Cincinnati, OH

Guest NP

Great to know, thank you! I was actually looking into the Forum apartments, so now I will cross that off my list. All this information has been extremely useful!

I was also wondering if anyone could provide information about parking at UC. I will be bringing my car, and I was wondering what the permit situation is like? When it gets cold out its going to be a battle for me to get to campus (being from Southern California), let alone walk all the way there. Is parking difficult to find and are permits ridiculous expensive?

Edited by GabbyI

Is parking difficult to find and are permits ridiculous expensive?

Yes and yes. It's possible to do street parking (I did this for a year when I was living in Norwood), but it's a huge headache. You'll have to get to know the side streets and tricks, and it will be really hard to find parking at certain times of day (like 12noon, for example). The cheapest lots around are somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 per quarter (so, somewhere just below $1k for the academic year).

The walk's only about 15 minutes; apart from the pain of walking up the hill, it's honestly not bad. I do it just about every day, as does anyone else I know who lives in Gaslight (including a Los Angelos transplant). Get yourself a nice warm jacket and wear layers—though trust me, you'll keep warm walking up the hill. Also, there is a shuttle route that goes through parts of Gaslight (the "North" route).

If you're looking in Gaslight, you're honestly already paying the premium for walking to campus. (That is, apartments in Gaslight are priced higher than comprable apartments elsewhere in the city because of its proximity to campus.) If you're dead set against walking and plan to drive, you'd be better off living in a cheaper neighborhood elsewhere in the city.

Edited by runonsentence

Is parking difficult to find and are permits ridiculous expensive?

I will second the "yes" to both. I can't think of anyone in my cohort who had a parking permit, except one who split the expense with his wife, also a grad student, and they lived a few miles north of town. The rest of us walked/biked/scootered to campus. My advisor kept a 7am-4pm schedule expressly for the purpose of snagging the last of the free spots close to campus on Clifton Ave by the Burnet Woods. A bus route goes Ludlow Ave to Clifton Ave and then by the University, which I would sometimes do in the rain, or if I was running a tad late.

Another parking option for really bad weather days or days where you don't feel well and don't walk to walk is to park in Deaconess Hospital Parking garage.

It's on Straight Street, just off Clifton Ave, and UC students/faculty can park on the top two floors for $5 a day.

If you are driving/parking every day, the parking passes are cheaper (University Garage is $150/quarter) but if you are just planning on parking every now and then, Deaconess is the way to go. They accept quarters, singles, five dollar bills, and visa/mastercard. When the machines aren't working, parking can even be free.

Another parking option for really bad weather days or days where you don't feel well and don't walk to walk is to park in Deaconess Hospital Parking garage.

It's on Straight Street, just off Clifton Ave, and UC students/faculty can park on the top two floors for $5 a day.

If you are driving/parking every day, the parking passes are cheaper (University Garage is $150/quarter) but if you are just planning on parking every now and then, Deaconess is the way to go. They accept quarters, singles, five dollar bills, and visa/mastercard. When the machines aren't working, parking can even be free.

I just went onto uc.edu and saw that the daily rate at Stratford Garage (which is just about next to Deaconess) is increasing from $5/day to $7/day next year. I wonder if Deaconess will increase, as well? (Both have risen in price more or less together in the past...I remember when Deaconess was a lovely $3/day.)

• 7 months later...

Great to know, thank you! I was actually looking into the Forum apartments, so now I will cross that off my list. All this information has been extremely useful!

I was also wondering if anyone could provide information about parking at UC. I will be bringing my car, and I was wondering what the permit situation is like? When it gets cold out its going to be a battle for me to get to campus (being from Southern California), let alone walk all the way there. Is parking difficult to find and are permits ridiculous expensive?

Funny, I actually lived in the Forum and had a great experience. Depends on which building you live in I suppose, I was in the South tower, the really tall one. Had no bug problems, only once in the two years did I have a problem with electric going out (though that was during the great ice storm of 2007), the gym was always functional, indoor and outdoor pools were GREAT, especially for the grill they have by the outdoor pool in the summer, nice grillout parties... would play tennis on one of the two courts and that was always a blast. Granted this WAS a few years ago, maybe things went down hill, but I tell you was sure as hell a lot nicer than a lot of the places I looked at around clifton. Also, you have the back entrance which leads you right up to the University avoiding the MLK traffic. My neighbors were great and remain good friends of mine, one was a resident at Good Sam, the other a PhD student both now moved on but we all loved our places.

Anyhoo as I said maybe things have changed, but when I was in the building I had a great experience.

Also a shout out to B-Dubs over by the campus and Panera as well. I lived at both, especially Tuesday night at B-Dubs (Buffalo Wild Wings). 30 cent wings and 5 dollar tall boy Cherry Wheat Sam Adams...

I am actually considering going back to the Cinci-nasty, I miss it a lot, Hyde Park as that great strip of restaurants like Red... best steak I have had and I live in NYC... Also if you want some great late night grease, go to Steak and Shake and get the Patty Melt and a chocolate milkshake.... trust me.

I am shocked no one has mentioned either Gold Star or Skyline Chili??? Coney's are crucial food. Also, I used to walk over from campus to Spicy Pickle, AMAZING sandwiches (located right across from Chipotle). Also, right by campus is a great morning spot, Bruegger's Bagels... I prefer the cinnamon sugar bagel warmed up and buttered :D.

I have so far really only mentioned semi fast-foody places (aside from the fine restaurants on the Hyde Park strip). But there are so many other great places I just don't have space to discuss. If you move there I would also check out Newport, great food, decent shopping, a great date spot or spot for fun with the aquarium and all. Also the Southgate House is a GREAT music venue and has some fun nights (like 80s night etc).

If you like music, Bogart's is world-famous, just check out the website and who they have had play there over the last few decades. There is also the PNC Pavilion down by the water... great place for shows (though sometimes more expensive shows cause of the types of bands that go there).

You are also within short driving distance of Columbus which is a great city as well. And only ~4-5 hours or so driving to Chicago for a weekend.

The Cincinnati campus is really very nice and the Medical Park where the UC Med School is also features CCHMC, one of the best Children's Hospitals in the country, the VA is there with active research and the Vontz center (designed by a certain someone named Frank Gehry) with cutting edge research. The Cincinnati Zoo is surprisingly good, even compared to SD, DC and Bronx zoos (been to all of them, its comparable no doubt). As a Cincinnati student you have access to the brand new work out center and pool they have on the main campus, they also have a lot of intramural sports which grad students get involved with. And hopefully some day soon UC will recover from losing a certain coach to ND and have a good football team again.

There is so much more, there really is and its all so affordable, especially now having lived in NYC, I miss Cinci, I miss the great art gallaries downtown, and the first friday art shows, I miss the fourth of july fireworks show over the Ohio River, one of the best I have ever seen. I miss driving down to the Kentucky Derby or to the Indy 500, miss the great music scene and bands that pass through there.

Go there, its worth it.

ps to the person that asked about jobs post grad school, its a GREAT city for engineering, aside from P&G, the engineering program has one of the better co-op programs, I had quite a few friends that did engineering at UC and had jobs before they even finished their degrees. Its a really competitive school but its also a really well-connected university for engineering as well as business.

Best

AJ

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Any insights into living in Cincy as a grad student without a car? 

Also, I'm a single woman, but grew up in a large city, previously went to grad school near Detroit, and like up and coming/gentrifying neighborhoods. So, Over The Rhine actually appeals to me...but I'm worried about a) living there by myself and B) living there without a car, trying to get to UC every day. Does this sound doable? Safe?

I lived in Over the Rhine for several years during college, single female/living alone/no car.  I liked it, but none of my friends and family would come visit me down there  :wacko:   I lived in what I call "shallow OTR", just a few blocks from where the city and the ghetto meet, and it wasn't too bad, but I tried not to venture too often into "deep OTR".  My school was just a few blocks away, and for the most part I felt comfortable walking back and forth at all hours (although that may not have been wise).  

I was there I guess two years?  During that time, I witnessed a bit of violent crime (my neighbor was robbed at gunpoint; there was a shooting outside the school) but didn't personally experience anything.  My bike was stolen (still sad about that) and I was harassed once when I went walking through deep OTR.  I'm not saying any of this to scare you, just to give an honest picture.  If I could move back into my old apartment I would in a heartbeat.  It's been a few years since I lived there, but in those days there were a lot of festivals and art walks happening on Main Street.  The architecture is very nice as well. 

As far as living without a car -- doable, but it might help to make friends with someone who does have one.  There's not a lot in the way of groceries in that area.  Findlay Market is great for produce and meats and cheeses and such, but not so much everyday shopping.  There is (or at least was) a Kroger over on Vine, but it always seemed pretty sketchy to me so I'd usually get someone else to drive me over the river to the Kroger in Kentucky.  (Kentucky is actually very close-- walkable, really.)  As far as getting to UC, I took the bus there a few times without a problem, though I can't say what a day-to-day commute would feel like.  

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Can anyone tell me about the interview weekend at UC? I've been invited and am deciding what flight to take (ie, take an extra day off work and see more of the city or fly in early the day of). Is the event pretty busy or will I have time to relax/explore on my own? I've never been to Cincinnati. 

Thanks!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a huge 513 homer, so I'm a little biased even though I don't live there anymore, but Cincinnati is a great place. "Clifton gaslight" is a little gentrified-y for my tastes. Personally, I think all of Clifton is a decent area, but if I had a choice I'd probably choose Hyde Park or Mt. Adams which are beautiful historic neighborhoods that still have a good amount of affordable housing. OTR is fine as well, a lot of good, cheap options. Its bad rep is mostly undeserved. I've walked through there many a night alone (though I am a larger male). Northern Kentucky would be another option if you're looking for something a little further out. There are also many close-by suburbs and further out neighborhoods if you're willing to drive. UC is right off 75 so it's not a bad commute from the vast majority of the region. 

Just wanted to follow up again! Anyone have any insight on the best places to live in near UC? Thanks!

I'm from Cincinnati and went to UC for college. I moved to Northern Kentucky; it's cheaper, quieter, and safer, but still a 10ish minute drive from UC and downtown. Most students live in Clifton; it's definitely your typical college town and they've even built it up a lot more recently. Westwood is an Ohio option that is about a 10 minute drive and a lot cheaper than living right by campus, but you would have to drive to any nighttime activities.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone on here planning to attend UC for the Psych PhD program? I am looking for a potential roommate and I have a very good offer for someone who would like to talk. Thanks!

Edited by OneNotBlond

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

I have been reading this forum for the last few months and saw how people around the world come together and help each other knowing their next destination. Speaking further, I would like to bring it to your notice that I have been accepted into 'Northern Kentucky University' in MS program (I/O Psychology). Being an international student, I am completely unaware about the university area and its life out there. So it would be definitely a kind help if you can help me to get to know this place and adjust to its life style.

I hope I will get some really helpful response on this forum. I would appreciate if you stop by for few minutes and share your experience down here.

Thanks !!

• 10 months later...
On 3/24/2015 at 3:28 PM, OneNotBlond said:

Is anyone on here planning to attend UC for the Psych PhD program? I am looking for a potential roommate and I have a very good offer for someone who would like to talk. Thanks!

Hey, I am not a psych student but I will be attending UC's toxicology PhD program which is on the medical campus and I am currently looking for a place to live in Cincinnati. Send me a message if you are still looking for a potential room mate!

On 5/24/2015 at 11:23 PM, Saman said:

Hi Folks,

I have been reading this forum for the last few months and saw how people around the world come together and help each other knowing their next destination. Speaking further, I would like to bring it to your notice that I have been accepted into 'Northern Kentucky University' in MS program (I/O Psychology). Being an international student, I am completely unaware about the university area and its life out there. So it would be definitely a kind help if you can help me to get to know this place and adjust to its life style.

I hope I will get some really helpful response on this forum. I would appreciate if you stop by for few minutes and share your experience down here.

Thanks !!

Hi. I went to NKU for undergrad for two bachelors degrees (biological science and studio art) and grew up in this area, so I can tell you a bit about the University. NKU does not have many graduate programs, so expect to be surrounded be a vast majority of undergrads. NKU is building their new Health innovation center, so that is definitely a plus for going there. I loved NKU's campus because it is tucked away and is isolated from the rest of society. If you want to be in a stereotypical "college town", NKU probably isn't the place for you. It is located in the city of Highland Heights, KY which is in Campbell County. Campbell county is mostly rural farmland developed into more suburban area and the more south you go, the more rural it gets. It is a very cheap area to live and it has a lot of forested area, which is good if you like to live among nature. The majority of NKU's students are also commuters, so you don't have to live right by campus if that's what you don't want. NKU is about 20 minutes south of Cincinnati, so that is convenient if you want to live in the city or experience the city nightlife. You may want to consider renting a car or make sure you know people/make friends with people that do have a car. Greater Cincinnati (the larger area that surrounds Cincinnati) doesn't have very good public transportation. 

I hope this helps. I am returning to the area to attend the University of Cincinnati grad school this fall. I really like the area. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have, either on here or by private message! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2016 at 1:47 PM, kaida148 said:

Hi. I went to NKU for undergrad for two bachelors degrees (biological science and studio art) and grew up in this area, so I can tell you a bit about the University. NKU does not have many graduate programs, so expect to be surrounded be a vast majority of undergrads. NKU is building their new Health innovation center, so that is definitely a plus for going there. I loved NKU's campus because it is tucked away and is isolated from the rest of society. If you want to be in a stereotypical "college town", NKU probably isn't the place for you. It is located in the city of Highland Heights, KY which is in Campbell County. Campbell county is mostly rural farmland developed into more suburban area and the more south you go, the more rural it gets. It is a very cheap area to live and it has a lot of forested area, which is good if you like to live among nature. The majority of NKU's students are also commuters, so you don't have to live right by campus if that's what you don't want. NKU is about 20 minutes south of Cincinnati, so that is convenient if you want to live in the city or experience the city nightlife. You may want to consider renting a car or make sure you know people/make friends with people that do have a car. Greater Cincinnati (the larger area that surrounds Cincinnati) doesn't have very good public transportation. 

I hope this helps. I am returning to the area to attend the University of Cincinnati grad school this fall. I really like the area. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have, either on here or by private message! 

Hey,

Thanks for your response, it was really helpful. I am already here and almost done with the second semester. I like the campus and its surrounding. Anyway thanks for your response, appreciate it :)

• 2 years later...

Hi all! I am from Cincinnati but I moved up north for undergrad but now I am headed back to Cincinnati for grad school for Audiology! If anybody can guide me on Housing for the fall near UC’s medical Campus that would be great! I am also looking for roommates as well!!

Hi! I'm moving to study at UC in the fall too :)

Does anyone have an opinion about their on-campus housing options? I got an e-mail from the Office of Graduate and Family Housing with links to look at their apartments. Would anyone recommend living there?

On 4/21/2018 at 10:00 PM, JustHopefulMe said:

Hi! I'm moving to study at UC in the fall too :)

Does anyone have an opinion about their on-campus housing options? I got an e-mail from the Office of Graduate and Family Housing with links to look at their apartments. Would anyone recommend living there?

If you're looking at the on-campus housing, I'd put in your request ASAP. I put mine in right after I got accepted in March and just got an offer this week (and it wasn't my top choice location). Personally, the options look nice (compared to the graduate housing options at my undergrad) so I went for them, especially since it'll be my first time in the area and I don't know the area well.