Boone, NC

tuuesday

Anybody ever live in Boone? Appalachian State University?

Going there for Grad school (Speech Path) and wondering your opinions on the Grad school, general area, climate, etc. I know there's a lot of outdoorsy things to do and hiking...but anything else I should know?

• 5 months later...

Hopefully you've learned a little bit since moving here! Boone is a small college town nestled in the heart of the High Country. The winters can be pretty brutal, so make sure you prepare your warm weather clothes. The wind is pretty rough and the snow is definitely a sight to see! I'm in undergrad here, but I was a part of the CSD school for my minor. CSD is a small school, but one of the best in the country. They're a super tight group of people, so you'll definitely have friends when you get here.

Everyone is generally nice, and super laid back. Bring your bike for the warmer months, but expect winter to last anywhere from October to April. I've loved my past 3.5 years in Boone and wouldn't change it for the world! Undergrad and grad aren't exclusive, so generally the schools are able to come together and work together. We're a football school, so Saturdays are generally filled with tailgating and football parties. It's free to go to the football games so that's a plus. A solid amount of snow days are to be expected. Love Boone, and go apps!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished an Appalachian Studies M.A. program at Appalachian and couldn't be happier. My first impression of Boone was not a favorable one, but I have really warmed up to this place since arriving here two and a half years ago. The locals are friendly, as are the most of the faculty and staff I've come into contact with at ASU.

Apartment rental prices are not bad compared to other places, but still overpriced for what you get. For the best deals, I suggest looking outside of the downtown area and areas immediately surrounding campus. Going west on 421 in the direction of Tennessee or north on 194 behind New Market Center will be your best bets for cheap rent. You might even be able to snag something right along the AppalCart bus route, which I highly suggest, especially if you are concerned about not having a vehicle and/or getting snowed in during the loooooong winters. Though small, Boone is a great, quiet place all in all. It is very walkable/bikeable. I would suggest alternative modes of transportation as the roads do get somewhat congested in the late afternoons and, especially, on football and heavy tourist weekends.

Don't expect much in the way of nightlife. In general, people seem to like to keep to themselves and do most of their hanging out at home/in the woods, away from campus/Boone, in general. The town of Boone doesn't have a very friendly policy as far as noise and such. There are a few bars in the downtown area and music shows do happen. Unless you are looking for old-time and bluegrass music, you might have to look harder for your entertainment. If old-time and bluegrass is what you love, you've come to the right place. Also, if you love hiking, camping, attending crafts and music festivals, and adventuring outdoors, this is the place for you. As a graduate student, you will probably feel pretty old and outnumbered by the 21 and under crowd that make up the majority of this campus and town's population. If you can deal with that, this is a great place to spend a couple relatively stress-free years in your mid-late twenties. Just bring snow boots, a heavy jacket, and the ability to deal with roaring winds and ice.

Edited by palmyra

• 4 months later...

Boone is an amazing place...I went there for undergrad. The winters are intense, but you'll get used to them quickly. Boone sort of has this amazing feel to it. Everyone is very nice and friendly. If you can stay there over the summer, it is beautiful.

• 2 years later...

Anyone still around on here that is living/has lived in Boone? I'm really looking into applying there for Spring admission for Speech Language Pathology, but I have some questions and would love some more info as a SoCal native who has never lived anywhere else (let alone visited the east coast). Reply here or send me a message, please and thank you! (: