Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Congratulations to all of the recent acceptances!! I am so happy for you guys. My condolences to those who were rejected. You can always apply again like I did as well as others on this thread. Alternates, hang in there!

I am currently completing all the paper work required to officially accept the grant and the wait, maybe not so much the slight agony, was worth it.

Also, I am currently updating the spreadsheet - please list the type of grant when you post (Full or ETA) your info. I had to leave some cells blank since I do not know your grant type and I do not want to guess.

Thank you. :-)

Edited by redArcher

Hi everyone. I just got an e-mail from Rachel Holskin (the e-mail came in at 6:11 p.m. est). I was awarded a full grant to Ukraine!!!!

The subject line of the e-mail said Fulbright Application Status (PR).

Got the email from Rachel at 5:52 PM- subject: "Fulbright Application Status (ALT)" - Kosovo ETA Alternate :( There's only one spot, so it's highly unlikely that this one person will not accept the offer but who knows! This forum has been really awesome and I wish all of you the best of luck!!! :)

It's interesting that those of us still waiting don't even need to open up the email to know what the results are: if we see (PR) in the subjectline, then we know we are accepted. If we see (ALT), we know we are alternates, and if we see nothing, I guess that means we are rejected. Or am I wrong? Have all email subjectlines included this info?

It's interesting that those of us still waiting don't even need to open up the email to know what the results are: if we see (PR) in the subjectline, then we know we are accepted. If we see (ALT), we know we are alternates, and if we see nothing, I guess that means we are rejected. Or am I wrong? Have all email subjectlines included this info?

I think someone got NS and that was the abbreviation for non-selected, but i dont remember the earlier email subjects having this... but now we won't even have time to brace ourselves lol

"Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a US Student Fulbright award for 2012-2013 to Belarus. Shortly you will receive a letter from the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board"

YAY! Congrats to all Ukraine, Eastern Europe, Balkans, etc!

Woo!

Oh thank you! When I first read your post, of course I flipped out wondering why I hadn't found out yet! Then I realized you are a current grantee... Hehe. :unsure::blink:

To all of guys still waiting to find out if you were accepted to Morocco, I wish you the best of luck.

Kevin

A current Fulbright Morocco grantee

Hey China finalists:

1. Did anyone else get the impression that we were supposed to get a physical exam before hearing our final status? I went ahead and got the exam (had to do it for an earlier deadline for sthg else and my insurance only covers one per year) and then when I asked Janet in Beijing how to submit the paperwork she said you only have to get the exam if you receive a grant. Can't find whatever earlier paperwork it was that gave me this impression in the first place...am I going crazy? Hoping I didn't just buy myself a shiny new EKG and chest x-ray for nothing!

2. Full grant people: Has anyone else asked about being considered for the Chinese Government Scholarship even if we don't get the Fulbright? (Background info: China full grant operates through this program.) I asked Janet about this too, and she just said, "Ok, I'll let them know." I'm weirded out cause: -A- I was sure this was going to involve extra paperwork, etc, and -B- I also want to be considered for it separately even if I (god-willing) get a Fulbright and then am unable to accept. But I couldn't exactly say this to Janet! a-w-k-w-a-r-d...

Edit: The program converted some of my punctuation into affectively inappropriate smileys!

Edited by Kexin Renlei

It's not Hong Kong, but I got notice of my alternate status for Cambodia on April 11th. Jonathan's the contact for that but the email came from Theresa Granza. So some decisions are being made in SE Asia!

My friend was an alternate for a full to Cambodia and got promoted to principal in 2010 - then SHE didn't end up taking it (she changed her project). Good luck!!

Alternate to Ukraine ETA. The email came at 5:12 and was marked as ALT.

Bah. Worse than a denial. I'm sick of my life being on hold.

I feel the same way. So they accepted two people and made two people alternates. But the Ukraine will never get more funding and I doubt people will reject their awards, so do you just think we should consider ourselves rejected?

But the Ukraine will never get more funding and I doubt people will reject their awards, so do you just think we should consider ourselves rejected?

Personal anecdote: Last year, a friend of mine finished her Master's and was awarded a full grant to Ukraine. She turned it down to live locally and work at a small non-profit. Her reasons were interesting (not my business to list them here, but they had nothing to do with grad school, other fellowships, etc.). So I don't think alternates should give up hope!

It must be a difficult position to be in, but I believe that quite a few people will be promoted, and some already have (despite only half-ish of the grant notifications going out, and not even having reached a single deadline for principal candidates to accept / decline). Best wishes to all.

Personally, I think it's possible that Ukrainian ETAs and full research grants are probably in different boats when it comes to alternates being promoted. I've had several friends promoted up from alternate for full grants, but I tend to second UkraineETA on our chances for promotion for the ETA. It just seems to me that it would be harder to secure additional funding for an ETA since they have to also secure an additional assitantship at a university. For Full grants, the affiliation is on the recipient, not the Fulbright office. Also, Ukraine has very few spots and is notoriously bureaucratically difficult. It's also different if you're an alternate for a country with a lot of spots to fill.

That said, anything can happen and I'm not on the inside with the process of promotion. Maybe I'll be optimisitic tomorrow, but today I'm not. I'm not counting it out entirely, but I'm not hopeful. I'll let you know if anything changes.