Would this be enough?

Madmoony

Hello, everyone!

I am an international student, and I've decided to apply to a grad school in the USA, so naturally I have some questions, mainly about choosing universities to apply to. I know, I will be able to get good GRE results and I am sure I will have good LORs. The problem is that I have some concerns regarding my research experience and about how my undergraduate university might affect my addmitance to some universities.

About research: At the moment (and for the past four months) I am working at the Institute of Organic Synthesis of my country, which, I think is the place to be for organic chemists here (as you might have guess from this, organic chemistry is the field I am interested in :) ). But I don't know how much of what I am doing can really be counted as research. I am mostly just performing chemical reactions I am told to, without much other input, and will really be starting my own research - my undergrad thesis - in about a month. So I doubt i could be able to get my name on any publications by the time applications are due.

Would this amount and type of experience (it will be approx. 8-9 months when I apply) be enough?

And about my current university: While I think the teaching here is good and this is the best place for chemistry students in my country, there are probably very, very few in the USA who have even heard of it, and I don't know how much worth a good LOR from here would have.

Despite all that, I think I could be successful anywhere (and I intend to try fo some of the best universities), but I don't know if adcomms would think the same.

So what do you think I should do? Perhaps contact the schools I want to apply to and ask them if I'm not wasting both my time and theirs? :D

I am an international student, and I've decided to apply to a grad school in the USA, so naturally I have some questions, mainly about choosing universities to apply to. I know, I will be able to get good GRE results and I am sure I will have good LORs. The problem is that I have some concerns regarding my research experience and about how my undergraduate university might affect my addmitance to some universities.

You sure about the GRE? Anticipating a good score is not the same as getting a good score.

Would this amount and type of experience (it will be approx. 8-9 months when I apply) be enough?

Yes. With the caveat that, like always, it depends on how well you explain your role in the research, and the overall goal of the project. Even if you were just a drone in the lab, if you show that you understand the work thoroughly, you'll be in good shape.

And about my current university: While I think the teaching here is good and this is the best place for chemistry students in my country, there are probably very, very few in the USA who have even heard of it, and I don't know how much worth a good LOR from here would have.

There are probably very few people in the USA who have heard of my undergraduate institution. And I go to a school in the USA. You're in much better shape than I was, in terms of undergraduate reputation, since I'd assume faculty just ignore the name of a foreign university, if it's unknown to them, and judge applicants based on other factors (e.g., GRE Chemistry scores--make sure to get >850 to be competitive). For foreign students, it's important that the letter writers understand the American over-the-top positive style of writing letters of recommendation; makes a difference how your letter is interpreted--it's possible that a great foreign letter would be interpreted as middling by American professors unversed in the academic culture of the nation from which it originated.

Despite all that, I think I could be successful anywhere (and I intend to try fo some of the best universities), but I don't know if adcomms would think the same.

Lesson I learned from the application process: nobody cares (and it doesn't matter) what you think they think.

Perhaps contact the schools I want to apply to and ask them if I'm not wasting both my time and theirs?

Don't do this. American schools will undoubtedly strongly encourage you to apply without looking at your profile (they like the $). Spending time contacting faculty would be productive, though: http://science-profe...ing-to-me.html.

Good luck. Organic synthesis is a tough field. You like running columns all day/night? ;)

Edited by waddle

You sure about the GRE? Anticipating a good score is not the same as getting a good score.

Of course it is possible that I am overestimating myself, but, if the practice tests are an indication of what the real tests are like, with some preparing and practice, my scores should be good enough. :)

Yes. With the caveat that, like always, it depends on how well you explain your role in the research, and the overall goal of the project. Even if you were just a drone in the lab, if you show that you understand the work thoroughly, you'll be in good shape.

I guess it should be okay then. If there is one thing I really like about my lab, it is that the PI is really great, and he usually explains what we are doing and the concepts we are using.

Don't do this. American schools will undoubtedly strongly encourage you to apply without looking at your profile (they like the $). Spending time contacting faculty would be productive, though: http://science-profe...ing-to-me.html.

I had already decided to contact the members of faculty that I am interested in working with, but didn't really know what to write, so than you very much for that link! Also, when would be a good time to contact them?

Good luck. Organic synthesis is a tough field. You like running columns all day/night? ;)

I know it will be tough, but I don't care about that, as that is the part of chemistry I love the most :) And while running columns isn't the most exciting thing to do, it gets the job done (mostly) and there is an unlimited amount of worse things I could be doing as part of a career :D

Thank you for the advice :)

Just a note: Do you like synthesis, or do you like total synthesis?

Because total synthesis is a brutal, competitive and somewhat shrinking field.

But there are plenty of places you can do organic synthesis, just in a more directed approach with more applications. Something to think about.

Other than that, I'd say your stats look pretty good overall, although perhaps a bit light on the length of time spent with research- there's nothing you can do about that now, though.

I had already decided to contact the members of faculty that I am interested in working with, but didn't really know what to write, so than you very much for that link! Also, when would be a good time to contact them?

I've been wondering the same. But most people I've consulted told me to wait till Fall (Fall 2011, if applying for Fall 2012). They told me it's too early now and profs tend to forget, given the number of things they usually have on their minds. So I say start e-mailing them early fall so you would have time for some correspondence before application deadlines.

Good luck!

Just a note: Do you like synthesis, or do you like total synthesis?

Because total synthesis is a brutal, competitive and somewhat shrinking field.

But there are plenty of places you can do organic synthesis, just in a more directed approach with more applications. Something to think about.

Other than that, I'd say your stats look pretty good overall, although perhaps a bit light on the length of time spent with research- there's nothing you can do about that now, though.

Not total synthesis, I'm more interested in developing new methods and catalysts for use in organic synthesis.

I've been wondering the same. But most people I've consulted told me to wait till Fall (Fall 2011, if applying for Fall 2012). They told me it's too early now and profs tend to forget, given the number of things they usually have on their minds. So I say start e-mailing them early fall so you would have time for some correspondence before application deadlines.

Good luck!

Thanks for that advice! I had already started looking through the research interests and work of professors at different universities. It seems I haven't yet narrowed down my own interests enough, because there are a lot of professors, whose work really interests me... But this means, I still have a few months to really decide who to write to.

If you're interested in catalyst development, don't rule out organometallic synth groups... They're the ones developing the majority of the catalysts nowdays.

Anyone have any idea how competitive is theoretical chemistry in general ??

Edited by ah233

Actually, I mean both.

And probably more on heterogenous catalysts than homogenous catalysts, as there are more catalytic metal based compounds that do better in aqueous solutions than the organic solvents usually used for organic synth.

For that matter, don't rule out straight inorganic synth groups if you're interested in catalyst development.

Actually, I mean both.

And probably more on heterogenous catalysts than homogenous catalysts, as there are more catalytic metal based compounds that do better in aqueous solutions than the organic solvents usually used for organic synth.

For that matter, don't rule out straight inorganic synth groups if you're interested in catalyst development.

As one who designs heterogenous catalysts, I beg to differ; however, I'll save this argument for another day and another place.

I fail to see how you designing catalysts (I'm assuming you're an Org Synth person) rules out a significant portion of modern catalyst design being done in organometallic and inorganic groups. I'm just telling the OP to not limit his search if that's what he's interested in.

But I agree, this thread is not the place for the debate.