770 Q / 630 V / 5.5 W

3.6 GPA in History at Cornell University

Relevant Experience

1.5 years at a large NYC law firm focusing on structured finance

Cornell Policy Debate Team + Post-Graduation Alumni Adviser

Obama for America campaign unpaid staff

Other

Conducted faculty supervised research

Presented a paper at a history/policy conference in D.C.

Ideally, looking for a program that has a mix of theory and practice components, an opportunity to conduct research or other significant writing, simulations and case studies, a multi-disciplinary emphasis, and, while I can handle it, less emphasis on economics.

Ultimately, I want to work on another political campaign in a policy advisory role and then work on The Hill doing similar work for a senator or at the State Dept.

Hi all,

I am from Pakistan. I have done M.A Economics from Punjab University, Pakistan. I have two years experience in the Ministry of labour dealing with the International Labour Organization and two years with the Pakistan workers Federation (PWF) on International Labour Standards. My GRE Score is 670 Q, 600 V, 3 AWA.

I have also won the Fulbright Scholarship for Fall 2009.

I have applied for MPA/ID from HKS, MPP from California Berkeley, MILR from Cornell and MPP from Geroge washington.

can anybody evaluate my profile and tell me about my chances.

GWU is my #1 - I applied to its M.A. in Public Policy with a concentration in Women's Studies. Any other WST folks out there?

enantiomorph:

I am applying to GW, as well. You seem pretty excited about GW. What are your reasons for picking GW as your top choice? I appreciate any feedback or impressions you can share about GW.

Linden

Is anyone else applying to CMU? They should have received my GRE scores during the second or third week of December, but they still haven't updated my file. A few weeks ago they sent out a mass e-mail instructing applicants not to contact them regarding GRE scores, for it is taking them awhile to organize everything due to a large number of applications (uh oh!).

If you're applying, is your GRE still listed as unofficial? If it's official, how long did it take?

enantiomorph:

No, my flagging level enthusiasm is unrelated to anything specific to GW. I'm actually still quite excited about the program; I think I am just worried I won't get be admitted.

Good luck with your plans. If history is any indication, we should hear from GW shortly.

Linden

HI,

I have applied to three schools in the DC area. I have applied and been accepted to the School of Public Affairs at American University to prusue my MPP. I have also applied and been accepted to a different type of Program at GWU within the Graduate School of Political Management (not TSPPPA). The program is Master of Political Management. I have also applied to GPPI (Georgetown) for the MPP. I have not yet heard back from them. As of now, I as leaning toward the the GW Political Management degree. Does anyone know of this program and if so what is the impression you get from it. Are the things you've heard pretty much favorable, nonfavorable. Thanks for any help.

HI,

I have applied to three schools in the DC area. I have applied and been accepted to the School of Public Affairs at American University to prusue my MPP. .

Are you debating the MPA vs the MPP? I've been thinking about each for a time. I've been accepted into an MPA - I hope I can say the same about an MPP soon - but I'm unsure about which path to take.

Does anyone on the board have any suggestions?

Are you debating the MPA vs the MPP? I've been thinking about each for a time. I've been accepted into an MPA - I hope I can say the same about an MPP soon - but I'm unsure about which path to take.

Does anyone on the board have any suggestions?

The answer to that ultimately lies with what you foresee yourself wanting to do in the future. Do not let name of the degree determine your choice. You need to take a look at the curriculum of each school to see which best fits your needs. You may find programs that have both degrees, and the content of each will be virtually similar. The MPA would generally be geared to producing managers while the MPP was originally suited for producing analysts. Again, however, those lines have become blurred. NASPAA has a good glib on the differences between the two degrees.

I have applied and been accepted to the School of Public Affairs at American University to prusue my MPP. I have also applied and been accepted to a different type of Program at The George Washington University within the Graduate School of Political Management (not TSPPPA).

You have 2 acceptances already? I propose you be banned from the board. Kidding, of course. Congrats!

I have not heard of the program at GW, so I can't comment.

The political management degree at GW is not at all an MPA. It's tailored for people who actually want to work in politics generally speaking. They also have a degree in legislative affairs that is somewhat similar but targeted specifically to people who want to work on the Hill or be lobbyists. My impression is that they are highly regarded for what they are, which is an applied political degree rather than a policy one.

For those who applied to UCLA, I just received an email about a missing LOR that included this gem: "Thank you for submitting your application to our MPP program. We will begin to review your application shortly; however, before we do so, we will need a few materials that are missing from your application..."

I know it's pure desperation when something like that becomes an exciting!update!. Meh. Is it March yet?

UCLA just updated my last LOR to "complete." I'm not expecting a decision until mid March.

I think people will still apply to masters programs with the hopes of receiving funding. If they don't, then they make the decision to not go.

Also, I don't see "government affairs" (name of board) having an off-year during a time when a new president has recharged the enthusiasm of a sizable chunk of the nation.

Just making some advanced excuses for any rejections I might receive!

Wachtel, the dean at Northwestern, wrote that if masters degree applicants cannot find loans, then the number of masters students may decline."

This is what I'm worried about, not finding a loan.

Also, I'm with younglions that any sort of public affairs apps will increase after a 2-year presidential election that increased youth interest and participation in the electoral process. But, also like younglions, that's just me making advance excuse for any rejections.

Indeed, right after the election, I was wondering if the youth that had been active in or had been inspired by the campaign would be applying in droves to policy programs. Nevertheless, many/some of those individuals who have been recently inspired by the new president to work in the public sector perhaps don't have the preparation (i.e. GRE scores, GPA, and, most importantly, work experience) that many of us on this board have. I would think adcoms would be able to see the difference between an applicant who has clearly been gearing his/her career and education towards an MPP/IR degree and an applicant who decided to do this a few months ago because she/he is very suddenly inspired to work for change. Anyway, that's my hope. :)

But, despite that logic and my calm veneer, I do share your concerns, younglions and policy_applicant, that policy programs will be inundated with applications.

Oh schools, please hurry up!

I sort of applied to be a fellow with a fancy government consulting firm thinking that they would take a long to review the applications and I'd know something from schools by then, but NO. So now I have an fellowship interview from 8am to 2pm (assuming I even find a way to make it out to McLean, VA without a car) and I still have no word on schools... grumble!