Housing in Gottingen

mabilynch

Hi Abi,

Will you be studying via a University? I would first check to see if they have housing on campus, as this would be your best and cheapest route. The units typically come furnished and you don't have to pay for utilities. As they are subsidized by the German government, however, they are constantly in high demand. You'll have to really push the button to get a spot.

More traditional means would see you venture over toward:

http://www.wg-gesucht.de/

For instance, which serves as a hub for people looking for roommates or to get out of their lease for whatever amount of time. There are thousands of sites like it, but that's a good starting point should you need to utilize it.

Hope I provided assistance.

I'd second wg-gesucht.de as well as studenten-wg.de -- it's the only way I've ever looked for apartments in Germany (and I've been in five apartment in the five years I've been here). It's the way to go. And, having looked into relocating to Gottingen for a job, I can tell you that there are some really reasonably (if not cheaply) priced shared apartments (WGs) right in the heart of town, which is the main Uni district. Good luck!

i lived in three different flats in goettingen and would be happy to offer tips on specific places. I'd stay away from places near the train station - although the rent is cheap, i had very noisy neighbors and lots of problems there. My single room with a kitchen at Studentenwohnheim Albrecht-Thaer-Weg was really nice, clean, quiet, affordable and just a few minute bike ride from the uni sports complex, for which a membership is like 5 EUR/month. I've also used wg gesucht, but found my ATW sublet through the university appt search website here: http://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/61916.html

feel free to ask any more question about goettingen! i loved my time there!