Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Hi Andrew- welcome to the craziness that is this forum. I am very interested in grants to ukraine, since I am a finalist for Romania, right next door :-) Where would you be going? What is your topic?

Hi Eric,

At the moment, the plan is to spend half of the grant period in Kyiv and the other half in Lviv. My topic involves journalism and political theory. More specifically, I'm interested in looking at certain normative beliefs most journalists have regarding things like the amount of work the audience is willing to do in discerning truth. That's the very basic gyst of it.

In any case, how about you? Where will you be, and what is your topic?

Found out today that the Caribbean commission haven't made a decision yet... I guess the wait continues for the next several weeks....

Thanks for checking!! I think we're the only Caribbean people on here... the wait continues...

Hi Eric,

At the moment, the plan is to spend half of the grant period in Kyiv and the other half in Lviv. My topic involves journalism and political theory. More specifically, I'm interested in looking at certain normative beliefs most journalists have regarding things like the amount of work the audience is willing to do in discerning truth. That's the very basic gyst of it.

In any case, how about you? Where will you be, and what is your topic?

Wow, very very cool.

I will be in Timisoara if I get the grant, with some short trips to Iasi and a few other cities. I proposed to study the process of urban development in the regional centers (i.e. not bucharest) in order to identify the specific influences that cause Romanian towns to grow the way they do, and (hopefully!) identify more opportunities for citizen involvement in the development process.

Alternate for India Full

Found out Thursday afternoon. I think it was a big day for emails because I always got my finalist notification for the Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. To fellow alternates or those who were rejected, keep plugging forward.

Edited:

Oh, and for complete info for the spread sheet:

No interview, email on 3/29, Undergrad, poli sci

Edited by Cliana

Just got my acceptance for an ETA in Poland!!

If any Poland Fulbrighters are interested in contacting me, I should be online later this afternoon. (I am using my coffee break at work right now to write this. :) )

Congratulations, Polish Fulbrighters! Well, congrats to EVERYONE who got good news today, but I'm especially excited for those going to Poland because 1) if I'm also accepted, we'll be in neighboring countries, and 2) I'm pretty much obsessed with Poland. I almost applied there myself! So gratulujÄ™ Wam wszystkim :)

Hi everyone,

I'm officially emerging from lurker status to share the news that I was notified today that I have received a full Fulbright grant for Greece for 2012-13. The notification came by e-mail from Rachel at 12:50 pm ET. To anyone who is still waiting to hear back, or who was selected as an alternate, I wish you the very best of luck!

For anyone else who is a finalist for the full grant to Turkey, I just heard from Rachel and she anticipates they will get those notifications out next week! She makes no promises and specifies that this only applies to the full grant and not the ETAs. (Sorry ETA candidates! Sounds like you have longer to wait! ) Hope this puts at least a few people's anxiety to rest for a spell.

So from what I've observed from here, most of the time the acceptance/rejection e-mails come out at different times and by different institutions? A lot of the Southeast Asian countries have sent their acceptances already, but Vietnam seems to be out of the loop. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Vietnamese Fulbrighters on this forum, so I'm jealous of all the German ETA/Full Fulbrighters! :D

Edited by kbui

For anyone else who is a finalist for the full grant to Turkey, I just heard from Rachel and she anticipates they will get those notifications out next week! She makes no promises and specifies that this only applies to the full grant and not the ETAs. (Sorry ETA candidates! Sounds like you have longer to wait! ) Hope this puts at least a few people's anxiety to rest for a spell.

Nooooooooo! I don't want to wait longer. haha. But I fully anticipated waiting until May to hear, so I guess this doesn't really change anything for me.

Thanks for the update Amandalanh - this is very good news indeed!

Are there any Middle East folks out there that have been in touch with Jermaine Jones? I'm contemplating calling, but don't want to add to the inquiries if people have already been doing so.

Are there any Middle East folks out there that have been in touch with Jermaine Jones? I'm contemplating calling, but don't want to add to the inquiries if people have already been doing so.

If you do call, want to ask about a timeline for Sub-saharan Africa as well?

I emailed him a few days ago and got this response:

The past three years, recommended candidates for Morocco were notified about their final standing between mid-March and mid-April (although some people who were initially wait-listed were promoted later in the spring/early summer). I have no idea whether the same timeframe will hold true this year.

I hope this helps.

I see that in 2010 - 2011 a Portugal ETA Alternate was later accepted for an ETA in Morocco...

Anyone know why something like this would happen?

A little bummed out about this semi-rejection e-mail, but glad to be a part of this wonderful group!

I hope it works out for you in the end, whether in Portugal or Morocco!