Programs that do not require GRE?

Webster

Hey guys,

So heres the deal...I know 99.9% of schools require the GRE for admission into PhD programs. However, I have found several programs for Sociology MA that does not require GRE (Northern AZ, Northern CO, Wisc. Milwaukee, UMBC, NM St., etc.). I have a fairly negative view towards the GRE in that it does not measure a students capability to succeed in a graduate program whatsoever. I myself am not a good standardized test taker but an excellent student and would be a solid candidate for a Sociology grad program. Here is my question...as outlandish as it may be....and I'm sure the "Are you crazy?" answers will be pouting in.....but does anyone know any PhD programs that do not require the GRE for admission...or at least any that may admit you with a score below 1000? Thank you.

I'm gonna jump on that for one split second.

The GRE DOES have a statistically significant connection to graduate school. (wait for it).

Apparently the GRE does have a barely statistical relevance to predicting whether a student will success in the first year of graduate school. But only for that first year. I don't remember where on the Internet I read that, but it was a reputable place (not Pajama12Blog or something like that).

My suspicion is that the GRE's major utility is a negative one. That is, doing well is no indicator that you can cut it in grad school. However, doing badly is a pretty good indicator that you will do badly in grad school. Obviously, this would not always be the case, but I think the GRE's biggest use is similar to how companies won't look at resumes from people who only have high school degrees because they figure there's a significantly higher likelihood of the person not being able to conform to a corporate/business environment.

Hey guys,

So heres the deal...I know 99.9% of schools require the GRE for admission into PhD programs. However, I have found several programs for Sociology MA that does not require GRE (Northern AZ, Northern CO, Wisc. Milwaukee, UMBC, NM St., etc.). I have a fairly negative view towards the GRE in that it does not measure a students capability to succeed in a graduate program whatsoever. I myself am not a good standardized test taker but an excellent student and would be a solid candidate for a Sociology grad program. Here is my question...as outlandish as it may be....and I'm sure the "Are you crazy?" answers will be pouting in.....but does anyone know any PhD programs that do not require the GRE for admission...or at least any that may admit you with a score below 1000? Thank you.

• 10 months later...

No GRE scores are required for Phd in Philosophy : MIT, Cornell and John Hopkins

There a too many to name for psychology although they may not be APA accredited.

I haven't seen another others than the one's you mentioned for Sociology though, sorry

Here's the thing: i'm sure plenty of us on here would agree with you that how well one does on the GRE is not a very accurate reflection of a student's chances for success as a grad student. Doesn't matter. The test is all but a requirement for the pursuit of a PhD. And not to sound churlish, but if you attempt to get a PhD. or even an MA at a low-ranking university simply because they don't require their students to have taken the gre well then you're only hurting yourself and good luck finding a job afterwards.

I'm terrible at standardized tests and yet I've done my studying and will be taking the gre on Wednesday; probably bombing the quantitative section. But there's really no way around it. Take it, get it over with, and describe in your statement of purpose why you didn't do well--whose to say you won't do well? What's more important than finding ways around it is just taking the test and moving on to the much MUCH more important facets of your application: SOP, writing sample and recommendations.

Here is my question...as outlandish as it may be....and I'm sure the "Are you crazy?" answers will be pouting in.....but does anyone know any PhD programs that do not require the GRE for admission...or at least any that may admit you with a score below 1000?

I won't ask if you're crazy, I'll just say that in Europe the GRE is not mandatory. Soooo... if you don't mind studying abroad, you might want to look at universities in Germany, Netherlands, UK, etc. Even universities in Germany or the Netherlands offer some programs in English. However, they normally require that you already have a Masters. Some make exceptions though, and some offer combined Masters+PhD programs (these are usually 4-5 year programs).

• 2 years later...

I'm finishing an accredited, nationally-acclaimed, highly-ranked masters program at a state college that does not require any standardized test or entrance exam. Group papers were ubiquitous. I've worked with many people over the last two years. Half of them read and write at a highschool level or lower. I am not exaggerating. It makes me question the validity of school rankings. I doubt that these people would have passed the GRE.  I took the GRE. I did okay--not great, but my score was good enough to get into just about any program.

I think there needs to be some sort of pre-entrance assessment to ensure that people can do graduate-level work. If not the GRE or another standardized test, then some type of assessment. Or, boot people who can't perform. Admitting people who are incompetent and then piping them through the program with lenient grading and groupwork, while it may be job security for administrators and faculty, is unfair to those students who pull the groupwork load. It also contributes to the overproduction  that has diminished the value of advanced degrees.

There may be many programs that require GRE as a formallity, and I encourage you to apply to those places that look at students as a whole package.

I did horrible on GRE (150V/145Q/2A).  I don't test well either, especially with standardized tests.  The department that I applied to at UMich looks at the applicant as a whole picture, not just how they did on GRE.  One professor I interviewed with there basically told me the GRE is a load of crap and doesn't tell you anything about a students succes in grad school.

Best of luck!