Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

I think since there are so many of us, someone should start a Facebook group for Germany ETA 2012-2013. Or maybe there's one out there that I just haven't found?

I cannot create a group with just myself...so if you message me on here I can add you on Facebook, then we can start a group.

If the Germany ETA's leave, this forum will become such a comparatively quiet place...

;)

I'm here... representing Portugal!! ;)

I'm on GradCafe while at work... again.

I'm super excited/happy for all of you that have heard thus far, Congrats!

and...

For those of you who continue to wait (alternate) or rejected... everything happens for a reason!

<3

So has anyone been able to assess whether notifications are generally coming early or late relative to last year's dates? The new e-mail system had me hopeful for a quicker turnaround time, but I'm not sure whether that's proving to be the case or not.

Anyone else waiting on Japan? They seemed to normally get word out in March, but sent notifications in late April last year. I thought maybe things were very understandably hectic with the earthquake last year, and they would back to the March schedule this year, but this might not be the case...

Anyways back to reading tea leaves...

I'm waiting to hear from Japan too for a full grant. I however, am like everyone else here, and am completely in the dark about the decision process and schedule. I saw that all three grants to Japan on this forum for the year 2011-12 were postmarked around April 26th, and received the 29th, but I don't know it that is standard process. I was told by a past grantee to Japan to expect in late March. So with no concrete indications, there's nothing to do but to keep refreshing my e-mail.

I emailed Rachel about my application to Finland. I explained that I have to notify my graduate program of whether or not I will be attending, so I asked if I could have some notification about my status.

She said that emails will be sent by the end of this week. I assume she was speaking specifically to Finland, as I mentioned that is where I had applied. This probably doesn't help anyone here, but I figured I'd share it anyway. B)

Just got the good news: accepted to ETA in France!

Best of luck to you all, and I'm truly sorry for those who didn't get good news.

I can't say I'll be checking this forum anymore but, if any other France people would like to get in touch: amir.a.farhadi@gmail.com

I received my acceptance email for Germany ETA from Theresa at IIE this morning! Congratulations to everyone else who will be teaching in Germany next year :)

Does anyone know when we'll find out where we're being placed? I'm kind of foggy on the whole process.

Hello again MFIH, nice to see you over here, too.

I think you're right, the delayed response from Japan last year was completely understandable.

For every other year that appears on the spreadsheets here, the notifications were in March.

So maybe in the next few days????

Hey ACO, nice to e-meet you :)

I've heard the same thing re: Andorra waiting on Spain, and yet when I look at the past notification dates they don't seem to line up, so I have no idea what all that's about. Seems like another example of the Fulbright inexplicable non-transparent mystery process.

I found a blog of a current Andorra ETA and found it pretty scary. She is a full classroom teacher for 12-13 year olds, i.e. in a middle school. Perhaps this is my fault but I didn't realize that when the Fulbright website said "secondary school" that this could mean 12-13 year olds that make penis jokes and refuse to speak English. I have NO teaching experience of this kind, AT ALL.

Also, people just generally think I am weird for choosing Andorra, have you run into this?

Bona sort back atcha and let's hope for good news sometime soon!

Personally, I think it depends a lot on the school, your country, and your co-teacher. I am student teaching at a high school right now in America and you are going to find all kinds of different students in your class so it is really hard to tell what kind of students you will get. I think as long as you communicate well with your co-teacher, show the students that you genuinely care about them, and have high expectations for them, you will be find. Your school will also probably have a discipline/classroom management plan for you and other teachers to follow so make sure to be familiar with that!

I hope this helps ease some of your anxiety. Middle school really isn't too bad haha! :)

I was beginning to feel that our numbers would start dwindling with all of these notification but judging by the spreadsheet there are still a lot of us that are waiting to hear back. Just a little while longer and we'll all have our emails!

Countries that haven't heard:

Andorra, Argentina (full), Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bosnia, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Finland, Ghana, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgz Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mauritius, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Turkey, Ukraine, Vietnam.

Hopefully there will be a bunch more this week and next!

Edited by Biz

If anyone else is interested in knowing, I'm willing to call Rachel tomorrow to inquire into the status of the Spain ETAs. That is, unless someone already received an indication of when to be expecting notification?? Anyone?

Would you be willing to ask about whether Andorra's timeline is contingent upon or aligned with Spain's while you have her on the phone? (Totally serious. Would love to know but am too shy to call.)

If anyone else is interested in knowing, I'm willing to call Rachel tomorrow to inquire into the status of the Spain ETAs. That is, unless someone already received an indication of when to be expecting notification?? Anyone?

Would you be willing to ask about whether Andorra's timeline is contingent upon or aligned with Spain's while you have her on the phone? (Totally serious. Would love to know but am too shy to call.)

Ditto! I'd be willing (i.e. looooove) to hear how Spain's notifications relate to Andorra's...

Ditto! I'd be willing (i.e. looooove) to hear how Spain's notifications relate to Andorra's...

If you'd inquire into Spain's Full notification timeline when you call, that would be freakin' awesome too... but no pressure!

Edited by strgrl522

Also an Alternate for a Full Grant to France...

Since I've been manically refreshing this page without ever joining in for weeks, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to everyone hearing good news and thank you to everyone for making my mania feel more normal...

I wonder if we have any sense of how likely it is that a country (in my case, France), with few, if any, alternative programs to the Fulbright (like those of Germany) would ultimately admit alternates? Or how often it is that more funding appears? Especially now that many of us know we have even more waiting to do...