Long Beach, CA

stofo

My wife will be going to Cal State Long Beach and I will be going to Claremont. My wife does not drive and so we plan on living in or near Long Beach. What is it like commuting from Long Beach to Claremont? Is it doable? What are some good in between areas where we can live that she can access by public transit? Any other info about Long beach is helpful! thanks.

• 10 months later...

Long Beach is a great place and Cal State Long Beach is the BEST!!!! Public transportation however is not too good. You'll need a car especially if coming from Claremont. While there is public transportation taking you almost anywhere, it's slow since Long Beach (Like LA) is spread out.

Long Beach in general is sunny, warm, relaxed, friendly, artsy, beautiful, beachy, fun, liberal, suburban, city-like, generic, unique, quiet, loud and close to OC (Orange County) as well. You can get to the actual beach in about 10 minutes.

You'll love your time in Long Beach.

My pics on favorite places to go/things to do:

--- 2nd Street in Belmont Shore -cool shops, fun vibe and 5 minutes from the water.

--- Favorite place to Eat: McKenna's on the Bay ocated in the Alamitos Landing - ritzy but down-to-earth feel, slighty pricey but great ocean front eating. Go there just before sunset to snag a good table by the window and get ready to listen to live music.

---Fun Tourist Stuff: Queen Mary (a "Haunted Ship/Hotel), The Pike (super commercially boardwalk)

---Secret Places only a Native Would know: Skyline Park - Awesome views and a romantic place at sunset. Be careful going up some steep streets to get there (what's known as Signal Hill where the park is located). Also check out the Korean Bell in Nearby San Pedro for a similar and even more stunning view.

---Insider's know that...Naples Island (similar to the real life Venice) is a unique place where "streets" are canals and you get around via gondolas as you cruise past beautiful mansions!

---The one thing you gotta do in LB: Participate in the Long Beach Marathon (get involved either as part of the bike tour, half marathon runner, full marathon runner or volunteer). It's an all day party on the streets of LB!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I was recently accepted into CSULB's MFA program and I will be moving to the city in mid August. I was hoping to get some advice on housing but will gladly accept tips of any sort from those who have lived in Long Beach.

As far as housing, I prefer to live in a shared house with others. I'm past my party years but don't mind a back yard BBQ and some beers. I've lived in many different housing situations from communes to lofts in garages. I don't mind 'rougher' parts of town but it would be nice to park outside without worry about my windows getting smashed in. Looking for a house share on a budget of about $400-500/month.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips you may have!

• 3 weeks later...

craiglist is probably a good place to start, although with housing, it doesn't make much sense to start hunting more than 30 days before you plan to relocate.

FYI, i was able to find a dog-friendly studio downtown for $795 a month in november 2010, so there are some pretty affordable options, especially if you look farther inland (i'm walking distance to the beach). if you don't have pets, that significantly widens your options too.

I'm also considering CSULB. How safe is the area where the college is? I'd be looking to move in August as well. Where are the safest areas to live? I'm more cautious and picky about housing options. A roommate would be fine, but I'm an older grad student and very serious about focusing exclusively on school. I keep hearing mixed opinions on the city itself and with the deadline for decisions coming at the end of the week I can't visit prior to making my choice. Any information would be helpful. I've seen tons of places between $650-1100 but I'm not sure of their locations. Any help would be appreciated.

Hmm safety. I'd say the immediate area is pretty safe. I walk 20 minutes to school because I park in the surrounding neighborhoods. East of campus, north of Anaheim. It's cheaper than a parking permit. There are a few open places there.

I know people live in http://www.bixbyhillapts.com/2/Apartments-for-Rent-in-Long-Beach-California/ and I don't think you can get much more convenient than that.

A lot of people live here: http://csulb.och101.com/North-America/United-States/California/Long-Beach/1718-Ximeno-Avenue-25092/ Convient but not as safe as the other places I've mentioned.

There are some sketchy areas in downtown for sure. SKETCH. But there are okay places in LB proper. There are also some really nice places in neighboring cities: seal beach, rossmoor, Westminster, Huntington Beach. I prefer south of the city because then you aren't fighting traffic on the 405. Realistically, you need a car. And if you have a car, a commute thats less that 10 miles isn't that bad. It's pretty standard for our commuter school.

• 1 year later...

How about a commute from LB to Irvine? I'm considering a PhD program at UCI but I'm not sure if I want to leave beautifully-diverse Oakland for a planned city that's completely different demographically. The internet tells me LB is the closest I might find to an urban atmosphere near there? does anyone have other suggestions? thanks!

How about a commute from LB to Irvine? I'm considering a PhD program at UCI but I'm not sure if I want to leave beautifully-diverse Oakland for a planned city that's completely different demographically. The internet tells me LB is the closest I might find to an urban atmosphere near there? does anyone have other suggestions? thanks!

I live in Long Beach (Belmont Shore) and it is a great place to live, but if you are looking for more urban and diverse and you will be living in Irvine then you might want to check out the Santa Ana Arts District (just google it). I have never been over there but my younger sister and my husband's younger sister love to go over there because they have edgier restaurants and a big art scene and aparently the housing is cheap and they have lots of cool options like artists lofts and shared spaces. Plus, it will be a lot closer. Good luck!

On 3/29/2013 at 3:18 PM, KeelyMK said:

Keely, you might also look into Costa Mesa. My brother lived in Irvine for a (short) while (for reasons you can probably guess), and has been much happier in CM. Not exactly "urban," but more things to do, less of a Stepford vibe, etc. Most of the cities in Orange County will be quite different from what you're used to (I've been to Oakland a few times), but some are better than others. Irvine-proper is probably the worst in that respect.

In my experience, Santa Ana can be somewhat hit or miss, safety wise. I probably wouldn't want to commute from Long Beach unless you're able to work it so that you're driving during non-peak traffic times-- the 405 can be notoriously awful.

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted to a post-bac program at CSULB and I am seriously considering attending. I'm looking for info on housing.. recommendations on affordable options within a 15 minute drive. Since this is technically graduate work, I'm not looking for a place to party hard.. fun on the weekends is all good but I can't be up all hours of the night from noise. I am not opposed to having a roommate and getting a 2 bedroom something, but any advice on tracking a roommate down? Or even where you can find affordable one bedrooms/studios nearby? Probably coming down in a few weeks to take a look around.. thanks so much!

I was accepted to a post-bac program at CSULB and I am seriously considering attending. I'm looking for info on housing.. recommendations on affordable options within a 15 minute drive. Since this is technically graduate work, I'm not looking for a place to party hard.. fun on the weekends is all good but I can't be up all hours of the night from noise. I am not opposed to having a roommate and getting a 2 bedroom something, but any advice on tracking a roommate down? Or even where you can find affordable one bedrooms/studios nearby? Probably coming down in a few weeks to take a look around.. thanks so much!

My husband and I live in Belmont Shore, which is about a 10 minute drive from CSULB (only because there are a lot of stop lights on 2nd St. and that is the main street in and out of Belmont Shore). It is a great place to live! We live on 2nd St. in what is technically known as Belmont Heights, but we are a 10 minute walk to all the bars, restaurants, and shops in the shore area, and only a five minute walk to the beach. We pay $1050 for a one bedroom but I know there are lots of studios and cheaper one bedrooms in the area, the only problem is that most of them don't advertise on the internet. If you wanted to find a place around here the best thing to do is just cruise around for "for rent" signs in the areas around 2nd St. and 4th St. (where there are also lots of coffee shops and stuff). Another way to find a place would be to pop into a coffee shop on second street and grab a copy of the local paper, "The Grunion," which always has apartment listings in the back. Anyways, we have lived here for five years and have loved every minute of it! I would highly recommend Belmont Shore/Belmont Heights :)

Thank you so much, that's super helpful! I was browsing online this weekend and everything seemed so expensive.. I was hoping there might be more if I visited the area. I'm planning on coming down this weekend just to take a look at the campus.. it's a bit early to be looking for apartments as obviously a lot of what is open now probably won't be late in summer, but it will be good to take a look around. Will definitely visit your area, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have just been admitted into CSULB for my Master's. I'm from Los Angeles but don't know the Long Beach area too well. I don't really have a price range but would like to rent with the financial aid money I'd receive. Does anyone have tips or opinions as to where I should look? Thanks!

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Long Beach is a great place to live. Wonderful to ride bikes and enjoyable coastal weather.   Living within a mile of the beach can be $$$ ($1400-1200/mo for a studio or 1 br), so take a look between 4th and 10th for a deal.  Seems to be a TON of housing near the traffic circle but that place is just packed with apartments and franchised food places.  I live less than 2 miles from campus near 4th and Ximeno (3 br $2150/mo) and bike everyday, its a pleasure.

Great food and friendly people in town and easy to get a morning surf session before afternoon or evening classes!

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 2:48 PM, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Anyone? I'm trying to pull off a 1br apartment if at all possible. I never had my own room as a kid, never lived in my own space one time as an adult thus far. I dream of it.

Tbh, you probably will want to find roommates to rent a place together. I don't live in Long Beach but still in LA and know that in Long Beach you are looking around $1900 for a studio and around $1600 for a 1 bedroom. You will want to be on the lookout for where to live, growing up I always thought of Long Beach not being the best place to live (crime, etc) but I have been there recently and there are now some better areas. Hope that helps!

One other note, you may want to look outside of Long Beach for a cheaper place.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:10 PM, dippedincoffee said:

Tbh, you probably will want to find roommates to rent a place together. I don't live in Long Beach but still in LA and know that in Long Beach you are looking around $1900 for a studio and around $1600 for a 1 bedroom. You will want to be on the lookout for where to live, growing up I always thought of Long Beach not being the best place to live (crime, etc) but I have been there recently and there are now some better areas. Hope that helps!

One other note, you may want to look outside of Long Beach for a cheaper place.

Do you mean rent plus utilities or...? I wasn't seeing anything nearly that high. Of course, I'm fine with a 30+ minute public transit commute, so maybe that's why? I was seeing a decent number of options around the $1400 mark, but I was really hoping for cheaper. The only sub-$1000 lead I've found can't seem to tell me when I can actually apply, but I've applied to some places that are around $1300 and appear pretty solid.  I want to find roommates eventually, but I'm almost 26 years old: I've had roommates for a long time now, nightmarish roommate situations like you would not even believe, and I've kept my rent low (and I mean low - my highest rent of all time was $400 a month) - I'm not risking shitty roommates when I've spent three years building my credit score, reading, and researching programs. If I was dirt poor, it'd be a different story. Are there any places that aren't in Long Beach but would be a reasonable commute? That's where I'm totally clueless.

According to the posts I see on GradCafe, I've apparently never lived in a good neighborhood in my whole life and I love my parents' neighborhood to this day. But when someone says "bad neighborhood", I'm assuming they mean "someone can come up and mug you with impunity." 

Edited by you'll_never_get_to_heaven