Cincinnati, OH

Guest NP

On 4/26/2018 at 12:53 PM, devbioboy said:

If you're looking at the on-campus housing, I'd put in your request ASAP. I put mine in right after I got accepted in March and just got an offer this week (and it wasn't my top choice location). Personally, the options look nice (compared to the graduate housing options at my undergrad) so I went for them, especially since it'll be my first time in the area and I don't know the area well.

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up! 

May I ask you an off-topic question? I see that you have been accepted at great schools other than Cincinnati. Why did you decide to go with UC? 

I apologize if that question was too personal. You may choose not to answer, of course. I am just curious about how people decide where to go.

I was accepted at two schools and UC was the better of the two (in terms of facilities and research options). School #2 was great too but there was only one PI I felt could see myself working with. So that's how I made my decision.

On 4/28/2018 at 2:33 PM, JustHopefulMe said:

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up! 

May I ask you an off-topic question? I see that you have been accepted at great schools other than Cincinnati. Why did you decide to go with UC? 

I apologize if that question was too personal. You may choose not to answer, of course. I am just curious about how people decide where to go.

I was accepted at two schools and UC was the better of the two (in terms of facilities and research options). School #2 was great too but there was only one PI I felt could see myself working with. So that's how I made my decision.

Will DM you. Hopefully, I'll be seeing you around the medical area next year. :)

Hello everyone,

I will be joining UC this fall as well and would like to ask you if you know anything about the clifton east area ( Oak and burnet streets). Is this area safe? 

Edited by zee1992

• 10 months later...

I'll be moving to Cincinnati this summer and studying at UC. What are good areas to live around campus? Is campus area even safe to live around or is it better to live a little farther out? I plan on having a dog so I want to live close enough that if need be, I can run home to let her out. Also...big into running/climbing/hiking so let me know if you have recommendation in the area!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 10:31 PM, hannahbanana321 said:

I'll be moving to Cincinnati this summer and studying at UC. What are good areas to live around campus? Is campus area even safe to live around or is it better to live a little farther out? I plan on having a dog so I want to live close enough that if need be, I can run home to let her out. Also...big into running/climbing/hiking so let me know if you have recommendation in the area!

Here's some pretty common areas that UC students live: Clifton/Clifton Heights/University Heights (pretty student-centric, a good option if you want to walk to school or have a close commute), Hyde Park (pretty trendy area, lots of shopping, rent is bit more expensive but seems to be more catered to younger professionals), Oakley (pretty much the same vibe as Hyde Park), Corryville (lots of undergrads and medical students because it's super close to both UC and UC hospitals). I live in the University Heights area and I've felt pretty safe in the year that I've lived here. From my observations, University Heights tends to be mostly graduate students and pretty quiet whereas Clifton Heights seems to be mostly older undergrads, but they're pretty similar. If you want to live a little bit farther out, Covington and Newport in Northern KY and Norwood are also great places to live on a grad student budget. I know some graduate students that live in Blue Ash, Colerain Township, and West Chester (~30 minute commutes) and they love it, but have to budget that time into their daily schedules. 

I don't have any personal recommendations on climbing outdoors, but I know that the UC gym has an excellent climbing wall. There are lots of great parks in the Cincinnati area (https://www.greatparks.org/) that I know many use for running.

• 11 months later...

I will be attending the University of Cincinnati in the fall and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to live! Any specific apartment complexes or areas that are fun for grad students? Any information about UC and Cincinnati in general is appreciated! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 11:18 PM, balou21 said:

I will be attending the University of Cincinnati in the fall and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to live! Any specific apartment complexes or areas that are fun for grad students? Any information about UC and Cincinnati in general is appreciated! :) 

Hi there, 

I’m  headed to University of Cincinnati this fall too. What have you been accepted in? I got admission in their Molecular medicine phd program. 
Did you get any information about UC and apartment complexes.? 

• 2 weeks later...

I got admitted in their speech language pathology program masters program! I received a short list of apartments once I accepted my spot, but it was not much help and I'm still in the process of finding somewhere to live. Do you know of any online groups that could connect us to other admitted students? 

Hey, guys @balou21 and @Su08! Congrats on acceptance to UC.

I'm currently an undergrad here at UC, and I grew up in Cincinnati. I can say that there are a lot of good apartments around the area, but some are definitely a further walk than others. I wouldn't recommend the Forum unless you have a car, or plan to heavily use the shuttle and Nightride systems. There are many great places on Jefferson and Bishop streets that are walking distance to either the main campus or the medical campus. Riddle Road or anything near Straight Street is also a good pick, as it's near the main campus. Clifton Ave can get a bit loud, as it is near the Greek houses. 

There are several UC housing facebook groups too, and I've already seen people post their openings there for next year. You may want to try to see if there is a grad school cohort that you can connect with though. Many grad students I know also like to have their own apartments and then socialize on their own time, so that may be a consideration. 

Good luck with everything! 

On 3/21/2020 at 8:48 PM, balou21 said:

I got admitted in their speech language pathology program masters program! I received a short list of apartments once I accepted my spot, but it was not much help and I'm still in the process of finding somewhere to live. Do you know of any online groups that could connect us to other admitted students? 

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. No, I don't know anyone or any online student groups, which was why i was so worried. I'll keep looking and let you know if i come across something. 

I am an international student, so right now my biggest worry is getting my Visa done. Hope fully this COVID-19 situation will stabilize before June at least. 

Please let me know if you come across any housing or some related postings. 

Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

@Su08 this is the main Facebook group I mentioned earlier. UC Housing: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1556851254580140/, under "University of Cincinnati (UC) Housing, Sublets & Roommates". Good luck with finding housing, and good luck with the visa process as well! 

P.S.: Since you are an international student, look out for IPALs events via the UC International emails (student volunteers with UC International). I'm an IPAL myself, and many people I know have made lifelong friends through international retreats! 

On 4/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, Phoenix88 said:

@Su08 this is the main Facebook group I mentioned earlier. UC Housing: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1556851254580140/, under "University of Cincinnati (UC) Housing, Sublets & Roommates". Good luck with finding housing, and good luck with the visa process as well! 

P.S.: Since you are an international student, look out for IPALs events via the UC International emails (student volunteers with UC International). I'm an IPAL myself, and many people I know have made lifelong friends through international retreats! 

Hi

Thanks for the link. I did join it. 

I was wondering if you have any input about the area immediately south to the med campus? Like Euclid square, stetson square, Burnet avenue and those places? I know they are walking distance but are they generally a safe area? All I am concerned is about the safety of the area so any opinion is appreciated. And is there some location which grad students prefer more than the rest because of the convinience?

Thank you 

11 hours ago, Su08 said:

Hi

Thanks for the link. I did join it. 

I was wondering if you have any input about the area immediately south to the med campus? Like Euclid square, stetson square, Burnet avenue and those places? I know they are walking distance but are they generally a safe area? All I am concerned is about the safety of the area so any opinion is appreciated. And is there some location which grad students prefer more than the rest because of the convinience?

Thank you 

@Su08 Since you said that you were a molecular biology student, I do think that that would be a good pick for you to live near med campus, as I do think that most of your classes/labs/etc would be there. Burnet Avenue is ok, but not the best considering the Avondale/Corryville area converge there and there is still crime in the area. I know Stetson and Euclid are normally more students, so it is a bit safer, but I think Stetson is the safest of all the places you listed and it is literally across the street from med campus. 

Depending on your preference, many graduate students live on Jefferson/Ludlow, which is also walking distance from med campus (or a long ride on the shuttle, as it goes in the other direction, and back around, but it is still helpful in the rain and snow). There is a smaller grocery store there, an Indian grocery store, a natural food store, convenience stores, several restaurants of different types, coffee shops, a small park, ice cream places, and a movie theater. So it is a really nice place to live, and just relax when you aren't on campus. A large number of grad students live in this area, so it may be easier to connect with people here. 

1 hour ago, Phoenix88 said:

@Su08 Since you said that you were a molecular biology student, I do think that that would be a good pick for you to live near med campus, as I do think that most of your classes/labs/etc would be there. Burnet Avenue is ok, but not the best considering the Avondale/Corryville area converge there and there is still crime in the area. I know Stetson and Euclid are normally more students, so it is a bit safer, but I think Stetson is the safest of all the places you listed and it is literally across the street from med campus. 

Depending on your preference, many graduate students live on Jefferson/Ludlow, which is also walking distance from med campus (or a long ride on the shuttle, as it goes in the other direction, and back around, but it is still helpful in the rain and snow). There is a smaller grocery store there, an Indian grocery store, a natural food store, convenience stores, several restaurants of different types, coffee shops, a small park, ice cream places, and a movie theater. So it is a really nice place to live, and just relax when you aren't on campus. A large number of grad students live in this area, so it may be easier to connect with people here. 

Thank you for your suggestions. It was really helpful. I'm trying to look at places near Jefferson/Ludlow but I mostly getting choices near Euclid and Burnet. Whatever is available for the 2020 academic year. Thank you though. 

Would you mind if I message you if I have any question in the future?

@Su08 Feel free to message me! No worries, and good luck! It can be hard to find spots exactly where you want to live sometimes. 

I know how intimidating it can be to move to another country (as I've done it twice!), so I am glad you are reaching out for help before moving to Cincy!

Edited by Phoenix88

• 1 year later...

Hihi! I'm an international student who got accepted at the University of Cincinnati. Would love to hear more from folks living there, or planning to go there this Fall.