ASHA required science courses

leesta

Hey everyone,

I'm currently a postbacc student trying to get all my ASHA required science courses out of the way before grad school begins, but it's confusing since there's a lot of different courses available. I took stats, so the math requirement's done (thank God biggrin.gif). For behavioral sciences, is it usually one or two courses required? And for biological and physical sciences, is any course under the bio or chem department okay or do I need a course with a lab?

I know different grad programs have different requirements, but I was wondering what the general trend is. What are the requirements for your program?

Thanks everyone.

I'm coming into the field from a different background as well. I think most schools, and ASHA, just want 1 course in biology (of some sort), 1 course in physics, 1 course in math (statistics is usually required at schools), and I think possibly one course in child psychology (but that might be more of a school-based requirement.) But do check your schools and see what they require. Some require more like 2 classes in each of these areas, and some required only one. As for with/without lab requirement or physical/bio requirement, check with your schools since that varies. But I think physics is the main physical science ASHA likes to see on your transcript when it comes time to qualify for liscensure. (That's for the courses outside of the SLP curriculum directly...I'm assuming that's what you were asking about.)

From what I was told it needed to be a class with a lab. I was under the impression that most bio/chem/physics classes had labs already built into them..maybe I lucked out and that only applied for the school I went too. I'm a post-bacc too by the way and after almost two years of classes I still need a few more requirements

Thanks for the reply guys. The thing is, I'm applying for this upcoming cycle so I don't know which program I'll be at... that's why I was wondering what the general trend is.

sls144 - I thought so too, but the summer class I'm debating about has an optional lab... weird, I guess some out there are like that. I'm also nearing the two-year mark for my postbacc as well with 3 more classes left! Ugh :(

• 2 weeks later...

It definitely varies by program, and it's the program that decides which of your classes count, not ASHA.

I thought I had to take a bio course and Stats this summer, but my grad program is counting my biological anthropology course (did not have a lab) as my biological science requirement, and they take any non-remedial math class. They said my College Algebra course counts, and they don't require Stats. I might still take Stats anyway, but was really surprised that they didn't require it. I will not be taking a bio class this summer.

Check with the top 2-4 schools that you're interested in and see what they say. Then aim for their requirements. You might still have to take a class next summer depending on the program, but that's not so bad.