Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone next year who visits this forum, let week on July 17th, I was promoted from an alternate to a principal candidate for the Montenegro ETA! The date that I was originally notified was 3 months earlier. Good luck to all of the applicants for next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

1) Congrats to everyone who was promoted,

2) Could anyone tell me of how I could go about receiving IRB approval for my Fulbright project. I cannot do it through my University because I just recently graduated, and since I no longer have an affiliation with this University, I cannot use their IRB services. The only other option I was thinking of, is paying for IRB approval through Western IRB, however, this is expensive and I would like to explore other options before doing this.

Any suggestions?

Hi everyone! I was a 2011 Ian Axford Fellow in New Zealand, which is a specialty fellowship administered by Fulbright New Zealand.

It's so helpful to get advice from former Fulbrighters. I just gathered some of the best questions and answers from this thread for my recent blog post:

5 Awkward Questions You Don’t Want To Ask Your Fulbright Advisors

I wish you all the best of luck!

• 5 weeks later...

2) Could anyone tell me of how I could go about receiving IRB approval for my Fulbright project. I cannot do it through my University because I just recently graduated, and since I no longer have an affiliation with this University, I cannot use their IRB services. The only other option I was thinking of, is paying for IRB approval through Western IRB, however, this is expensive and I would like to explore other options before doing this.

Are you SURE you can't apply through the school you just graduated from? Did you have your Fulbright advisor ask the IRB whether you could? Your school should be proud to be able to claim you and should provide you with that kind of support. When I graduated from undergrad they kept contacting me years later to find out if I wanted to renew an old IRB (no Fulbright involved), so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to apply for a new one after graduating. Given, that was a private school and resources were flush back then.

I just thought of a workaround though: Apply through your undergrad advisor listing him/her as "Principle Investigator" and yourself as "Co-Principle Investigator." Voila!

So, potential problem. I just learned I received a Fulbright-Hays (which provides more support than the Fulbright). Aaaaand it seems that technically if you've already accepted a Fulbright you can't accept a Fulbright-Hays even if you give up the Fulbright (what the what, right?). My situation is further complicated cause I'm already abroad on a CLEA.

Oh, somebody, please, tell me you're in the same boat! Is there any word yet on whether Fulbright-Hays and Fulbright are going to be flexible and reasonable about this, given FY 2011-2012's 8-month delay in the Fulbright-Hays? So desperate for information and really afraid to reveal my situation to either side at this stage.

(Take heart, alternates, in case they do decide to be nice!)

Hi everyone!

1) Congrats to everyone who was promoted,

Any suggestions?

Hello,

I am an awardee for 2012-2013... I applied through my school, but since my Fulbright project takes place after I have graduated, I didn't need to have IRB approval. I just noted that I don't need IRB approval and the circumstances around why in my project proposal (1 sentence) and that was it. This must have been enough.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Espanya2013

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

I am currently applying for an ETA in South America (yikes!) and I find this thread to be super helpful. I was wondering if anyone who was either a finalist or an accepted Fulbrighter would be willing to share their essays with me? It always helps to get an idea of what a winning essay looks like, so I might know how to structure mine more appropriately. Anyone who applied to a country in South America would be extra helpful!

Thanks!

I'm applying for an ETA in South America as well, although probably different countries. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I used Barron's New GRE prep book, which I found useful. My advice would be to start with the sections you feel most uncomfortable with first (that way you don't leave them for last and burn out before you get there). And do some of the practice essays with a timer, so that you get a feel for how much time you have and how to get a whole coherent essay down in such a short span.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

anyone know if you actually need to be in the USA to go ahead with all of the paperwork/processing for a fulbright? im asking if there are any fulbrighters from past years that did everything remotely...including a plane ticket being purchased from a city outside of the US to the fulbright host country?