OGS 2011-2012 Results

stanxv

Does anyone know that it is possible or not to change the citizenship status after the application is submitted? I applied as international applicant which only has 3% chance to win among all. One month after application deadline I got my permanent residency but I did not change the citizenship status (I was wrongly told hat it is impossible). I have found it that there was some way to do so... Those who have any experience please advice...

Doesn't really matter, you only have a 30% chance of winning this joke-show of a contest. They might as well have a bikini contest next year instead of us submit proposals and CV's.

Seems strange as well that it says "April 2011" as everyone else's changed to "early May 2011" a few weeks ago. Maybe something went wrong with your update?

Unfortunately, i still can't know the status of my application. The grad office in my university didn't get the results yet and nobody answers phone from OGS....damn it :angry:

Unfortunately, i still can't know the status of my application. The grad office in my university didn't get the results yet and nobody answers phone from OGS....damn it :angry:

That must be really frustrating. I really hope you find out soon - the waiting is the hardest part sometimes. Best of luck. :)

That must be really frustrating. I really hope you find out soon - the waiting is the hardest part sometimes. Best of luck. :)

After trying sooo many times to get a hold on someone at OGS, and after long-waiting on the line, I was informed that I am a successful candidate :). Thanks God!.

By the way, this is the number I called: 1-800-465-3957

Thanks everyone.

305 Electrical and Computer Engineering

Its updating again. I tried to log on to confirm my acceptance and I got the message:

"The online application is temporarily unavailable as it is currently being updated. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. Please check back later."

I received the OGS but alas I will be declining as I've accepted to do my doctorate outside the province.

I'm in "Humanities".

I just checked yesterday, so I don't know how long it had been up.

Congrats to all to received it and a bummer to me, because I didn't get SSHRC.

Can I still put a declined OGS on my CV?

Raise Cain,

Yes, you can just put (declined) next to the award. I received sshrc and ogs last year, so i had to turn down ogs. Luckily I was able to take the ogs this year, as my sshrc just ran out.

Best of luck to those on the reversion list. Sshrc recipients have to turn down ogs, as do those who study oitsode ontario. so there's a good chance of getting one...

Yes, I will be declining OGS too, so hang in there reversion listers!

Raise Cain,

Yes, you can just put (declined) next to the award. I received sshrc and ogs last year, so i had to turn down ogs. Luckily I was able to take the ogs this year, as my sshrc just ran out.

Best of luck to those on the reversion list. Sshrc recipients have to turn down ogs, as do those who study oitsode ontario. so there's a good chance of getting one...

This is my first post as I didn't see an introduction section on the forum - I've been lurking on this thread for a while and it was good to see that my agony in waiting for OGS results was shared. I found out last week that I was successful (110 Cultural Studies), which was a huge relief as I was apprehensive about living in Toronto on York's funding after six years working as a senior administrator in the (UK) public sector. I've got a couple questions that I was wondering if anyone on here has any thoughts about.

1) Does getting OGS for the first year of my doctoral program (applied directly to the ministry) increase my chances of getting funding in subsequent years?

2) Should I be getting letters of references for 2012/13 competition from the referees I had for 2011/12 (the profs I had at Goldsmiths) before I leave London this August? When it comes time to apply for OGS next year, I will only have been at York for a couple months and the profs there won't really be able to express an opinion about me.

hi plasticpalmtree,

first of all, congratulations!! ogs is a great scholarship to have on your cv.

as for your questions:

1) although there isn't a magic formula (or at least one that any of us can figure out) for ogs's rankings procedures, previously winning one will most certainly be in your favour when applying again...however, it's also not a guarantee, so bear that in mind.

2) when you apply for scholarships in your second year, you do need to get a recommendation from your new supervisor (or temporary advisor, if you haven't agreed on one yet). obviously this isn't ideal as he or she won't be as familiar with your work, as you've stated. this is where a letter from your previous supervisor will fill in the gaps. as for when to get the letter, leave this up to the discretion of your referee. although there are arguments for and against asking for a letter sooner rather than later, take into consideration your professor's schedule. are they busy with conference season? do they have other summer commitments? ask him or her when would be the best time, so that he or she can devote proper attention to your letter. (edit: i didn't read your question carefully- yes, if you are leaving in august, it might be a good time to get a letter from your referee, as many schools' internal deadlines are in october. still talk this over with your referee to confirm, though).

also, since you're going to york, you should check out the city guides forum on toronto. there's lots of valuable information on where live, grocery shop, etc. if you haven't looked into it yet.

best of luck!

pomodoro

This is my first post as I didn't see an introduction section on the forum - I've been lurking on this thread for a while and it was good to see that my agony in waiting for OGS results was shared. I found out last week that I was successful (110 Cultural Studies), which was a huge relief as I was apprehensive about living in Toronto on York's funding after six years working as a senior administrator in the (UK) public sector. I've got a couple questions that I was wondering if anyone on here has any thoughts about.

1) Does getting OGS for the first year of my doctoral program (applied directly to the ministry) increase my chances of getting funding in subsequent years?

2) Should I be getting letters of references for 2012/13 competition from the referees I had for 2011/12 (the profs I had at Goldsmiths) before I leave London this August? When it comes time to apply for OGS next year, I will only have been at York for a couple months and the profs there won't really be able to express an opinion about me.

Edited by pomodoro

Thanks pomodoro, that's really helpful. So I'll get one reference from my MA supervisor and another from the temporary supervisor I'm assigned this September. I forgot to mention that I'm actually from Toronto, but looking at a York guide on this forum is still a good idea as I don't know that part of the city at all.

Congratulations to everyone who successfully received an OGS! (And for those who are waitlisted, I hope you get it!)

I was accepted to do my Masters pretty late (April 29th) and I only discovered the OGS now.

Since the deadline for 2011-2012 has passed, can I still apply for next year? When are the applications available, and what are the due dates like?

There is an old adage derived from the theory of wealth condensation that money begets more money. However, throw this out the window in the world of academia. Awards such as SSHRC and OGS may help you're chances but they by no means guarantee you additional funding in later years. OGS and SSHRC are fucken popularity contests, it all depends on if the committees have a hard-on for your study. If your proposal does not fall under the category of flavour of the month then any previous grants will not help your chances. As I have said to many people in the past, don't let OGS or SSHRC grants go to your head, they are not indicative of your overall abilities or of your potential to secure prospective grants. I received SSHRC two years again and have been since twice rejected for OGS and SSHRC respectively. So don't rest on your laurels, work on your proposals and get publications out there, those are your best chances of getting funding. OGS don't mean shit!

hi plasticpalmtree,

first of all, congratulations!! ogs is a great scholarship to have on your cv.

as for your questions:

1) although there isn't a magic formula (or at least one that any of us can figure out) for ogs's rankings procedures, previously winning one will most certainly be in your favour when applying again...however, it's also not a guarantee, so bear that in mind.

2) when you apply for scholarships in your second year, you do need to get a recommendation from your new supervisor (or temporary advisor, if you haven't agreed on one yet). obviously this isn't ideal as he or she won't be as familiar with your work, as you've stated. this is where a letter from your previous supervisor will fill in the gaps. as for when to get the letter, leave this up to the discretion of your referee. although there are arguments for and against asking for a letter sooner rather than later, take into consideration your professor's schedule. are they busy with conference season? do they have other summer commitments? ask him or her when would be the best time, so that he or she can devote proper attention to your letter. (edit: i didn't read your question carefully- yes, if you are leaving in august, it might be a good time to get a letter from your referee, as many schools' internal deadlines are in october. still talk this over with your referee to confirm, though).

also, since you're going to york, you should check out the city guides forum on toronto. there's lots of valuable information on where live, grocery shop, etc. if you haven't looked into it yet.

best of luck!

pomodoro

My Graduate Director just told me that, due to an error at OGS, there have been some false positives on the website (i.e. some people have gotten a "successful candidate" message even though they are not actually successful candidates). I double checked mine, and it still says I am successful. Has anyone else heard this?

@deadwriter

We received an e-mail from our graduate studies dept that there were indeed errors posted on the website (many false successful applicants), and they advised everyone to recheck their status online. Fortunately, mine did not change. :)

@deadwriter

We received an e-mail from our graduate studies dept that there were indeed errors posted on the website (many false successful applicants), and they advised everyone to recheck their status online. Fortunately, mine did not change. :)

Apparently there is a disconnect between the individual online status updates and the lists of successful applicants submitted to the University Graduate Studies Departments. No one can confirm as yet where the real problem is.

Edited by jahmal

I accepted my award a few days ago and now I have to print my Confirmation of Acceptance for my department.

I can't for the life of me find it now - it only provides me with a summary!

Can anyone help me out??

I was listed as "successful with restrictions", but now the restrictions have been lifted and I was able to confirm acceptance. I thought it might have been because I lived for a few years in another province (I've lived in Ont. for more than 20 years of my life), but maybe it was just a glitch or something.