Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Fulbright 2012-2013

• Please log in to reply
3736 replies to this topic

#41 Magdalena

Magdalena

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

ETA applicants- I'm curious to know what you are proposing to do with your time outside of the teaching assistantship. I don't need specifics just wanted to see what everyone was thinking!

I'm applying for the ETA in Poland or in another slavic language country, partially because that's where I was born, and it's the language I speak. But honestly, my side project proposal might have something to do with my continuing research for the short stories I'm writing about the immigration experience. I don't know how it would promote cross-cultural understanding unless I managed to get a collection published. So, in short, I'm not sure.
What were you thinking?

#42 Espanya2013

Espanya2013

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

Thanks, Espanya2013! I think you and I have had similar experiences. I'll have to stay strong/committed to what is important to me about my app, but I think having my FPA's input would be more beneficial than not in the long run.

No problem... look forward to comparing notes with a fellow Spain applicant.

#43 Kimberly

Kimberly

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Program:MFA Painting

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

Is there an FPA you can contact (perhaps at your undergrad institution)? I recall discussing this last year when I was considering applying... I don't believe having a long term experience (i.e. Master's) "hurts" an application as long as it's time spent in a country other than the one you're applying to. They wouldn't want someone who spent 12 years in Germany applying to Germany. I'm not sure about the 2 months in France timeline... I think the cutoff was 6 months, but don't quote me on that. I would contact an FPA or poke around the Fulbright website FAQ, etc. I believe the issue may be addressed on there...

Thank you so much! I have just emailed my FPA and will poke around a little more on the FAQ section of the website.

#44 ccastle

ccastle

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR
  • Program:Fullbright Full Grant

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hey all I am new to the grad cafe but really look forward to the Fulbright process with everyone. I am applying for a full grant to the Netherlands! My personal draft and grant of purpose are in what seems like their 80th drafts. My FPA is has been really helpful and we have weekly meetings. If anyone would like to swap personal statements or grants of purpose for peer review I am more then happy too!

#45 lkjl2007

lkjl2007

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationVillach, Austria
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Fulbright USTA Austria 2012-13

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:56 AM

I am applying for ETA Germany, as well as the Fulbright-funded/administered USTA in Austria--since it's not officially part of the ETA program, you can apply for both. I'm not entirely clear on what I'll propose for my non-teaching time--will likely involve further German language study and writing projects, but I feel like I should come up with something more specific and probably more cross-culturally oriented.

Anyone else for Germany?
Accepted: Fulbright ETA Germany 2012-2013, Fulbright USTA Austria 2012-2013
Attending: Fulbright USTA in Villach, Austria 2012-2013

#46 thedailyexpeditioner

thedailyexpeditioner

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, NZ
  • Program:PCAS

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:06 AM

Hey everyone! I am about to head to New Zealand on a Fulbright and am starting a blog on my experiences with the application process, in addition to my travels. It'll include some helpful links and samples of the personal statement/grant purpose just so you can get an idea of what to expect and how to prepare.

The daily expeditioner

Also let me know if there is anything I can help with. I'd be happy to review/revise any glaring errors in the proposal. Any advice I can give-just visit my blog and shoot me an email.

I'm no expert, but since I worked for months on mine and it was picked, the advice couldn't hurt!

Also let me know if there's anything you want to see put on the blog!

#47 doctordestiny

doctordestiny

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Program:Ph.D Neuroscience

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

Hey guys! I'm applying for a full grant for Germany but wasn't sure how good my German had to be to work in a life sciences/biology lab (possibly at the Max Planck Institute). It's basically something I'd need to pick up, but it seems like the research is conducted mostly in English. Does anyone have any information or knowledge on this? Thanks for the help!

#48 ktel

ktel

Cup o' Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Program:Engineering

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:24 AM

Hey guys! I'm applying for a full grant for Germany but wasn't sure how good my German had to be to work in a life sciences/biology lab (possibly at the Max Planck Institute). It's basically something I'd need to pick up, but it seems like the research is conducted mostly in English. Does anyone have any information or knowledge on this? Thanks for the help!

I spent some time at a German university last summer doing a class and then a bunch of them did internships. Since I had some German language ability, I was placed in a local research company where I was expected to speak some German, but all the other students knew English only, and that seemed to be the language in which most of the research was conducted at the university. Any other internship program I have looked into has specified that the placements are mostly in English as well. Germany is very dominated by the English language in general.

#49 ccastle

ccastle

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR
  • Program:Fullbright Full Grant

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

I read a fulright blog a while back on someone who worked at the Max Planck Institute studying ancient neanderthal dna I believe. He stayed on to do his phD there as well. You may want to google him and see if you can get in touch with him. He may have some excellent advice for you. The only other thing I can rememer abobut him is that he was from UNLV

#50 elizakate

elizakate

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Program:Anthropology

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

Hi Bkid,

I am also a Fulbright research grantee this year, and I'll be applying for entrance to graduate school for the fall of next year. It's great that you started so early; I finally concretized my decision a few weeks ago, and I'm already feeling crunched for time! Congratulations on your Fulbright; your project sounds really interesting. I myself am in Argentina, doing an ethnography of a public maternity hospital. I plan to go into anthropology with a focus on women's reproductive rights and activism in Latin America. I'll be anxious to hear how things turn out for you!

All the best

#51 muscndanz

muscndanz

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Application Season:Not Applicable
  • Program:Fulbright 2011-2012

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

I wish I had found this site a year ago when I was applying. It wasn't until after I was selected that I stumbled here. These forums are a great resource--so if you are here already, you're off to a good start!

I will be heading to Austria to begin my Fulbright with a project regarding interdisciplinary music and dance studies. It would be delighted to offer my experience if anyone had any questions about the application, process, preparation, and of course the wait, etc.

You can message me or check out the blog I started recently. www.adrienneharding.com Best wishes!! :D

#52 RusPNI

RusPNI

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAtlanta
  • Program:Fulbright Research

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

Hello, friends and competitors.

I am applying for a full grant to Russia in the natural sciences. The Fulbright application is very challenging and difficult to complete. I have been trying for several years to put together a complete application, but this year is my year. I finally have a letter of affiliation.

I learned from Rachel Holskin that the length of the grant is strictly ten months and begins in September. Apparently visa regulations make for inflexible dates. Once question I have been afraid to ask: how much is the stipend for Russia. Yes, I know it varies depending on the location within Russia. Can anyone ballpark it?

Good luck to everyone, and thank your lucky stars that Fulbright funding is still intact. The poor Title VIII applicants were hung completely out to dry this year by Congress. Not a single applicant will be funded.

#53 Quepee

Quepee

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAugusta, Maine
  • Program:Fulbright ETA 2012-2013

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Hi! Is it cheating to say that I only discovered the Fulbright ETA program a few days ago? I feel like I jumped on the bandwagon when others have planned this step for years. Guilty or not, I'm applying to the ETA in Croatia! So far, I have two recommendations set up: one from a former professor who is teaching English in China for the month and the other from a former professor who spent the last year teaching in Slovenia thanks to Fulbright (I feel like I hit the jackpot with that one!) Still searching for a third reference...

Like a lot of people, I am stumped on the Personal Statement and Project Proposal aspects. As far as the personal statement goes, I feel like I might not be the typical Fulbright ETA-er. I've graduated in May of 2010. I'm 25. I was unemployed all of 2010. I have no plans to go to graduate school. I'm looking into becoming TEFL certified through Cambridge's CELTA program, but that is about it. I'm not sure if my lack of direction will hinder me, or might perhaps make me stand out?! Probably not...I'm not sure how to be honest about myself without sounding like I am looking for a paid year in gorgeous Croatia!

All in all, I am going to keep plugging along, learning as much about Croatia as humanly possible and talking (via email) to as many past Fulbrighters as I can. Now, if only I could come up with an awesome project!

I'd love to hear back from any and every one!

Kendall

#54 cxxxxxx

cxxxxxx

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Program:MFA Photography

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hello!

I am from the UK, I applied a few months ago to study an MFA in the US. Still waiting to hear back... Is there anyone else from the UK waiting too or anyone who has successfully applied for an Arts masters from the UK or europe?

I've spent hours trawling the internet this site is a fantastic resource.

#55 hildewijch

hildewijch

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Program:M.Div

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

I have considered applying for the Germany ETA, but am not sure my chances are good, as it seems geared more toward German majors and future German teachers. I'm a masters student in Religion and did 2+ years of German in college, studied at the Goethe Institue in Berlin, and speak pretty good conversational German thanks to having German family and a German boyfriend in the past. At this point, I think living in Germany for a year would take me a long ways toward fluency, but I don't know if its worth going for it?

I am planning to appy for the separate Austrian program, and if I decide not to apply for Germany I would apply for an ETA somewhere much more "obscure" such as Armenia, Georgia, or Cyprus (I'm interested in Eastern Christianity), but I'm not sure what the applicant pool is like for those countries... Thoughts?

#56 Meerkat

Meerkat

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

Hello!

I am from the UK, I applied a few months ago to study an MFA in the US. Still waiting to hear back... Is there anyone else from the UK waiting too or anyone who has successfully applied for an Arts masters from the UK or europe?

I've spent hours trawling the internet this site is a fantastic resource.

UK here too. I check my email every day since they said late July/Early August, but nothing yet. Good luck, hope we both get an interview :)

#57 cxxxxxx

cxxxxxx

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Program:MFA Photography

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hi Meerkat, what did you apply to study?

#58 Miss K

Miss K

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Application Season:2014 Fall
  • Program:MFA (Poetry)

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:48 AM

Hey there! I'm applying to the ETA for Azerbaijan, which appears to have the same requirements as Armenia (I was also considering Armenia, but changed my mind at the last minute). I am not Azeri or Russian either, but I did take a year of Russian. However, both countries seem to want to distance themselves from Russia and are trying very hard to replace Russian with English. I read that, at least in Azerbaijan, locals would much rather speak Azeri than Russian. In other words, while Russian may be somewhat useful as you try to adapt once you're there, I don't know how much it should affect your application. At least that's my opinion. Good luck!

Thank you so much!!! Perhaps we'll see each other in the Caucasus!

#59 Pantone257

Pantone257

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Program:Fulbright Partnership Award - UK

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hello all! Anyone else applying to the UK to obtain a master's degree at a specific university? Just looking for any advice about how to weave that intention into a proposal that is compelling - obviously the goal is to say more than "I am interested in abc and getting a master's degree at so-and-so university will help me do xyz." Any feedback would be awesome, thanks!

#60 Scottie_Bob

Scottie_Bob

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBirmingham
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:48 PM

UK scholar here, applying for Scottish Studies Scholarship. Just found out this week I've been short-listed for an interview, so pretty jazzed about that, although the hard work starts now... >.<

Anybody else in this boat?

SB

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users