Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Anybody else apply for Turkey, Full Grant or ETA?

Futurelawyerchick -- what's that about December? Is that only for Switzerland? You're giving me heart palpitations here. ;)

Good luck, y'all!

Dan

P.S. If you applied for Turkey -- do you know any Turkish?

haha I know what you mean. I had the same reaction. It was on the country profile for Switzerland on the Fulbright website. It seems as though they recently updated it to say that or maybe I just missed it before. But there were definitely some additions to what was written before, so you might want to check the country profile for Turkey, just in case? Hope this helps!

Hey,

I'm signing up for Winter Quarter courses...debating whether or not to take a Spanish class in prep for the Fulbright to Spain or just plug along in my program. Anyone else making changes/choices in prep for winning? Are you guys assuming (secretly) that you will or that you won't get it? I suppose taking more Spanish won't hurt my career regardless of whether or not I win in this round...

Anybody else apply for Turkey, Full Grant or ETA?

Futurelawyerchick -- what's that about December? Is that only for Switzerland? You're giving me heart palpitations here. ;)

Good luck, y'all!

Dan

P.S. If you applied for Turkey -- do you know any Turkish?

i applied for an ETA in Turkey, but I don't speak Turkish. I have been practicing a little conversational Turkish though. What about you?

Hey oa0176, thanks for the reply. I applied for a full (social science/poli sci-type field). My Turkish is pretty decent for newspapers, etc, but definitely not fluent. And for what it's worth, I've met several ETAs to Turkey who didn't even know "Merhaba" when they got there. Pimsleur's Turkish was good for the basics, I remember. Iyi sanslar!

Dan

hey, anyone know how much they weigh the campus interviews? mine went really well. i'm applying for an ETA to portugal and i'm confident about my essays. the only thing that concerns me is my project is really vague. they kinda said it should be, because we have no idea where we will be placed. i hope that doesn't hurt me. i just really alluded to volunteer work as a way to integrate myself into the community and that volunteer work would depend upon the needs of the community in which i was placed.

@Delikanli88-- thanks! Iyi sanslar to you too!

@lorenalareina-- I have no idea how much the campus interview is weighed, maybe someone else can chime in with their opinions on that. Also, I know what you mean about vague projects. I think mine was a little vague also, I was afraid that being too specific would make me seem inflexible.

We may never know what they look for, I am just hoping for the best (most of the time lol)

Hi All:

Has anyone else applied for a Fulbright full grant to Italy? I applied at large to Sicily in the category of creative writing. My proposal would focus on community-based research/oral histories/documentation of the last generation of sulfur miners in Valguarnera (Enna), many of whom worked in the mines as children. I plan to incorporate this research into a novel I'm writing. I hold an MFA from NYU and am conversational in Italian. I also currently study Sicilian. This wait is certainly killing me. Two more months....

Thanks for the info OliviaKate.... that's what I thought! Was confused by everyone saying about the waiting with the two more months, etc. I'll be counting down until April not January....... with the continuing deficit issues I am horribly worried about State Department funding cuts..... (not to make everyone panic, but there is a lot of bad news going around that I didn't see mentioned here) Just one article I could find quickly: http://www.thehoya.com/news/fulbright-funding-could-decrease-1.2687838#.TtMmtkpivUk .... I heard it from my Fulbright rep first. This article from Georgetown says the next info from the House about funding will be known in 6-7 weeks (and the article was three weeks ago)

Anyway, I applied for a creative Fulbright to Iceland! I read about your idea for a creative one to Italy, and it sounds fabulous. I was just there last winter at a residency.

Thanks for the info OliviaKate.... that's what I thought! Was confused by everyone saying about the waiting with the two more months, etc. I'll be counting down until April not January....... with the continuing deficit issues I am horribly worried about State Department funding cuts..... (not to make everyone panic, but there is a lot of bad news going around that I didn't see mentioned here) Just one article I could find quickly: http://www.thehoya.c...38#.TtMmtkpivUk .... I heard it from my Fulbright rep first. This article from Georgetown says the next info from the House about funding will be known in 6-7 weeks (and the article was three weeks ago)

Anyway, I applied for a creative Fulbright to Iceland! I read about your idea for a creative one to Italy, and it sounds fabulous. I was just there last winter at a residency.

I knew there were budget cuts especially targeted at education programs but didn't know that Fulbright would be a victim. Not only is that so sad but it also makes me very angry. It seems as though the government is severely limiting options for students...No jobs and now less scholarship money? Anyways, I did some research and found this "Take Action" thing where you can send a letter to your state representatives about the Fulbright budget cuts and urge them not too. Don't know how effective it can be but anything helps right?

http://capwiz.com/fulbright/issues/alert/?alertid=54495531

Thanks for the great info, Futurelawyerchick and Withoutpictures... these are really scary times, and I do hope the gov. thinks twice before cutting Fulbright funding. It would be devastating to countless people, not to mention crush both academic and artistic research alike.

Withoutpictures, thanks for sharing your info and support! I do hope you get the Fulbright to Iceland in spite of all of the potential cutbacks... Where did you do your residency in Italy? Was it for creative writing? Painting, etc?

Good luck to everyone posting and reading this site. God knows we're all going to need it.

I have zero interest in Germany, regardless of how well off they are and continue to be. There's a lot of work that needs to be done in Italy, especially in Sicily, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to help, however slim the chances may be. Let's keep the negativity to a minimum. Thanks.

No need to be so chippy...anyways, I'm sure you are correct OliviaKate84. The number of grants available for 2012-2013 were posted months ago and are probably based on a budget already passed last year, otherwise they would not have increased or decreased the number in certain countries. For instance, the number of full grants in France rose from 20 to 23, (likely) based on the available budget and not a projected budget.