Florida State University

lauren

Guest redice1980

I am not going there this fall, but I am an alum of the crim dept. I think you will like living in Tallahassee. The weather is pretty mild and great beaches are close by. St. George Island is the best by the way. They have excellent services for students. The apartments on the egde of campus can be pretty pricey though. If you need to get something away from campus look for something on the bus route or check with some of the business on the edge of campus. Some places, ecspecially bars that aren't open during the day will sell parking passes at pretty reasonable rates. Parking on-campus is a joke, the stadium is about the only place that has any open spots, but there are buses running constantly so it isn't too bad. Just be sure to allow plenty of time. Also, be careful where you park. Everyone in town has contracts with towing companies and they will tow you in a heartbeat if you park where you are not supposed to. One time I saw where someone parked at a frat house and they covered the car in shaving cream and wrote "I park illegally" in shoe polish on the windows. I guess thats cheaper than hiring a tow company. Also, go to at least one football game while you are there. I know it sounds silly, but you will regret it if you don't. They are great. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ammar,

I think I can finally say that I have chosen FSU! We are in completely different fields (I'm in biological science), but it is still nice to hear that someone else on this board is headed in my direction. I am visiting next week to be sure that all is well, but I have already decided in my heart of hearts. I was accepted to several other schools that looked better according to the numbers, but everything I have observed for myself has pointed me towards FSU. My advisor is a superstar in my field. Everyone that comes out of his lab goes on to do incredible work, so hopefully I won't be a fluke. Did you visit already? What did you think?

I'm pretty much just waiting to hear from 1 school (equal in everything, but in a perfect location for me) and am close to choosing FSU. I'm not visiting until March 30, but I'm pretty sure I'm going there. I already pulled my application or informed all of the schools that I've been accepted at that I won't be going, except the school I'm waiting on and 1 school in case my visit is a disaster. I talked about working with 2 professors in my SoP, but I'm not sure who I'll be working with next year, and apparently the poli sci department is pretty flexible when it comes to switching advisors. So we'll see how the visit goes, but I'm almost certain I'll be a Seminole next year. The closer I get to confirming, the more I realize that their program almost perfectly fits me. Anyways, I'm pretty excited.

Good luck on your visit, and do inform me of how it went.

Also, flag football? I'm an IM junkie, so I'm pretty sure I'll be playing flag football, softball, basketball and whatever else I can get other dorks like me to play. For the women out their who are wondering whether this is some jock guy thing, I was thinking of putting together corec teams as just a way of doing something active and having some fun. I'd like to get some grad school teams going. I know it's premature, but besides books and beer, this is what I live for.

Ammar is actually my first name, so if you see me at grad school orientation or around campus, feel free to introduce yourself. This goes for anyone else also going to FSU or that I may run into at conferences in the future. I'm assuming there won't be any other Ammar's in the grad school at FSU, but who knows?

Yeah poli sci. I'm waiting on one more decision and a possible funding offer, but it looks fairly certain that I will attend FSU starting this fall.

In terms of intramurals, I'm up for football, softball, hockey of just about any type, or bowling. I think I heard something about the department participating in a softball league, but there were a few programs that brought this up when I spoke to various reps and I can't remember if FSU was one of them. I visited the school earlier this year (and will be at the second visitation weekend) and it seems like shorts/t-shirts are the school uniform. Winter in Tallahassee is going to be a LOT nicer than in South Bend, IN.

• 2 weeks later...

I also visited Emory, and while they have an excellent program, everyone up there is much more uptight than at FSU. T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops are acceptable. That is my kind of school. There is also no TAing at FSU.

Hi Chaos,

I went to the Emory interview weekend too. Are you the guy from southern georgia or is there even ANOTHER one from the Emory interview weekend choosing FSU? I have to say that my experiences seem to mirror your own and if they don't have a softball team right now, then maybe we can get it started again. I can pitch, though I'm out of practice, catch, or play infield and can hit pretty well, but tend to either pull the ball down the third base line or shoot it over second.

You don't TA in the sense of grading and discussing with section. After two years they let you teach your own courses over the summer and occasionally during the spring or fall. They do have TAs for the graduate methods courses.

If you are going down there next week you should talk to Daniel Scheller about the softball team. He used to manage it, but didn't this year. But since he is done with his comps, he may be interested in starting back up.

Also I think that they stick the first year Americanists in an office together and the IR people in an office together, so we may be sharing an office.

I was the only Americanist down there this past week which made for an interesting panel.

When you are down there, be sure to see the experimental lab. FSU is really a leader in the area of game-theoretic experimental research. I don't know much about it, but it is really cool.

You don't TA in the sense of grading and discussing with section. After two years they let you teach your own courses over the summer and occasionally during the spring or fall. They do have TAs for the graduate methods courses.

If you are going down there next week you should talk to Daniel Scheller about the softball team. He used to manage it, but didn't this year. But since he is done with his comps, he may be interested in starting back up.

Also I think that they stick the first year Americanists in an office together and the IR people in an office together, so we may be sharing an office.

I was the only Americanist down there this past week which made for an interesting panel.

When you are down there, be sure to see the experimental lab. FSU is really a leader in the area of game-theoretic experimental research. I don't know much about it, but it is really cool.

Ah... then that's the good kind of TAing.

Yeah, I went down on my own to visit this past Fall as a mini-vacation and am going again this weekend. I'm fairly certain that one of the reasons they accepted me was because of my interest in their experimental lab. There HAVE to be more americanists than just the two of us, since they seem to do that rather well. If we do end up sharing an office, I have a coffee mug that can be plugged into the wall to heat water for tea/ramen.

Yeah, they said that more would be coming down on the second trip. From talking the faculty and grad student, they seem to have a really good, young faculty in American politics. Not as many students want to study American, though. IR is just sexier I guess. I guess that means that the jobs will be plentiful for our kind in about 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Looks like I'll be joining you guys at FSU this fall. I'm going for a masters in HIstory and later for one in Library Science. I just spent the weekend in Tallahasse looking for apartments (luckily I only live like 2hrs away) and needless to say...it was daunting and intimidating. A lot of places were either sketchy, rundown, or party central. Here's to me finding a nice place to live soon!

I was told (by current grad students), that the best places to live are East of campus. Directly West of campus is supposed to be undergrad party central. Northwest is supposedly hit-or-miss in terms of atmosphere. Some were "shady", others were undergrads, others were quite nice. I saw some nice places (online) due North of campus, due East of campus (governor's square area) and Southeast of campus. Everything requires either a car or the willingness to walk significant distances to a bus stop. On that note, current grad students other people on the forum have mentioned that a car is a necessity. I've been apartment hunting as well, and will be going down some time in May to put some stuff in storage, choose a place, and possibly start the process of adopting a cat/dog.

The Gov Square Mall area is really nice. Adopt from the Tallahassee Animal Shelter if you can. The staff there are very friendly and it's always better to rescue a pet from death, imo. And yes, you will likely need a car. Many people can and do make do riding the bus but a lot depends on where you live. I used to ride the buses around town all the time before I got a car.

So I am a soon-to-be Seminole, studying political science, American and Comparative. I think that all three of the people I met considering FSU and Emory chose FSU.

Who was the other one considering Emory? Was he at the interview weekend too?

I only say "he" because I know that the only girl at the interview will be going to Emory.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use