The waiting is the hardest part

storiaitaliana

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one school with rolling admissions e-mail me and said that they'd get back to me with the results in about 2 weeks. It has been 3 and a half weeks so far. Still haven't heard from them.

I'm assuming they are being held up because they have to get the record-setting jumbo-sized financial aid package they are giving me approved. :D

Colorado State (the school I mentioned earlier in this thread) just posted my admission status on the website. I've been accepted. Now I just have to see what kind of financial package I get (if any).

If you're in the humanities, you might not be so bad off. The Chronicle reports that ETS is predicting much lower numbers of GRE takers this year. If there are more applicants, it will come from a much higher percentage of non-trads. While this makes sense, will the number of folks being laid off and returning to school make up for the number of folks who aren't applying out of undergrad?

I posted this quip in the Government Affairs board, but I thought it might interest those of you following this discussion.

"As a result of the financial crisis, [Kennedy School Dean] Ellwood said, the school anticipates a sharp rise in domestic applications for next year, citing an 80 percent increase in applications for the Kennedy School

No, I haven't read anything exactly on point. I did google around to see what was up and I came back with several articles in 2001 and 2004 about how during a recession, folks head to grad school.

In retrospect, I think we're 8 years into this recession.

Of course, people who make rational business decisions wait until they lose their job or run into a wall as far as promotions go and then head to business school or public policy school. I think the numbers Linden cites, less graduate testing over all coupled with an increase in professional school applications, signals that the humanities may have less applicants this year.

...but those of us that want that English Phd, we're going to apply no matter what, because clearly we don't think about what's in our best financial interest. I know if I did, I'd hang on to my sweet job at a large law firm instead of taking the vow of poverty for 7-8 years.

Here's an article that speaks to this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/educa ... .html?_r=1

December 9, 2008

Those Taking Graduate Test Abruptly Drop in Number

By TAMAR LEWIN

In bad times, the conventional wisdom has it, people flock to graduate school. But there is at least one sign that in this recession, that may not happen.

After years of steady growth, the number of students taking the Graduate Record Examination, which is required for most graduate programs, is on course to decline this year.

At the start of the year, the Educational Testing Service, which administers the $140 exam, projected that 675,000 students would take it by year

• 2 weeks later...

How do you all stand it? This break time is the worst, because I *know* there won't be any activity on my apps, so it is useless to even refresh any status pages (and I still have some apps to finish up and last-minute transcripts to get since I ran out, and I can't do anything on those either!).

I've been actually thinking about forcing myself to stop checking this forum. I am also trying to give up the fantasy that the staff of the schools to which I applied will come in during the Winter Break just to send me an email about my admission. Right. I have also promised myself I will not check the online countdown calendar I set up. (Seventy-six days to go till March 13, when I am predicting I will hear from my top choice.)

Linden

Staff do seem to be working on apps at the minute a bit though, Princeton and Penn updated to say that had my official GRE scores on Christmas eve! Good to see the USPS is still working too lol.

(Seventy-six days to go till March 16...)

Only 76 days left? Man time is flying. I remember when I had 150 days until mid March. At this rate, coupled with some filler activities for the next few months, that date will arrive in no time hopefully with some good news for you - and everyone else too :)