Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Another longtime lurker posting here - I am a finalist for a full grant to Turkey, and I just spoke with Rachel:she has no idea when we will know, but she speculates 2-3 weeks, and that they might have a better idea next week and that i could call back then to check (which I will do).

I called because I was just offered another fellowship(!!) for next year and need to make a decision soon. Rachel was very nice about it - knowing that a lot of folks are in similar positions.

And congratulations to all with good news this week! I am thrilled for all of you!!!!

Amazing....good luck to you! Please do keep us updated if you do call again next week, I am guessing that the notifications would go out at the same time for both FULL and ETA grants?

Edited by leki

I was awarded a Full Grant to Germany, but I did not receive the pre-academic language course that some Fulbrighters are granted. Does anyone know what the chances are of them reconsidering and giving me the language course too if I email Fulbright and ask? Has this happened in the past?

Has anyone heard from Austria about the USTA (teaching assistantship?) A friend of mine just heard that they got rejected... I haven't received an e-mail and I'm freaking out.

Hi Molly--I emailed Dr. Hormann (sp?) almost immediately after I heard I was an alternate for Germany, simply asking when they were expecting to send out notifications, explaining that I'm in a position where I need to decide quickly what I'm doing next year. He responded yesterday and told me that notifications will be out by "mid-April" but potentially much sooner, and they are making decisions based on a variety of factors, including location and school-type preference.

So my guess is that a) since your friend heard he was rejected, but we haven't heard yet, it's promising that we are selected or alternates, B) we will hear in the next week to two weeks, and c) that when we do hear, we will also be receiving a city/school assignment.

Does anyone know any information from past years on the USTA regarding whether applicants received school/city assignments at the same time as their selection notification?

Anyone else reading your country summary, candidate profiles, nature of assignment and comparing yourself...

I really should stop.

:|

Bahahaha. Every day I SOMEHOW end up on my country summary page.

Second, if you read the whole form, you'll see that you only have to complete Part I. Your physician (or clinic) will complete Parts II and III. You are not expected to remember every medication (ie. prescriptions, not DayQuil), doctor, hospitalization, and immunization. Your doctor's office will have all of this on file, or will know where to get it. (I have no idea when I was last immunized.) Notice at the end it said that you should have the doctor fill it out and mail it to you, so you can forward it to Fulbright -- if there's any information that they don't have, then you can go in and see the doc, although I'm sure most of us would probably have to go in for TB tests, anyway. ;) As for the rest of it, it's not asking for the lab reports or a vial of blood, especially not a pap smear! It just wants to know if everything is in working order. I actually appreciate the thoroughness of this form, because it will make me take care of any medical issues. I'm sure there are tons of Fulbrighters who've had diabetes, allergies, or (God forbid) an STD. Making arrangements to treat those conditions while abroad isn't invasive -- it's responsible for both you and the US government.

Many of the requests you seem to be taking issue with are actually filled out by the physician who is supposed to sign off on your forms. YOU will not be personally answering any questions about what medications you have taken or how many times you have been to the hospital. The physician examining you will be answering those questions based on his or her review of your medical history. The only difficult thing about this should really be figuring out which doctors you have seen in the past three years. If you saw multiple doctors within one clinic or clinic system, you should be able to request your medical records from just the clinic (i.e. they should have kept track of every dr. you saw within their clinic).

As for HIV status, I think someone else already covered that. I am not totally sure how I feel about that, although I don't have HIV or AIDS. While that probably has to do with visa regulations in other countries (which is fairly common), the requests regarding gynecological health are probably more preventative than anything. People will be going abroad for at least a year, many to places with healthcare that would not be considered up to standards in the Global North, and many on the Fulbright health insurance which is really only for emergencies and not preventative care. Many people going on Fulbright are recent undergraduates who may have only really been to health services for random colds, allergic reactions, UTIs etc. If you haven't received a pap smear or an STD screen recently, I think it's prudent, if not necessary to get all those things before going abroad for an extended period of time.

Now, things that I would certainly be quite concerned about if they were on the health forms (because why would fulbright need to know): results of any genetic testing one might have had, alcohol and drug abuse records, confidential communications with social workers, details of any domestic violence counseling, details of any sexual assault counseling or sexual assault treatment one may have had.

Ok, so two of you brought up that the second half of the form is meant to be filled out by a doctor, not myself, which I was aware of, thank you. But more importantly, that's fine and dandy, but I fail to see how this should make me feel any better. My medical information is still being sent out to people I don't want to have it. Period. I don't care who filled it out.

Second, for the record, no, I have NOT been seeing doctors in the same clinic system for the last three years. Three years ago, I was in Germany (where I will be going again, and no, last time I went I was NOT asked to share this information with the funding body). Am I supposed to somehow contact the doctor I saw there? I have no idea anymore who they are or how to contact them. So no, it's not just a matter of going to see my doctor and them filling it out. I move around a lot. That's how my life is.

Third, yes, it IS invasive. I've studied and lived abroad five times in three countries on two continents, all funded by various agencies, and never once have I been asked to share this kind of information with the scholarship committee. With my doctors there when it came up? Sure. But why with the scholarship committee?? THAT's the thing I am taking issue with. Obviously medical records need transferred and what not, but why is the scholarship committee involved with that? I can't be the only one who thinks this is strange.

Fourth, clearly, I understand it is important to ensure that I am in good health before traveling. I'm not so stupid as to think that I don't need to go get some checkups before I go, just as I regularly do because yes, I get all of my checkups regularly. Duh. BUT I DON'T WANT TO SHARE THE RESULTS WITH SOMEBODY WHO IS NOT MY DOCTOR. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Finally, all those things you listed as things you would be concerned about are definitely things that would be worrisome. What I submit to you is that the things I have noted as worrisome to me are in the same category of things you listed. I am not making a mountain out of a molehill here. I am looking for information on this forum about this because my advisor was just as disturbed about the information they are requesting as I am, and we are both contacting people to figure out if this is really how they roll. So I'm not crazy for thinking this is weird. Rather I find it highly distressing that nobody else here does. Just because it's on official Fulbright paper doesn't mean it's ok that they are asking for this information. Just sayin'.

Amazing....good luck to you! Please do keep us updated if you do call again next week, I am guessing that the notifications would go out at the same time for both FULL and ETA grants?

I have no idea if they go out at the same time, but if i do call next week, I will certainly let everyone know what Rachel has to say!

looking at the spreadsheets they've come at different times in the past two years... ugh

BUT I DON'T WANT TO SHARE THE RESULTS WITH SOMEBODY WHO IS NOT MY DOCTOR. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I agree, they are asking a lot. But, they are also giving you 800 Euros a month, so they have a right to ask for any information they see pertinent. There are certain positions and jobs in life where you'll have to disclose uncomfortable things in order to reap the benefits.

Finally, all those things you listed as things you would be concerned about are definitely things that would be worrisome. What I submit to you is that the things I have noted as worrisome to me are in the same category of things you listed. I am not making a mountain out of a molehill here. I am looking for information on this forum about this because my advisor was just as disturbed about the information they are requesting as I am, and we are both contacting people to figure out if this is really how they roll. So I'm not crazy for thinking this is weird. Rather I find it highly distressing that nobody else here does. Just because it's on official Fulbright paper doesn't mean it's ok that they are asking for this information. Just sayin'.

I think maybe it's just a perspective/experience thing? I was an exchange student in high school and had to undergo a rigorous health check, and I know for my Peace Corps application I'll have to do the same. Fulbright is a government-funded program, so thoroughness and red tape kind of comes with the deal (in my opinion).

Plus, I don't think you should assume the medical form is going to the scholarship committee for them all to sit around and talk about your pap smear results. It's probably going to a medical consultant or something, who simply lets the committee know there's nothing to worry about. Fulbright just wants you to be healthy and happy during your stay.

Am I correct in saying this, that if you're Fulbright time abroad starts in January, you cannot fill out our medicals forms or meet with a doctor prior to six months before leaving. For example, the program ETA program with Malaysia starts in January 2013, so one shouldn't have to meet with a doctor until August 2012. Just checking.

Obviously medical records need transferred and what not, but why is the scholarship committee involved with that?

Because they are coordinating your health insurance, and health insurance companies want to know these things (so they can deny your claims due to pre-existing conditions, mostly).

Am I correct in saying this, that if you're Fulbright time abroad starts in January, you cannot fill out our medicals forms or meet with a doctor prior to six months before leaving. For example, the program ETA program with Malaysia starts in January 2013, so one shouldn't have to meet with a doctor until August 2012. Just checking.

Edit - I think you're right!

Edited by boxoatoc

So my guess is that a) since your friend heard he was rejected, but we haven't heard yet, it's promising that we are selected or alternates, B) we will hear in the next week to two weeks, and c) that when we do hear, we will also be receiving a city/school assignment.

Are you sure they send out all the rejection emails out at once? I'm obsessively hitting refresh on my email, it's probably not healthy.

I agree, they are asking a lot. But, they are also giving you 800 Euros a month, so they have a right to ask for any information they see pertinent. There are certain positions and jobs in life where you'll have to disclose uncomfortable things in order to reap the benefits.

I have to disagree that just because they are giving you money, they have the right to ask anything they want. That is a logical fallacy.

And if that's the case that you have to disclose uncomfortable things in order to reap some sort of benefit, I'm not sure if the benefit is worth it to me. So there might be a full Germany grant coming available soon, for those of you who are alternates and for whom this would be a worthwhile sacrifice. Still deciding, but I don't feel good about this.

Edited by smurfgurl22

I have to disagree that just because they are giving you money, they have the right to ask anything they want. That is a logical fallacy.

And if that's the case that you have to disclose uncomfortable things in order to reap some sort of benefit, I'm not sure if the benefit is worth it to me. So there might be a full Germany grant coming available soon, for those of you who are alternates and for whom this would be a worthwhile sacrifice. Still deciding, but I don't feel good about this.

Here's what's going to happen: you talk with your doctor -> she signs some stuff -> you send it to Fulbright -> special designated Fulbright medical person looks at it -> he's like, "aight, she's good to go" -> you get an awesome grant.

Not really sure what the issue is?

Here's what's going to happen: you talk with your doctor -> she signs some stuff -> you send it to Fulbright -> special designated Fulbright medical person looks at it -> he's like, "aight, she's good to go" -> you get an awesome grant.

Not really sure what the issue is?

I have to agree. Fulbright is not going to violate HIPAA laws by sharing your medical records inappropriately, although I am sensitive to the desire to protect one's privacy.

Edited by MedievalHistory1124

Fourth, clearly, I understand it is important to ensure that I am in good health before traveling. I'm not so stupid as to think that I don't need to go get some checkups before I go, just as I regularly do because yes, I get all of my checkups regularly. Duh. BUT I DON'T WANT TO SHARE THE RESULTS WITH SOMEBODY WHO IS NOT MY DOCTOR. Why is that so difficult to understand?

First, you don't have to get snarky. Most people on here are trying to be helpful. Second, I don't think they are asking for specifics on anything that isn't checked "yes," and you can ask your doctor not to disclose specific details in their explanation that you aren't comfortable with. I'm sure if the Fulbright had more questions, they would ask for a follow up. Since they are paying for the health insurance while you are away, and since they are ultimately the host responsible for you during your stay, I'm absolutely certain that this information is for use in case of an emergency. Maybe I just watch too much House, haha, but having some kind of medical history while you are living abroad, and the Fulbright is your primary contact, isn't unreasonable. It would be irresponsible not to give the party overseeing your well-being some kind of information. And like bdoll mentioned, a lot of it probably has to do with liability, as well.

And finally, as someone else mentioned, in industrialized countries where US-comparable health care (or probably better!) is readily available, this form will likely be used in case of an emergency when foreign doctors would have trouble quickly accessing your medical history and mistakes in treatment could be more harmful than helpful. But also realize that there are a significant number of countries that have less-than-stellar services -- or some will be living in rural areas -- and the Fulbright is probably, more than anything, trying to facilitate any services, medications, or other medical needs before you arrive.

Did anyone else just get a save the date email for the pre-departure orientation/workshop while still only be a recommended (not accepted, alternate, or rejected) candidate? I saw an email from Rachel Holskin in my inbox and my heart basically stopped. It said that selected candidates would receive an official invitation to the workshop later in the spring. The subject was "Fulbright SAVE THE DATE: Pre-Departure Orientation"

Did anyone else just get a save the date email for the pre-departure orientation/workshop while still only be a recommended (not accepted, alternate, or rejected) candidate? I saw an email from Rachel Holskin in my inbox and my heart basically stopped. It said that selected candidates would receive an official invitation to the workshop later in the spring. The subject was "Fulbright SAVE THE DATE: Pre-Departure Orientation"

I did too. I don't think it means anything, though (sadly).

Edited by lg702

I did too. I don't think it means anything, though (sadly).

I figured that it probably just meant that they just set the date and wanted to notify people even though a lot of the final selections haven't gone out yet.

It just freaked me out since so many notifications have gone out this week. I really need to stop expecting news, at least for a week or two.

I figured that it probably just meant that they just set the date and wanted to notify people even though a lot of the final selections haven't gone out yet.

It just freaked me out since so many notifications have gone out this week. I really need to stop expecting news, at least for a week or two.

Haha, right?! I saw "Fulbright" and "Rachel" and was like, "DEAR GOD, WHY IS SHE EMAILING ME DIRECTLY?"