MPA/MPP/IR 2012 Applicants

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MA SPS (Elliott), MA USFP (SIS)

Schools Applied To: GW (Elliott), American (SIS)

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: all

Undergraduate institution: Ivy League

Undergraduate GPA: 3.39

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):

Undergraduate Major: Economics, East Asian Languages and Civilizations - Chinese

Study Abroad: 3 months each in Tokyo and Shanghai, 3 months (so far) in Taipei

GRE:

Q: 163

V: 158

AW: 4.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2

Years of Work Experience: 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 1.5 years as a research analyst for a consulting firm in DC, 6 months as a volunteer for a Nigeria-focused micro-financing non-profit.

Quant: econometrics, development economics, public finance, corporate finance

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): explained how I want to draw on my quant background and language skills for a career in Intelligence.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): along with the SOP, i'm most worried about these. my professors know my career goals, and I performed well in their classes; but, I have no idea what they'll write. got recommendations from each of my majors. also one from my previously employer.

Languages: English (native); Chinese (limited-working proficiency); Japanese (basic); French (basic)

International Experience: study abroad for 3 months each in Shanghai and Tokyo, currently living in Taipei

Questions/Comments: SAIS has been my dream school for so long, but given the salary potential for gov't jobs and the loans I still have from undergrad, I didn't want to be stuck in a position where (if accepted) I had to turn down SAIS due to funds. Between GWU and AU, Elliott is my top choice. I also took the FSOT in October and passed. Waiting on the results due out next week to see if I make it to the FSOA stage.

Clover123, I think we should hear back from admission comittes in march for most of the programs. What are the schools you refer to when u say some people already have offers?

The Fletcher School has an early notification option, which rendered results back in mid-December.

Schools/Programs Applied To: SIPA (MIA), SFS (MSFS), Fletcher (MALD), Maxwell (MAIR)

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: All

Undergraduate institution: Foreign University

Undergraduate GPA: Equivalent to 3.60

Undergraduate Major: Economics, concentration in Political Studies and International Relations

GRE:

Q: 156 (74%)

V: 156 (72%)

AW: 4.0 (48%)

Years Out of Undergrad: Just graduated!

Years of Work Experience:

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Interned for a semester at the Colombian Embassy in DC and then worked for a semester as Research Assistant (research on issues regarding Asia Pacific).

Quant: Many! (5 maths, 4 stats/econometrics, 2 macroeconomics, 3 microeconomics, ...)

Foreign languages: English (fluent), learning French

International experience4: Lived in DC for a semester (internship), lived in Australia for a semester as an exchange student, and lived in London for 2 years

Strength of SOP: Genuinely explains how I became interested in IR and security issues (drawing on my personal experience and my experiences abroad). I briefly commented on the skills gained during my experiences abroad and my undergraduate studies, and wrapped up with why did I choose the specific program.

Strength of LOR: Boss at the Embassy, boss at the Centre where I worked as RA (He's a former ambassador to China), and the mayor of my city (I work for his campaign)

Questions/Comments: I think that I have a good profile -specially for an undergrad-, but am not sure if that is going to be enough (specially compared with other applicants that have had loads of experience). I hope the admissions committees don't penalise me for my lack of "professional experince" (although I make up for this with my international exposure). Any thoughts? Do I have a chance?

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MSPPM, and 1 MPP/MBA

Schools Applied To: Heinz, Harris, UCLA, American, GPPI, NYU Wagner, Mills, Brandeis

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: All

Undergraduate institution: Top 30 Liberal Arts College

Undergraduate GPA: 3.69

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.82

Undergraduate Major: psychology (BA)

GRE Quantitative Score: 161 (like 620 on older scale)

GRE Verbal Score: 161 (770 on older scale)

GRE AW Score: 4.0

GMAT: 660

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 6

Years of Work Experience: 4

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Community organizing, advocacy and fundraising for political campaigns; includes 2 years of management experience, 1 year after college as research assistant for psychology professor, and a bunch of random other jobs

Languages: English, very basic fluency in French

Quant: Statistics and Calculus AB as an undergrad, Macroeconomics (no micro yet)

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Shows strong interest and commitment to social change and public service, contains humor and is somewhat entertaining to read. Possible weaker points are that the writing is not perfect stylistically and it focuses almost entirely on my last job from this summer, rather than discussing anything from academics or earlier position held. I also wrote about a controversial political issue on which the country is very divided.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Professional recommendations only, which are strong, but no academic ones

Other: Co-authored 2 publications from college in scientific journals with a professor, Departmental Honors in my major field

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA, MEM, MS Env.Sci.&Policy

Schools Applied To: SIPA, Harris, Yale F&ES

Schools Admitted To: SIPA(applied early decision to the MPA-ESP program)

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: Harris & Yale

Undergraduate institution: Top 5 Canadian

Undergraduate GPA: 3.37

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 4.0 last semester

Undergraduate Major: Chemical Engineering (Environmental Studies Minor)

GRE Quantitative Score: 162 (87th Perc.)

GRE Verbal Score: 162 (90th)

GRE AW Score: 5.5 (96th)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): In Undergrad

Years of Work Experience: 7

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Worked part-time during high school and throughout undergrad as a fuel cell researcher (independent projects with minimal academic supervision). Worked as a tutor and public speaking coach. Regularly coordinate youth engagement programs for science&technology. Two major internships working with Greenpeace and a renowned Indian environmental lawyer.

Languages: English and French (completely bilingual), Hindi (speaking/listening fluency, teaching myself writing/reading) and another regional Indian language (speaking/listening fluency)

Quant: Rigorous math education (stats, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, modelling software) and courses in microeconomics, environmental economics and international economics.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Highlights a really concentrated interest in link between clean tech and green policies, drawing from experiences in both fuel cell field and policy internships. Shows why the problem exists and why interdisciplinary education can address it. Probably stylistically strong, not sure if its a unique story or perspective.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Two academic, from previous research supervisors who probably attested to my academic talent. One is from a supervisor I worked with a long time ago..don't know how that will pan out. Third is from a professional supervisor who has good knowledge of my volunteer work and commitment to working at the grassroots level.

Other: 1 first-author scientific publication, several publications in a well-known youth science publication (Imagine from JHU), book chapter on river conservation, US patent on fuel cell discovery...

Program Applied To: IR, MPP (only for HSG)

Schools Applied To:HKS(mpp), Tufts(Fletcher's, MALD), Gtown (MA of international law and security) , GWU (elliot, IR) , Syracuse (Maxwell, IR), Stanford (Intl policy studies), SIPA (MIA), U Chicago (CIR, IR), Southern CA, JHU (SAIS, MA)

Undergraduate institution: top 50 LAC ( as an international student)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.66 (major 3.77/4.0)

Undergraduate Major: Poli-sci + statistic

GRE Quantitative Score: 780 (163 for new g)

GRE Verbal Score: 710( 167 )

GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 0 directly apply as a senior

Years of Work Experience: 0, only two internship outside U.S :P

Describe Relevant Work Experience: No full-time working experince, but have two internships in China, in one large national engineer company, office assistant, and legal assistant in a famous local law firm. Did interns during the summer back home:p

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): talk about extensive study aboard exp, been to around 10 countries and study in U.S., strong stat. background, decent econ background (micro/marco) can speak Chinese/English/French, plan to work in International humanitarian org, (UNHCR, ICRC), interested in international law, more specifically, international humanitarian law.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): all from my poli-sci profs. took at least two courses with each of them..

Questions: 1. do I aim for too high? I mean my prof. recommend those school for me, but all of the 10 schools are top schools in the field ( except USC i guess?). I'm worried if I will be rejected by all of them... should I apply for more safe schools?

2. I'm currently an international student in undergrad, and I'm wondering if i will be considered as intl applicants in grad application or not? My nationality is not U.S but i will get BA from U.S college... :P awkward~

.... thx a ton!

I applied to MALD as well and was wondering if you applied as a Map Your Future candidate or regular entry candidate?

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MIA, MSFS

Schools Applied To: Georgetown, Columbia SIPA, Johns Hopkins SAIS

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: UC Berkeley

Undergraduate GPA: 3.71

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.9

Undergraduate Major: Economics

GRE Quantitative Score: 750 (82%)

GRE Verbal Score: 800 (99%)

GRE AW Score: 5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1

Years of Work Experience: 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: U.S. Treasury intern, Trade assistant at U.S. commercial service, Marketing Assistant for French publishing company, EPIK teacher

Languages: English, French (working fluency), Vietnamese (native), Korean (elementary)

Quant: Multivariable calculus, econometrics, statistics

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Connects teaching in Korea to research goals, focuses on quantitative background and how it will relate to research methods

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Two professors and professional rec from government internship with connections to department of commerce foreign service

Other: Offered a Fulbright ETA grant that I chose to decline

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MALD (Law & Diplomacy), MIA, MPP, MPA, MIR, MAGES (German & European Studies), MIA-EPGA, MIPS (Int'l Policy Studies), and MA-INTS (int'l Education Policy), MAGG (Global Governance)

Schools Applied To: Monterey Institute for International Studies, Central European University, Georgetown (MAGES), Harvard, Tufts (Fletcher-Map Your Future Candidate), American, Syracuse, Indiana Bloomington, NYU (Steinhardt), Columbia, Florida Int'l University, University of Texas- Austin, Johns Hopkins, Institute of World Politics

Schools Admitted To: Monterey Institute for International Studies, NYU, Florida int'l University

Schools Rejected From: 0 :)

Still Waiting: Remaining

Undergraduate institution: Elon University (NC)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.65

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.87

Undergraduate Major: International Studies, Political Science, and Public Administration

GRE Quantitative Score: 163

GRE Verbal Score: 168

GRE AW Score: 6.0

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): N/a; Graduate May 19, 2012

Years of Work Experience: 0

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Interned with the Office of the Prime Minister of Malta (Human Rights/Migrant Transport Intern); Interned for Jesuit Refugee Services (Refugee Legal Services intern); Volunteered at Marsa Open Centre and taught English and career development to newly arrived migrants into Malta; Selected out of a national pool to be a Charles B. Rangel Scholar in summer 2011 (Foreign Service; Int'l Relations scholars program funded by US Department of State/Howard University); Interned at the Bureau of African Affairs in Algeria conducting research for Consular Services; currently a Virtual Student Foreign Service intern for the US Department of State (Embassy of Croatia)

Languages: French (fluent), Maltese (proficient), and beginning to study Spanish and Italian

Int'l Travel Exp: London (Summer-4 month); European Union WT Trip (1 month); Ireland WT Trip (1 month); Algeria (4 months); Malta (semester- 6 months); India: Issues of Rural India (1 month); Morocco (1 month)

Quant: Int'l Political Economy, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Quantitative Research, International Relations Quantitative Analysis, Political Science Research Methods, and a plethora of independent research projects in the fields of international relations, political philosophy, political science, and public administration

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Statement of purposes are extremely tough and the most important part of the application. After a excrutiating Fulbright process i was able to master the skill of writing, editing, revising, and finalizing SOPs. That is why I was able to make each of my SOPs for all the schools I applied to unique and personable and different (do not continue to repeat each SOP w/ the same statement because majority of the time you make the frequent mistake of naming the wrong university or program and you automatically get penalized for that with the admissions committee (Be careful!). Lastly, I have submitted all of my applications except for UT-Austin (deadline is March 1st for Rangel Fellow applicants) so if you have any questions and such let me know. I gained the key points and tips from the dean of admissions at schools like Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, American, Johns Hopkins, etc. about how to create a successful application even with coming right out of undergraduate without years of work experience in the field. So, if that's you just contact me and we can chat about this!

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I received academic references from my academic advisor & MUN advisor, then my SGA advisor, and the dean of my university who I have grown closely with and even traveled abroad with him.

Other: I attended a very competitive scholars programs that is a target for APSIA schools where they visited us during a VIP meeting to recruit. schools like Harvard, Columbia, American, etc. (basically all the schools I applied to were there). Also, the benefits of being a Rangel Scholar I paid $0 for my application fee waivers and met with many of the Dean of Admissions for schools so I am well knowledgeable about the programs I applied to so if you need help please don't hesitate to ask. If people are interested in the Foreign Service after obtaining their master's definitely talk to me because that is the route i am taking.

Research was accepted to top undergraduate research conferences (Presentations made at: Rome, Italy; Gottenheim, Germany; Gozo, Malta; Budapest, Hungary; Las Vegas, NV; NCUR 2012 in Utah; Harvard University and William & Mary) and to present at a conference call with high official of the Council of Foreign Relations.

Those interested in the Foreign Service with the US Department of State should really consider fellowship programs like Thomas R. Pickering and Charles B. Rangel Graduate Fellowships*

I am a current first year MPP at Duke Sanford. I was also accepted at Harris, Ford, GPPI and some others but chose Sanford over them ... happy to answer questions from any of you about the program or once you're trying to decide on a program! I really agonized over it last year so I am happy to help!

I am a current first year MPP at Duke Sanford. I was also accepted at Harris, Ford, GPPI and some others but chose Sanford over them ... happy to answer questions from any of you about the program or once you're trying to decide on a program! I really agonized over it last year so I am happy to help!

Thanks kyeulsa! Was wondering if you could gauge how much of a role your work experience played in getting into Harris? Or just your overall feel on what might have swung the pendulum in your favor over there?

It isn't my top choice but I would definitely think hard about it if I was admitted. The reality is im straight out of undergrad but i've had unique experiences that allowed me to firmly set my mind to public policy and law...thanks for the input!

Oh gosh! So USC SPPD sent me an email saying they haven't received my transcripts. I checked with my courier service (DHL) who confirmed delivery on the 2nd of December, 2011.

Has USC misplaced them? Are they mistaken? What do you think? I will be calling them tonight anyway to confirm, but what do you guys think?

Also, they asked me to submit a financial form which basically requires a bank letter stating that my expenses will be covered, (if I am taking a student loan).

The thing is, no bank is going to give me a student loan WITHOUT an official acceptance letter. Any ideas to what I could do?

I obviously don't have the money to pay the entire tuition, and nor do my parents, and the plan is to take a loan, if I were to get accepted, so what do I do about this letter?

Any ideas/advice will be hugely appreciated :)

Oh gosh! So USC SPPD sent me an email saying they haven't received my transcripts. I checked with my courier service (DHL) who confirmed delivery on the 2nd of December, 2011.

Has USC misplaced them? Are they mistaken? What do you think? I will be calling them tonight anyway to confirm, but what do you guys think?

Also, they asked me to submit a financial form which basically requires a bank letter stating that my expenses will be covered, (if I am taking a student loan).

The thing is, no bank is going to give me a student loan WITHOUT an official acceptance letter. Any ideas to what I could do?

I obviously don't have the money to pay the entire tuition, and nor do my parents, and the plan is to take a loan, if I were to get accepted, so what do I do about this letter?

Any ideas/advice will be hugely appreciated :)

It is possible they got misplaced before reaching the correct people - that has happened to me before.

I just got the email too, was a bit panicked it had taken this long to be told something was missing (submitted in time for the 15th Dec deadline) and also confused as I posted my transcripts with the financial statement and the email didn't mention that as being missing... You need to fill out form 4 and then get some kind of bank statement...i'm under the impression that the bank statement is just to process your I-20 though, so you could try calling USC and seeing if you can delay providing that until they have an answer for you?

Edited by Helpplease123

It is possible they got misplaced before reaching the correct people - that has happened to me before.

I just got the email too, was a bit panicked it had taken this long to be told something was missing (submitted in time for the 15th Dec deadline) and also confused as I posted my transcripts with the financial statement and the email didn't mention that as being missing... You need to fill out form 4 and then get some kind of bank statement...i'm under the impression that the bank statement is just to process your I-20 though, so you could try calling USC and seeing if you can delay providing that until they have an answer for you?

I just spoke with them. Seems like they misplaced the transcripts and are going to try and locate them, or email me if they still can't find them. Ugh. I hope they find them. I also asked about the financial stuff, and she just asked me to send whatever I could, and if they needed more, they'd let me know.

I was under the impression that the financial info is normally sent out after the decision making? Oh well, guess I just have to be patient with this one.

I just spoke with them. Seems like they misplaced the transcripts and are going to try and locate them, or email me if they still can't find them. Ugh. I hope they find them. I also asked about the financial stuff, and she just asked me to send whatever I could, and if they needed more, they'd let me know.

I was under the impression that the financial info is normally sent out after the decision making? Oh well, guess I just have to be patient with this one.

Your post panicked me, so I suddenly thought...maybe the misplaced mine too but forgot to let me know! Emailed and got an answer that they're there back pretty quickly, as well as an email from the grad office that my scanned financial forms were ok and being added to my application. Hope it's not bad that our applications are only complete now - USC is my first choice!

Your post panicked me, so I suddenly thought...maybe the misplaced mine too but forgot to let me know! Emailed and got an answer that they're there back pretty quickly, as well as an email from the grad office that my scanned financial forms were ok and being added to my application. Hope it's not bad that our applications are only complete now - USC is my first choice!

haha sorry about the panic :P

I know. It's a little late right? that they just have our applications almost complete/complete? The lady I spoke with told me that they are still processing a lot of the applications, and we should start hearing back by March. USC is one of my top choices too :)