Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Oh my gosh I just found out I got a Fulbright ETA to Korea!!!! I honestly cannot believe it!!! No one from my school has ever gotten anything like this. I applied thinking that I didn't even have a chance and now this is reality! Totally has not sunk in at all yet. Congratulations to all who received the good news today (especially us Korea folk!!!) and my sincere condolences to those who did not make it this time.

I can't believe I'll be spending next year in Korea teaching English with Fulbright!!!!!

Congrats to all have heard back so far!

even for those who didn't make it... at least you are no longer on pins and needles.

anyone else anxiously waiting to hear back from Spain and hoping this week is it? Last year I think notifications when out early-mid April, but I'm not sure about years previous to that.

Si! Trying to keep myself occupied and not get hopes up...

Belafish, I called up to see what the deal is. Rachel was in a meeting, but some really nice guy said that the hold-up was on Russia's end. Said we should be hearing in the next two weeks, 'hopefully sooner'. Hope that helps!

Thanks, Pelevinfan!

I am just wondering what goes on at these FSB meetings...They are probably more mundane than I imagine.

Belafish, I called up to see what the deal is. Rachel was in a meeting, but some really nice guy said that the hold-up was on Russia's end. Said we should be hearing in the next two weeks, 'hopefully sooner'. Hope that helps!

Many thanks for calling! Good to know, though I doubt it will stop me from obsessively refreshing my email in the mean time.

And who in this forum is still waiting?

All Chinese-ish countries are still waiting: Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau.....*le sigh*

Congrats to everyone, I'm loving all the exuberance and gratitude on the boards today!

Maybe they were only informed about a proportion of applicants? There were 280... but I would hope they would just inform everyone at once.

Yeah but if it was a portion overall don't you think there'd have been at least one acceptance? I mean, there are a good number

of us here, right??

Germany ETAs, what do you guys think the hold-up is? It seems odd that some rejection and alternate emails went out yesterday, but nobody else has heard anything.

They might still be debating between candidates as they trim down the list.

17242385.jpg

hahaha this is how I feel, and it's so ridiculous because I know Turkey applicants are probably going to be the last to be notified. But i cant help but check my email with all the commotion on here.

Germany ETAs, what do you guys think the hold-up is? It seems odd that some rejection and alternate emails went out yesterday, but nobody else has heard anything.

They might still be debating between candidates as they trim down the list.

I would think they have all their decisions made by now. It would not be fair to just trim the list as they go and do it on a rolling basis. Maybe they are waiting for final budget approval to determine the exact number of acceptances and some more might have to become alternates.

Or maybe they are still sending Germany acceptances by mail only? Or they forgot to press "send"? Or they just want to torture us? They like seeing us in agony and feeling sick as we obsessively refresh our E-mails? Just throwing some ideas out there ;)

I honestly cannot do anything without thinking about Fulbright. I constantly wonder if the E-mail will be there the next time I log into my E-mail or press refresh.

Update: nose goes, *not calling*

FSB/IIE, Sagen Sie uns bescheid...bitte!

Edited by KMJE89

Longtime lurker finally joined because I want to commiserate with all of the Germany ETA Leute!

They must tell us tomorrow - I don't think I can wait much longer!

Also - nose goes; I'm not calling! :D

Did she seem annoyed that you called, or was she quite pleasant about it all? I don't want to be a bother, but I'm tempted to call because my husband has to give notice to his school by April 15 on whether or not he will be coming back to teach next year (which hinges on whether I get the Fulbright or not), and the lack of timeline is stressful for both of us.

jeb266-Well, I called exactly at 9am EST, briefly introduced myself (name, school, country) and why I was calling. Without hesitation or any trivial "niceties," she simply said, "Mid to Late April." Those were literally her only words. I don't know her personally (and how she usually is on the phone), but based on my general impression she seemed annoyed. But then again I'm just generalizing based on my experience with talking on phones these last twenty-odd years:-)

Waiting to hear back on a Full grant to Poland.....

I knew I should never have started reading this forum.... it has increased my paranoia tenfold. I have a question that is now nagging me.... My host letter is from a professor at a university on university letterhead. I asked my FPA if I needed to contact the university itself and set something up since the Fulbright country summary states that "Candidates for research must have a formal institutional affiliation, and may be required to attend classes." He explained that since I'm not applying for a program at the university and am doing research in a humanities field, it means that I'm pretty much on my own and wouldn't really need it (i.e. Don't worry about it). Since I got the recommendation e-mail, I've become increasingly paranoid that they would reject me because I've only made contact with a professor at the university and not contacted the university itself for some support.

Am I just paranoid, or should I be worried to some extent?

Congratulations to everyone who has heard back so far. Whether you made it or not, you made it through a lot of hurdles.

Still waiting on an ETA to Poland. There's never been a Fulbright winner at my school and with the S. Korea decisions, the other student who applied was rejected. I'm the last hope this year. And getting N-E-R-V-O-U-S!

hahaha this is how I feel, and it's so ridiculous because I know Turkey applicants are probably going to be the last to be notified. But i cant help but check my email with all the commotion on here.

I feel the same way! I am constantly checking my e-mail. I just keep thinking what a great feeling it's going to be when I see that e-mail in my inbox. At this point, I don't even care what it says, I just want to know. It's kind of strange how I was all fanatical and obsessed with the everything Fulbright related and now I'm in a "I just want this to be over" phase. Hmmm.....

I feel the same way! I am constantly checking my e-mail. I just keep thinking what a great feeling it's going to be when I see that e-mail in my inbox. At this point, I don't even care what it says, I just want to know. It's kind of strange how I was all fanatical and obsessed with the everything Fulbright related and now I'm in a "I just want this to be over" phase. Hmmm.....

lol yea I am in a similar phase. I just want to move forward.

Congrats!! If you don't mind sharing a bit, what is the focus of your project?

Sure thing!

My grant is focused on cultural and social stigmas regarding mental healthcare and its subsequent effect on Korea's suicide epidemic.