Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

That is really strange. It appears they have even less funding than last year. I am with ukraine_eta and not being optimistic today. But maybe that means they can find room for one more of us? Who knows, but I don't really feel like waiting for them to play with my fate anymore.

Sub-Saharan Africa Folks:

I don't know when we will be hearing, so perhaps I shouldn't say anything. In any case, I tried calling and it is fairly safe to say we won't be hearing until after Jermaine Jones returns, at the earliest. I believe he is out of the country at the moment. We could hear before then, who knows (stranger things have happened, I'm sure).

Granted, I'm sure many of you have already accepted this fact I still wanted to share what I could find.

Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of your week and have a good weekend without too much anxiety! Good luck to you all!

Sub-Saharan Africa Folks:

I don't know when we will be hearing, so perhaps I shouldn't say anything. In any case, I tried calling and it is fairly safe to say we won't be hearing until after Jermaine Jones returns, at the earliest. I believe he is out of the country at the moment. We could hear before then, who knows (stranger things have happened, I'm sure).

Granted, I'm sure many of you have already accepted this fact I still wanted to share what I could find.

Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of your week and have a good weekend without too much anxiety! Good luck to you all!

Thanks! Graduation is on April 28 and I leave the country April 30...so it would be nice to hear before then :-/

THANKS ANYHOW! :)

Thanks! Graduation is on April 28 and I leave the country April 30...so it would be nice to hear before then :-/

This is definitely a delay from previous years. Last year we had news by this date. Oh well, what's another few days of being extra productive in an effort to avoid stressing out about future plans.

I'm thinking and hoping we will hear back next week. Another post said he'll be back in Friday...but the office is saying he'll be back in on Monday.

Actually, I was told to send him an email and that he might have some sort of helpful information or new piece of information. Considering I spoke with him two weeks ago via email, I don't think I'm going to email him again. The tension I was feeling about this week is pretty much gone (hey, believe it or not, lol)--and I really enjoy the feeling of not being completely consumed by uncertainty.

Who knows, maybe they are going to shoot them out all day on Friday.

At this point for me, a 'yes' is less important than just knowing something one way or the other.

Rachel said we would know by this week, early on too.. anyone know Eastern Europe updates?

I am a recommended candidate for Macedonia...

*sigh* I wish there was a limit of how many times a day one can refresh their email

Hey Turkey ETA candidates.

I'm currently an ETA in Turkey, and have some information you might like. The way the process works is that the Turkish FB comission selects the people they want from the applications that were forwarded to them from Rachel and her people in the US. They forward these selections to YOK, the higher education council in Turkey. Those decisions were forwarded about 2 or 3 days ago. It is hard to know how long YOK will take, especially because they are under new leadership, but it shouldn't be all that long.

Quick tip, though, from someone who waited until June 10th for a decision. As tempting as it is to e-mail Rachel and Secil, it really doesn't help. The matter is out of their hands now. Also, whatever you do, don't try to get in touch with YOK. Pushing Turkish government people makes them move slower. It's something you'll learn to appreciate and love when you live here, but I know for now it is extremely frustrating.

Anyway, good luck to you all. It shouldn't be much longer, and it's certainly going to be better than last year. Like I said, June 10th was our date. Made graduation somewhat awkward and terrifying.

I love how we are all doing this dance of "I've got a good feeling about tomorrow... or maybe the next day." Then, as the days tick of, we say, "okay, last week didn't pan out- so, it's gotta be this week." Around and around we go.

Perhaps, especially for us Caribbean/Central America and Sub-Saharan Africa folks, this is preparation for when we are actually in our countries. A sort-of stripping of the American ego and sense of immediacy and urgency. I'm trying to consider this a prep-course in "Tico-time." I'm hoping that this time next year, I will be laughing at my old impatient and frustrated self.

I say this after refreshing my email so many times today that my co-workers have started saying, "Reeeee-Fresh!!!" every time I look at my phone.

I love how we are all doing this dance of "I've got a good feeling about tomorrow... or maybe the next day." Then, as the days tick of, we say, "okay, last week didn't pan out- so, it's gotta be this week." Around and around we go.

Perhaps, especially for us Caribbean/Central America and Sub-Saharan Africa folks, this is preparation for when we are actually in our countries. A sort-of stripping of the American ego and sense of immediacy and urgency. I'm trying to consider this a prep-course in "Tico-time." I'm hoping that this time next year, I will be laughing at my old impatient and frustrated self.

I say this after refreshing my email so many times today that my co-workers have started saying, "Reeeee-Fresh!!!" every time I look at my phone.

Agreed. Ha, but I still can't help thinking "It seems like a lot of notifications go out on Thursday..." I need to stop. now. really.

I'm currently an ETA in Turkey, and have some information you might like. The way the process works is that the Turkish FB comission selects the people they want from the applications that were forwarded to them from Rachel and her people in the US. They forward these selections to YOK, the higher education council in Turkey. Those decisions were forwarded about 2 or 3 days ago. It is hard to know how long YOK will take, especially because they are under new leadership, but it shouldn't be all that long.

Quick tip, though, from someone who waited until June 10th for a decision. As tempting as it is to e-mail Rachel and Secil, it really doesn't help. The matter is out of their hands now. Also, whatever you do, don't try to get in touch with YOK. Pushing Turkish government people makes them move slower. It's something you'll learn to appreciate and love when you live here, but I know for now it is extremely frustrating.

Anyway, good luck to you all. It shouldn't be much longer, and it's certainly going to be better than last year. Like I said, June 10th was our date. Made graduation somewhat awkward and terrifying.

thannnnks!! its so good to know that things are actually progressing... i always picture our applications under a stack of papers lol

You are so right! It is definitely preparing us to control our "instant gratification" behaviors.

LOL at "Reeeee-Fresh!!!" This is soo me.

Edited by orlanac21

Rachel said we would know by this week, early on too.. anyone know Eastern Europe updates?

I am a recommended candidate for Macedonia...

*sigh* I wish there was a limit of how many times a day one can refresh their email

I'm still waiting to hear from Bosnia! I freaked out yesterday when I saw so many Balkans people got notifications. I'm having so much trouble being patient right now. It has to be soon, though, right? That's what I keep telling myself.

For the spreadsheet, so that next year's applicants don't have to suffer like I did thinking that notification would come in late March:

Crotia ETA, Accepted on April 18

To everyone still waiting, I wish you the best of luck with Fulbright and everything else you do! We should all feel extremely proud of ourselves for being named finalists and for keeping our sanity through this insanely long process ;)

Do you know if the applications arrive in Turkey ranked by the Americans? Thanks!!

Macedonia ALT.... sad day.

did anyone else get a weird ALT letter? mine didn't say which alternate i was, can someone help me out, and maybe we can compare? Best of luck to everyone, ALT-ers, its still cool that we got this far!

Macedonia ALT.... sad day.

did anyone else get a weird ALT letter? mine didn't say which alternate i was, can someone help me out, and maybe we can compare? Best of luck to everyone, ALT-ers, its still cool that we got this far!

What do you mean it didn't say what alternate you are?