Cal State MSW's - which are better? Is USC worth the $?

genmsw

Hello, everyone

I need your help, please.

I am torn and very unsure about which school I should go to for my MSW.

I applied and have been accepted to CSULB, CSUF, and USC (Orange County location). I like the Mental Health Concentration and Older Adults subconcentration at USC very much, and I have been offered a scholarship for $12,000 (other scholarships are pending decision). However, $12k is nothing when one considers tuition is $43k per year :( I have heard great things about CSULB and like their Older Adult Concentration there as well. Any advice, please?

I think you should make a pros/cons list. Think about what you look for in a program, what type of graduate experience would you want, and so on then do a side by side comparison.

Some things that I considered when I made my own comparison chart were:

- student demographcis (i.e. avg. age, ethnicity, etc.)

- populations you would work with at each location (LA might give you access to diff. population than say, Fullerton - probably more homelessness, drug addiction, etc. in LA than in Fullerton, but I could be wrong!)

- demographics of the location

- % of graduates who find full-time employment soon after graduating

- where do some alumni work

- opportunties for global immersion during the summer

- size of incoming cohort

- avg. class size

- Does the program offer a large variety of field placement opportunities, which I think speaks to how well connected they are to the community

- Are there any professors who have areas of interest/research that align with your interests? You won't be doing research with them, but I'm sure their class content will somehow reflect some of their areas of expertise.

- Look at your finances to see how much student loans you would realistically be able and willing to take on. I was only offered two different unsubsidized graduate loans and work study for SFSU. I doubt I'll qualify for the State University Grant, so no free money. You'll still have to take out loans, but the amount would be less since tuition is only around 6-7k per year.

- Facilities/resources - this might not matter as much, but it could help you decide between two very similar programs. For example, maybe CSULB's campus is a lot nicer than CSUF's - better classrooms, libraries, student centers, etc. Which campus do you like being on more?

Good luck!! I understand how tough it is - I'm still in the process of making my final decision. The way I see it, you can't make the wrong choice and have regrets if you've never experieced it. You might not even like the programs you didn't choose, but you'll never know because you were never there. There are pros and cons to each choice, but I think it all works out in the end. There will be great opportunities and experiences with any decision you make.

I am on the same boat! I applied to CSULB, CSULA & USC.

I've been wait listed at both CSULB & CSULA (should know by June), and have been accepted to USC.

However, the cost of tuition has really put a damper on my decision to attend. Although the network, prestigious name as well as the mental health concentration are factors i'm taking into consideration.

I'm just now sure if i want to be swimming in a 80k+ debt afterward graduation..

I have a TOUGH situation! I have been accepted and granted the Title IV stipend at SDSU for the Child Welfare MSW. However, I got the acceptance for CSULA today for Families and Aging. I really wanted to go to LA but now I'm torn because of the stipend! Either I choose a better program (LA) OR go to a not so good program but receive the stipend (SDSU). Also, I have been looking into the PPS credential and LA doesnt offer this, however SD does. I Know LA is the place to work and am TOO torn for this, and my intent for LA is due May 6! AHHHHH HELPPPPPPPPPP PLEASE!!! advice on schools, stipends, etc. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Charm, I am thinking about attending Cal State LA also, has anyone replied to your question above about the program? I would also like to know of someone who has experience with the program and how that's going for them.

Thanks!

Hey Charm, I am thinking about attending Cal State LA also, has anyone replied to your question above about the program? I would also like to know of someone who has experience with the program and how that's going for them.

Thanks!

No one has got back to me but my counselor said CSULA MSW program is one the oldest program in cal and it has a great rep. I got into USC but it is to expensive and CSULA program holds just as much weight but I am trying to decided between LA and CSUDH because you can get your Social work license from there because they are one in 3 of the campuses that offer the classes you need for your license in their MSW program. Have you decided what school you are going to? we might just be COHORTS =)

• 2 years later...

Hey all, Id love to get this thread up and going again. Any of the people who were applying in 2011/2012, care to share your experience with whichever Cal State you decided to go with? Thanks!

I'd love to see this thread boosted too; I think it would be really interesting to hear some perspectives from people who either live in CA, or have attended any of the CSU's. Any thoughts appreciated! (re: campus, location, faculty, coursework, student body, culture, diversity, opportunities, etc.) 

Well, I can certainly chime in. I was accepted to USC back then and declined their offer. There's just no way I could have had peace of mind knowing I was 90K deep in the hole. Perhaps for a medical or business degree, but certainly not for a MSW. There are many less costly road paths that will give me those same three letters after my name. Just food for thought. 

IMO a degree from USC is not worth the debt you will take on, especially in a social work career. I agree with what most people have said about USC on here. I chose different CalStates to apply to based on the specific programs that they offered and the cost of living in each area. I accepted an admission offer from CSUF.

Saidy, I'm curious--what are your thoughts on the various CalStates (pros and cons)? Is there a reason you're leaning toward one/some over the others..?

like many posters before me, it really comes down to preference. My top priorities were cost, location and specializations. CSUF, CSULB and CSUDH all have similar costs and more or less the same distance from where I live. Additionally, they all offer stipends and the mental health/integrated health concentrations. I'm particularly interested in CSULB's pps credential, that will be a great addition to already having an msw and they also offer a course on play therapy which I am highly interested in taking. Therefore, csulb is naturally my first choice. Csuf is a newer program and so is csudh but they both offer relatively the same curriculum. I definitely lean more towards csuf just cause Its closer and I liked that they emphasized things like lobby days and other extracurricular activities to involve the students and the community.

As I've said in the past, I don't worry too much about the school or program because my work will speak for itself. I have confidence that programs in socal have their ish together, but the student is just as responsible,if not more, for what they get out of their education.

One last thought. I was going to apply to CSUN and chose not to at the last minute because it was too far and they have a complete generalist approach when teaching about social work. At the time, I saw it as a drawback that they didn't offer specializations, but now I wish I would have applied. I think in hindsight, a generalist approach could have prepared me for multiple areas of interest. Ce la vie. These are just my opinions, I think it's important to really know what you want out of your education and be smart about it. Don't just take other people's opinions. Do your research and really dig deep to find out what you want. If it's the name you're after, so be it! If it's the education at a cheaper rate, that's great too! At the end of the day it'll be YOU who's stuck with the bill, program, drive time or whatever else. Good luck making decisions! And feel free to ask any additional questions. (I've gone through this process more times than I care to admit) :)

• 6 years later...
On 4/11/2011 at 11:36 PM, MSW hopeful said:

In my opinion, and from what I have gathered from speaking to professors/PhD's who work in the field, state school MSW programs are well respected and the way to go! One of my professors from CSUSM says CSULB has the best MSW program in his opinion. I was accepted into the San Diego State MSW program for Fall 2011 and I am ECSTATIC! :) I was also accepted into a counseling program at USD but it is nothing compared to SDSU....it was just my back up. I am loving the price tag at SDSU. I also live in San Diego, and it just couldn't be a better fit for me. :D

Hi! Congrats! Can I ask how you liked/disliked the MSW program at SDSU? I just got into Columbia, NYU and USC's MSW program but didn't hear about SDSU's program until after the application deadline. I am considering deferring the other schools to apply this Fall for Fall 2022 at SDSU because their clinical path focuses on all the evidence based treatments I want to learn. Can you tell me your thoughts on this, and how much the program costs overall? What were some strengths/weaknesses about the program? Thanks so much!

29 minutes ago, JAM2021 said:

Hi! Congrats! Can I ask how you liked/disliked the MSW program at SDSU? I just got into Columbia, NYU and USC's MSW program but didn't hear about SDSU's program until after the application deadline. I am considering deferring the other schools to apply this Fall for Fall 2022 at SDSU because their clinical path focuses on all the evidence based treatments I want to learn. Can you tell me your thoughts on this, and how much the program costs overall? What were some strengths/weaknesses about the program? Thanks so much!

Hey there, I have been following MSW threads and I noticed you responded to someone who went to SDSU 10 years ago...I'm sure a ton has changed since then. I can tell you that I applied to SDSU this year and got accepted to CSU San Marcos and have yet to find out about SDSU, but the application process has been kind of a nightmare - it's very difficult to properly communicate with their admissions staff and some people in particular have been particularly challenging to get answers from in any nice and direct way. Hope any of that is helpful to you.

12 minutes ago, Magic Carpet Ride said:

Hey there, I have been following MSW threads and I noticed you responded to someone who went to SDSU 10 years ago...I'm sure a ton has changed since then. I can tell you that I applied to SDSU this year and got accepted to CSU San Marcos and have yet to find out about SDSU, but the application process has been kind of a nightmare - it's very difficult to properly communicate with their admissions staff and some people in particular have been particularly challenging to get answers from in any nice and direct way. Hope any of that is helpful to you.

Hi! I can't believe I didn't notice the year, I have been on so many threads tonight. Thanks so much for responding. Congrats on your acceptance to San Marcos! Wow, I'm sorry to hear the app process has been so terrible. You know, I went to apply to CSUN for their MFT program and it was a nightmare as well. They didn't even have my program available on the application until two days before the deadline! They granted me an extension, then apologetically rescinded it - it was the weirdest experience. I remember thinking that if it's this bad to just try and apply, then how bad will it be if I actually get in? I considered it a red flag and I just home the bulk of the Cal State system isn't as bad. I got I to some great schools for MSW (I want to become a psychotherapist) but it's really difficult to try and justify the cost, and the move to NY when I'd want to make connections in LA. I'm so confused with which program to choose, or if I should wait and apply to SDSU. My dream program was a Clinical Health PsyD - which I got into - but I refuse to pay $200,000 for the program. It's absurdly expensive for PsyDs! Thanks for listening. :)

3 minutes ago, JAM2021 said:

Hi! I can't believe I didn't notice the year, I have been on so many threads tonight. Thanks so much for responding. Congrats on your acceptance to San Marcos! Wow, I'm sorry to hear the app process has been so terrible. You know, I went to apply to CSUN for their MFT program and it was a nightmare as well. They didn't even have my program available on the application until two days before the deadline! They granted me an extension, then apologetically rescinded it - it was the weirdest experience. I remember thinking that if it's this bad to just try and apply, then how bad will it be if I actually get in? I considered it a red flag and I just home the bulk of the Cal State system isn't as bad. I got I to some great schools for MSW (I want to become a psychotherapist) but it's really difficult to try and justify the cost, and the move to NY when I'd want to make connections in LA. I'm so confused with which program to choose, or if I should wait and apply to SDSU. My dream program was a Clinical Health PsyD - which I got into - but I refuse to pay $200,000 for the program. It's absurdly expensive for PsyDs! Thanks for listening. :)

I understand how it goes - there is a lot of info on this site. I haven't heard about CSUN, but I can tell you that my experiences in the Cal State system have had some positives, but quite a lot of negatives. I went to another state school for a non-MSW graduate program and had some good professors, but overall didn't feel that most were supportive or caring...I know it varies from school to school. It's hard because it is so competitive to get into any of them now, so the students are competing and the staff don't have to try to get anyone to go there...so I'm not sure about the level of professionalism these days. I've had some really horrid experiences with some CSU staff this year in the whole application process honestly...to the point where if I had another option I might go to a better school system. I also want to be a clinical psychotherapist. I think many people will probably tell you that the CSU system is great, but if you are sensitive, need support, and are looking for staff who will really go out of their way to help you in your journey, I'm not sure this is it. I hope I am wrong and I've just been unfortunate to have some particularly negative experiences.

Hey all, is anyone planning on sending an email to the admissions team at SDSU next week? I just saw that today, May 1, is National Decision Day - so it feels like we should be asking what's up...? But I don't know, since a lot of us haven't heard yet, it does seem like we are in the same boat. Maybe I'll just keep venting anxiously here on this forum, but wondering if anyone is planning on reaching out to them next week.

19 minutes ago, Magic Carpet Ride said:

I understand how it goes - there is a lot of info on this site. I haven't heard about CSUN, but I can tell you that my experiences in the Cal State system have had some positives, but quite a lot of negatives. I went to another state school for a non-MSW graduate program and had some good professors, but overall didn't feel that most were supportive or caring...I know it varies from school to school. It's hard because it is so competitive to get into any of them now, so the students are competing and the staff don't have to try to get anyone to go there...so I'm not sure about the level of professionalism these days. I've had some really horrid experiences with some CSU staff this year in the whole application process honestly...to the point where if I had another option I might go to a better school system. I also want to be a clinical psychotherapist. I think many people will probably tell you that the CSU system is great, but if you are sensitive, need support, and are looking for staff who will really go out of their way to help you in your journey, I'm not sure this is it. I hope I am wrong and I've just been unfortunate to have some particularly negative experiences.

Wow! This is some interesting feedback for sure. I've heard many mixed reviews as well concerning the CSU system, so I'm really rooting for you in that you've made it past the most challenging bits yet. It really does seem hit or miss with CSUs but I have to tell you after doing my research when it comes to schools like Columbia, NYU and USC, there are also a lot of love/hate relationships happening there as well. I guess my mentors are correct when they say it's really about the individual and what they take from any given program - what they make of themselves - that really matters. Here's to hoping...

2 minutes ago, JAM2021 said:

Wow! This is some interesting feedback for sure. I've heard many mixed reviews as well concerning the CSU system, so I'm really rooting for you in that you've made it past the most challenging bits yet. It really does seem hit or miss with CSUs but I have to tell you after doing my research when it comes to schools like Columbia, NYU and USC, there are also a lot of love/hate relationships happening there as well. I guess my mentors are correct when they say it's really about the individual and what they take from any given program - what they make of themselves - that really matters. Here's to hoping...

Yeah...I guess being that I am not an undergrad with a fresh set of eyes for grad school, I am a bit jaded as well - and I've already been through the system...I have read some mixed stuff about the NY and private schools in general...honestly, the collegiate system is a mess since it isn't socialized and it's so incredibly competitive. I am still dealing with high anxiety (probably it's obvious as I inundate this thread) regarding not knowing about SDSU still, after 4 and a half months since applying and trying to communicate fruitlessly with their terse staff. So, yeah, I probably have PTSD just from this application cycle alone. Thanks for the support and I don't know if there is a perfect school for you, so I guess my advice is take what you can when you can if it's good enough...might be bad advice but that's where I am at.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say, it depends....

Cal States, UCLA, and USC all have great reputations in the LA and So Cal area. I will say that UCLA and USC have recognition outside of the region - does that matter? It’s debatable.

Private schools sometimes have the option to offer better funding. 

Scholarships + stipends + networking *could* make USC or UCLA (because the UCs are getting more expensive...) comparable/competitive to the Cal State price tag.  I always think it’s worth applying and seeing what private schools offer. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021