Iowa City, IA

Panda77

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a new graduate student coming from the southeast! have a couple questions:

(1) Where do graduate students typically live? I know from earlier posts that Coralville is an option, but I am not 100% sure I will bring a car. Is there any area in Iowa City itself that graduate students live? Or would it be better to just bring a car?

(2)  I will be splitting my time between the Carver medical building and the Psychology buildings (Stuitt, Seashore, Spence). Does anyone know of a good place to live that is more or less equidistant to these two locations?

Thanks in advance!

Plenty of graduate students live in Iowa City, but you should bring a car, because it gets cold and snowy and you won't want to walk in it.

I would try and live west of the river. There are plenty of city and campus bus routes along that side of town that will stop at or near Carver on their way to downtown, and once you get downtown, it's a 10 minute walk to Seashore. 

16 hours ago, girlscoutcookies said:

Plenty of graduate students live in Iowa City, but you should bring a car, because it gets cold and snowy and you won't want to walk in it.

I would try and live west of the river. There are plenty of city and campus bus routes along that side of town that will stop at or near Carver on their way to downtown, and once you get downtown, it's a 10 minute walk to Seashore. 

Thank you! Also, do you know of any furnished apartments? From what I can tell most are unfurnished. 

I'm also in psych and I live on the North Side (as do quite a few grad students), the neighborhood north of downtown and the psych buildings. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the campus and I don't own a car. I just walk to Seashore/Spence, but it does get cold so keep that in mind. It is a fairly short walk, though. As far as furnished places, you are definitely correct that most are unfurnished. 

Edited by canuck1986

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 9:49 PM, Sleam said:

Time for this thread to start back up! What's the latest? Costs, areas, etc...

I'm heading there in a couple of weeks to meet my new advisor and look around. I'm looking for housing in the downtown area, as I'll be without a car for at least a year. Housing seems like it's not too expensive there, although I think that's relative to where you're living now. I've heard differing things about the public transportation system. One person said good, the other said bad.  

Hopefully I'll know more after my trip. I'll report back after March 22. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Come on, Iowa City people! I know you're out there!

I just got back from a weekend there. I looked at quite a few apartments, found a great one on Northside and signed a lease, got the low down on parking, got a bike route map, went to a ton of great restaurants, drank local beers, walked around campus. I'm super excited to move there! 

Has anyone else visited campus? Anyone who lives there and wants to share their wisdom?

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2017 at 0:42 PM, rheya19 said:

Come on, Iowa City people! I know you're out there!

I just got back from a weekend there. I looked at quite a few apartments, found a great one on Northside and signed a lease, got the low down on parking, got a bike route map, went to a ton of great restaurants, drank local beers, walked around campus. I'm super excited to move there! 

Has anyone else visited campus? Anyone who lives there and wants to share their wisdom?

I will be going to U Iowa this fall. When I visited in October I LOVED it. A beautiful accepting liberal artsy oasis. 

Signed a lease for a 1 bed apartment north of downtown. Big house with 5 units. Evidently, they're mostly undergrads so I'm a bit worried. 

The town had a surprisingly awesome small food scene, coffee shops and even a speakeasy with $5 craft cocktail happy hour (and live jazz thursdays)!!!! 

VERY excited to live there for 3 years. 

On 6/12/2017 at 0:37 PM, Boseph16 said:

I will be going to U Iowa this fall. When I visited in October I LOVED it. A beautiful accepting liberal artsy oasis. 

Signed a lease for a 1 bed apartment north of downtown. Big house with 5 units. Evidently, they're mostly undergrads so I'm a bit worried. 

The town had a surprisingly awesome small food scene, coffee shops and even a speakeasy with $5 craft cocktail happy hour (and live jazz thursdays)!!!! 

VERY excited to live there for 3 years. 

I also had some good food there. There are more restaurants and craft breweries if you can get away from downtown. I have a cafe, wine shop, falafal place, and diner within walking distance of my apartment, though, so I think I should be covered. :)

• 3 years later...

Just wanna bring back the thread.

I'm an international student newly accepted into UIowa and looking forward to learn more about the Iowa City area.

I have so many questions. But to start, what are your views on UIowa's Aspire at West Campus as a place to live for grad students?

Thanks!

On 2/23/2021 at 2:19 PM, natpvh72 said:

Just wanna bring back the thread.

I'm an international student newly accepted into UIowa and looking forward to learn more about the Iowa City area.

I have so many questions. But to start, what are your views on UIowa's Aspire at West Campus as a place to live for grad students?

Thanks!

Hi!! I'm not from Iowa either (from Michigan but have lived in CA for a long time) but wanted to say Hi since I'm also starting at U Iowa this fall!

I don't really have anything to add but I have been scouring apartments religiously and it seems like Aspire is nice in that it's new, modern, and convenient (bus shuttles, car parking, animal friendly) but that it's overpriced in terms of square footage. But also I'm not from there so this is just what I've read online!

51 minutes ago, soobak said:

Hi!! I'm not from Iowa either (from Michigan but have lived in CA for a long time) but wanted to say Hi since I'm also starting at U Iowa this fall!

I don't really have anything to add but I have been scouring apartments religiously and it seems like Aspire is nice in that it's new, modern, and convenient (bus shuttles, car parking, animal friendly) but that it's overpriced in terms of square footage. But also I'm not from there so this is just what I've read online!

Great to see a fellow grad student! Congrats to you PhD acceptance!

I'm looking for apartments like crazy as well. Idk if you have found some Reddit posts about UIowa and Iowa City, but just in case, there are some that maybe helpful to you:

And there are many more if you scan through the r/uiowa and r/IowaCity subreddits.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, natpvh72 said:

Great to see a fellow grad student! Congrats to you PhD acceptance!

I'm looking for apartments like crazy as well. Idk if you have found some Reddit posts about UIowa and Iowa City, but just in case, there are some that maybe helpful to you:

And there are many more if you scan through the r/uiowa and r/IowaCity subreddits.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further!

Thanks so much for sending! I ended up finding a great place but it took EFFORT. I went in person to do apartment tours and thank god I did because 50% of them were not the same as the photos in the listing.

Maybe I'll see you around, good luck to you as well!

1 hour ago, soobak said:

Thanks so much for sending! I ended up finding a great place but it took EFFORT. I went in person to do apartment tours and thank god I did because 50% of them were not the same as the photos in the listing.

Maybe I'll see you around, good luck to you as well!

Gosh really!? Thanks for letting me know. I should probably go in person then. Can I DM you for some other questions? 

36 minutes ago, natpvh72 said:

Gosh really!? Thanks for letting me know. I should probably go in person then. Can I DM you for some other questions? 

Yes of course, feel free to DM me whenever!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 4:38 AM, natpvh72 said:

Hi there, I'm going to UIowa this fall too as a grad student. Should we start a group chat for those who are going to UI? It would be great for finding roommate and sharing experience and stuff

On 4/6/2021 at 7:59 AM, shyburrito said:

Hi there, I'm going to UIowa this fall too as a grad student. Should we start a group chat for those who are going to UI? It would be great for finding roommate and sharing experience and stuff

I already found an apartment but I'm down to join a chat!