Umass

Guest dnslouise1

There was an ad posted on UMass Commuter Services for a few apartments in the Turners Falls area. It sounds quite ideal, but may be a bit too far of a commute.

I also need to look up where my department is located, on which side of the campus. That could even make a difference. Is the campus that big? I'm used to large campuses, actually.

Debating, where will you be living?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be in one of the apartment complexes in Sunderland with my fiance.

I think the campus is pretty big, at least compared to my miniscule school. It looks like an L with the corner pointed north-west and it's about 1.5 mi on each side, 3 on the diagonal... does that make any sense? Anyway, 2 mi can make a difference if I want to walk/bike/rollerblade to school so I thought it was important to be as close to my academic buldings as possible.

Guest Nadine

Debating, which apt complex did you look at? It does seem easier to find not too bad housing when you look into apt. complex. Someone who's studying at UMass from my country provided me with this link http://www-ims.oit.umass.edu/~cshrc/housing/complexes It's a listing of the apt. and the basic stats (rent, facilities...etc.)near UMass. Hope this is helpful :)

I'm thinking about looking into apts, it seems easier. What do you think, Debating? But, I'll probably need to find some roomates to share the rent.

I do think that if you are looking online, finding an apartment would be the easiest. That's what we're doing, and if we don't like it, we can always get something nicer next year when we can actually look around in person (to answer your question, I didn't look at any of them, I was only at the school when I visited, but I stayed with someone at Aspen Chase in Amherst and I fully appreciated the "crazy monkeys" description used for the undergrads...)

Rent is pricey though if you have no one to share with so make sure to look for roommates. I think most departments provide mailing lists to help people find housing and roommates. The link you posted is really neat, I wish I had seen it earlier.

In all honesty, I would rather live in a condo/apartment in a house but I don't think I will be able to find something nice just by looking online.

Guest hydsnare

hello all; thank u for the warm welcome... yes it wud be nice to meet up for a drink once we get to Amherst... i guess i'll only be there around Aug 25th.. will hv to quickly find a place and then turn up for the int'l students orientation starting Aug 28.. we will be flying into Boston Logan ... fortunately for me we hv family in the burbs south of boston - so will stay with them and drive to amherst after a couple of days... in fact that was one of the main reasons for me to decide to study at UMass. nadine - great site to chk up on apt's...

Eh...I'm a little behind. :D

Housing: I agree that Holyoke is a leetle far for a commute. The good thing is that you can hop on 91 and get off on Rte 9, which will take you right into Amherst. From 91 to Amherst it's about 15-20 minutes.

Also, take Debating's advice and get in touch with your department. There are grad student listservs and such that you can get on, which is a great insider source for apartments. I'm not sure if the lists are by department, or if there's one big ol' list, but that would be a good way to go. The dwindling numbers you're seeing may be summer sublets. I'm sure more listings will pop up at the end of July-early August; the grad students I spoke with assured me it would be so. And that website is great!

Best of luck to you as you try to settle these details...I know you'll find places, though. And you can always find better ones next year.

Travel: Some grad students highly recommended flying into Connecticut -- I think it's Bradley? It's really close to Amherst; but when I tried to book flights, it was significantly more expensive than Logan. The drive from Boston to Amherst isn't bad, though. If it's not too expensive to fly there internationally, I would recommend it.

ABC sounds good to me!

Ugh... I won't be getting my first paycheck for almost a month and a half after I move in.... any ideas on how the heck to survive (especially with security deposits, two months rent, furniture, etc. expenses looming over me :cry: )?

Talking about furniture... if someone goes to visit and you see a good, cheap furniture place, do share :). It seems like the closest Ikea is far far away.

Guest Nadine

Eck, I'm not feeling all that good these days, realistic issues (trying to find a house, work things out between my bf...etc) is really getting to me. Last night, I just want to throw my hands up in the air and apply for graduate dorm, and then I remember I won't have a kitchen and I'll be stuck with cafeteria food for a whole semster (or school year).

I checked out a certain apt complex (online), and since I found roomate, I thought maybe it could work. But I spoke to someone who's studying at UMass and was told that the particular apt complex is very very full of crazy partying undergrads. So I'm hesitating again. :roll: BTW, I read apt ratings for those in Amherst and wished that I never head, because even if you know that not everbody can be happy with their living situation, the bad ratings are bad enough for you to get cold feet in living in an apt complex.

Is everyone coming to study with their husband/wives/family/fiance? This is beginning to feel like a life issue now, not just an education issue.

Debating, with all of those college + university students in the area, I'm sure you'll be able to find some cheap furniture. My sisters made away with some good furniture that they got off the side of the road, and they definitely live in a college town.

Sorry to hear that life issues are interfering with the joys of acceptance into grad programs. Sucks that stuff like money has to ruin a good buzz. I'm just hoping to save up a bit to last for that first month without going too deep into debt.

Nadine, I hope you find something soon...although you may not have many leads until July... I think finding a room in a house would be a good bet for you, because it can be affordable, and you will probably be able to find some place nicer than an undergrad party complex. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, because you know I can't really think about much else than UMass. Ü

Hey Nadine, cheer up, I'm sure something will turn up. Are the people from your dept willing to help you find a place? I feel that it would be easier for you to look if you have someone local to talk to (like current grad students). I don't think everyone is moving with a significant other. I was very lucky that my bf and I got accepted to the same program, only a couple of months ago I was freaking out and trying to figure out what will happen (looming unknown future sucks).

At least you know you'll be going to UMass and the area is truly beautiful and full of fun things to do both indoors and outdoors!

lds, good point, I guess I'll be looking around for yard sales in August :). I really look forward to finally having my own place and furnishing it the way I want to, but at the same time I wish it was all free... don't we all

Anyone else have yet to receive their admissions packet with student ID, password, immunization forms, etc.? I sent in my acceptance card on April 8th and haven't heard anything.

Registration's already started.

Guest Nadine

I confirmed my acceptance over email, it was suppose to hurry up the visa paper work and other things. But this was all recently done, maybe sometime last week (that was when I got my acceptance letter viaf mail), so I'd think there are still many that haven't recieved specific registration info.

Nadine: I am coming to Amherst with my husband. I know of a few graduate students, though, who are single and coming alone.

AMB: I haven't received my admissions information packet either. However, I contacted my graduate advisor about it. He informed us a while back that he would enroll us in our courses since all first-years in our department take the same courses. I would like to receive the information packet just so I can set up my UMass email. Having five email addresses just isn't enough for me... I also sent in my acceptance card at the end of March. I'll let you know if I get any mail.

Still apartment hunting! No luck yet.

Guest hydsnare

u guys got ur regn packets so early... i just got it last week! sent in the acceptance card and the forms rqd by the Intl Programs Office... also sent them scanned images by email... will have to wait for them to also send the I20's so I can apply for the visa... not sure how long that will take... for the intl students here - any idea what the lag was between sending in the accpetance card and receiving the I-20s?

in terms of furnishing was thinking of checking out the bed bath & beyond in holyoke once we get there.

I don't think I got any immunization forms. But I think it would be good to get some immunizations. It's about time for a tetanus shot.

I guess we'll be getting registration packets/information early summer? Now that I'm in, I want to take all of those steps now! Summer correspondence courses! Stat!

There's also a Target in Hadley, which is right next to Amherst, and, if you can give up your soul for a few hours, a Wal-Mart. :D

Guest Nadine

Hi guys, I'm looking at the bright side of things again (I'm so whimsical!)

Anyhow, I found a roomate(yay!), we met the other day and decided that we will probably get along pretty well :) So, we both filled out an application for a certain apt comlex in Amherst, and hopefully by sometime in June or July, we'll have news on our housing.

Nadine: glad life's good again :).

As far as immunizations go, a heads-up, UMass requires a meningitis shot (which is so dar expensive!!!). I still don't know about the registration packets or whether they sent the same immunization forms to US citizens as they do to intl students.

About the I-20: they told me their processing time is about 4 days, whether it's true or not... they got my paperwork today so I can let you know next week :roll:

Guest hydsnare

thanks debating for the info on time taken for proc the acceptance form...

got a mail from the Intl Prgm Office... they will FEDEX the I-20s if needed... at a charge of $50/- ... will hv to pay this coz i need the docs for the visas... well this is a one time thing..so....

and nadine congrats on the roommate and also the general upturn ...

Guest Nadine

Hydsnare, I think it's kinda annoying when you have to pay to Fedex your own I-20 :roll: Because one school that I turned down in the end actaully sent my whole package along with my I-20 via UPS. Anyways, I hope to get more info on the school very soon.

To all who are coming from abroad, when are you guys planning to interview for your visa?

Guest Nadine

Ok, like three seconds ago, I checked my admission status, and this message was there:

Registration materials for that semester will be mailed about 5 weeks prior to your initial entrance semester. International students will get those materials during their orientation program. Please keep this Office informed of any change in your mailing address. You can notify us by e-mail at gradrec@umass.edu.

By the sounds of this, the only other info I should expect in the mail is my I-20. Everything else, wait for the orientation. Oh, by the way, don't forget to turn in the orientation form.

Guest hydsnare

hv no choice but to get if fedex'd coz there are huge wait times for visa interviews... will apply for the visa as soon as i get the i-20s... dunno when that will be though...

to the non intl's here - my apologies if this is becoming way too intl and not broad based enuf... pls indulge us coz we are sort of cut off and hv to deal with red tape in addition to all that is happening with all of us in terms of entering into something new!

Guest hydsnare

hey nadine - just chk'd and yes they hv recd my confirmation card too. also got a mail from ipo that I-20s are being sent in a day or so

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use