Ford Foundation Fellowship

gracieh

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta admit that it doesn't hurt any less :(

Hey guys, I know how you feel. I'm sorry. But cheer up..your life will be filled with many ups to balance this down. Def **do not** start feeling sorry for yourself by judging your worth/scholarly potential/intellectual contributions by whether or not you get this thing. I know its disappointing..so be disappointed, but then pull your head up.

Hey guys, I know how you feel. I'm sorry. But cheer up..your life will be filled with many ups to balance this down. Def **do not** start feeling sorry for yourself by judging your worth/scholarly potential/intellectual contributions by whether or not you get this thing. I know its disappointing..so be disappointed, but then pull your head up.

Thanks for the pep talk. Your kids are lucky to have such an encouraging parent.

I'm also worried about disappointing my advisor...she kept saying, "Well, you got HM last year, so it could happen!!" She sounded so so excited. I sometimes worry that she regrets picking me as an incoming student, ha ha.

Ummm... my concern is more that without the Ford, I may not have any funding (budget cutbacks are not fun!) and will be quitting after the first year of my PhD because I don't want to take out $30K in loans per year to finish.

Congrats to those who did get it.

Ummm... my concern is more that without the Ford, I may not have any funding (budget cutbacks are not fun!) and will be quitting after the first year of my PhD because I don't want to take out $30K in loans per year to finish.

Congrats to those who did get it.

I guess I'm lucky that my department is well-funded. How do other students in your cohort do it/pay for graduate school?

That's a little weird. Thanks for the update. I was going to call, but I expect that they are being bombarded by emails and phone calls.

Well if u do call, please post...I didnt think to ask why they only sent out "some." Im wondering if it was because there was a problem with those people's contact info or if it was because they sent emails only to the winners....last year they didnt do the email thing from my understanding....

Well if u do call, please post...I didnt think to ask why they only sent out "some." Im wondering if it was because there was a problem with those people's contact info or if it was because they sent emails only to the winners....last year they didnt do the email thing from my understanding....

Nope, last year was just through the mail. I'm crossing my fingers...that "some" doesn't just mean winners. That there's still a chance they'll send stuff out today or next week.

I guess I'm lucky that my department is well-funded. How do other students in your cohort do it/pay for graduate school?

In the past, the department has been able to fund everyone. Right now, assuming no one quits and we have the same budget for 09-10 as we do for 08-09 (which is not going to happen, it'll be less), the department is a handful of students overcommitted. Consequently, the only way to guarantee one's future is to secure external funding on a RA or through a fellowship. This was my only shot as I'm not eligible for NSF, NDSEG, or NIH.

Well I just called and the woman said that they only emailed decisions to those who communicated urgency in hearing the decision (i.e. funding deadlines). If you did not email with such a request, then you will find out standard post. She also told me that all decisions were sent out this week and should be arriving by next week (depending on where you live of course). Personally, I applied for the pre-doctoral fellowship... I asked her how many apps that had for that one, and she told me 1300.....for 60 spots.

My heart fell to the floor a little, I must admit. I really hope I got it. In any case, we should all be finding *something* out soon.

Good luck everyone!

Well I just called and the woman said that they only emailed decisions to those who communicated urgency in hearing the decision (i.e. funding deadlines). If you did not email with such a request, then you will find out standard post. She also told me that all decisions were sent out this week and should be arriving by next week (depending on where you live of course). Personally, I applied for the pre-doctoral fellowship... I asked her how many apps that had for that one, and she told me 1300.....for 60 spots.

My heart fell to the floor a little, I must admit. I really hope I got it. In any case, we should all be finding *something* out soon.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the info!!!!! I really appreciate it. There is still hope!

In the past, the department has been able to fund everyone. Right now, assuming no one quits and we have the same budget for 09-10 as we do for 08-09 (which is not going to happen, it'll be less), the department is a handful of students overcommitted. Consequently, the only way to guarantee one's future is to secure external funding on a RA or through a fellowship. This was my only shot as I'm not eligible for NSF, NDSEG, or NIH.

So out of curiosity, is the problem that they can't offer you an RA assistantship or that they can't do a tuition waiver? Don't give up hope. If this is your dream, the loans will be worth it (if that's what it comes down to). Otherwise, we wouldn't have medical doctors...if it was all about loans, now would we? Now, I know they get paid more...BUT, you get the idea.

deipnosophistry,

did you express the need to get an urgent notification? Anyone else who was notified by email that they've received the Ford Fellowship express - or not express - urgency to be notified? Just trying to gauge how reliable an earlier poster's info is, and how likely my chances are to be receiving a letter in the mail.

Thanks!

Thanks, ChivPowers! I'm an evolutionary biologist, and I received the email just before 7 pm Central Standard Time.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing as the above poster. Did you notify Ford about needed notification? Thanks!

deipnosophistry,

did you express the need to get an urgent notification? Anyone else who was notified by email that they've received the Ford Fellowship express - or not express - urgency to be notified? Just trying to gauge how reliable an earlier poster's info is, and how likely my chances are to be receiving a letter in the mail.

Thanks!

Nope, I didn't express any urgency when I applied, nor have I been in contact with anyone since I sent off my application in November. Not sure if this helps. :|

deipnosophistry,

Thanks!

I was notified by email last night but did not request an urgent notification..haven't been in touch with them whatsoever. But fingers crossed that some had, and that some of you will hear soon.

So out of curiosity, is the problem that they can't offer you an RA assistantship or that they can't do a tuition waiver? Don't give up hope. If this is your dream, the loans will be worth it (if that's what it comes down to). Otherwise, we wouldn't have medical doctors...if it was all about loans, now would we? Now, I know they get paid more...BUT, you get the idea.

The problem is that they don't have money for TAs or tuition waivers. There are a bunch of grants that NSF hasn't decided on that, if they get funded, will provide RA positions but none in my area. Honestly, I'm not willing to take out as much in loans each year as I will make in salary when I'm done. It would be foolish. It's not enough of a dream to condemn myself to a life of poverty for the next 20 years.

In any event, the phone call news gives me a small glimmer (however faint) of hope.

The problem is that they don't have money for TAs or tuition waivers. There are a bunch of grants that NSF hasn't decided on that, if they get funded, will provide RA positions but none in my area. Honestly, I'm not willing to take out as much in loans each year as I will make in salary when I'm done. It would be foolish. It's not enough of a dream to condemn myself to a life of poverty for the next 20 years.

In any event, the phone call news gives me a small glimmer (however faint) of hope.

Yikes, I'm sorry about your situation. I'll cross my fingers for both of us. Although my glimmer of hope is fading, I want it so incredibly bad that maybe the universe will let me get it:). \

Good luck!