Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Dang. I didn't get an email either (Taiwan). Did anyone else is East Asia/Pacific get one?

Edit: I was trying to find this on the Fulbright website. Looks like -- after you click on each region -- there are tentative dates and a location on every region EXCEPT East Asia/Pacific (and Western Hemisphere, who maybe don't get orientations anyway). So maybe they're still working it out. But that makes me feel a little better for some reason, or at least that I'm not missing anything yet!

That is because there are no predeparture orientations for east asia/pacific except for china

Accepted for a full research grant to Sweden. I received the e-mail from Rachel this evening.

Congrats to FulbrightGah as well! And thanks for posting that you were accepted because the e-mail got put in my junk folder, and I wouldn't have checked it if I hadn't seen your post first.

Accepted for a full research grant to Sweden. I received the e-mail from Rachel this evening.

Congrats to FulbrightGah as well! And thanks for posting that you were accepted because the e-mail got put in my junk folder, and I wouldn't have checked it if I hadn't seen your post first.

Haha! Glad you found it. I'll be at Gothenburg University. email me at lauren.meiss@gmail.com if you want to stay in touch to sort out all of the predeparture information

Did not get the Save the Date email, honestly I'd like to hold out hope but that seems foolish, as Russia ETAs certainly do have a workshop. Oh well, I guess I'm lucky in that I have somewhere else to be. *sigh*

Hello everyone! I'm another big and long time "lurker" who has finally decided to formally join the fray. And for ye fellow Turkey ETA finalists, I come bearing tidings! By tidings I mean (hopefully) enlightening information. After reading about everyone getting their final decisions, and not having received anything from Fulbright, my anxiety reached critical level. So, I emailed Ms. Secil Yazicioglu, the American Programs officer in Turkey asking what the dealio is. I said "Now that other finalists are beginning to receive final decisions from their respective countries, I was wondering when finalists for Turkey could expect to hear back." She responded 3/28 saying "The selection and placement process in Turkey has not been completed yet but we will soon be able to inform you on the final decisions." In a typical Fulbright fashion, the response was just vague enough to leave room for more than multiple interpretations. But one thing is for certain. They have not yet made up their minds as to which of the finalists will be chosen. This probably means another two to three weeks of the waiting game. Hope this helps for all those Turkey finalists out there! Congratulations to all those who have made it this far and, of course, to those who have won their grants.

Hi all,

Congratulations to all applicants who have been accepted thus far.

I am arriving late to the blogosphere for post-undergrad/grad and doctoral thesis scholarships. I am a recommended Venezuelan ETA applicant. Does anyone know anything about the notification date?

Hello everyone! I'm another big and long time "lurker" who has finally decided to formally join the fray. And for ye fellow Turkey ETA finalists, I come bearing tidings! By tidings I mean (hopefully) enlightening information. After reading about everyone getting their final decisions, and not having received anything from Fulbright, my anxiety reached critical level. So, I emailed Ms. Secil Yazicioglu, the American Programs officer in Turkey asking what the dealio is. I said "Now that other finalists are beginning to receive final decisions from their respective countries, I was wondering when finalists for Turkey could expect to hear back." She responded 3/28 saying "The selection and placement process in Turkey has not been completed yet but we will soon be able to inform you on the final decisions." In a typical Fulbright fashion, the response was just vague enough to leave room for more than multiple interpretations. But one thing is for certain. They have not yet made up their minds as to which of the finalists will be chosen. This probably means another two to three weeks of the waiting game. Hope this helps for all those Turkey finalists out there! Congratulations to all those who have made it this far and, of course, to those who have won their grants.

thanks for this!

Did not get the Save the Date email, honestly I'd like to hold out hope but that seems foolish, as Russia ETAs certainly do have a workshop. Oh well, I guess I'm lucky in that I have somewhere else to be. *sigh*

Hey pelevinfan,

Just wanted to let you know I didn't get a save the date email either. I don't think either of us should read too much into this (unless other Russia applicants *did* get an email) because you never know how these emails are being sent out. From what I gather from your phone call to Rachel, Russia still hasn't made up their minds... so I doubt the US would already send out save the date emails to some Russia applicants but not others. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my end, but for whatever reason I don't feel disheartened by this.

Hey pelevinfan,

Just wanted to let you know I didn't get a save the date email either. I don't think either of us should read too much into this (unless other Russia applicants *did* get an email) because you never know how these emails are being sent out. From what I gather from your phone call to Rachel, Russia still hasn't made up their minds... so I doubt the US would already send out save the date emails to some Russia applicants but not others. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my end, but for whatever reason I don't feel disheartened by this.

"There will be in-person pre-departure orientations for the following although the final locations and dates are to be determined:  

All grantees to China

All grantees to the Middle East and North Africa, including ETAs

Only ETAs to sub-Saharan Africa and South and Central Asia

Only ETAs to the non-Commission countries of Eastern Europe"

... Are you guys sure there's a pre departure orientation for Russia grantees?

"There will be in-person pre-departure orientations for the following although the final locations and dates are to be determined:

All grantees to China

All grantees to the Middle East and North Africa, including ETAs

Only ETAs to sub-Saharan Africa and South and Central Asia

Only ETAs to the non-Commission countries of Eastern Europe"

... Are you guys sure there's a pre departure orientation for Russia grantees?

Yep, pretty sure. Also from the Fulbright website, but the country-specific page

Grant period 10 months, from September through June. Grantees may also be invited to work at English language summer camps sponsored by the U.S. Embassy in Russia in summer 2013. In addition, all grantees are required to attend a Pre-departure Orientation in Washington DC in mid-July 2012 as a condition of their grants.

Additionally, I have friends who have completed an ETA in Russia in the past, and they have all had a pre-departure orientation

Hey pelevinfan,

Thanks, belafish. I hope that's how it goes! Who even knows with this process anymore. Either way, it will be nice to hear soon.

Yep, pretty sure. Also from the Fulbright website, but the country-specific page

Grant period 10 months, from September through June. Grantees may also be invited to work at English language summer camps sponsored by the U.S. Embassy in Russia in summer 2013. In addition, all grantees are required to attend a Pre-departure Orientation in Washington DC in mid-July 2012 as a condition of their grants.

Additionally, I have friends who have completed an ETA in Russia in the past, and they have all had a pre-departure orientation

Hmmm, that's so weird, because my quote was from the link that was in the email for finalists. Maybe they changed their mind or something? I agree with you though that the country page would probably supersede any other sources of info.

I'm not so sure. My country-specific page (Lithuania) also mentioned the requirement to attend a pre-departure orientation in Summer 2012, but after viewing the list on the page of information for recommended candidates (quoted above) several months ago and e-mailing Rachel Holskin in confusion, I got the following response:

Dear [NAME],

At this point, we anticipate the pre-departure orientation to be exclusively for ETA grantees, so this would not apply to you.

All the best,

Rachel

Take from that what you will (maybe that it can't hurt to ask?), but I don't think the country page is automatically more correct.

Edited by kgba

Hmmm, that's so weird, because my quote was from the link that was in the email for finalists. Maybe they changed their mind or something? I agree with you though that the country page would probably supersede any other sources of info.

Unfortunately so. I don't remember the 'July 2012' bit being there back when I applied, so it must have been added recently enough that it supercedes previous information. Ah, the joys of the Fulbright application process.

I'm not so sure. My country-specific page (Lithuania) also mentioned the requirement to attend a pre-departure orientation in Summer 2012, but after viewing the list on the page of information for recommended candidates (quoted above) several months ago and e-mailing Rachel Holskin in confusion, I got the following response:

Dear [NAME],

At this point, we anticipate the pre-departure orientation to be exclusively for ETA grantees, so this would not apply to you.

All the best,

Rachel

Take from that what you will (maybe that it can't hurt to ask?), but I don't think the country page is automatically more correct.

Actually, after I wrote that I thought to quickly check a couple country pages for Asia/ pacific countries, and several of them mention a 2012 pre-departure orientation even though Asia ( except china) was specifically excluded from the list of countries with orientations in the reccommended candidate email. Soooo who knows!!

I know in the past Poland has has an orientation for ETA grantees. However, according to that email, we're excluded because we're part of the EU (at least I assume that's what they mean by commission/non-commission)

Actually, after I wrote that I thought to quickly check a couple country pages for Asia/ pacific countries, and several of them mention a 2012 pre-departure orientation even though Asia ( except china) was specifically excluded from the list of countries with orientations in the reccommended candidate email. Soooo who knows!!

Latvia's page has said there is a pre-departure orientation since I can remember checking it last semester. But in all other Fulbright literature, it's been pretty clear that only a few countries are being included this year (and Latvia isn't one of them). I would not assume the country summary to be a beacon of truth.

Hey pelevinfan,

I also did not receive a save the date email, and I'm a finalist for the ETA to Russia as well. I'm not reading anything into it either.

I've been recommended for a full grant to Spain, so I've been hoping that we'd get the results around the same time as western Europe. Does anyone know if the governmental shutdowns in Spain are causing a delay?

I'm sure the strikes today didn't help but.. I doubt it will delay it too much, I am confident we'll find out within the next 2-3 weeks.. since that's what the trend seems to have been from last year!