Claremont, CA

Guest PI

I'm going to CGU and I'm contemplating renting a small one bedroom or a dirt cheat studio as close to Claremont as possible.

Like some of you here, I had been contemplating a mid point between LA and Claremont as a strategic living situation but as an artist, I find that being too close to LA could become a distraction, and it could eat away into the time I'm supposed to be in the studio working...

I'm open for renting a pad (a house) if other grads were willing to jump aboard... I agree with some of the posters, there are some surrounding areas that rentals are pretty affordable compared to LA rents...

• 1 year later...

Hoping to revive this thread to learn more about the Claremont area from some real life experience. I haven't heard much in the way of "bad things." I would be interested to hear anything that anybody has to offer about the town and surrounding towns like Montclair, Upland, Pomona, and getting out to San Bernadino. I read some from a few years ago about grocery stores, etc. Anything changed? Good options around for groceries, coffee, etc? 

I've found that they have busses and the metro, that will be good enough for me to find my way around!

• 2 months later...

CM, Pomona is a big downgrade in affluence from Claremont. Most things near (esp north of) Foothill Blvd are OK, but you'll come to discover that anything west of Indian Hill Blvd. can be sketchy, esp as you move farther south and away from the 210. The part of Pomona near CPP/Mt. SAC is a little better. The city of Walnut, right next to Pomona, is much better. Pomona is locally famous for their awful roads (seriously, I'm not joking), but they've gotten marginally better in the last couple years.

There's a good supply of grocery stores in the Claremont area. This includes both regular and health food stores. Most of them are on Foothill. Public transportation leaves a bit to be desired that far out from LA, but close to the 5C, the situation is pretty good; the Montclair Transit Center (downtown Claremont) services routes that will take you all the way to Pasadena (though it'll take an age), and from there you can hop on the Gold Line to LA. They also have the Silver Streak, a slightly more expensive bus that hops on and off the freeway to get you to LA waaay faster than street buses, but do check to confirm that it stops at that transit center if you're interested; I haven't taken the SS that far east, myself. Montclair Transit Center also has routes that go throughout Pomona, etc.

(Protip: If you're not familiar with the grocery store chains in this area, Vons is ridiculously expensive. Try Stater Bros instead; it's often much more reasonable.)

Also, they have multiple farmer's markets around here; there's one at Mt. SAC every weekend.

Oh, and at least in my neck of the woods, they have two competing bus services: Foothill Transit (blue buses) and Metro (orange buses). You can buy a reloadable TAP card that works on both, but here's a bit of info to remember, at least as of this writing:

Transfers are good for 2 hours, though if you get the proof of purchase paper, they'll often take it even past that 2hr deadline. But much more importantly:

If you buy a transfer on Foothill (blue) buses, it will work on both Foothill and Metro buses.

If you buy a transfer on Metro (orange) buses, it's ONLY good for Foothill (blue) buses.

So I like to try to catch a Foothill bus going somewhere and purchase the transfer then, and then I can use either bus service (whichever arrives first, lol) on the return trip.

Edited by unbrokenthread

I forgot to add earlier -- Montclair Transit Center also has a Metrolink train station that services a route between San Bernardino and LA Union Station. It has weekend service as well.

As of this writing, the SB line schedule is here. The main website is here.

Note: If you happen to be flying in to (or out of) LAX, Union Station has a bus service, LAX Flyaway, that shuttles you between the station and LAX and will drop you off at your airport terminal. I highly recommend it if you're using public transportation. Really easy.

(For example, if you're flying into LAX, take the LAX Flyaway to Union Station, take the Silver Streak to Montclair Transit Center, and then you're right in the neighborhood of the 5C. Total one-way fare would probably be about $10.)

If y'all need any info about public transportation in this area especially, do feel free to ask.

Edited by unbrokenthread

• 4 weeks later...

Hello y'all!

I am attending the Inter-field Economics-Political Science PhD program in the fall at Claremont Graduate University. I am looking for a good deal for housing. I am using the on-campus options as my benchmark. I won't be owning a car, but I can walk, bike or ride buses. Definitly on a budget! :) Let me know if anyone knows of a nice gig or if anyone is looking or need a roommate.

Bayoán

PS: Found this website today, http://blogs.cuc.claremont.edu/realestate/

Edited by Nosferican

• 3 months later...

Wow I am really late to seeing this for some reason! Thank you unbroken thread for all the information! This might be a stretch, but do you know anything about the Amtrak going through Claremont? I saw at the metro station that out front there is an Amtrak sign as if maybe a shuttle bus goes through there or something to take you to the Ontario station? 

Nosferican, I am in the same boat! I won't be going with a car so I will be relying heavily on busses, walking, and biking everywhere. It definitely looks doable though, not the most walkable town, but definitely doable! 

• 9 months later...

A friend and I are (probably) moving to Claremont.  I might be a student this Fall (2015) in Claremont Graduate University's program in information systems and technology.

I know the tuition is high, but when I met with the director and program coordinator they INSISTED I apply.

We'll be interested in affordable housing.  Keep us in mind.  Thanks.

-lizardclan

• 3 weeks later...

A friend and I are (probably) moving to Claremont.  I might be a student this Fall (2015) in Claremont Graduate University's program in information systems and technology.

I know the tuition is high, but when I met with the director and program coordinator they INSISTED I apply.

We'll be interested in affordable housing.  Keep us in mind.  Thanks.

-lizardclan

Just an update. I have been accepted. Claremont here we come!