what to do in two years wait

modern_muslimah

Hello all,

I just graduated with a BA in Religious Studies from Case Western. I'm moving to Toledo with my husband for two years. Besides taking the GRE, what else should I do in these two years to make myself attractive for a graduate program in Religion? I want to focus on Islam and gender, specifically as it relates to convert Muslims. If you take time off, does this reflect negatively or positively on an applicant?

You should keep in contact with the professors that will write your recommendations. Polish a writing sample. Start writing your personal statement. Start identifying programs of interest. Maybe audit or take a course in the field at a local university if you can. Keep reading journal articles if you can. Get a job you don't hate.

• 9 months later...

Two years will not hurt you, rather, it may even help you.

Many graduate schools explicitly discuss that the majority of their students are adults with life experience as opposed to a majority of 22 year olds who never left "the scene."

I, too, have a degree in Religion and want to pursue a Masters in Islamic studies. I couldn't afford it initially, so I joined the working world. Like others mentioned before, use the time to polish your application and keep in contact with your professors, but also try to make your job somehow become "related experience." Right now I work for a bank, and while that seems like it has nothing to do with the field, "Islamic finance" and a need for understanding Shariah-compliant banking has become popular. My work there as an analyst will *hopefully* supplement my resume as it is an interdisciplinary approach to the study of Islam.

Shariah-compliant banking has become popular. My work there as an analyst will *hopefully* supplement my resume as it is an interdisciplinary approach to the study of Islam.

Interesting area. The Shariah and banking stuff never ceases to amaze me. I think the Chasidim are the only other group of people who insist so stubbornly holding on to customs that are completely impractical while living in the modern world. They, too, do complicated ethical endruns (worthy of vintage Jesuits).

You know any good books on Shariah funds (academic or otherwise, both are fine)? I'm familiar with Accounting and somewhat familiar with finance. I'm largely ignorant of the Qu'uran (read it once, read an introduction on it, read some Aristotelian Islamic Philosophy).

Oh and OP, I second finding a job. Try to find the best job you can, I'm sure your interests will shine through. Maybe you'll pick up some new interests, too. The other poster's shariah fund work is a great example. Interesting field. Really worked out for him or her no? I have a less awesome, though no less relevant story.

I did my undergrad in literature. I got a job as a bookkeeper, which was pretty much my last choice since I hated math. Turns out I was great at accounting. As fate would have it, there's no geometry, calculus, or any of the other parts of math I failed in actual accounting work. Who knew? Having strong quantitative research skills (which is basically what accounting is, plus some statistics) has really helped me on my thesis, plus I file my own taxes every year.

You know any good books on Shariah funds (academic or otherwise, both are fine)? I'm familiar with Accounting and somewhat familiar with finance. I'm largely ignorant of the Qu'uran (read it once, read an introduction on it, read some Aristotelian Islamic Philosophy).

Understanding Islamic Finance by Muhammad Ayub was the most thorough, although everything is presented theoretical without current examples of practices in this field. On the otherhand, An Intrdoction to Islamic Finance by Iqbal and Mirakhour is clear about how Shariah compliance works today and what it yeilds. These are the only two I've read thus far, but both were helpful for different reasons.

Funny you mention Aristotelian Islamic Philosophy- are you referring to Avicenna or al-Farabi? They are two I am interested in studying in grad school!

Understanding Islamic Finance by Muhammad Ayub was the most thorough, although everything is presented theoretical without current examples of practices in this field. On the otherhand, An Intrdoction to Islamic Finance by Iqbal and Mirakhour is clear about how Shariah compliance works today and what it yeilds. These are the only two I've read thus far, but both were helpful for different reasons.

Funny you mention Aristotelian Islamic Philosophy- are you referring to Avicenna or al-Farabi? They are two I am interested in studying in grad school!

Nice, thanks. I'll pick them up.

Re: Avicenna and Al-Farabi. I'm mildly familiar with both.

I'm not especially familiar with the stuff ("read it once" territory) and have never read it in the original language, but since I looooooove Aristotle (I have a copy of Aristotle's basic writings on my end table), one of my friends who's a big middle east guy (he served in Iraq, has some Arabic proficiency, etc) and went to SUNY-Oneonta for Philosophy is always handing me Professor Parviz Morewedge's books. I'm generally in a little over my head with the stuff (like I said, I get Aristotle, but I'm not very familiar with Islamic culture). A tad dense (I had to refer to Aristotle's Metaphysics on more than one occassion) and more than a little dry, but good reading, if you get the chance. The guy's a hell of a scholar. Very culturally sensitive and none of that post-colonial nonsense or jargon. Really gave me an interesting perspective on Islamic Philosophy, which I'd always considered ancillary to the Western tradition. Morewedge points out, quite justifiably, that it's anything but that. I'm sure I missed most of the finer points, but he got into those too, of course.

I'm also mildly familar, but rather interested in Sufism, but mainly on a theoretical/theological level versus other mystic traditions like Eckhart's Neoplatonic Catholic mysticism, Suzuki's Zen Buddhism, and the Russian Orthodox Mystic tradition i.e. Soloviev, Berdyaev, Tikhon, et al.