Ford Foundation Fellowship

gracieh

I received notification via email on Thursday evening as well that I received the fellowship (dissertation), but it's also my understanding that email notification is atypical for Ford. I did not request to have my answer expedited--I haven't had any contact with the office at all.

I think there were some questions about this last year, so I'll just mention now that for anyone who receives an alternate, I do have a friend who was on the alternates list the year before last and she ultimately ended up getting it (though, of course, she never did find out where she was ranked on that list).

Good Luck.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO I just got my notification letter -- alternate status... erggg....

It's nice to know that I'm not completely out of the running, but now my waiting is extended another month! :roll:

good luck to all!! Don't accept the award!! (So I can get it... :lol: )

My "alternate letter" said I got honorable mention too. So it seems like everyone who's an alternate gets an honorable mention, but is everyone who gets honorable mention an alternate?

I was HM last year, and wasn't an alternate.

What state are you from? I haven't gotten any mail yet...

I live in Chicago. The letter was dated April 4th. When I log into the NRC Application site, absolutely nothing is different. It's nice to hear about the honorable mention/alternate thing. This whole application process just got a little more exciting. I tell ya, early April for the last 2 years has been life-altering for me. I look forward to reading everyone's notifications as they keep rollin' in...

Hello all! I'm in Denver, mail hasn't come yet (Monday 4/13 7:30 am). No emails or letters yet, so it does seem geographically based.

I'm a first-time applicant in a field that seems mysterious to most: Recording Arts. I'm trying for an interdisciplinary program.

I'll be taking a grant-writing course soon... I have been successful at some grants and unsuccessful at others, but most rejects have been recent so I'm getting a little down. But I will hold my head up as advised in this forum! Good luck everyone!

Since I was the OP, maybe she was just lying to me because she didn't want to be put in the awkward position of telling me that I didn't win the award (although I will say, I didn't tell her my name, so the question of emailing all recipients or just some still stands)... Who knows!?!

Either way, it would have been nice if they would have just sent all emails if they were going to send some; just seems like we are all experiencing a bit of unnecessary anxiety.

Well, I got Honorable Mention, no alternate status.

My letter came somewhere between Thursday and Saturday (I was out of town until this morning and found it in my mailbox when I came home), and it was dated April 7.

I'm not too upset. After NSF gave me nothing at least I have this :) I can always try again next year!

Thanks to all for the posts. Just got an alternate/hm (dissertator) letter-postmarked April 7. As I see folks posting what they received, it makes me curious. How many alternates are there? Others have said there is a list/ranking for major fields, but not total numbers. I suppose there is no way to find out, except to (im)patiently wait for another month to hear back or hear nothing at all. Good luck to you all, and congrats to those who have heard positively from the Ford and others.

For the second year in a row, I did not even win HM from Ford. Last year, some thought that everyone who did not receive the award got HM, because it seemed that everyone on this board had. Well, I can tell you that is not true, unless I am the only one. :x Great job to everyone who did get it. I am trying not to let this destroy all of my hope, as I am still in limbo for NSF.

Hi all,

I'm in Kansas... Got my alternate/HM letter in the mail today (predoctoral), dated April 7. Sure hope there aren't many alternates.....The letter seems bleak though

Just a small, insignificant FYI: When you log into the Ford application page, and go to "Data Review" you will see that it says "Honorable Mentions List?" and should now have an answer. (Mine does)

Has anyone called yet to find out how many alternates there are?

Just a small, insignificant FYI: When you log into the Ford application page, and go to "Data Review" you will see that it says "Honorable Mentions List?" and should now have an answer. (Mine does)

Has anyone called yet to find out how many alternates there are?

I think the "Yes" under Data Review refers to whether or not you would like your name listed on HM if selected and has nothing to do with actual award status

I received an email from Ford around 8pm on 4/9 saying I was an awardee and would receive something in the mail (via FedEx) this week, but nothing has come yet. I'm wondering if anyone else received their award package by mail? I'm going to keep feeling nervous until I have it in my hands...

I received an email from Ford around 8pm on 4/9 saying I was an awardee and would receive something in the mail (via FedEx) this week, but nothing has come yet. I'm wondering if anyone else received their award package by mail? I'm going to keep feeling nervous until I have it in my hands...

I haven't gotten anything either, so I think they might still be shipping them out. It sucks being patient!