If I knew then what I know now...

Sonic

• 2 weeks later...

I would have given myself enough time to take the GRE a second time. I ended up not needing it, but I really wanted to take it again but couldn't. Take the GRE early.

Yes, at the bold! And, I mean early as in the beginning of your junior year. 

I don't care what anyone says, senior year is the most challenging because many often become stuck in deciding about what do in life. This can be debating about work,more schooling, internships/volunteer, marriage, etc. I also dealt taking classes fives a week (10AM-4PM, mid-terms and finals as well) , balancing a job, and studying for the GRE. I ultimately suffered and it was a near overkill. Now, I am just working with what I have. 

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Start on your SOP EARLY. There is no such thing as "too early." Start writing a rough draft the summer before you apply and research the professors from each of the schools you're applying to so that you can mention it in your SOP. Show interest. Don't do a "blanket" SOP for all your schools. The rough draft will go through a lot of revisions. Have a professor read over it. Do this early so that they can give you feedback without the pressure around peak time (October-December). My SOP went through many revisions before I submitted it. When I was done, it looked nothing like the original I wrote 7-8 months ago,which is a good thing. People usually make the mistake to wait and push it off until September or during "Thanksgiving break" to write it and always end up panicking to get it done on time. As a result, the SOP end up sounding like...........................................well, last.minuit. The SOP is important. I can't say this enough. Take your time, sit down, write it like you mean it. Professors can see through the b.s.

Good luck guys :)

Edited by toad0904

I didn't know I could have met some professors in person and have a preliminary talk in order to boost my chance of admission until someone told me I could do so recently. 

Most of the things I wish I had done differently were from way back in the day as a young undergrad. The things I messed up on during the actual admissions cycle were due to lack of energy/concentration (following a huge life disaster), so I'm not sure I would have been able to do them differently even if I wanted to. Here's my advice:

1. Do an honors thesis, or some other form of research. I feel so much more prepared and qualified having done my own independent research study, and I'm sure my applications reflected that. It was also a great way for me to get to know professors, since I'm incredibly socially awkward and had the hardest time just popping in for office hours.

2. Find a way to talk to professors high up on the totem pole. I personally hate how much reputation is valued in academia, but it's the way things are. When I was trying to find LORs, I realized all of the professors I was in contact with were actually only lecturers or assistant professors or whatever. One of my LORs did not want to write a letter for me because he thought his lack of prestige would hurt my profile. Obviously it's better to have ties with an assistant professor in your field than some famous tenured professor who knows nothing about your topic, but still.

3. Try to get published and go to conferences. It was only after I applied that I found out these things are expected nowadays. I didn't even know conferences were a thing that undergrads could and should go to.

4. Start looking at schools' requirements early. I had zero idea that I needed to know a language, for example, and now I'm scrambling to learn one.

5. Read posts on thegradcafe. Congratulations, you're already doing it! I found this website after I applied. I pretty much went through the whole application process alone. I got a little bit of guidance from a few professors, but honestly they didn't give me much specific, constructive advice. If you're here, you have access to so much knowledge and advice about what you can do to improve your application.

6. Be honest, both with programs and with yourself. Even though I have pretty stellar numbers (4.0 GPA, great GRE scores), I've been rejected from most of the schools I applied to. I applied to programs and schools I wasn't a great cultural or research fit with, just because I felt like I "should" have. I was more concerned about being a good student than about finding a program that suited ME. I think I included just enough of my weird interests to turn away the more mainstream folks, but not enough to really engage the other weirdos who would want to work with me. I wish I would have trusted myself more and just gone for it, instead of being wishy-washy and trying to force myself into a mold that I clearly do not fit. I would advise that you write truthfully, because even if you're more likely to get into a program with a fake/generic SOP (which you're not), you'll probably hate the program once you get there.

7. Be gentle with yourself. Despite the things I listed here that I messed up on, I think my biggest hindrance was out of my control. Your self worth is not tied to how many programs you get accepted to, or how prestigious your school is. Things will work themselves out.

5) It's not necessarily to contact professors beforehand. It's sometimes useful to do so however, to see if a professor's interest in a particular area not necessarily listed online. Also useful to see if prof is taking new students. Completely optional though, just make it clear who you want to work with in your ststament.

I just have to say that this part is terrible advice.  There are some departments (ex: Mine) that will barely glance at your application if you haven't contacted a professor.  It does not state that it is a requirement on the website.  And both of the places I was rejected last year were places where I did not reach out to a professor.

So for anyone reading these in the future, a lot of this advice is program and department specific.  Another example: Very few departments in my field interview whereas other fields are extremely interview heavy.  Just keep that in mind...

I just have to say that this part is terrible advice. There are some departments (ex: Mine) that will barely glance at your application if you haven't contacted a professor. It does not state that it is a requirement on the website. And both of the places I was rejected last year were places where I did not reach out to a professor.

So for anyone reading these in the future, a lot of this advice is program and department specific. Another example: Very few departments in my field interview whereas other fields are extremely interview heavy. Just keep that in mind...

It is very field dependent I guess. I didn't contact professors and have 6 interviews and 1 acceptance so far. My current PI told me to avoid emailing because it annoys professors. I followed the advice it worked well for me.

It is very field dependent I guess. I didn't contact professors and have 6 interviews and 1 acceptance so far. My current PI told me to avoid emailing because it annoys professors. I followed the advice it worked well for me.

I agree, I think it's dependent on field. But even if you are in a field where it's common to make contact with POIs beforehand I don't think it makes a gigantic difference. I contacted someone at 6 of 8 schools and I still got interviews at the 2 places I didn't contact beforehand.

I started off my SOP with a classic "boy [girl] genius" intro. Probably would have scrapped that and played the adversity angle better (no computer science in my high school) like I did for the NSF. 

Also maybe would have scrapped a couple schools I applied to that weren't good research fits and gone a little further down the rankings to find a couple more schools that are good research fits. Though I am very happy with one school I've already been admitted to. 

I also didn't get rejected from any schools at which I knew the professors well before applying, so I would have tried to forge personal connections at more schools. Which is awkward, but I think it's part of the game. 

I just don't want someone in the future reading that and choosing to not contact professors when they really should be.  It is most definitely field and department dependent.  Some programs will specify on their website that you need to contact a POI.  Other programs don't specify but secretly require it.  Some don't require it all because the POI's have no say in who is admitted. 

It's so hard to give advice on that aspect because departments vary so greatly. 

But even if you are in a field where it's common to make contact with POIs beforehand I don't think it makes a gigantic difference.

But sometimes it makes the biggest difference like I was saying about my department.  There were really stellar students that were rejected from my department this year simply because they didn't contact a POI before they applied.  I know because the graduate advisor told me.  I had no idea they placed so much emphasis on contacting POIs!

Edited by geographyrocks

I just don't want someone in the future reading that and choosing to not contact professors when they really should be. It is most definitely field and department dependent. Some programs will specify on their website that you need to contact a POI. Other programs don't specify but secretly require it. Some don't require it all because the POI's have no say in who is admitted.

It's so hard to give advice on that aspect because departments vary so greatly.

!

I guess the take away message for future applicants would be:

1) if in doubt, contact PIs with a short email... It can't hurt and could potentially help a lot

2) if you are worried about annoying PIs as I was then it might be a good idea to ask the department secretary if they recommend contacting PIs. They will know whether it is normal in that department.

Not contacting worked out well for me but rotations are common in my field so you don't come in with a designated PI already. Even still, I doubt it would have hurt anything to contact people and it could have helped. I may have reached out to more PIs if I had more time. Writing those types of emails are very time consuming because you need to comment intelligently on their work and I get paranoid and reread the email 100 times. I agree that it might be very important for some departments.

If I knew then what I know now...

I wouldn't have applied to as many programs as I did lol. Seriously I think I hurt some other students' chances at admissions at other universities which I claimed as my backups or safeties. Really the takeaway from this experience is not to have too little faith in yourself.

--

For some programs, faculty who have no decision in admissions can still send a recommendation letter to their respective department. It really does help to contact a POI at that particular school and show interest in them. I contacted mine after the application process to indicate beforehand that I was already serious in that department, and so that they would have a complete profile of me in their department database.

Seriously I think I hurt some other students' chances at admissions at other universities which I claimed as my backups or safeties.

I doubt you hurt other students' chances by applying to several schools - in most cases there are waitlisted students who will be offered a place once others decline their offers. Universities are well aware and prepared for the fact that prospective students may have multiple offers. I do think it's good though, to withdraw your applications to other places once you have decided where you will be going as it makes the process more efficient for these places.

I doubt you hurt other students' chances by applying to several schools - in most cases there are waitlisted students who will be offered a place once others decline their offers. Universities are well aware and prepared for the fact that prospective students may have multiple offers. I do think it's good though, to withdraw your applications to other places once you have decided where you will be going as it makes the process more efficient for these places.

Yes, but it still feels like stealing someone else's chances. For example, if I decline at the last minute they might not get in. For this reason I've decided to try to make my decision very shortly after my last visit so that other people can have a chance for the places where I got in but didn't want to go.... :/

Yes, but it still feels like stealing someone else's chances. For example, if I decline at the last minute they might not get in. For this reason I've decided to try to make my decision very shortly after my last visit so that other people can have a chance for the places where I got in but didn't want to go.... :/

You're not stealing someone's chances. This is how the process works and universities expect this. If you are certain that you will not go to a school then you should certainly decline the offer as soon as you can. If you need some time to think through your options then you should take it though. It is a very important decision that could have a large effect on your career.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I probably would have started studying for the GRE a lot earlier -- maybe the year before I knew I was going to take it. By the time I was satisfied at where my practice scores were, I only had one chance to complete an actual exam before January applications were due. Ending up with a respectable 166/160/4.0 was nice, but I think I'll probably end up taking it again when I apply for Ph.D. programs in a couple years.

I also would have started preparing my personal statements, statements of purpose, and statements of intent a lot sooner. I think I'll start writing the batch that I intend to use in 2017 right now.

I guess that what I've learned so far is that there is no such thing preparation too far in advance.

• 1 month later...

Great thread!! I wish I have seen this before I started my applications!! 

Besides the  "no such thing as safety school" "Fit is the best way to increase your chances, don't apply to schools where none of the faculty is doing research of your interest" (and to this I would add "don't apply to schools where only ONE faculty is doing what you are interested in" -unless that faculty has showed interest in you) and "don't apply to schools you don't want to go -because of the city or the school itself" or "don't rely on school ranking". 

If I knew then what I know now....

I would have applied to more private schools.

As a foreign applicant to US schools, I did not realize how relevant the funding issue was for international applicants!! I got rejected to every single Public School and the main reason I was given (when given) was funding. I found out that most of the schools I applied to only take one or two international students per year and none of them posted such relevant piece of information on the program's website. Some schools post that information but some others don't. Unfortunately, the ones I applied to did not stated anything like that. 

This is, of course, a generalization and should not be taken as if carved on stone. Many public schools have enough funding to take international students, but my advice would be to apply to public and private schools in a balanced way ;) Out of my 10 applications, only 2 were private schools!

I disagree with people saying that applying to, say, 10 programs will hurt your chances. I only got asked where I was applying to in 3 of my 10 applications. And in the 3 of them I just answered with 5 names (out of laziness, not to be secretive). 

I also disagree with people offering advice about not worrying about GRE or GPA. I used to be very vocal about the poor value of GRE as predictor of grad school success. I still mantain that GRE is a useless way to measure research and grad school sucess. BUT, when it comes to grad school applications, it is part of your entire application package and the better your scores, the higher your chances, whether the schools claims to be reviewing your files as a whole, this is, somewhat bullshit in most cases. If you got mediocre scores in your GRE (or in one of the components that happens to be of relevance to your field) somebody with better scores will likely take your place.  With this I am not saying that an average or poor GRE score will ruin your, otherwise, brilliant application, but unless you really have an impressive CV, great GPA and LORs, a poor GRE will be something that will put you in disadvantage. Also, a good GRE could compensate for other small faults in your application. So, study with plenty of time in advance for your GRE. As somebody said in this same thread before: GRE will not help you, but will certainly kill you (if bad).

If I new then what I know now, I would have only applied to one school. The one I got in!!!! :D (and saved lots of money).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I may have several posts as I learn more but right now, I wish I had known that it is absolutely essential in my field to have about 2 years of experience working in a human neuroscience lab. This is doubly true if you are coming from a non-neuro undergrad major, and triple if your background is in a social-ish science (like Education).

Had I known, I would have started as a sophomore or junior at my undergrad college, these labs existed, I just didn't know I needed to get into one. I was working in a cognition lab, running my own studies (I've done 2 now start to finish), and even managing fairly large lab... However the crux of the experience thing is very much that I needed work on human imaging projects... nothing else will do. Had anyone told me this I could have saved 4 or 5 years.

I actually got the advice from a "mentor" of mine, not to focus on methods so much because those are things you pick up in whatever lab you start in. Wish I had ignored like 85% of everything that guy said *sigh* hind sight.

Second, if I could advise my younger self I would tell me that the marriage is not going to get better... ever... And to not get bogged down in homeownership and other things people expected of me then.

I'm sure there's tons more, but that work experience thing... I have trouble believing that no one told me eventhough I asked... I had to actually sit down with a researcher at a conference and chat with him and push the issue to get a straight answer out of him. ... ... ... why is it such a secret?

• 4 months later...

1) Majored in statistics--or actually do an Applied Stats BSc, since my undergrad institution had a concentration on the social sciences for it

2) Computer science--my field is moving in these directions: neuroscience and big data/computation. While I'm at a school that has the former, I would have to try to collaborate with people who have disparate interests, so I'm focusing on the latter since that's a skill I could reasonably learn as I progress through my MSc to my PhD.

I could have literally done both along with Psychology since my psych requirements weren't that strenuous 

At the very least, I am forced into two years of a MSc degree before going into my PhD since that's how most Canadian psych programs (and the one at my school) is structured, allowing me to address those two points above. I definitely have a plan for becoming more statistically competent in terms of my course work by the time I enter the PhD portion of my program...the latter is something I have to work on myself since I can't integrate it into my coursework (the only overlap would be learning R or Python as a programming language). This is going to be a very interesting two years for me, and I hope that I'll come out of it with a good base knowledge for my PhD.

Edited by Oshawott

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you are going to visit a program far before results, ask yourself if you can handle a 6-month wait for results and a waitlist/rejection at your first choice. I visited Baylor in October, fell in love and then was waitlisted in March. It was extremely difficult to get waitlisted at a place I had already visited, picked out an apartments, and had potential advisors.  I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by not visiting. 

Also keep you mind open and don't rank places you haven't visited or been accepted too.  Chances are you won't get in everywhere so don't waste you time.

Do not make a decision right away.

Take your time choosing and visit waitlisted schools too. Also, Waitlisted is not the same as rejected, so visit the school and don’t be afraid to ask how high/low you are on the list. If possible, don’t make a decision until each university has responded with a Yes or No. 

And if you do accept an offer, decline the others immediately Don’t wait till “you get a break,”’or “till tomorrow.” Do it as soon as possible 

For context, I was waitlisted for my number one school. But accepted at another. Once I visited the university I was accepted to, I loved it and the faculty so much , I accepted thier offer the following weekend. I even paid a deposit on an apartment. I didn’t have much faith in my waitlisted position. I then wrote a quick draft of my declining statement, believing that I could proof read it the next morning and send it. When I opened my email the next morning, I was greeted to 3 emails saying that I was taken off the waitlist for my #1 school and offered funding. The director also called to congratulate me and said that I was actually first on thier waitlist. This was just one day after I accepted another offer. If I had known how high I was on the waitlist, I would not have made my decision so soon. It’s been weeks and I still don’t know whether to fulfill my promise to the school I’ve already accepted or tell them I’ve changed my mind and go to another school. All of this could have been avoided if I had just taken my time. 

Dont commit to any school until at least April 1st. 

• 2 months later...

I wish I had known that GRE's don't really mean much, even for highly ranked programs.

I was aiming for a set score to make up for my transition from social sciences to STEM, so retook it a second time and scored exactly the same, and actually lower on AW. I wasted that time and money, which could have been dedicated to other things like my applications, my actual job, or even my hobbies.

Applied to three schools (not that rankings matter, but to emphasize my point on GREs not meaning the world, one was  ranked top 10, one is in the top 5) and somehow was still admitted with varying levels of funding from 25% to 100% at all programs. I honestly now think SOP (how your research interests fit with the program), and strong, diverse letters of rec matter the most. 

Also wished I applied to some fellowships prior, even if i wasnt confident, to at least try to see if additional funding was possible.