Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Fulbright 2012-2013

• Please log in to reply
3736 replies to this topic

#1 Bkid-Sapps

Bkid-Sapps

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationJapan
  • Program:International Relations

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

I've been stalking the pages of the 2011-2012 Fulbright thread for weeks and figured now was as good a time as any to start a new thread for next years applicants.

I would love to get a dialogue going with those working on their applications. Bounce around ideas and provide some encouragement when necessary. And for anyone with past experience applying for Fulbright and/or alums... please, please, please contribute your thoughts and advice! I'm sure I speak for many when I say, we could use the help.

Anyway, I've begun the exhaustive process of rough-draft after rough-draft for my research proposal. I've also started shooting off emails to professors and other contacts fishing for advice and possible affiliation. Good times!

I know everyone in the other Fulbright thread is stressing out and anxious to hear their results.... all I can say is, "Good luck, and I can't wait to be in your shoes a year from now!"

#2 crimsonengineer87

crimsonengineer87

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationBonn, Germany
  • Program:Fulbright

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:27 AM

This is awesome. Starting at early as possible is the key and chatting with current applicants as well as former applicants are both useful! Very good for being on top of things!

What do you plan on proposing (if full grant) and where do you want to go?
Attending Washington State University, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Fulbright Award to Germany (2011-12)
IGERT NSPIRE Program (2012- )

#3 Bkid-Sapps

Bkid-Sapps

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hi crimsonengineer. Thanks for jumping on board with this thread, I hope you'll be able to provide us new applicants with plenty of info seeing as you were successful in getting a grant. I know I definitely found the conversations in the previous Fulbright thread very helpful.

So I'm most likely applying for a grant to Germany. There are a few other options I'm entertaining in Europe but what I've been able to track down in Germany most aligns with my interests. I'm looking at programs in international relations and sustainable development. I'd like to continue on with the kind of work I did for my senior project in undergrad. It was a collaborative capstone in rural Nicaragua working with various sustainable technologies (PV, micro-hydro, bio-gas) to improve access to drinking water, provide electricity, and cut down on the use of the surrounding vegetation for cooking fuel. I figure with Germany's recent push toward renewable energy technologies that it would be a great place to study and research.

Here's a question for you if you don't mind, what did you end up doing for your affiliation? How were you able to track down relevant contacts? Any tips on reaching out to them while also being mindful of their busy schedules?

And pertaining to Germany specifically, are you going to matriculate into a full 2-year program?

Thanks for the help.

#4 crimsonengineer87

crimsonengineer87

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationBonn, Germany

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:12 AM

Hi crimsonengineer. Thanks for jumping on board with this thread, I hope you'll be able to provide us new applicants with plenty of info seeing as you were successful in getting a grant. I know I definitely found the conversations in the previous Fulbright thread very helpful.

So I'm most likely applying for a grant to Germany. There are a few other options I'm entertaining in Europe but what I've been able to track down in Germany most aligns with my interests. I'm looking at programs in international relations and sustainable development. I'd like to continue on with the kind of work I did for my senior project in undergrad. It was a collaborative capstone in rural Nicaragua working with various sustainable technologies (PV, micro-hydro, bio-gas) to improve access to drinking water, provide electricity, and cut down on the use of the surrounding vegetation for cooking fuel. I figure with Germany's recent push toward renewable energy technologies that it would be a great place to study and research.

Here's a question for you if you don't mind, what did you end up doing for your affiliation? How were you able to track down relevant contacts? Any tips on reaching out to them while also being mindful of their busy schedules?

And pertaining to Germany specifically, are you going to matriculate into a full 2-year program?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Bkid,

You've got some really good questions! First, I think you've got a good start with your statement of grant purpose, especially for Germany and sustainability! That's most def an important and relevant topic. Secondly, I found my affiliation by asking my advisor if she knew any contacts in Germany. Apparently her advisor, who is basically the "father in hydrology", worked with a few folks in Germany. I also did a few Google searches and looked at many German university sites. I ended up making a spreadsheet with my top 6 or 7 to email, rather than sending out mass emails. I would send our emails to my first couple and see what would happen and then continue down the list. If you need more help with that, I can send you a sample email. In terms of being mindful, short email that is able to explain everything would be nice. Then usually if the professor is interested, they will usually solicit for more info. Does that make sense?

And I'm not going to matriculate into a full 2-year program, or I don't have plans to (but plans could change). I'm currently on a PhD track for a degree in civil engineering. I decided to get a PhD here if I got the Fulbright. It's a long story, but to make it short, I felt I needed this experience b/c I'm getting all three degrees from the same institution (yikes!). So yeah.

Hmm, feel free to ask more questions! I just might be a little slow to respond since things are piling up since it's near the end of the semester! Hope I was able to help!

AND kudos for starting early in the process!

Attending Washington State University, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Fulbright Award to Germany (2011-12)
IGERT NSPIRE Program (2012- )

#5 bjs_7

bjs_7

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

I'm currently a junior engineering student in the US and I've just started to consider grad school prospects and the possibility of studying and researching abroad. Of course, this had led me to discover the Fulbright and all its possibilities. The good news is that I've already identified my country (Sweden); this is based upon my study and interest in room acoustics and not any predetermined desire to live or travel here (though it would be nice). From what I've read, the academic fit is the #1 priority for selecting a country, so I think I've already done well in this regard. Since my field is relatively small, it was easy to research possibilities and ultimately pick what would be best for me.

I'm looking for guidance/advice on what to do next. Should I start drafting my statement of purpose and research proposal or should I try to develop my affiliation? I know what university I want to go to and I have a very small friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend type of connection to a senior professor and a leader of the research department at my proposed university. I'm thinking I should try to cultivate my affiliation because I'm not 100% set on a specific research topic, but rather a broader field in general. I'm open to suggestions though.

This was written rather hastily, so let me know if you need any additional information about me.

I'm glad to have found this forum ... seems incredibly informative and helpful in general. Thanks for any help.

#6 Bkid-Sapps

Bkid-Sapps

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:09 AM

Hi bjs...
I would suggest that you work to develop both your SoP and your affiliation concurrently. That's the approach I'm taking right now. I've been sending out emails of inquiry to various contacts and bouncing around some ideas. The responses I've been receiving from these possible affiliations have helped me to better define my interest areas. At the same time, I've been writing and rewriting various components of my SoP. This process has also led me to revise my plans and/or hone in on a more specific area of interest. Since we're getting such an early start on things, I don't see why you can't develop both aspects (SoP and affiliation) at the same time.

Though I would caution, don't contact possible affiliations if you haven't really developed any sort of game-plan for your research. That would be a bit off-putting I imagine from their perspective.

Also, I've been in contact with past professors who will probably serve as my letter-of-reference writers. So far they've been my best sounding board for ideas. It helps to have their input and it demostrates to them that your serious about this work and have already put a lot of thought into it, items that can enhance the reference letters they will eventually write for you.

#7 green_tea09

green_tea09

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Program:International Education

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

Thanks BKid for starting this thread. I have always wanted to apply for a Fulbright and think this might be the year to do it -- I think I have a sound research topic stemming from my dissertation study and also some good contacts that should be able to provide letters of affiliation.

I was just looking at the online application and I am wondering if it is different from previous years? Did Fulbright change the format? It looks like a personal statement isn't required, just the proposal? Is that right, or am I missing something in the online application?

#8 green_tea09

green_tea09

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Program:International Education

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Thanks BKid for starting this thread. I have always wanted to apply for a Fulbright and think this might be the year to do it -- I think I have a sound research topic stemming from my dissertation study and also some good contacts that should be able to provide letters of affiliation.

I was just looking at the online application and I am wondering if it is different from previous years? Did Fulbright change the format? It looks like a personal statement isn't required, just the proposal? Is that right, or am I missing something in the online application?

I can't figure out how to delete my post -- but please ignore it. I was looking at the scholar grant application, not the student grant application. Ooops.

#9 bjs_7

bjs_7

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:14 AM

From the Fulbright website I was able to find a past winner (about 4 years ago) in my field who studied at my proposed university. Would I look like a crazy stalker if I try to develop some line of communication with the guy? I'm interested in his impressions of the university and faculty first and foremost. Of course, it would also be nice if he'd be willing to give me some advice on the Fulbright too. Hopefully I would be able to better gauge my affiliation's interests by speaking with a former student. What do you guys think of this plan?

#10 librophilia

librophilia

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:42 AM

From the Fulbright website I was able to find a past winner (about 4 years ago) in my field who studied at my proposed university. Would I look like a crazy stalker if I try to develop some line of communication with the guy? I'm interested in his impressions of the university and faculty first and foremost. Of course, it would also be nice if he'd be willing to give me some advice on the Fulbright too. Hopefully I would be able to better gauge my affiliation's interests by speaking with a former student. What do you guys think of this plan?

I've done this a couple times, and it worked out okay. They may be more or less open to communicating depending on their personality. Just stay polite and interesting.

#11 computerdating

computerdating

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

I have a suggestion: edit the first post to include a link to the 2011-2012 spreadsheet and the 2011-2012 thread. Both of those resources have a lot of useful information, might as well put it at the top.

#12 eaboo316

eaboo316

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Application Season:2013 Fall
  • Program:Developmental Psychology/HDFS

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

Hello everyone! My name is Daisy, I am new to the forum here and it's nice to meet all of you! I look forward to interacting with everyone.

I am planning to apply for full grant in South Korea for the 2012-2013 year. As of now, I am not worrying about the application too much because I still need to get through finals next week in school. However, I will spend the remainder of the summer hard at work for my proposal.

If anyone who got the full grant for South Korea last year sees this post: first, congratulations and second, it would be much appreciated if you PM or e-mail me because I have some questions about securing an affiliation - I'm not too sure how to go about that. If anyone else has any tips, please let me know. :)

Applied: 10 schools

Interviewed: 1/10

Waitlisted: 1/10

Rejected: 6/10

Accepted: 3/10

Attending: Stanford University (Developmental and Psychological Sciences PhD)

#13 oh_no

oh_no

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Program:MAT English

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

Hi all! First-time poster and Fulbright hopeful here.

I plan on applying for an ETA in Spain but I've been looking at the data and spreadsheets from last year and it looks like the majority of those selected are students right out of undergrad. I'm in an MAT/English program at a state university and I have a few years of professional editorial work under my belt. Might I be not be an ideal candidate? Until recently the candidate profile on the website stated preference for future teachers of English and Spanish or those going into international education (I fall under two of the three), but now it just says "Graduating seniors and recent graduates with the initiative and flexibility needed to assistant-teach in high schools are encouraged to apply."

Do you think I'd be better applying for a ETA position in a different country or region?

#14 Espanya2013

Espanya2013

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:13 AM

Hello all,

Spain research applicant here. I've started the application process, and followed he previous year threads as well. Good luck to everyone!

#15 gellert

gellert

Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Application Season:2014 Fall

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

Hey all!

Planning to apply to full grant in Germany. My field of study is psychology, though I prefer psychophysiological methods. I've found several professors in Germany that I'd love to work with, whose interests are very much aligned with my own. Right now I'm still trying to work out a research project idea, but I'm interested in cultural differences regarding psychopathy, aggression, and emotion dysregulation.

Good luck to everyone. :)

#16 spinnergal

spinnergal

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Program:Anthropology

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

So, as some of you probably know, the 2011 round of Fulbright Hays awards was cancelled this year due to budget cuts. Has anyone heard anything about the IIE (or the Hays) funding status for this coming year?

#17 Zahar Berkut

Zahar Berkut

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Application Season:2014 Fall
  • Program:Political Science

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

The director of my country's program told me the grants were reduced for the incoming cohort slightly. Have not heard anything about the coming year yet.

So, as some of you probably know, the 2011 round of Fulbright Hays awards was cancelled this year due to budget cuts. Has anyone heard anything about the IIE (or the Hays) funding status for this coming year?

2014 cycle over. 2015 has a nicer ring to it anyhow.

#18 terrae_caeli

terrae_caeli

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSeogwipo City, South Korea
  • Application Season:2013 Fall
  • Program:English Ph.D

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

Hello!

I'm a first time poster and applicant for the ETA program in Spain -- for the region of Cantabria, specifically! Posted Image

Good luck to everyone! I look forward to interacting with all of you on this board!

#19 clpatra2

clpatra2

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA
  • Program:Drexel University MS (LIS)

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hi!

My name is Chris and I am applying for the Full Grant to The Netherlands this year. This fall, I will be a 1st year grad student at Drexel University. My field of study for the Fulbright is interdisciplinary, but leans towards Anthropology. I'm wondering if there are any people on the site that have been through the application process before, as I have some questions about doing a field of study that is not in my graduate program (My 5 second autobiography, I was an Anthropology major in undergrad with a minor in Political Science).

Good luck to everyone!

#20 why you no me donkey?

why you no me donkey?

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

I am going to be applying to Australia or Switzerland. From my understanding, we have to have a solid proposal. Does anyone have any advice for this part?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users