Davis, CA

Hmmm thank you. That is useful information. I went to undergrad in a town that is often compared to Davis and in my second second quarter I was able to find a studio for $650 that included utilities. It was sheer luck. I'm hoping I can find something like that, but I have a feeling I'll have to actually be in Davis and keep my ear to the ground for a while.

Do you think cost or convenience is better? My family lives 25 miles away from Davis, so I have the option of moving back home and commuting over the causeway. My program isn't funded (MA/teaching credential), so I would save a lot of money this way. But I'm concerned about the commute traffic driving me nuts and my family being distracting. Living in Davis would be much more ideal but I would have to take out extra loans to do so. Any current commuters or unfunded students with insight?

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone offer specific advice on places to avoid or target for decent family-friendly housing? Daviswiki seems very helpful for students, whereas I'm actively looking for something that has NOT been primarily full of students. I'm ok with being "far" from campus, as long as it's in the Davis school district. I want a place that is appropriate for adults raising children, nowhere near undergraduate havens, nowhere near trailer parks with high crime rates. I'm a homeowner who has been on the other side of a rental situation, and I'm really interested in finding a nice, clean, well-maintained home (and keeping it that way) while having a respectful relationship with someone who understands that my husband and I are functioning adults (and treats us that way). Is this a pipe dream in Davis? After an entire evening of reading housing reviews on Daviswiki, I'm starting to fear that it is. If you have any insights, suggestions, advice, please let me know. Thanks!

tl; dr - where would a professor live if s/he didn't want to buy?

Edited by mmorrison

This is some information about graduate housing that i posted in the meet and greet thread

For anyone looking for housing, the new graduate housing complex is currently leasing rooms for 2014-2015. It is about $632 a month for unfurnished rooms, $650 for furnished. The signing fee is $200 plus a $25 application fee. The complex is about a 10-15 minute bike ride to the UC Davis campus and is located along the bus route. It is pretty close to Trader Joes as well.http://www.housing.ucdavis.edu/housing/apartments-8th-and-wake.asp

Trader Joe's is at the university mall, which is in central Davis. The apartment complex is 0.4 miles from the university mall and 1.4 miles from the Davis campus.

For anyone who didn't find their way to the website, here are the amenities:

8th and Wake will be leased by bedroom with both furnished and unfurnished options. Each unit will house four Graduate Students across 4 bedrooms and 2 bathroom. All units include a washer and dryer, dishwasher, garbage disposal, refrigerator, microwave, granite counters, and living room and kitchen furniture.It also has a study lounge with free wifi, conference rooms, community computers and printing, energy efficient appliances, and is located along the c bus line to the campus.

When i was touring the complex, the leasing agent said that the walls had sound beams(or something like that) which disperse sound.

You can request specific roommates when you sign the lease. The apartment application also has you list preferences, such as same or mixed gender apartments, which room you want (a,b,c,d configuration), and which floor you prefer. There might have been a few other things, but i pretty much had no preference. However, the application is not that extensive, so if you had any particular preferences you would have to ask the leasing office. Before I signed the lease the agent selected an apartment and room for me.

I should add that for a limited time they are offering signing bonuses. For me, the leasing agent waived the $18 a month fee for the furnished room. I also got an email yesterday from my graduate coordinator saying that they were offering $100 off the first months rent for leases signed before June 1, although that might only be for those who come in with a referral.

Edited by spellbanisher

I just finished the leasing process on an apartment in Davis with a girl from my cohort. I feel pretty confident about the location. I don't know much about houses but feel free to pm me if you'd be ok with a 2-3 bedroom apartment.

Edited by Maleficent999

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

I will be attending UC Davis for graduate school this coming Fall, and I would like to know a little bit about the traffic in the Davis/Sacramento area?  I'm coming from the Orange County area, so I've had my fair share of bad commuter traffic - especially the drive from the 405 back home every weekday.  Is the freeway rush hour traffic usually something like a gridlock, or is it more of a slowed down pace where everybody is going about 20-40 mph?  I will be commuting between my on-campus housing and the Shriners Hospital in Sacramento during the weekdays and I would like some insight on how bad traffic can get.  Thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

I will be attending UC Davis for graduate school this coming Fall, and I would like to know a little bit about the traffic in the Davis/Sacramento area?  I'm coming from the Orange County area, so I've had my fair share of bad commuter traffic - especially the drive from the 405 back home every weekday.  Is the freeway rush hour traffic usually something like a gridlock, or is it more of a slowed down pace where everybody is going about 20-40 mph?  I will be commuting between my on-campus housing and the Shriners Hospital in Sacramento during the weekdays and I would like some insight on how bad traffic can get.  Thanks in advance!

I can't comment on the morning traffic, but whenever i've driven in the evening rush hour traffic it was more like 20-40 than gridlock.

Edited by spellbanisher

I can't comment on the morning traffic, but whenever i've driven in the evening rush hour traffic it was more like 20-40 than gridlock.

Okay, that does give me some insight on what it's like.  Don't worry too much about the morning traffic because chances are I'll be on campus taking my classes.  Thanks!  It seems like I won't be sitting in my car for 45 minutes to an hour just to get back home from the Shriners' Hospital everyday. :D

Okay, that does give me some insight on what it's like. Don't worry too much about the morning traffic because chances are I'll be on campus taking my classes. Thanks! It seems like I won't be sitting in my car for 45 minutes to an hour just to get back home from the Shriners' Hospital everyday. :D

Shriner's hospital is about 20 miles from Davis, so at 20-40mph it would take you 30-60 minutes to get home. Certain areas are also more congested than others. Things could get gridlocked around the i-80 junction, but once you get past the causeway traffic speeds up. If leaving during rush hour, expect a 30-45 minute commute. Edited by spellbanisher

I was staying in Sacramento during my visiting day. The events ended around 5pm and that's when I headed back to Sac. The traffic was pretty terrible. It took me an hour to get from UC Davis to midtown. If you can help it, leave earlier or later than rush hour.

Shriner's hospital is about 20 miles from Davis, so at 20-40mph it would take you 30-60 minutes to get home. Certain areas are also more congested than others. Things could get gridlocked around the i-80 junction, but once you get past the causeway traffic speeds up. If leaving during rush hour, expect a 30-45 minute commute.

I was staying in Sacramento during my visiting day. The events ended around 5pm and that's when I headed back to Sac. The traffic was pretty terrible. It took me an hour to get from UC Davis to midtown. If you can help it, leave earlier or later than rush hour.

Alright, that gives me an even better idea of the traffic situation.  I'll definitely do what I can to leave either before or after the main rush hour.  Thanks guys!

Can anyone offer specific advice on places to avoid or target for decent family-friendly housing? Daviswiki seems very helpful for students, whereas I'm actively looking for something that has NOT been primarily full of students. I'm ok with being "far" from campus, as long as it's in the Davis school district. I want a place that is appropriate for adults raising children, nowhere near undergraduate havens, nowhere near trailer parks with high crime rates. I'm a homeowner who has been on the other side of a rental situation, and I'm really interested in finding a nice, clean, well-maintained home (and keeping it that way) while having a respectful relationship with someone who understands that my husband and I are functioning adults (and treats us that way). Is this a pipe dream in Davis? After an entire evening of reading housing reviews on Daviswiki, I'm starting to fear that it is. If you have any insights, suggestions, advice, please let me know. Thanks!

Davis is small with just over 60K residents.  The city itself exists almost solely for the university but there are a good number of people who live in Davis who are not affiliated with the university in any way; people who work in Sacramento, Folsom, or perhaps Roseville but do not want to deal with the crime or grime of "the city".  Your post is rather passive-agressive.  If it is because of your concerns for living in a student ghetto, well, it is a college town first and foremost.  However, there are plenty of families in Davis and it is considered one of the more family-freindly cities in California.  If your attitude stems from your personality, then, you more-than-likely will not fit into the city and will end up hating it. 

Davis is one of the safest cities/suburbs in California.  Not only that, its crime index is lower than the national average.  To my knowledge there have only been 4 murders over the last 10 years and the #1 crime is theft (generally bicycles and laptops). With that, as to where to live, I'd suggest avoiding anything immediately around the university.  Davis does have Section 8 and a few complexes devoted to Section 8, but there is nothing that resembles "the projects" or "trailer park" with high crime rate (and yes, there is one trailer park that I know of just south of 80). 

An hour from Davis to Midtown seems a bit excessive but traffic can be bad.  It usually does not backup until you get to West Sac or so, mostly with people trying to merge onto 80 (80...80...if you continue straight you will be on Business 80 which turns into 50 if you were to continue on ahead.  If you ride in the right-hand lanes, but not the right-most, you will continue on B 80 which was renamed Capital City Freeway because non-locals seem to get the whole 80 80 thing confused.  If you remained in the right-most lane you will merge onto 99, which is the same freeway as 80/CCF...but on the south side of 80/50.  To me, and everyone else I know, it will always be simply 80.  By the way, at this 80/CCF/50 interchange, if you were to look behind you once you merged onto 80/CCF you will be looking at HWY 99..aka 99).  Just a bit of trivia. 

What route did you take?  I used to live in Midtown.  Personally, I would have exited on 15th and cut over.  Did you stay on 80 to N St. or H St.?  

Davis is small with just over 60K residents. The city itself exists almost solely for the university but there are a good number of people who live in Davis who are not affiliated with the university in any way; people who work in Sacramento, Folsom, or perhaps Roseville but do not want to deal with the crime or grime of "the city". Your post is rather passive-agressive. If it is because of your concerns for living in a student ghetto, well, it is a college town first and foremost. However, there are plenty of families in Davis and it is considered one of the more family-freindly cities in California. If your attitude stems from your personality, then, you more-than-likely will not fit into the city and will end up hating it.

Davis is one of the safest cities/suburbs in California. Not only that, its crime index is lower than the national average. To my knowledge there have only been 4 murders over the last 10 years and the #1 crime is theft (generally bicycles and laptops). With that, as to where to live, I'd suggest avoiding anything immediately around the university. Davis does have Section 8 and a few complexes devoted to Section 8, but there is nothing that resembles "the projects" or "trailer park" with high crime rate (and yes, there is one trailer park that I know of just south of 80).

An hour from Davis to Midtown seems a bit excessive but traffic can be bad. It usually does not backup until you get to West Sac or so, mostly with people trying to merge onto 80 (80...80...if you continue straight you will be on Business 80 which turns into 50 if you were to continue on ahead. If you ride in the right-hand lanes, but not the right-most, you will continue on B 80 which was renamed Capital City Freeway because non-locals seem to get the whole 80 80 thing confused. If you remained in the right-most lane you will merge onto 99, which is the same freeway as 80/CCF...but on the south side of 80/50. To me, and everyone else I know, it will always be simply 80. By the way, at this 80/CCF/50 interchange, if you were to look behind you once you merged onto 80/CCF you will be looking at HWY 99..aka 99). Just a bit of trivia.

What route did you take? I used to live in Midtown. Personally, I would have exited on 15th and cut over. Did you stay on 80 to N St. or H St.?

I'm not really familiar with the highways or streets yet. I just know the 99 because that's how I got to Sac haha. But basically I got on the 113 near UC Davis and traffic was backed up all the way from where the 113 turns into the 80 all the way into west sac. It cleared up once I got past west sac.

I agree, UC Davis seems like one of the safest places i've been, though I've mostly only lived in big cities. It certainly is no where near is as ghetto as where i am now.

I'd just say to avoid the area right next to campus (i.e. anywhere south of 8th and west of F) to avoid the close to campus scene. North Davis (specifically Alvarado Avenue and North Sycamore) is crawling with students, as is South Davis (off of Cowell). Olive Drive has the only trailer parks, and that's the only sketch area of Davis. Everywhere else is okay, I've noticed that far West, much of central, and East Davis are all family oriented areas. 

• 1 month later...

Haha DavisWiki is written by mostly undergraduates I believe, so it makes sense you would get that feeling. Houses downtown are often for rent, but are also often rented by students. If you look past L street, I believe there are a few quieter apartment complexes/houses, but I am not sure. I know a lot of families live at Parkside Apartments, but they are not necessarily college-student-free.

As a note, I think most of the crime actually lies in South Davis areas, so I suppose stay away from there. The best bet is probably somewhere in West Davis--mostly houses, few apartments. Very quiet due to the lack of students, but I am not sure about price, nor availability since I have never looked into renting a house there. You may have to find an agent for houses. I doubt there are too many parties out there, since it is very far from the downtown Bar scene, but don't hold me to it. There is an old person's home, and residential country clubs, so I would bet it is quiet and family friendly. Watch out for Saratoga and Portage Bay Apartments as I think those might be relatively popular with students.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha DavisWiki is written by mostly undergraduates I believe, so it makes sense you would get that feeling. Houses downtown are often for rent, but are also often rented by students. If you look past L street, I believe there are a few quieter apartment complexes/houses, but I am not sure. I know a lot of families live at Parkside Apartments, but they are not necessarily college-student-free.

As a note, I think most of the crime actually lies in South Davis areas, so I suppose stay away from there. The best bet is probably somewhere in West Davis--mostly houses, few apartments. Very quiet due to the lack of students, but I am not sure about price, nor availability since I have never looked into renting a house there. You may have to find an agent for houses. I doubt there are too many parties out there, since it is very far from the downtown Bar scene, but don't hold me to it. There is an old person's home, and residential country clubs, so I would bet it is quiet and family friendly. Watch out for Saratoga and Portage Bay Apartments as I think those might be relatively popular with students.

Yeah, I would agree with living over at West Davis if you want to be away from the college students.  I remember heading over to the program chair's home for dinner during my interview weekend.  It was located in West Davis, and from what I can recall I noticed that that area was mainly residential, quiet, and family-friendly.  The neighborhood I was in was definitely mellow and I could imagine it being filled with families with children.  I don't think you would be seeing a lot of students around that area since most of the bars and other places students tend to go to are located in downtown.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Anybody else thinking about going to Davis? I'll be taking a visit out there in March

I'm happy to chat if you have any questions! I lived in Davis as an undergrad from 2006-2010. 

Hey guys, current UC Davis student here. The good/ cheap places open up and get taken very fast so you have to look diligently. I just signed a two bedroom for 810 each ~ .5 miles from downtown. Really downtown isn't that noisy, its not like downtown in other places. The current place i'm living is 650 a month, and is a 4 bedroom, and thats ~1.5 miles from south campus (where my building is) by the trader joes on sycamore. 

Really, prices are pretty homogenous, but the further away from markets ect the cheaper it will be. I suggest South Davis as the cheapest place that isn't ghetto (i guess no where is really that ghetto, but east davis is kinda meh). 

Anyway, lemme know if you guys have any questions.

I live comfortably on 18000 (after taxes), but thats only 9 months, and I have summer funding at the same rate. I'd say 15k on 9 months is doable, but you wont be saving much. Its also important to note that I don't have a car, I bike everywhere. Renting a car from enterprise is really cheap on the weekends (10 dollars a day with a 100 mile limit). I suggest not owning a car unless you absolutely have to have one.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have almost zeroed in on Davis as my next destination. PhD in English. I was going through Daviswiki, trying to find info on apartments but it seems like too much information, and mostly focused on undergrads. I wanted, either a studio or a furnished one bedroom (with a personal bathroom), really really quiet. Davis looks like a pretty safe area, so no concerns there; and cute, small and artsy is something I'd love, but I was wondering 1. when should I start looking for apartments? 2. would I get something like what I want under 700-800? 3. Is it possible to stretch 18500 for 12 months in Davis? My costs are low usually, and I am a teetotaler, and 4. how to start looking for an apartment, sitting 2 oceans away from Davis. Also, how welcoming are the people in the city? As an international student with an ethnicity that differs from that of most of the town residents, I was just slightly apprehensive. How is the campus housing? Would that be worth exploring?

Edited by NotSpyderman

Hi everyone,

I have almost zeroed in on Davis as my next destination. PhD in English. I was going through Daviswiki, trying to find info on apartments but it seems like too much information, and mostly focused on undergrads. I wanted, either a studio or a furnished one bedroom (with a personal bathroom), really really quiet. Davis looks like a pretty safe area, so no concerns there; and cute, small and artsy is something I'd love, but I was wondering 1. when should I start looking for apartments? 2. would I get something like what I want under 700-800? 3. Is it possible to stretch 18500 for 12 months in Davis? My costs are low usually, and I am a teetotaler, and 4. how to start looking for an apartment, sitting 2 oceans away from Davis. Also, how welcoming are the people in the city? As an international student with an ethnicity that differs from that of most of the town residents, I was just slightly apprehensive. How is the campus housing? Would that be worth exploring?

You will not find a studio or single bedroom for 800 dollars a month in davis. They usually go for around 1-1.2k a month. Davis is expensive. I live in a furnished 4 bedroom 2 bath and pay 650 a month + utilities. The housing market in davis is impacted and good ones go fast... me and my friend just signed a lease for september 2015 a month ago for a 2 bedroom 2 bath, we are paying 810 a month. Thats a little on the expensive side, but that isn't even furnished. Your best bed is craigslist or places that call themselves university housing. Anyway, I suggest looking and signing ASAP.

If you don't own a car, getting by on ~1500 dollars a month is dooable. Lets say you pay 650 a month for rent. Then another 50 for cell phone. Then another 15 (split with roomates) for internet. Then another 15 for PGE (power gas electric). Then another 10 for water/trash. And then 250 a month for food. Thats ~1k. Living in davis without a car is very dooable, I don't own a car.

If you do own a car, you can live in west sac, which you can get a studio apartment for 6-700 dollars. Its about a 20 minute drive to campus.

There are a lot of different ethnicities in davis. You should not be worried, davis is one of the most friendly towns i've been in. 

You will not find a studio or single bedroom for 800 dollars a month in davis. They usually go for around 1-1.2k a month. Davis is expensive. I live in a furnished 4 bedroom 2 bath and pay 650 a month + utilities. The housing market in davis is impacted and good ones go fast... me and my friend just signed a lease for september 2015 a month ago for a 2 bedroom 2 bath, we are paying 810 a month. Thats a little on the expensive side, but that isn't even furnished. Your best bed is craigslist or places that call themselves university housing. Anyway, I suggest looking and signing ASAP.

If you don't own a car, getting by on ~1500 dollars a month is dooable. Lets say you pay 650 a month for rent. Then another 50 for cell phone. Then another 15 (split with roomates) for internet. Then another 15 for PGE (power gas electric). Then another 10 for water/trash. And then 250 a month for food. Thats ~1k. Living in davis without a car is very dooable, I don't own a car.

If you do own a car, you can live in west sac, which you can get a studio apartment for 6-700 dollars. Its about a 20 minute drive to campus.

There are a lot of different ethnicities in davis. You should not be worried, davis is one of the most friendly towns i've been in. 

Thank you so much; that helps a lot. Do you personally suggest university housing stuff? Are the apartments any good? How is the milieu? Any idea?

P.S.: I am sorry if I ask pedestrian questions, but I am completely clueless, and slightly uneasy.