Just looking for some advice:

I'll be applying for a master's program this year for Fall 2012, and I need the summer off from work to get my apps and GRE together. I told my boss I would resign because the summer months are extremely hectic: 8+ hours with kids and field trips every day! He offered me this tempting option: Take the summer off from work, then come back to work in the fall.

The only thing holding me back from taking this offer is that my organization can get pretty hectic throughout the year with spontaneous events and policies that stress me out.

So back to my intent for this post: Does employment history matter in a grad application? Do they care if the applicant is currently employed or has periods of unemployment? Is this a big enough factor to affect admission?

Hopefully your advice can give me some insight on what to do with my employer's offer. Thanks!

I doubt it. Employment gaps matter on a resume in industry, but I really don't think grad schools are concerned by periods of unemployment.

The only reason this job might help your applications is if it relates to your area of study and you can gain experiences to talk about in your statement (or skills to list on your CV).

I doubt it. Employment gaps matter on a resume in industry, but I really don't think grad schools are concerned by periods of unemployment.

The only reason this job might help your applications is if it relates to your area of study and you can gain experiences to talk about in your statement (or skills to list on your CV).

Whew, that's reassuring. :) Thanks for the response.