Cincinnati, OH

Guest NP

I've lived in NY all my life and I'm considering attending the University of Cincinnati this fall. Can someone tell me about life in Cincinnati?

Guest magemaud

Thanks for starting this thread and saving me the trouble. My daughter applied to U Cincy, sight unseen. They accepted her with a very generous financial offer but she knows absolutely nothing about the area. As a mother, one of my greatest concerns is safety. I hope someone responds with some information regarding the city and campus life.

Guest lawriter

If you're looking for city info, you might want to try http://www.collegeprowler.com. They have a lot of guides about colleges and the surrounding areas. They're written by undergrads, but as far as area and safety concerns, it's really helpful. They may have one for Cincinnati.

I lived in Cincy for several years as a kid, but it was in the suburbs, not near downtown. I've heard that downtown and the university area has a gang problem. When I applied for my undergrad seven years ago, my parents wouldn't let me apply there. However, it may be a misconception. Your best bet might be to have your daughter e-mail current grad students and ask what their opinions are. Student Housing and the campus police might also be able to help.

For anyone moving to Cincinnati, be prepared for lots of fast food chili joints, and check out Montgomery Inn (one in Montgomery and one downtown on the river.) It's an amazing resaurant, but it's packed almost every night. Their ribs and barbeque sauce are to die for. If Nick Lachey is in town, you might spot him at the downtown one.

Guest Guest

I've also heard downtown and the university area has serious crime problems. I know someone who has visited campus last year and she couldn't stand to be down there. She got a lot of rude comments shouted at her by men and felt unsafe her whole visit. I have driven down there a few times and the suburbs are nice, but downtown is creepy. I felt unsafe and wanted to stay on the highway because the downtown streets were just not the best looking. I also know someone who just went down for a campus visit a couple of days ago and she felt unsafe. She decided she will not be attending there.

Guest magemaud

Thanks everybody for your replies. My daughter will not have time to visit the campus before she makes her decision but everything I'm hearing about it makes me concerned for her safety even though she is coming from an urban undergrad setting and has gotten pretty streetwise. She has been in touch with a couple of grad students in her program although I'm not sure what info she got from them. Fortunately she's been accepted into four grad school programs so she has some options. U Cincy's financial offer is the best but that seems to be all they have going for them. Also, I don't want to offend anyone, but isn't their overall academic reputation kind of mediocre?

Guest cincinnatian

I grew up in Cincinnati, so I might be able to give some perspective.

While I was growing up there, I never thought of Cincinnati as a high crime city because I had never really known anything else. I always felt safe even though I lived in one of the neighborhoods with the highest crime rates, in fact during the "race riots" five years ago ( I put the word riot in quotes because It hink that they were really overblown by the media), I was walking around downtown, and the worst thing that happened to me was being told by a very nice older African American woman that I might want to leave since I was white and some people were getting pretty ugly.

When I moved to a much safer city for college however I started to realize that Cincinnati probably is a little more dangerous than other cities and that I had just been conditioned not to notice it. All of my college friends for instance were really suprised that I didn't have any qualms about going into the sketchier areas of town in the city we live in at night, or walking by myself in higher crime areas, and I think the reason I've never been nervous about stuff like that, is that after living in Cincinnati, the sketchier areas of Portland ( where I live now) don't feel unsafe to me. Conversely, when I come home for breaks, I've noticed that over the past four years I've gotten a little more nervous about going into areas of town that I had previously felt comfortable in. In short, I think how dangerous Cincinnati feels is sort of relative to what you're accustomed to. To put things in perspective, there were 76 homicides in Cincinnati last year, which is far less than cities like Saint Louis or DC, however I also have friends who stayed in town for college who complain about property crime all the time. Your daughter should defenitley visit before making any decisions, because while there are some really good things about Cincinnati -it has a wonderful art museum, playhouse, symphony, park system, etc. it also has some serious downsides. If your daughter is really concerned about crime she could always live a little bit away from campus, in perhaps Mount Adams which is a really nice and vibrant neighborhood though relatively pricey neighborhoos near the art museum and about a 10 minute drive from UC. I disliked living there for other reasons when I was growing up, -people can be very conservative, sports obsessed and anti intellectual, there isn't much to do, the downtown isn't exactly exciting etc. and I'll probably never live there again ( though I feel that way about most of the midwest)

UC's academic reputation really varies by field like most large universities. From my understanding, its rather good for Classics at the graudate level, the performing and creative arts, engineering, and some of the sciences.

Guest mgeller44

Shaddy- for cincinnati try living in Clifton...cool young area, not expensive. Avoid "Over the Rhine" and Vine st. Mt. Adams is awesome but more expensive, good luck

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

any kind of information can help alot.

Cincinnati is a great place to live. If you're worried about crime I would avoid the area immediately surrounding the university (Clifton Heights). There is a nice area called the Clifton Gaslight District which is about a mile or so from UC. Many graduate students, professors, and locals live there. You could also check out Oakley and Hyde Park, both are several miles away but are very safe areas full of 20-30 somethings. Good luck!

Cincinnati is a great place to live. If you're worried about crime I would avoid the area immediately surrounding the university (Clifton Heights). There is a nice area called the Clifton Gaslight District which is about a mile or so from UC. Many graduate students, professors, and locals live there. You could also check out Oakley and Hyde Park, both are several miles away but are very safe areas full of 20-30 somethings. Good luck!

Echoed. I live in Clifton Gaslight now, and love the vibe. There are coffee shops, restaurants, and a fantastic hometown dive (called Arlin's) that my department frequents. It's walkable to campus as well, which was a major factor in my choosing to live there. Unfortunately, you have to walk up a hill to get to campus, but this is Cincinnati: you will have to walk uphill (often both ways!) to walk anywhere. ;)

Coming from the Philadelphia area, CIncinnati was a bit of a culture shock, but I enjoy living here. People are friendly (the culture is very midwest) and the city is small but well served. Tons of great restaurants and bars (I can take you on an amazing virtual burger tour), great parks, museums, and a great baseball stadium with plentiful $15 seats.

The other thread on Cincinnati is weird and, I think, misrepresents the city. Yes, there are sections of the city that are more dangerous than others, but I think it's a mistake to characterize the entire city as some crime-ridden hole. In the two years I've lived here so far, I've noticed there's a strange view of the downtown and university areas by those who live in the suburbs, and it looks like those are the sorts of people who contributed to the last thread.

Cincinnati is very much a neighborhood-y city, and in some cases changes block-by-block. I'd definitely recommend visiting if you can to check out potential living situations in person. You'll want to be able to get a feel for the area; every neighborhood has a very different character.

The area to avoid living is south of campus (and that's where all the undergrads live, anyway, so double the reason!) and some areas to the west, which are both in Clifton Heights.

Other neighborhoods my friends have found success living in, apart from Clifton Gaslight: Northside, College HIll, Norwood, O'Bryonville, Newport (Kentucky), Corryville, and even OTR.

- Northside has the advantage of being on a direct bus line to campus.

- College Hill is on the same bus line, but a bit of a hike (15 minutes, maybe more by car). But it has a really low crime rate. My advisor and one of my classmates lives there.

- Norwood has a low crime rate as well (I think the lowest in the city?), but you'd definitely have to drive from here.

- O'Bryonville (and parts of East Walnut Hills) would be accessible on a direct bus line, and O'Bryonville is cute.

- Newport is closer than you'd think; definitely a 10-minute drive or more, but it's lots cheaper to live down there, and there's a lot of bars, coffee shops, and stuff to do within walking distance.

- Corryville is next to campus, on the East side. Parts of it are ghetto, but parts of it are livable. My boyfriend lives there, as do a lot of students.

- OTR admittedly has the highest crime rate in the city. You'd have to know what you're getting into there. But that said, I have a number of friends who live down there and enjoy it. Space is cheap, and the area (for better or worse) is gentrifying and "revitalizing," so there are a lot of really awesome bars, restaurants, and coffee shops moving in. My friends who live down there have lived on Main Street.

Hyde Park and Oakley are definitely nice, but also a little far out (10-15 minute drive, more with traffic) and probably only easily accessible by car, in most cases. It's probably also one of the most expensive areas you could live in, apart from Mount Adams (which is a "young professional" party scene, anyway).

Parking around campus is either really expensive in the garages or a headache trying to find on the street (which I did last year). I'd recommend trying to find a place within walking distance or on a direct bus line (by that I mean you don't have to transfer buses).

Edited by runonsentence

I third the suggestion of the Gaslight District. In the Clifton area, that's clearly the best place to live for a grad. student. Farther away from most of the undergrads, lots of good food (3 Indian restaurants in 1 city block), Arlin's bar, and it's safer than the parts of Clifton near UC (But not totally safe -- it's definitely still a "be careful and be smart" area).

I would definitely not recommend Corryville south of MLK. A lot of students live there, but I wouldn't. Corryville north of MLK is better.

You don't want to live south of campus. It's more dangerous and it's party central.

One of the best things about Cincinnati, no question, is how cheap it is to live here. I pay $325 in rent and am less than a 10 minute walk to campus.

I third the suggestion of the Gaslight District. In the Clifton area, that's clearly the best place to live for a grad. student. Farther away from most of the undergrads, lots of good food (3 Indian restaurants in 1 city block), Arlin's bar, and it's safer than the parts of Clifton near UC (But not totally safe -- it's definitely still a "be careful and be smart" area).

I would definitely not recommend Corryville south of MLK. A lot of students live there, but I wouldn't. Corryville north of MLK is better.

You don't want to live south of campus. It's more dangerous and it's party central.

One of the best things about Cincinnati, no question, is how cheap it is to live here. I pay $325 in rent and am less than a 10 minute walk to campus.

It's definitely cheap. I found a single-bedroom apartment with tons of floor space for $525/month, INCLUDING all utilities except for Internet. My little building is old and full of spiders, but adorable and in a great part of town.

Yes, Clifton Gaslight is still a "be smart" area, but I also feel safe here as a single woman and see some runners at night, if that helps anyone. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, i'm new here

I just got admitted into the MEng Program for Fall 2011 at teh University of Cincinnati. I would like to find out more about the city, what to expect as a first timer there, e.t.c. I'd also like to know what is the job/internship scenario like in Cincinnati, how easy it is to secure jobs.

I hope i get responses...... Thanks in advance!

I lived in the Gaslight area for 3 years during my MS program and loved it! Still miss it sometimes, and still try to make a stop to Ludlow Ave. during trips to Indiana with BF to see his family. We love Sitwell's coffeehouse (which I basically treated as my living room when I was finishing my thesis), and Habanero's.

The company A. W. Gerdsen owns apt buildings in the vicinity in buildings from the 1930s-1970s...I rented a studio apt. for $365 in 2003 and from ads and postings I saw around Ludlow this winter, it looks like the rental market has hardly gone up in price. The studio was perfect for a grad student - HUGE closets, eat-in kitchen with neat 30s-era cabinets...a reasonable amount of space. The company was on the ball about maintenance and provided tenants with extra storage in the basement. I would definitely recommend them: http://www.gerdsen.com/

I loved my time in Cincinnati and really got into the whole history of the city, the architecture, and the local music scene. Lots of bluegrass acts come through, Tall Stacks is fun, Bock Fest is a blast, and saw Muse perform in tiny venue of Topcat's.

I lived in the Gaslight area for 3 years during my MS program and loved it! Still miss it sometimes, and still try to make a stop to Ludlow Ave. during trips to Indiana with BF to see his family. We love Sitwell's coffeehouse (which I basically treated as my living room when I was finishing my thesis), and Habanero's.

The company A. W. Gerdsen owns apt buildings in the vicinity in buildings from the 1930s-1970s...I rented a studio apt. for $365 in 2003 and from ads and postings I saw around Ludlow this winter, it looks like the rental market has hardly gone up in price. The studio was perfect for a grad student - HUGE closets, eat-in kitchen with neat 30s-era cabinets...a reasonable amount of space. The company was on the ball about maintenance and provided tenants with extra storage in the basement. I would definitely recommend them: http://www.gerdsen.com/

I loved my time in Cincinnati and really got into the whole history of the city, the architecture, and the local music scene. Lots of bluegrass acts come through, Tall Stacks is fun, Bock Fest is a blast, and saw Muse perform in tiny venue of Topcat's.

Hello, i'm new here

I just got admitted into the MEng Program for Fall 2011 at teh University of Cincinnati. I would like to find out more about the city, what to expect as a first timer there, e.t.c. I'd also like to know what is the job/internship scenario like in Cincinnati, how easy it is to secure jobs.

I hope i get responses...... Thanks in advance!

I made a longer post further up in this thread that might be useful about the general feel of the city.

Sorry to say I don't know anything about jobs, since I have a TAship. Are you talking about full-time jobs for after you graduate, or part-time jobs while you study...?

Let us know if you have any more specific questions!

I made a longer post further up in this thread that might be useful about the general feel of the city.

Sorry to say I don't know anything about jobs, since I have a TAship. Are you talking about full-time jobs for after you graduate, or part-time jobs while you study...?

Let us know if you have any more specific questions!

Thank you very responding. I am actually talking of full time job after you graduate.

Thank you very responding. I am actually talking of full time job after you graduate.

You're welcome! Your best bet is to get in contact with current graduate students in engineering. People in my discipline usually have to move across the country to get a full-time job. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm thinking I want to live in the Gaslight district of Clifton...Does anyone have any other good apartment complexes they have heard of? Especially ones with a good fitness center? I'm definitely going to look into the Gerdsen Apartments, but I was just wondering if there were other good ones as well? I'm heading out there in September from San Diego and I won't get a chance to visit and apartment hunt before I start orientation.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated, and this thread has already been more than helpful for someone like me who is moving across the country!

So I'm thinking I want to live in the Gaslight district of Clifton...Does anyone have any other good apartment complexes they have heard of? Especially ones with a good fitness center? I'm definitely going to look into the Gerdsen Apartments, but I was just wondering if there were other good ones as well? I'm heading out there in September from San Diego and I won't get a chance to visit and apartment hunt before I start orientation.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated, and this thread has already been more than helpful for someone like me who is moving across the country!

Gaslight's an historic town with big old houses and a number of smaller apartment complexes. So, I'm not sure of how many are corporate enough to have fitness centers, unless you start looking at the big complexes farther out of Gaslight and closer to Martin Luther King Drive (like Clifton Colony).

Be careful of some of those big apartments down there, though (the Forum being an example)...I've had friends live in some of the ones off of Riddle Rd. and do fine, but I've seen Internet warnings about bedbugs at some of them (like the Forum).

P.S. Also, though it's not as convenient as 24-hour access, note that Gaslight is walking distance from campus, and UC has a newly renovated, insanely nice fitness center. Access is free during the year, though we have to pay in the summer.

Edited by runonsentence

You won't find too many apartment complexes, per se...Gerdsen has studios and 1 and 2 BDs in historic buildings, so finding a fitness center included will be difficult to impossible.

Agreed, the fitness center at the university was amazing. I was there all the time. This was in c. 2002, and any subsequent renovations would be a big plus. They had free classes, too.

The Forum on MLK does have a fitness center (which they make very visible from the road), but I would avoid them at all costs. I housesit for a friend there frequently, the building was rundown and much of the fitness equip broken, crime was higher, and they actually had a bar (!) on the ground floor of the apt. complex...so it was loud as could be at all hours of the night.

Edited by mandarin.orange