43 AM, Sorawit said:

Has it changed at all? I know one year is not that long ago, but I rather not get a car if I don't have to. How's the bike culture in Atlanta?

Atlanta is becoming increasingly bike-friendly. There is a strong biking community that pushes local government for biking lanes, trails, and paths. MARTA is still not good, but it is useable and you can rely on it with Google Maps. If you are a student, I think that you can get a discount through your school if you commute with MARTA. The only problem with MARTA (in my opinion) is that it is slow. It can take you three times more time to get to one place compared to the car. That said, I wouldn't get a car until you need to, and you'll know that when you get there (that's what I did). In my first year, fellow graduate students drove me places. In general, people are happy to help, to carpool, to drive someone. And when I got the car, I paid it forward.

I hope this helps... :)

• 10 months later...

Hello guys! Ive been admitted to Georgia Tech for the upcoming fall  (Chemistry) and would appreciate any advice on how to manage moving there (am an International student). Ive been on an internship to Georgia Tech before so I am familiar with the ins and outs of Atlanta  a bit but back then I did not have to worry about housing or transportation. Any advice is appreciated!