NSF GRFP 2011-2012

alexhunterlang

Only 3 letters are considered based on the priority you assign to them. They recommend having more than 3 recommenders down so that if one of your recommenders misses the deadline on the 29th for some reason, you are still hedged in having your application be eligible for review, since it won't be if it doesn't have 3 LORs. I don't recall seeing anything when I was reading about changing/not changing your recommender list once you submit for the initial deadline.

^ Same here! I'm on my last revision. alskdjfal; This is insane. At least one of my profs gave me an extension on an assignment so I could finish my NSF app instead. :P

I think I will go ahead and hit "send emails" on my references, even though I haven't fully briefed them with everything they need yet, just in case the button disappears today. Can anyone confirm whether or not it will continue to let us send the emails through the website after the application deadline (not just after having clicked submit)?

Edited by Mumbet

omg I think I am done with all my essays. :unsure:

I'm really not sure how I feel about this. They will never be perfect.

ETA: Has anyone else still not sent their LOR writers copies of their NSF essays? I didn't want to give mine to anyone but the adviser who was reviewing them for me until they were in half-decent shape. Is it too late for that, with only two weeks left on their clock?

Edited by gellert

Wow, I really hope it's not denied... To be off by 40 seconds is insane, but they may have a no-tolerance policy... I would definitely ask them about it and ask them to reconsider. Best of luck with that.

Nah, if the system let you do it, that's the biggest indicator. For all they knew, your own computer could have said you were one minute early.

Mmmm, I don't know about that. I don't think the system is set up to be locked out given that they have staggered deadlines for different fields. I would call them tomorrow to make sure / beg if necessary. I can't imagine them not making an exception for that, but it's always better to make sure than assume.

Also, someone had a question about references? There is an option to "manage references" once you log in. You can still edit/delete/send email to your LOR writers.

To reassure people, last year they still evaluated people who submitted up to a half hour late. Now convincing them to review you in the right category after you erroneously put the start of your grad program a year early, that was more difficult...

Good luck all!

• 2 weeks later...

So my PhD advisor forgot to submit her reference letter by the deadline last night, despite me reminding her multiple times in person and via email. She's currently trying to contact people to see if she can still submit it. Anyone have something similar happen to them? Can reference letters be submitted after the deadline, or am I SOL?

So my PhD advisor forgot to submit her reference letter by the deadline last night, despite me reminding her multiple times in person and via email. She's currently trying to contact people to see if she can still submit it. Anyone have something similar happen to them? Can reference letters be submitted after the deadline, or am I SOL?

Wow, that's terrible. Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I think the NSF makes it pretty clear on their website, the program solicitation and in their reference reminder emails that no exceptions can be made.

This is a line from the reminder emails: "Reference letters cannot be accepted after the deadline under any circumstances"

But perhaps some people have had luck under extreme conditions.

Hopefully you can apply next year.

My turn for a freak out. Ever do something REALLY dumb you cannot imagine that it happened? I purposely changed one of my group associations that I have written at the base of my Personal section to the WRONG name. Even worse - it's a prominent primate society - of course that is my speciality and focus of research. I KNOW the name, I've been a member for 6 years....

Nothing to be done about it now but how bad do you think this will make me look?

Pez, same thing happened to me. I pretty much wouldn't let my advisor leave the NSF alone until they agreed to accept the letter and my app. They're pretty harsh, but not impossible to reason with. Seriously, keep trying to get them to accept it and they probably will. It's worth a shot