Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

To give people hope if anyone still comes here:

I just received an email this morning notifying me that I have been promoted from Alternate and have been offered a Fulbright Grant to India!

(and for anyone who wants to update the spread sheet)

Good luck to anyone else still waiting!

STATUS CHANGED FROM ALTERNATE TO SELECTED for India Research Grant. Please add to spreadsheet. Thank you Fulbright!

Congrats to both of you! That's awesome. And I've updated the sheet to reflect your promotions. :)

Congrats everyone who's been promoted from Alternate to Accepted! Any news from anyone regarding alternates for Spain ETAs? They said best chance of hearing back would be May and June and then significantly diminish following June, right?! :(

There's more than 2 months (67 days) between their original notifications and the promotion. I'm still crossing my fingers for June.

Edited by Biz

Alternate for Germany ETA. Just received a (short) email from Theresa Granza saying that the Fulbright Commission had asked her to find out if I'm still interested in the grant and to let her know by tomorrow morning. Given that when they told me I was an alternate, they said I would not hear from them unless I was being promoted...I can only assume that this means they want to offer me the grant.

I'm freaking out, though. Germany was my first choice, but since I was not selected, I accepted the Austria USTA and have been proceeding with that. Bought my airplane ticket, sent in a deposit, completed health forms, have begun my apartment hunt...

Now I don't know what to do!

Alternate for Germany ETA. Just received a (short) email from Theresa Granza saying that the Fulbright Commission had asked her to find out if I'm still interested in the grant and to let her know by tomorrow morning. Given that when they told me I was an alternate, they said I would not hear from them unless I was being promoted...I can only assume that this means they want to offer me the grant.

It's possible they might be looking to fill other positions in other countries by the way. I think this happened with Malaysia couple years ago, when they significantly increased their ETA grant amounts. A heap of people who had been rejected/took themselves off the alternate list were contacted to fill those positions, but people who still wanted to remain on the alternate list for their country of application weren't contacted or something like that.

It's possible they might be looking to fill other positions in other countries by the way. I think this happened with Malaysia couple years ago, when they significantly increased their ETA grant amounts. A heap of people who had been rejected/took themselves off the alternate list were contacted to fill those positions, but people who still wanted to remain on the alternate list for their country of application weren't contacted or something like that.

She replied asking if I can accept the ETA grant (to Germany). I've accepted the USTA Austria but had NOT taken myself off the Germany alternates list. Now I don't know what to do!

Ok, for the spreadsheet

Promoted from alternate to selected for Germany ETA. However I will not be accepting the grant--have decided to stick with Austria. good luck to any Germany alternates waiting to hear--hopefully you will get it!

Congratulations to those of you who have been promoted thus far! That is such wonderful news and I hope we can keep hearing back. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Morocco.

I'm sort of keeping my fingers crossed, too. I received a fellowship for Palestine which I am really excited about, but I know that if I received the Fulbright I would immediately take that... Even though I've never been to Palestine and it would be such a cool, new experience, Fulbright probably trumps all. IDKKKKKKKKKK. But according to the spreadsheet, there are quite a few alternates for the Full Grant so I really doubt I'm going to hear anything :)

Update! I was an ALT for Macedonia-- they got the funding and I am now A PRINCIPLE!!!!!!!!!! Macedonia Accepted 2012-2013.

Congrats!

Did they volunteer the info that they got more funding? Or did you ask?

And for the sheet, what day were you notified?

I'm sort of keeping my fingers crossed, too. I received a fellowship for Palestine which I am really excited about, but I know that if I received the Fulbright I would immediately take that... Even though I've never been to Palestine and it would be such a cool, new experience, Fulbright probably trumps all. IDKKKKKKKKKK. But according to the spreadsheet, there are quite a few alternates for the Full Grant so I really doubt I'm going to hear anything :)

Congratulations to those of you who have been promoted thus far! That is such wonderful news and I hope we can keep hearing back. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Morocco.

Just a heads up. I posted this on the 2013 page.

Stats for Morocco (Full grants) have gone down. Theres even one less than the 12 thats posted as available for 2011-2012. They used to fund much more there.

11 full grants accepted (2011-2012)

(12 available)

2009- 16 Full grants Accepted

(2008 says 12 available)

2008- 21 Full grants Accepted

(2007 says 12 available)

2007- 15 Full grants accepted

(2006 says 9 available)

Morocco and Jordan saw a drop from the posted amount of grants. Other countries saw growth.

Info from 2011-2012

fdBzE.png

Edited by zxcvbnm

EDIT: Alternate to accepted for Italy!!! I'm still waiting on the official email but I'm going to assume that Rachel's word over the phone makes it official enough.

ITALY: I'm not sure if any of you guys still come here but I just missed a call from Rachel (the worst time to be away from my phone ever!) and I'm waiting to hear back. Of course by the time I saw the call she was on her lunch break. Since they said they wouldn't contact us (alternates) unless our status changed... I'm not leaving my phone until I hear back from her. Anyone else hear anything? Can anyone fast forward through time until I know?

And I was just thinking last night that I should check the spreadsheet to see if there had been any activity...

Edited by CaroEllen

Update. I was promoted from Alternate for Ukraine's ETA to Primary for Latvia's ETA. :D Below is the initial email from Rachel on Friday:

"To follow-up on our conversation: we are hoping to expand the English Teaching Assistant program in Latvia with 2 grantees in the 2012-13 year. As the competition was not open for ETA candidates, we have reviewed the applications of several alternate ETA candidates in the region, including your original application to Ukraine. Based on your linguistic background and academic experience, future objectives and commitment to the program, we would like to ascertain your interest and availability in being considered for one of these ETA grants to Latvia. While the Embassy has already reviewed your application, we would also like to ask that you compose a brief revised statement of purpose to reflect your interest in and ability to teach in Latvia. It’s likely that your placement would be in a Russian-speaking environment, either in Daugavpils or Rezekne, so this is something you may want to consider in making a decision."

I redid my statement of purpose and got the official email today. So, pending medical clearance, et.al., I'll be going to Latvia. It's all rather shocking. When I asked Rachel about how common it is for this to happen, she replied "In my position in the past few years, I do this fairly regularly; we’ve opened about 6 new programs, so while not incredibly common, it does happen!"

That is all. If you have any contacts in Latvia, let me know. Moving across the world so quickly is a bit daunting!

Update. I was promoted from Alternate to principle for JAMAICA... Was notified of alternate status on May 9th......Just the call then email today of my promotion.... Public Health research.

Congratulations to all those who got promoted!

Just wondering if anyone from the SE Asia region (Cambodia, Laos, Hong Kong, Vietnam, etc.) has been promoted? I'm holding out hope believing that they just haven't gotten around to this region yet. Wishful thinking perhaps, but trying to stay positive.

And good luck to all those still waiting!

Hey everyone, I guess I'll delurk for a moment to say that I'd love to get in touch with people headed to Central America in the fall. I'm a current Fulbright student in Central America and will be staying here through December so it'd be great to get to know some folks headed this way. Feel free to PM me.

Felicitaciones a todos!

Hi all!

I am currently applying for an ETA in South America (yikes!) and I find this thread to be super helpful. I was wondering if anyone who was either a finalist or an accepted Fulbrighter would be willing to share their essays with me? It always helps to get an idea of what a winning essay looks like, so I might know how to structure mine more appropriately. Anyone who applied to a country in South America would be extra helpful!

Thanks!