Santa Barbara, CA

Thanks for the info! It's important to know that it gets into the 80s and over :)

I live in the area (slightly south of SB) and go to the beach every weekend in the summer. My partner surfs, I stay on the beach and read, we both put our feet in the ocean, etc. In the not-summer, we usually go to the pool, not the beach, and yeah, you probably have to throw a t-shirt over your bathing suit in the not-summer, but even then, it's beautiful. It definitely gets in the 80s and higher mid-day, and regardless of the temperature, it's often perfect beach weather. Worse comes to worse, drive an hour or so south to Santa Monica, where it gets 100+ sometimes in the summer.

Worse comes to worse, drive an hour or so south to Santa Monica, where it gets 100+ sometimes in the summer.

Actually 90 or above is pretty rare on Santa Monica Beach... now go 3 miles inland to the 405 and you may see a 10-15 degree temperature increase in the peak summer months, but I find the beach itself is pretty similar to Santa Barbara. I live a few blocks from it right now and was considering UCSB so had both forecasts plugged into my iPhone and compared on a daily basis for a few months. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Another shopping question... I searched online for a Target in or near SB, and to my horror the closest one is apparently more than an hour away. Does SB/Goleta/IV have anything Target-like?

It's Southern California, and you're worried about shopping options? Next you're going to ask if they have car dealerships! :roll:

But seriously. You will be able to buy everything you've ever thought of needing, and a lot more. You will be surrounded by strip malls. Swimming in a sea of specialty stores. Unable to escape the chain restaurants. Besides, Ventura is closer to 30 minutes away than an hour, (especially if you live South of UCSB) and I think there are multiple Targets in Ventura. Also in Ventura/Oxnard: every other major chain of store on earth.

It's Southern California, and you're worried about shopping options? Next you're going to ask if they have car dealerships! :roll:

But seriously. You will be able to buy everything you've ever thought of needing, and a lot more. You will be surrounded by strip malls. Swimming in a sea of specialty stores. Unable to escape the chain restaurants. Besides, Ventura is closer to 30 minutes away than an hour, (especially if you live South of UCSB) and I think there are multiple Targets in Ventura. Also in Ventura/Oxnard: every other major chain of store on earth.

It's not that I'm worried there won't be anywhere to shop, I'm just worried there won't be anywhere cheap to shop. Specialty stores and boutiques are fun, but not really financially feasible on a grad student's pay. Or maybe they are and I'm just being overly cautious...

It's not that I'm worried there won't be anywhere to shop, I'm just worried there won't be anywhere cheap to shop. Specialty stores and boutiques are fun, but not really financially feasible on a grad student's pay. Or maybe they are and I'm just being overly cautious...

Trust me. You won't know what to do with all of the Walmart's, Kmarts, and Targets in Ventura. Santa Barbara is one of the most expensive places in America to live, and there is just no getting around that, but if there is one thing it has going for it, it's a bazillion chain stores. Also, why not just shop at Target Online, if you don't want to drive to Ventura and are really set on Target? They have more there than in the stores anyway.

I went to UCSB for my department's recruitment day this week, and while it made me super excited about my program, I'm now less excited about the campus grad student housing (single, not family). I didn't get the feeling that there's anything WRONG with it, just that I've been out of school for a few years, have furniture and a cat, and am not really into the idea of returning to a more dorm-like lifestyle. What other options should I look at? By far the major factor that was pushing me towards campus housing was proximity-- I don't mind being a little further away but I'd like to still be able to walk or bike to campus, or take a bus if it's easy enough. Living near State Street does sound awesome, but if it means an hour spent waiting on public transit each day it might not be worth the hassle. One of the current students mentioned Ellwood, I think, what's that like?

• 2 weeks later...

I lived downtown for 4 years as an undergrad at UCSB. The bus is always on time and takes about 1/2 an hour. The MBTA is on Chapala Street, so if you lived near Chapala and Anacapa, you would not have a problem. There is also a good bike path to campus, and you can put your bike on the busses bike rack at night if you're too tired to ride home. UCSB is a super bike friendly environment with good paths, parking, etc, which I'm sure you noticed.

I recommend downtown more than Ellwood, the Mesa or Goleta. It's just beautiful and the most convenient. Some of the smaller towns nearby are just sad.

Thank you! I looked up bus routes and bike paths and I feel like I have way more options for good housing locations now. I've been looking at studios on craigslist, and they actually seem less expensive than I was expecting. I wasn't really too excited about finding roommates, so I'm glad to have that option open.

I think downtown/State Street has a great cafe culture. It's a great walking city, with most of the best cafe's, shops and sandwich shops/ restaurants along 10 blocks of the city, with many other cool, sometimes cheaper spots hidden in the side streets a few blocks away.

I don't know Elwood that well, but Goleta is definitely more spread out and within a 2 mile walk in either direction, you would have many fewer choices for groceries, cafes restaurants and shops.

The main grocery store is on Chapala and Anacapa, (right near the bus stop from UCSB) if I recall, and then there's the farmer's market for cheap fresh veggies around the 400 block of State Street.

The main bus stop downtown also goes everywhere, but Elwood and Goleta would probably require you to go to Downtown SB and transfer for out of the way places like Mesa (SB City College), Montecito, etc.

I think a smaller apartment downtown is better than a bigger place in Goleta, but that's me.

I'm hoping to get a place in downtown SB, near the direct bus line to UCSB (I think 24x?). If I did this, how feasible would it really be to give up my car completely? I know I could probably get to school, home, and the walking distance shops fairly well, but I'm worried about confining myself, or not being able to visit a friend that might be living up in the hills. Does anyone else have experience with this sort of arrangement? How did it work out?

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know how much should I expect to pay for rent for a studio or a one bedroom apartment. I know that is not very specific but a price range would be cool, preferably in Isla Vista. Also, is it practical to live in Carpinteria? is it cheaper? I will have a car, so some distance is ok if it is worth the savings. How is parking usually in UCSB? One more thing, is it realistic to try to find a place so I can start paying rent on September or do I need to find it (and pay) early in summer? if you coul add anymore information would be great. Thank you

One bedrooms in Santa Barbara can be pretty expensive, especially in Isla Vista. I haven't heard of a one-bedroom in IV for less than $900 a month, and most places rent would be over $1,000/mo. It is much cheaper to share a place with others. I lived in IV for 2 years, both years in different 3 bedroom tiny apartments with 5 other girls. There are some places that are cheaper, but the more people you live with, the lower rent you'll pay. If you really want to live alone, I would recommend renting a room in Goleta, which is a short busride or bike ride from UCSB. Then you could be paying as low as $600/month. Carpinteria is cheaper and a really, really nice little town, but it's a good 20, 30 mins from UCSB, and even longer in traffic. The lower rent might not be worth the extra you'll be paying for gas?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm fairly certain that this hasn't been mentioned yet, but Studio Plaza is a complex in Isla Vista with only studio apartments. I'm currently living there, actually, and you would be surprised to find out how quiet it is. Depending on the location of your studio, you'd pay 950 or 900 a month, and you have the option of furnished/unfurnished (utilities except internet/cable are included in rent). I really like it here because biking is the most convenient option, but two bus lines to campus stop right outside the gate if you need them. The on-site management is really strict about the no-parties policy; they give priority to grad students and professors who need a quiet place to work. It's one of the only studios you can find in IV that is less than $1000/month, I know, I looked relentlessly last year. As for getting to the grocery store, the bus stop to get to Camino Real Marketplace is around the corner, but I'd try to make friends with someone who has a car.

• 11 months later...

Hey everyone, I figured I ought to reopen this thread because I'm sure there are at least a few of us out there that will be in Santa Barbara next fall. I was just out for a visit a week and a half ago and absolutely loved it. Now that I'm certain I will be attending, my thoughts have turned toward the logistics of living in SB.

I won't be bringing a car with me and likely wont be able to afford one until I'm at least a couple of years into my program; from what I've seen, campus and the surrounding area (Isla Vista, some parts of Goleta/Elwood, Hollister Ave area) seemed really bike friendly, but I really liked the atmosphere and vibe of the downtown area (I'm a coffee fiend and tend to do a lot of my studying in coffee shops) so I'm torn on where to focus looking for apartments.

Would it be doable to live downtown without a car? I know the bus transfer station is downtown, but can't guarantee that I would be able to find a place near enough to avoid all the necessary transfers to get back and forth from campus. Anyone have any experience living downtown without a car? If so, do you spend a lot of time in the office/on campus?

I'm also drawn to the Hollister ave area near the family housing complexes (or even Elwood, etc) because of what I've heard about the farmer's markets and such, and part of me feels that it would be best to be close to campus and able to go in whenever I need to.

So I'm obviously torn. Is there anyone out there with experience that can give me suggestions on where to live during my first year in SB?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I figured I ought to reopen this thread because I'm sure there are at least a few of us out there that will be in Santa Barbara next fall. I was just out for a visit a week and a half ago and absolutely loved it. Now that I'm certain I will be attending, my thoughts have turned toward the logistics of living in SB.

I won't be bringing a car with me and likely wont be able to afford one until I'm at least a couple of years into my program; from what I've seen, campus and the surrounding area (Isla Vista, some parts of Goleta/Elwood, Hollister Ave area) seemed really bike friendly, but I really liked the atmosphere and vibe of the downtown area (I'm a coffee fiend and tend to do a lot of my studying in coffee shops) so I'm torn on where to focus looking for apartments.

Would it be doable to live downtown without a car? I know the bus transfer station is downtown, but can't guarantee that I would be able to find a place near enough to avoid all the necessary transfers to get back and forth from campus. Anyone have any experience living downtown without a car? If so, do you spend a lot of time in the office/on campus?

I'm also drawn to the Hollister ave area near the family housing complexes (or even Elwood, etc) because of what I've heard about the farmer's markets and such, and part of me feels that it would be best to be close to campus and able to go in whenever I need to.

So I'm obviously torn. Is there anyone out there with experience that can give me suggestions on where to live during my first year in SB?

As for downtown, if you live near the right bus line, I have heard it is do able. I believe the bus is the 24x, but I could be wrong. With the Hollister st area, I know it is very bikable from campus, I tried it during my visit to see (awesome people, someone let me use their bike). When I did visit that area, there was a decent farmer's market as well as other grocery/necessary item places, and a starbucks and a more local coffee shop. I never made it downtown, where I am sure there is a lot to keep you busy/happy, but that hollister area didn't seem too shabby to me. I didn't make it into the more local coffee shop, but th starbucks was a little busy (it was a sunday afternoon, though).

if anyone has any more advice, we'd love to hear it

• 9 months later...

Can we re-open this thread, please? If there are any current UCSB grad students, is parking available on-campus? Could we get by without a car?

Where are the best places to live? I'd like my own place (no housemates) with a pet cat...

And back to the car topic, I currently live in N.C. If l should bring my car, would it be best to drive it cross-country and make an adventure out of it?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I need this thread reopened as well! I'm in desperate need of info. I just got an offer to UCSB but cannot imagine making end meet on a $15K stipend. I have so much furniture and a dog--neither of which I'm willing to part with...so I think a house with roommates is the only option. Is it possible to find an affordable place and have your own room? I don't mind being the one to furnish the rest of the house and sharing everything...but I really want my own room. On $15K. Is this possible? I need to eat too.

I will be attending UCSB in the Fall. I will be moving from the Washington DC to California and I'm exploring the options. I've thought about living in San Clemente for the sheer convenience, but I really don't want to give up my cat. I wish that they had real pictures on the website so I could get a feel for it. The two room would be the only option--4 people is out of the question for me, even if they're perfectly lovely people. Right now, I pay 800 for a studio in DC and I live in the hood. $900 or $1000 is not mind-blowing, but then again, I don't get my financial package info until next week...

• 3 weeks later...

I went to UCSB for undergrad and majored in chemistry. I lived in IV for 4 years and my gf lived downtown for a year so I have a feel for both. Honestly I would try to live downtown if you can. Goleta is cheaper yeah, but downtown is much nicer and fun (bars, warmer beaches), transportation is easy- you can take the 24x to campus for free and its only a 20 minute ride. As far as having your own room I am not sure. I think it'd cost about $1000 or so but I'd definitely start looking as soon as possible on craigslist because housing is tricky. I know people with pets that live downtown, its not impossible but will definitely make things harder.

I applied for this fall too and if I get accepted I will most definitely live in San Clemente for the first year (super nice rooms and I want to meet people), then probably live downtown in the following years. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm a grad student at UCSB. I lived in San Clemente and I'm happy to answer any questions about the town or the apartments or whatever!

I would just like to point out that (with all due respect to our awesome, fun-loving undergrads) the graduate experience at UCSB is verrrrry different from an undergrad's. You'll hang out at different places, and you'll most likely want to avoid Isla Vista once the sun goes down. It's a fun place but it's really weird knowing that those people are your students. Almost all the grad students I know avoid it in most cases.

And to the poster above-- I LOVE Goleta!

Edited by sbgrad