NSF EAPSI

msafiri

Hey there! I'm starting to think ahead for the fall (and summer 2012) and I've been thinking about applying to the East Asia and Pacific Summer Institutes (EAPSI) program, specifically to go to Australia or maybe New Zealand. I realize this is getting ahead since the information hasn't even been updated for the next application cycle on their website yet. But, does anyone here have any experience applying to this program? I'd love to have a place to get feedback on my proposal and/or tips from past successful applicants. Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So, I take it they sent out the first round of offers Feb. 16th with instructions to reply by Monday, Feb. 19th. I suppose they might send out a new round of offers today.

Having not received any word yet (for NZ), I am a little put off.

Well, Fastlane went down and came back up last night, which used to precede the posting of GRFP results. No word on EAPSI though...

Any tentative offers out there for China? I'm wondering if they just haven't gotten to us, or if I should assume I've been passed over since first round offers seem to have started on Friday 2/16.

Just so people don't worry, it seems like the first wave offered the evening of the 15th was just for Japan, and then some offers went out for NZ on Friday the 17th. Yes, the acceptances are tentative, but I've heard that the confirmation from the host country isn't usually the step where students are culled. It makes sense at least for Japan that we'd hear early, since there are more EAPSI spots for Japan than for any other country so they could accept a higher percentage of applicants.

I also have a question: In my tentative offer I was told I had 24hrs to reply (kind of ironic after they kept us waiting for months), and to write to three people at the NSF by 5pm Thurs. Feb. 16 with my answer. I wrote back well before then, but never got a confirmation of my response from anyone. Is this the same for others? I'm slightly paranoid my "yes, I would love to participate" email didn't make it through.

I also have a question: In my tentative offer I was told I had 24hrs to reply (kind of ironic after they kept us waiting for months), and to write to three people at the NSF by 5pm Thurs. Feb. 16 with my answer. I wrote back well before then, but never got a confirmation of my response from anyone. Is this the same for others? I'm slightly paranoid my "yes, I would love to participate" email didn't make it through.

Not to cause you any grief, but I replied "yes" to my Japan tentative acceptance and they responded with instructions (like get a passport if you don't have one, keep these dates open, etc.). It's possible that they're just getting backed up with emails so I don't know if you should really be concerned (and I really don't want to cause you to panic). However, if the wait becomes unberable (as it probably would be for me), maybe you could send them a question to prompt some sort of response/communication?