What are my chances?

teachgirl22

I am looking into EdD programs. It would be my dream to go to Stanford or Harvard. I am wondering in general, what my chances are. I haven't yet taken the GRE so I have no idea where I might end up there. I also need to significantly narrow my specific interests in programs so I can write a compelling LOI/SOP. However, in terms of my other stats- what are your thoughts on an acceptance into a highly competitive EdD program?

GRE Score: Have not taken yet

GPA: Undergrad- 3.6, Grad- 4.0

Work Experience: 5 years as an elementary classroom teacher. 2 years as a TFA corps member at a low-performing traditional public school, 3 years at a high-performing public charter school. I also have done a lot of "extra" work for TFA to support current corps members.

Undergrad Institution(Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Private (not super competitive, but reasonably competitive)

Research Experience: none beyond a few research papers done in grad school

Applying for PhD or Masters: Ph.D

Program: Something in Literacy/Language, Teacher Preparation, or Ed. Policy (?)

What Schools Are You Applying To: Harvard, Stanford

You should get research experience. Also, you will not want to apply to Harvard or Stanford unless your research interests happen to strongly match the faculty there--saying you want to apply there without knowing your research interests is putting the cart before the horse. For a PhD, I think it works best if your desire is first to answer a burning question...not just to get a PhD. :) Figure that out first and then look for the right schools.

Is there a local university? Ask them if you could intern as a research assistant this summer...

Do you currently teach? Maybe you can think about what interests you in your classroom, do some reading and start using an eye toward research-informed practice. Think about businesses when they do analysis of their customers to improve their services...try the same thing in your classroom by collecting data to improve your practices. This would at least give you something to write about in your SOP :)

• 1 month later...

I am looking into EdD programs. It would be my dream to go to Stanford or Harvard. I am wondering in general, what my chances are. I haven't yet taken the GRE so I have no idea where I might end up there. I also need to significantly narrow my specific interests in programs so I can write a compelling LOI/SOP. However, in terms of my other stats- what are your thoughts on an acceptance into a highly competitive EdD program?

GRE Score: Have not taken yet

GPA: Undergrad- 3.6, Grad- 4.0

Work Experience: 5 years as an elementary classroom teacher. 2 years as a TFA corps member at a low-performing traditional public school, 3 years at a high-performing public charter school. I also have done a lot of "extra" work for TFA to support current corps members.

Undergrad Institution(Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Private (not super competitive, but reasonably competitive)

Research Experience: none beyond a few research papers done in grad school

Program: Something in Literacy/Language, Teacher Preparation, or Ed. Policy (?)

What Schools Are You Applying To: Harvard, Stanford

We're both in the same boat. I start my 2nd year of TFA, and I'd say you've got a much stronger application than I do with your extra years of experience. But I'm also looking to apply for Harvard and Stanford's PhD/EdD programs. Maybe I'm reaching too high? Worth the shot I suppose. Here are my specs since you shared yours...

GRE Score: Verbal: 560 (retaking tomorrow, so will hopefully be higher), Quantitative: 800, Writing: 5.5

GPA: Undergrad- 3.0, Grad- 4.0

Work Experience: 2 years as TFA corps member at low-performing public school in Detroit, Middle school English and Math teacher in Chicago public summer schools and ESL teacher in San Jose summer school, 4 years of independent biology research

Undergrad Institution: UC San Diego

Masters Institution: MAT@USC

Research Experience: 4 years of independent undergraduate biology research

Program: Educational Policy and Leadership, Urban Education

What Schools Are You Applying To: Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, UC Berkeley, Columbia, USC, Cornell

Good luck everyone! Here's to Fall 2012 applications.

• 1 month later...

I agree with tr_th--you need to pick what you are passionate about first (it is a 4-6yr commitment) before you pick the school.

teachgirl22, I think you have good chances with your experience. However, make sure that you at least break 600 for V/Q for GREs. I know from insiders that 600 (or minimum 60% percentile) is the cutoff for most students unless you have an amazing resume.

hitomimay--I was a former TFAer myself and I will say that being in TFA for two years is not a qualifier or pass to good programs/good jobs--most two years get into HGSE's M.A. program but very few get into the PhD. You should look at their stats and average years of experience--that will help you figure out if you are a qualified applicant. My personal opinion is the fact that you still list summer school experience shows me you have no business being in a ed leadership/policy PhD program, especially with such a low undergrad GPA, no publications, and no relevant research experience. You might have better luck in a science ed PhD program. Some suggestions are to take on more leadership roles (i.e. member of instructional leadership team, department chair, program development, VP, Principal, school founder, etc) and also get more "relevant" research experience. Undergrad bio research has very little to do with ed policy unless you want to study how to improve science education.

I'm a current Harvard Ed.D student. Based on your backgrounds, I think you are both in a good position to be able to apply. It is particularly important, though, to carefully consider your motivation for graduate study: what questions resulted from your experiences in schools?; what do you think is missing? You need to be able to carefully present your work experiences in a way which shows admissions committees that that are burning questions that you wan't answered.

And, contrary to blithe's comments, I wouldn't be put off if you've only had 2 years TFA experience. I only had two years teaching experience and was successful (although admittedly, I had done a Masters and some research doing my MA and undergrad). There is a real range of experiences. Having only 2 years experience might just mean that you have to work a little harder to demonstrate your expertise.

Hope that's helpful

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...